Nothing left to write...

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (64 posts)
  1. davidlivermore profile image91
    davidlivermoreposted 10 years ago

I have nothing left to write.  The last two hubs I wrote were an experiment to see if I could write "viral" content, which I don't think I did very well on.

Beyond that, I think I have ran out of topics to write on Hubpages.  I planned to start novel writing this year, but with a possible major promotion at work coming up, I've been focusing mostly on that.  I know, it's an excuse, but this is a promotion I have wanted for six years.  That being said, I decided I still wanted to write on Hubpages.  I am wracking my brain thinking of topics, and I have finally drawn a blank.

Any advice?

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you write about your job or line of work?

davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A lot of my hubs have touched on that topic, my most successful hubs are about that, in fact.  I fear that is tapped out as well.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about "The Writer Who Knew No More Words" ?  I am not being sarcastic or anything rude, David. You write very well and I believe you can come up with a funny creative story about a writer who has written so many things that he finally ran out of words. I agree with Luis, he has a great idea about Google Alerts. StumbleUpon is another site that you can sign up for and follow your favorite topics. It is a very good way to find things to write about.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One of the "aids" that I use that has given me plenty of topics/ideas is Google Alerts. Once you set it up you will get a daily email with articles, news, going ons etc about the topic of your choice.

3. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you do your own work on your Mini Cooper?
      How to change fuel injectors on a Mini Cooper
      How to diagnose engine noise in a Mini Cooper
      How to change brake pads in a Mini Cooper
      You get the picture--there must be at least 100 things you can do, and I am sure there are a lot of shadetree Mini Cooper fans out there that would like the help.

I do nothing with my Mini Cooper except drive it.  I'm not a car person, except that I love the look and feel.  Though, I do have a hub that features my Mini.

Still, it's a topic to think about.  Maybe the process of buying and maintaining a Mini.  Hmm...

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
          DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I restored a ´52 Chevy truck about 30 years ago, long before the days of the internet. I could have used advice, including when I bought it (I could have bought a better truck even cheaper) and some basic maintenance tips.

4. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it is the weather. I cannot think of anything to write either. I have been so busy clearing up malware on my computer in this frigid weather. I think my mind is blocked by ice. However, I have about ten ideas, and know it is important to pick one and move on. So I will tell you the same thing. Think Spring and pick a topic or make a list and select the one that sounds best. The dream job sounds inspiring to me as to others on this thread. Good luck. Your writing is superb, so keep at it. Hugs.  Audrey

5. kevinfream profile image70
      kevinfreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Huh? 175 hubs and you're done? Doubtful. Check your motivations and that will plot your next course. Do the novel, but not for fame or riches, as it's a real long shot.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

There is always something to write about, David. How about "How to make yourself eligible for promotion in your job."  Congratulations on that. You may just have a mild case of "writer's block".  Maybe a walk in nature will give you some inspiration.  Best wishes to you.

7. Edward J. Palumbo profile image85
      Edward J. Palumboposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Be patient with yourself! The next "inspiration" may come from the most unexpected source - the motorist who's texting while driving (successful at neither), the witty comment of a colleague and whatever prompted it, the do-it- yourself project that should have been done by someone else - something will trigger a smile, a memory or an afterthought, and that's something to write about. Take a break and recharge your creative batteries.

8. justmesuzanne profile image85
      justmesuzanneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People like to hear about common, everyday things.Just think about writing blog post style stuff in between your major articles. I'm always amazed by how much people seem to enjoy personal observations.

9. Tolovaj profile image90
      Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you feel you are empty as a writer, I am sure this is a temporary thing. Just switch off for a while, read something and you'll burst with ideas in no time. I am sure each of your hubs can give you at least two fresh ideas for more articles.
      One good trick is to write something completely different from the format / environment you are used to. I don't recommend you to start with a novel in this feeling. I have written several novels and you need some kind of commitment to push things further, otherwise it can give you a lot of frustration. Instead of that write a short story, something you can make in six hours max (without editing).
      Don't get me wrong, writing a short story can be much harder than writing a novel. But you mentioned problem with time, so this is probably better solution for you at the moment.
      If you need inspiration, read a book. It is old fashioned solution, but it works like a bomb.

10. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Since you write a lot about the workplace, tell us about the worst employee you've ever had (minus real names)?  That sounds like a good hub. I've had lots of them.

11. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I just quickly ran down your list of hubs and most of them are "how to" content. People love these types of articles. How about "What Not to Do in an Interview", "What Not to Do in a Grocery Store",  ""What Not to Do in ...", etc.

I once wrote a short comment somewhere about when being interviewed for a job do not ever answer a question, with "Are you serious?" and it really went wild with likes and comments.

12. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've felt that way more than a few times. I usually take a break from writing for a while. If I get an idea for a topic to write about, I put a note in my phone. Once I have a few ideas, I sit down and think about them for a while, and see which would be the best to start with.

2. Jennifer Yamada profile image60
    Jennifer Yamadaposted 10 years ago

You should take a break from writing hubs: If you keep trying to force inspiration, it won't happen. Topics are gonna come naturally and it may take days or even weeks to come up with something to write about. Don't despair! You'll get inspired again. smile

You're probably right.  I guess it is better to let the topics come naturally.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

+1.000

3. electronician profile image79
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

Perhaps you could write a hub about landing that dream job / promotion you've always wanted based on your own personal experience.

Aside from that the best thing to do is to stop thinking about writing and start looking for interesting new things to learn about / do / read about - then the article ideas will come on their own when you are ready.

4. DreamerMeg profile image81
    DreamerMegposted 10 years ago

Apply rear end to seat and write. This is not my advice but that of professional writers who have to write to get paid. They sit down at a regular time and stay there and write. Peter Elbow suggests using free writing techniques. Rowena Murray suggests writing a phrase at the top of each page suggesting the writing is draft only and giving yourself permission to make mistakes.

Free writing is where you write any rubbish at all, just WRITE. You will find that it gets you in the habit of writing and will start the ideas flowing. Editing comes later.

5. blueheron profile image92
    blueheronposted 10 years ago

Congratulations! You are the first person in the world to run out of opinions and advice. You should probably tell us how you achieved this nurvana-like state.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Play nicely. This happens to all of us at one time or another.................wink

2. davidlivermore profile image91

People like you are why I don't post on the forums often.

3. LongTimeMother profile image91
      LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ROFL.  Come down to Australia, blueheron. That's our kind of humour! smile

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

lol  This just struck me as so spontaneous and funny.  David, you are a gifted writer -- let it rest for awhile and one of these days you will be inspired with a topic / ideas you have never even thought about. You are thinking too much about it and putting yourself under pressure and stress by trying too hard. Let it go and let it be for now. Let your spirit give you that boost of inspiration after a nice and well-deserved rest.

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I bet when you reached fifty hubs, you thought, "what else will I write about?" I said that to myself at 25 hubs and have since more than doubled that number. You're a good writer and the world is full of subjects you haven't covered yet. You will think of more to write about after a well-deserved break. Rest up well because expanding your topics may require writing more about topics that aren't in your niche and require more research and work. That's what I'm afraid of, that I'll run out of what I know and really have to "investigate" and do more research for my next topic. Happy rest and happy writing davidlivermore.

7. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
    wrenchBiscuitposted 10 years ago

Your articles are very well written and aesthetically pleasing. I think a lot of what you have written has the potential to "go  viral". The only question you need to answer is ,"How much money am I willing to spend?" Let's face it,just like in the "real world", a majority of the people who do well on the internet have an advertising budget.Sure there are exceptions to every rule,but the chances of great content going viral simply on it's on merits is slim to none.If your goal is to go viral, then I think you should elevate your marketing  to the same level as your writing.

8. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

Well if you have been waiting for 6 years for this promotion, I really hope its worth it, like a 50-100% pay increase as that's a long time to be waiting. I find it's easier for me to find topics to write about as all my hubs are of my niche, health and fitness. Not sure how I would do if I wrote random topics.

9. Frank Sturm profile image81
    Frank Sturmposted 10 years ago

This was a great article on hub pages I read that described one way to solve your exact problem. This writer is also a photographer and suggests taking pictures to write. Many times the prompt ideas for us to write about. http://billybuc.hubpages.com/hub/The-Ca … est-Friend

10. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Why don't you write something simply for the love of writing or the subject? Don't write something with the intent of it going viral or making money... just unclog your brain... write a love poem or a short fiction story about someone you saw on the street one day. Do it cause it's fun.

1. Derek James3rd1 profile image57
      Derek James3rd1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Beth

Me, too.

11. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Here are some ideas:

A poem about sex or flirtation
    The weirdest recipe you know
    The worst things in the world that you hate
    Something that people can do to improve themselves
    Your favourite animal - an in depth hub
    A top ten favourite book list in a genre
    Your favourite country and why
    The best day of the year and why
    Childhood vs adulthood

OMGosh ! The weirdest recipe!  I have read really old cookbooks, like "The Compleat Housewife" by Eliza Smith, first published in 1727. It is full of recipes that makes one go "ewwwwww!", and also tips on how a housewife should run her home and family.  Someone could really write a great hub on those ideas and proprieties of the past.

12. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 10 years ago

Keep a list!  I have a word document where I write down ideas when they come to me, or when I see something that sparks my interest on the TV or I read something in the news and a magazine.  Then if I can come up with something I just scroll through it until something catches my fancy

Also I agree with Beth, start writing things because they interest you and fire up your brain cells.  If you are chasing a viral hub it will probably never happen and only be a short-lived phenomenon anyway.  My two most highly trafficked hub were a complete surprise and on topics I didn't think many people (except me) would find interesting

13. Hendrika profile image68
    Hendrikaposted 10 years ago

If you get any ideas, please pass them on. I only have a few Hubs but I am so useless I have to research for ages and then try and write for ages again.

14. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Hendrika. It takes me a while to research, and my typing is slow. Believe in yourself and get excited about a topic. You can do it.

15. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 10 years ago

Don't worry about it. Make a little residual income in the meantime. Maybe you'll get into something new to write about in the near future. Maybe you'll go visiting a church and write about your experience, a sports arena, an amusement park, museum, a farm, circus, dog/cat show, car show, zoo and etc...

Abandoned houses ....

16. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

David - I developed a news aggregator that gets up-to-date news items for various topics. This is a good way of getting ideas. I can add new topics to suit.
    see www(dot)wotisnew(dot)com
    another one I use is
    www(dot)newsblur(dot)com

cheers

17. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 10 years ago

Hi

You can write on many thing.
    1. Your views on Bertrand Russel's "Why I am not a Christian",
    2. How Buddha who did not have any religion was himself made into a God.
    3. What made Hitler, an avowed vegetarian, relish blood-letting, and much else besides, of Jews.
    4. Which fabric makes ideal curtains.
    5. Do Bose speakers really do what they are proclaimed to do.
    6. The relation between George Washington and Denzel Washington.

In fact, I can think of innumerable topics. Only,  I cannot write about them as well big_smile

18. CarpetDiem profile image70
    CarpetDiemposted 10 years ago

If you have kids, you will never run out of things to write about! At least with my two kids, they are always giving me ideas... it's just tough getting the ideas out of my head and onto paper (or a computer screen). smile

19. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I have just done the exact opposite of the advice I gave and have written a viral hub. It is actually a pre-viral hub, but I will let you all know just as soon as I get my first one million views... any day now.

1. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, Beth!  One million views!!! yikes

Wait.  You were being sarcastic, and I fell for it (again).  Well played, Madame.  Well played.

P.S. Would anyone buy that I "fell for it," ironically?  Good one, eh guys? ... . . . Guys??

*crickets chirping*

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, no. I was just being pre-positive.

1. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"pre-positive" that's definitely viral - boggles the mind, a 'dash' perchance -|- with a tiny tail.

1. profile image0

I watch a lot of futuristic sci-fi. It will be possible for all mankind one day.

2. janderson99 profile image54

I think a viral hub about viral hubs could go viral

1. profile image0

Im on it.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Yeaaah ! Beth.  Keep us updated.

1. profile image0

lol. I think Im already close to 500, 000... I might be 1 or 2 shy.

20. Mark Ewbie profile image79
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

I ran out of things to write three years ago.

Then I set up a user called Mark Ewbie.

The rest is his story.

21. Gavino profile image60
    Gavinoposted 10 years ago

You'd be surprised at what you can come up with just by watching the world news.

22. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Actually, a good way to break out of writer's block is the
    24-hour challenge
    I challenge you to write a featured hub about one of the following:

► dollup
    ► pre-positive (if Beth will allow pinching her gem)
    ► blurb
    ► ooze
    ► stick-ghosts with original images

1. Mark Ewbie profile image79
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oooh, oooh I have a stick ghost about my person.  Must not post.  Must not post.

2. profile image0

Ive never heard anything that sounded so close to being somewhat dirty, in all my life.

Mark, you are obligated by your HPs contract to post the ghost.

Thanks for asking!
        http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8691817_f248.jpg

1. janderson99 profile image54

Actually striking a match stick releases its evil ghost

2. profile image0

lol. Only you.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
            Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think we all run out of ideas at times. Then I stop writing for a few days, and read, or take walks, and all at once I get a few ideas at a time. Keep a place to write them down, so when an idea strikes, you don't forget it.

Congrats on the promotion!

3. janderson99 profile image54

Here's another
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8692905_f248.jpg

Very good.  Zazzle are going to be overrun with them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)