What Happened To My Traffic?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (82 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image92
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

My page views have taken a dive.  Anyone else experiencing this?

1. lbsf1 profile image79
      lbsf1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Personally I haven't (But I only get a low number of views anyway), however there were some discussions on here last week with people saying their traffic had dropped aswell.

Some put it down to spring break (jokingly or not, I'm bad at telling sarcasm), however there did seem a general consensus that the summer brings less views and this may just be the start of that. There was some talk about google making some changes however there seemed to be no full proff of this.

vocalcoachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember this happening for the last 2 years, but still it may be the reason.  Thanks so much.

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine started diving two days ago. I don't know what is going on.

Hopefully our traffic will pick up soon.

3. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the problem is spring break or summer. Something else has happened.

I've been thinking the same thing.

4. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Vocal coach,
      Yes. I have the same problem. Lately, and my health is not good, I've written many hubs and only a few comments.
      I'm going to try a new set of topics or style.
      Peace.

1. junko profile image69
        junkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth, The population has changed and alot of the authors  has moved on and closed their mines(minds) on hubpages. Many of the friends and relationships we cultivated in our freshman years is no more. Comments and being exposed, advertised, or featured is out of our control. Its up to us to comunicate and keep each other on hubpage's ticatape so others can know that, we are here. I'm looking to move on but, can't say when or where. My stocks in hubpages I think is under performing for sure.

2. vocalcoach profile image92

Hi Kenneth.  So sorry to hear about your health problems.  Sure puts a damper on life.

1. kenneth avery profile image80

@ Junko, Vocalcoach, Bravewarrior and all involved in this LOSS OF TRAFFIC discussion,
          Last night I chatted with one of my first followers I was blessed with on HP. She has experienced the same thing via way of loss of traffic. She stated that, like Junko, some of the original writers we all knew, for some reason have moved on or went to other sites.
          I cannot say in complete honesty that I haven't thought of getting on with another site, but simply, I wouldn't be fair to those who have followed and endured me for so long.
          That is not self-praise, but my heart speaking.
          My friend and I talked about me changing my writing style, if yiou call it a style, but she advised to not change. Just stay the course and hopefully all of our scores will go up and traffic will be like the ocean's tide and come back in someday.
          Peace, everyone.
          K.

I've decided to do just this.  'Ride the wave' as you say.  And now that I know it's not just me having a dip in traffic, but others are as well, I feel better about it.  Thanks Ken.

vocalcoach,
              I am going with you and "ride this wave," as you say. After all, we have things to say and people to say it to. I do appreciate friendly ears such as yours. Hey, there is a hub idea for you: What Would We Do Without Those Friendly Ears?
              You can have it. On me.
              Peace.
              K.

If I write a hub with this title, I will dedicate it to you Ken.  "Friendly Ears"  - great idea.

5. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mine seemed to have slowed way down all of a sudden. On the 31st of March my account was stalled for over 30 hours. No views recorded, no pennies adding up... At the time I seem to have been the only one experiencing the stall in stats. Now I wonder what's going on.

Oh dear.  I wonder what happened?  Sure hope you don't experience this again.

6. bravewarrior profile image87

Faith, another hubber has asked the same question of the forum, so it seems to be apparent that something out of the ordinary is going on.

1. lbsf1 profile image79
        lbsf1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My stats stalled for over 24 hours on that date aswell.

7. Good Guy profile image84
      Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I posted this problem in the forum a few days ago.  My traffic has nose-dived to almost 50%.  Today it is at its lowest.  This has been going on in my case for the last few weeks.  It is indeed very worrying!

It is a worry - especially when one works hard to keep traffic coming in.

Has your traffic improved at all since you posted your comment?

1. Good Guy profile image84

My traffic improved a bit yesterday, but I just checked, it is down again.  No improvement as such.

8. kenneth avery profile image80

Vocal coach,
      My page views have went down, so let me ask ALL OF YOU . . .what do I do?
      1. Write racy love stories
      2. Write poetry
      3. Write hubs about our society
      I am at my wit' send.
      Help!

1. cherylone profile image89
        cheryloneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is really stalled and I was also wondering why.  However, I have noticed a trend--there are many times when traffic slows down and at times even seems to have disappeared--but perseverance seems to be the answer.  Keep moving along.  Write a hub about something you really love, like racing or football.  Keep writing those kinds of hubs and I think you will find (as I have) that all of a sudden your traffic is back.

I like your attitude and I actually started doing this.  Your comments are a big help and I thank you.

Thank you, I am glad I could help.  I hope it works for you.

2. kenneth avery profile image80

@cherylone, I agree with vocalcoach. Your attitude is fine. Mine could be like yours. I am writing as hard as I can and it seems to be working, but when I give out. I give out.
          My world is not going to end if my traffic drops some, but I cannot help taking it so personal.
          Peace to all.
          K.

Thanks, I also try not to take it personally.  But sometimes it does feel that way doesn't it?

9. bravewarrior profile image87

We seem to be stalled again. My account hasn't updated in 22 hours as of 12:57 p.m,. April 9, 2014.

1. LCDWriter profile image90
        LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are not the only one.  Maybe it has something to do with the experiments they are running on displays or something like that.

Hmmm.  It could be. Sure would be nice to notify us if this is the case.

What the heck?  You must be getting frustrated right about now, Sha.

10. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Audrey, Yep. I was just about to ask if anyone has seen any red arrows for increasing traffic. They are non-existent in my stats. A few days ago I had a Brief spell where I thought one hub was going to go viral and then, kerplop. Nose dive.
      sad

Nell, I'd LOVE to ever have 600 views a day but it would make me cry if I lost that many. Sorry to hear that. Something is definitely going on.
      P

Hey, Peg,
        Kenneth here.
        I was, at one time, obsessed with my score, the number on my profile photo. One day it was high, then low, then back to high. I checked my hubs about four hours on and per per day, so this, the traffic measurement, has all the earmarkings of "that" type of obsession, so let's all just treat it like it is. An internet writers' website. Not a living, breathing thing.
        Hey, not a bad hub idea: Is HubPages a Living  Thing?
        You can have it with my blessings, Peg.
        Peace.
        K.

1. PegCole17 profile image94

Hey there Kenneth,
          Thanks for the gift - it's not really my area of expertise, though. I just observe the changes that come and go on the site and go with the flow. Not really too obsessed with the scores- although I do pout for hours when I lose a point or two. Perhaps HP needs to have a thread with a list of great titles available for hubbers to adopt and use.
          neutral

Peg, you are most-welcome. I am not that interested in the tech-based hubs. I guess my two areas's of work are abstract poetry and the List of type of hubs. Now and then I will break down and do a warm, sensitive hub and then drink some coffee, take a nap and write more.
            I think it's a journey of learning.
            And I think of you now as my New friend.
            Deal?
            Peace.
            K.

1. PegCole17 profile image94

Thanks Kenneth smile
              Happy Monday!

I have a few today and I noticed a slight increase in traffic.  Let's hope it continues for all of us and then some.

I, too have some beautiful red arrows and traffic is picking up.  Hoot - hoot!

2. Victoria Lynn profile image87
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

Mine's about the same. I do dread summer traffic, though. Always goes down. :-(

1. randomcreative profile image86
      randomcreativeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's the same for me, too. I expect that my numbers will remain pretty steady through Easter, but I'll surely get a drop after that.

My score went from 82 to 85 in a week. Thank God. I was beginning to think that HubPages had various levels of success, and I was banished to the "Outcast Hubber Zone."

Victoria,
      Read my box above about me begging for help!

3. vocalcoach profile image92

I'm going to think positive all summer long smile

4. kenneth avery profile image80

hi, Victoria, vocalcoach, and all hubbers in this discussion,
      My number goes up and down like a yo-yo from day to day and I am hitting my head against my laptop screen, but, I have one hub in the "Hub Pen," that when finished, will certainly drive my numbers up and I have the America's Destination channel to thank for this.
      And God, of course, who is standing by me in my frustration.
      No, this is not the end of life or the world. But I wish my score would take on a meteortic nature.
      I hope to you all, a GREAT day.
      Love you all.
      Peace.
      K.

1. Victoria Lynn profile image87
        Victoria Lynnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, my, after saying mine was about the same, the past two days have been abysmal. :-( It usually picks up with my Easter hubs, so I'm hoping . . . .

5. kenneth avery profile image80

@ Victoria and vocalcoach:
      I have been blessed with a few new followers and that is a blessing from God, I tell you. I have read hubs by people who have in the area of 1000 followers. Wow! That is my goal now to have that many followers.
      I am thankful to have you two in my followers list. I cherish you both and I want you to know that.
      The sun is gorgeous where I live in Hamilton, Alabama, which is in northwest Alabama, but . . . the pollen is reeking havoc with my sinuses. Too much info. Sorry.
      Hope your trend of increase in traffic continues.
      Peace.
      K.

Thank you Ken.  I feel just as blessed to have you as a follower.
        Enjoy the sounds and smells of spring (allergies and all) smile

3. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Mine seems to be riding up and down since January. I'll get down in the dumps days followed by really reasonable days. I think it's just traffic in general.

Hi Suzanne - You may be right.  I'll just 'ride it out.'

Hello, Suzanne and psychicdog.net,
      I cannot get to all of you, but seemingly, the audience has changed drastically in HP. Do you agree? There was a time when I would publish a hub and within two hours, I was covered up with comments.
      I have to admit that I miss those days. And if you do not already know, I am NOT a creature of change.
      If something is working, dear God, leave it be.
      And you notice there are no HP editors who are logged into this discussion?Kristy is one of the editors who was, a few weeks ago, on her game by answering questions right and left.
      At any rate, I love my followers so much that I would travel by donkey to the secret temples on the mountain tops of Tibet to speak to the enlightened elders and see if they would give me THE reason why my traffic goes up and down.
      Peace.
      K.

1. Suzanne Day profile image92
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kenneth, it seems as though this time of the year is a quiet one. I noticed at Christmas and January that there were hundreds more hubbers on here commenting. As that died down, many of them logged out and haven't been back yet, I think it's just the time of year.

Plus the CPMs are a little variable (better than last month though). Must just be a slow time of the year. I noticed that when I had some dump days that if I just wrote a bit more, it seemed to pick up a few days later.

The other thing to take into account is that Google has done some sort of algorithm change recently and this has shaken up the ranking of hubs.

Probably heaps of people on the net are experiencing weird traffic at the moment, so just ride it out, write more and understand that the algo changes happen at least 10 times a year, so traffic will shake up and down a bit.

Having said that, I find Hubpages earnings to be fairly steady at the end of each month, and the more hubs, the more this should be the case.

Without looking at traffic, try and assess if your earnings are steady each month. If they are, you have nothing to worry about.

Suzanne, you are right. I never stopped to think of this traffic thing in those terms.
          Thank you for your input  and by the way, if you are following me, thank you, and if not, I cordially invite you to become one.
          I am going right now to check and see if I have followed you or not.
          You can tell that it has been a while since I was on here that much. My health problems are not going to be better according to my doctors. But a Higher Power is taking care of me as I continue my run through this maze of life and encounter an adventure in Hubs.
          Peace.
          K.

Thanks Kenneth, followed you awhile ago. PS - If you want lots of comments, just comment back for everyone who comments on your hubs. Or comment on other's hubs and see who does it back. You'll soon get to see the ones who return comments and can go straight to them when you publish new hubs.

Suzanne,
              You are so right. And what I also like to do is go to each new follower whose notice is left on my email about so and so is following you, and write them a personal Thank YOU note. I cherish my followers that much.
              And I love to hub-jump when I feel like it.
              Three years ago, someone at HP emailed me and said to spend an entire day just visiting various hubbers and their works and leave a comment and read their works.
              I remember doing that and I came away with such a widening of my scope. Then this stupid Fibromyalgia and Neurothopy started showing out and I felt like death warmed over.
              Then I had to have four eye surgeries for retina detachment. It was a time when it was one medical alert after the other.
              Thank God I am thinking I am on a comeback tour or somethingl LOL. But thank you, dear Suzanne, for the following and friendship.
              Peace.
              K.

Well Kenneth, it sounds like you've been through a lot, as have many of us on here, and many of us want to enjoy our writing selves before we're done. Make the most of it and looking forward to a beautiful hubbing friendship wink

Suzanne,
                  I agree with you. I have many more areas of things inside and outside of my boundaries to explore, and tell people where I am in all of the confusion.
                  I will follow your good advice. I sense that you are one intelligent person and I love to hang with people with high IQs.
                  Yes, I too agree to having a beautiful hubbing friendship with you as well.
                  Praying the sun shine on you this day.
                  Peace.
                  K.

4. psychicdog.net profile image77
    psychicdog.netposted 10 years ago

I was always on hubpages to get known and get to know others and a little vanity. However, the internet is one big matchmaker as someone once said. I don't think we're supposed to get too obsessed with it to the detriment of what really matters - real connections as opposed to looking at it as a mirror of ourselves.

Yes, and I try not to take anything personally.  Thanks.

5. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 10 years ago

Yep, I took a nosedive too!

Join the club my friend smile

Sure hope we see some positive changes soon.

Hi, vocalcoach,
        now that I think of it, YOU were also among my first followers. Thank you so much for doing that, and continuing to do that. I am going to take a break now for in the past three days and nights, I think I have published at least six new hubs.
        I am not boasting. Just so proud that I can still hub with the best of them: YOU.
        Take care.
        Love you.
        K.

6. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

Over the last few days I have dropped at least 600 readers a day! For a few weeks it really went up and it was brilliant, then, boom, straight down the plug hole! I have no idea whats going on, but its driving me nuts!

Nell Rose,
      You were among my first followers. I beg you to PLEEEAAASSSEEE STAY!

1. Nell Rose profile image91
        Nell Roseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Kenneth never saw your comment! lol! I aint goin' nowhere! LOL! and thanks!

Yeah Nell - It's driving me crazy too.  Well, nothing stays the same. Hoping for a change for the better soon.

7. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 10 years ago

It is that time of year.  People are wanting to get outside and shake off the winter stink. smile   It will jump back up.  It always does.

8. literal profile image72
    literalposted 10 years ago

My traffic has increased heaps; the red triangles make my stats page look like a Christmas tree big_smile

Wow!  Good for you and I'm happy for you. (But now I feel worse for me smile

1. LCDWriter profile image90
        LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think traffic increasing "heaps" might be relative when you only have 17 hubs so don't feel too bad.  Most of us are experiencing what you are.

9. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

It´s the same with me. It´s up and down.

10. crazyhorsesghost profile image69
    crazyhorsesghostposted 10 years ago

Instead of depending on Google for all your traffic you should try to come up with traffic of your own. There is most likely a forum or many forums on the same topic you are doing Hubs on. Look for forums where you can post a signature when you make a post. If you make on topic posts at those forums people will click the link in your signature. That is one way you can get traffic. But there are many more ways. Don't just depend on Google.

11. profile image0
    enjoy lifeposted 10 years ago

I have noticed a larger drop in traffic, that has not just been for a few days, but weeks. I realise traffic fluctuates so don't panic when there are low days. However a consistent drop causes concern.

I'm not sure if it's related to google and how they are indexing the hubs, or Hubpages itself. I have always had confidence in Hubpages as a good platform to write on. I really hope it stays that way.

It would be nice if we could pin down some reasons why traffic is dropping for so many people.

I would think Hubpages itself would be concerned about traffic drops across the board, and to fix things if there are reasons why

It really would be a great help to know the reason for a drop in traffic.  And even better would be to get an 'alert' from Hub Pages when this happens.

1. muthar anna profile image64
        muthar annaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wrote 15 hubs in 6months.They all had very low traffic .I do not know how to increase the traffic.

Well, it looks like this is happening to many of us.  It would be helpful to get a straight answer from HP.

1. Good Guy profile image84

vocalcoach, Yes I agree with your idea.  My traffic still not improving, but "stabalizes" at the much lower level.

2. muthar anna profile image64
            muthar annaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you .I am comparatively new and encouragement from you is very comforting.

I'm glad you joined Hub Pages and have come to this forum.  I also notice that my traffic is picking up.  Thanks.

12. Pearldiver profile image65
    Pearldiverposted 10 years ago

Could someone there please tell those men with the lollipop signs to reopen the road and stop redirecting traffic next door?

Nice one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)