Obama wins Presidency

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

John McCain just conceded.....Obama is the man. Woohoo!!!!!!!

(And I'm not even American.) wink

How's it south of the border right now?? Are you happy??

big_smile

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
      Jerrico Usherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Watch the acceptance speech by Obama (I was quite impressed by this speech, it almost rivals Kennedy’s

http://www.hulu.com/watch/42672/msnbc-d … nce-speech

Jerrico

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Do YOU think it really makes much difference?

3. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

Depends on whether he turns out to be the man he says he is or not. If Obama proves to be the man he says he is then, yes, I think it does make a difference.

If he turns out to be another lying, cowardly politician not willing to stand up for the important issues then, no, it won't make a difference.

I like what he 'appears' to stand for. Let's see if reality merges with the ideal. At least it's a big change from the past 8 years and that is certainly much needed. wink

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Change is definitely needed, but I'm afraid Obama is not that change smile

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Really, why's that? I'm curious.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because changing the president, even assuming the new president is perfect, does not do any good if the people stay the same. smile

1. agvulpes profile image85
          agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha which people staying the same do you mean?

1. Misha profile image64

American people Ag - look at the neighbor thread about "proposition 8" for example smile

2. profile image0

Good point. However, a great leader 'leads' the people. That's why it's so important to find that rare great leader. A great leader can alter people's perceptions on many things if they truly connect with the humanity that does exist in all of us. wink

1. Misha profile image64

I'm afraid a good leader may be not enough in this case - again, even assuming he is a good leader, and he will actually give it a try smile

1. profile image0

Ahhh....but the mere fact that he was elected shows 'the people' have changed. Baby steps, baby steps.....lol
              big_smile

5. Christoph Reilly profile image69
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

People think a new president can take office and make all the things they promised actually happen. They may really want to, but they can't. The government is an intricate web that we barely have a concept of. Everything is connected to everything else. Some changes can be made, and more likely, some changes can be initiated (which will take many years of continued, dogged support), but there is only so much that can be done in just a few years. It's great to have hope (you have to start somewhere) but I don't think we should have unrealistic expectations. But I am happy, yes. The republicans have made a colossal mess out of everything. They had to go.

1. profile image0

Yes, that is very true. Obama is inheriting quite the mess. Where to start will be the hardest part.
      I just hope he does initiate the change that is desperately needed.

If I was American I certainly would have voted for him. big_smile

1. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Speaking as a complete outsider (Australia) I watched Obama's acceptance speech and his body language gave me the impression that he is fully aware of the job he has on his hands.
        I hope that he does deliver on his promises for the whole worlds sake! Just give the guy a fair go!

6. justmesuzanne profile image87
    justmesuzanneposted 15 years ago

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!  I couldn't be happier! big_smile

7. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

I voted for him, for a lot of reasons.  I'll tell you right now, I'm scared in a way.  There are still a lot of what ifs, and Obama is inheriting quite the mountain of steaming poop.  We can only wait, and watch, and see if he makes good - or if he just makes hot air balloons popular again..

8. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

I like Obama - Hope he Rocks US. Coming days will be the days of "Change"

9. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

giddy happy tears!  woooo hoooo!   I volunteered and it mattered and this victory was historic. I am soooo freakin happy!

Posted August 10th!  My endorsement for Obama using Stevie Wonder songs! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P-eYwRUI1k

10. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

I just got up for work and heard the news, good luck America, with your new President, A great historic day for your country.......jimmy

P.S seeing all of the celebrations all over the USA on TV, I would advise hubbers looking who hub for money to start writng pregnancy hubs lol they could rake in the cash over the next 9 months.....Ahem

11. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

Congrats US on new beginnings. If nothing else Obama's win was a giant historical step ahead. I hope that this will get everyones lives back on track again soon. You know that old saying that a new brooms always sweeps best but unfortunately political promises are usually just like a lot of soap bubbles.

I for one am glad that soon CNN will have to start reporting real news again not just rehashing the rehashed rehashings of yesterday, the day before, last week..............

Kindest regards to you all Zsuzsy

12. Bob Ewing profile image66
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

I was part of a live blogging event last night covering the election, regardless of what one thinks, history was made and I prefer this result than the alternative. Time will tell.

13. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Well, I certainly hope it makes a difference, but I am with Misha. Having watched numerous elections, most of which promised "change," and yet to see any change, I doubt this will make much difference. The issues he faces are basically self-sustaining and would require genuine change.

Although, I do thank the Good Lord for making sure McCain/Palin didn't get in lol

14. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I was sobbing my eyes out last night in joy and relief, but on a practical front, I do agree that the genuine change we need is going to be much, much easier said than done. The system we have now is so deeply entrenched it's going to take a generation, at least.

On the positive side, I was much more skeptical of Obama's ability to start that process during the primaries than I am today. Over the last few months, his temperament and his statements have reassured me that if there is anyone in this country who genuinely understands the magnitude of what needs to be done, it's him. The question now is if he will be able to successfully implement his ideas. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but am pretty wary. I've been disappointed before, and some of the many forces he'll have to work against are getting record profits this year, again.

15. Amanda Severn profile image95
    Amanda Severnposted 15 years ago

Here in the UK the news is full of the American elections, and everyone I meet has something to say about it. The atmosphere is one of excitement and hope even here, so what it must be like in the US I can only begin to guess. This is the result that I personally hoped for, now I wish Obama the very best, because he has one heck of a mountain to climb to reverse the mess that he is inheriting.

16. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

And here is a good reading for those who got so excited with Obama and forgot where American economy really is big_smile http://www.elliottwave.com/freeupdates/ … rt-II.aspx

17. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Does Obama's Victory mean that MaCan now has enough time to put Lipstick on Palin tongue .

18. sheenarobins profile image59
    sheenarobinsposted 15 years ago

Hello!

I am a filipina but I am celebrating with America for Barack Obama. He is just an exciting candidate. He has an appeal to people and I like him from the first moment I saw him on tv. The Philippines has been watching closely with his candidacy. We support him. I hope we have a leader in our country like him. Someone who believes in change. A very hopeful man.

Cheers!!! I cannot say more but I like the guy.

19. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

The most crucial “change” was breaking the historical barriers

20. Melissa G profile image60
    Melissa Gposted 15 years ago

I, for one, am very excited and optimistic about the outcome of the election. I'm not surprised at some of the pessimistic views here--this is a country that's still licking its wounds from the Supreme Court's decision to elect Bush in 2000 when Gore won the election, 9/11, two wars, Bush winning a second term in 2004, and the recent economic collapse. However, Barack Obama has already proven himself to be a person of integrity, authenticity, and visionary leadership. This is a very exciting time to be alive--make no mistake about it! Yes, we've had our share of disappointments over the past 8 years, and there is much work to be done, so let's focus on how we hope things will be and trust that with enough collective will and conscientious action, we can heal this nation, improve our global standing, and bring about positive social change throughout the world.

Yes, we did, and yes we can! smile

21. Marian Swift profile image59
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

No one person, no matter who they are or what office they hold, can turn this country around by his/her lonesome.  It is much easier to destroy, and that's what we've seen over the past 8 years.

Quick fixes do not exist.  What (I hope) we have now, is a chance.

22. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I believe Obama will bring about stability with the economy and his reassurance throughout the debate and his heartwarming speech last night again made me realize that I voted for the right candidate. We should finally feel United as we are "One Nation " and while some see color , the only color I see is clear.smile

23. Roger Rager profile image59
    Roger Ragerposted 15 years ago

There is no doubt that Obama totally broke McCain's face!

24. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I'm glad that Obama won, and wish him all the best for when he takes over.

It will be interesting to see how he deals with the congress and public service, as they are the ones who have the real power to drive and implement the unpopular changes that will be necessary to turn around America's fortunes.

Here's a lot of great Obama pics from his election campaign.
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/1 … _unit.html

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)