Copying Site... Beware

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 208 discussions (656 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

The link on 'Steps to take if your hub has been copied' doesn't work.  Also, several others didn't work, but if you go to their home page index of hubs and click on topics, most still open.  I'm still seeing articles that look familiar there. 

FYI - one of their news releases has this email:  info@big (you know where).  I sent a message & so far it hasn't bounced back.  The contact link on their site no longer works.

1. WebsiteConfetti profile image60
      WebsiteConfettiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It works if I remove the dot before the domain. It seems that all links have been removed though, looks like its done automatically though, becuase my copyright is still there!

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Here's what I wrote to them. Not sure they'll get it (in more ways than one), but it was marginally therapeutic to write.  Excuse the cheerleader style of punctuation:

Dear BigEzine,

How excited I am to see that you have several talented psychic writers on your site!  All of them can read the minds of writers on other sites and duplicate what they are writing, word for word!  

This is amazing, and certainly worthy of research and publicity!  I'm so impressed that EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE on your site is exactly the same as those written by hundreds of well-known writers!  How on earth did you find these amazing people?  And ALL your writers look exactly alike in their photos!

Dozens of my friends and I have found our twins, it appears, writing for you!  How can we meet these people?

We know you're busy, so we have put in a request for Google and various authorities to help us get closely acquainted with you.  I'm sure you understand our eagerness to meet you and your ASTOUNDING writers in person!

Sincerely,

Marcy Goodfleisch, MA

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marcy!  LOL that is great, thanks for sharing.  big_smile  We need more like you getting involved.  Me, today I just sent off DMCA reports for the 7 hubs of mine that I could find so far that have been copied.

When I tried to leave a comment there that it was duplicate content, word for word including my photos, in their totality, it would have to be "reviewed" before published! lol....they cover all their bases don't they?

2. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was funny!

3. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm so looking forward to meet my psychic  twin, Marcy. big_smile

4. homesteadbound profile image82
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I have psychic triplets! and the other two are not nearly as nice as me, in fact, they are pretty darn lazy!

3. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Well, I filed 3 DMCA reports regarding 3 of my very personal hubs, all of them with family photos and one of them was even a hub of the day last month.  That is even more upsetting when the hubs are so personal and close to my heart.  If we are all doing this...HOPEFULLY this dastardly site will be taken down soon.  Let's hope!  At least I have the file a DMCA report downpat!

4. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 12 years ago

I found at least a couple of mine. But the thing which is kind of odd is I did a 10 part series on the 100 Best Cover Songs, and I found part 10 & 8 (couldn't find 9, and I stopped looking after 8). But both parts where credited to different authors. So there was no logical sequence to the theft. I also noticed a number of articles that I recognized from HubPages. It almost appears that the vast majority of their content is from webpages. I almost wonder if they use dummy names for the writers and if they use some kind of software program to rip off the content from the site.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Yes, they are most definitely dummy names.  They have some sort of program that scrapes the content, assigns a series of names as writers (without paying attention to who wrote the hubs), and posts the stolen text on their site. They're also probably reading this right now and laughing at us.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

They are listed under protected domain services in Denver Co.  The phone is not in service.  I masked the URL to avoid giving a backlink.

Anybody up for contacting Protected Domain Servicrs?

Domain Name:     bigezine.XXX
    Registrar:       Name.com LLC

Protected Domain Services Customer ID: NCR-3640545

Expiration Date: 2012-11-08 13:31:23
    Creation Date:   2011-11-08 13:31:23

Name Servers:
            ns1.ppanda.net
            ns2.ppanda.net

Domain privacy provided by Protected Domain Services. For more information see 
    www.protecteddomainservices.com

REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
    Protected Domain Services - Customer ID: NCR-3640545
    P.O. Box 6197
    Denver
    CO
    US
    Phone:         +1.7202492374 
    Email Address: 

ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT INFO
    Protected Domain Services - Customer ID: NCR-3640545
    P.O. Box 6197
    Denver
    CO
    US
    Phone:         +1.7202492374 
    Email Address: 

7. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I contacted HubPages and reported the theft of my hub.

This is the reply I recieved from Hubpages. I have followed the instructions they gave me.

Thank you for your email. The legalities of copyright safe harbor for websites such as HubPages prevent us from filing DMCA complaints against websites such as Bigezine.

What we can do is provide you with information to expedite your DMCA request. Here is our LC entry for a DMCA complaint, in case you need the link: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

We have found the following email addresses that are associated with Bigezine, where you may want to send your DMCA complaint:
    abuse@softlayer.com and solanki8484@yahoo.com

I wonder how many have sent a DMCA complaint to both Google and to that email that HubPages gave you there, Sherry.  Thanks for sharing this response from HubPages to you.

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

Has anyone received anything from softlayer in regards to the DMCA you filed? I sent an email to them 2 days ago and have not received a response. I'm wondering if I should send them again.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have checked my e-mail everyday and still there is not a response. Quite a few of us have not had any responses. My next step tomorrow is calling Texas directly. Maybe if we bombarded them with calls they would finally take action.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

I received a reply asking that I submit an official DMCA through their copyright@SoftLayer address.  I posted their entire reply somewhere earlier on this thread - please check it for the accurate address.  I haven't yet filed it, but I will.  All the complaint filing is becoming redundant, and tiring.  But, if there's one prayer of getting the site removed, SoftLayer might be the key. 

It appears BigE has made slight changes to some hub titles, probably to make them less searchable. So this will slow our ability to file the links needed to submit the official complaints.  Since there are literally hundreds of copied works, if thus has to be done one by one, no telling when it will end. 

I'm not sure why the abuse@SoftLayer address doesn't serve to accomplish this - especially since many of us submitted information.  But I'm sure they have to document they did everything the right way, so the #^%*+# jerk who owns the site can't come after them for shutting down 'his' business.

10. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

Strange, it still comes up for me. Maybe they're in the process of taking their site down?

1. rmr profile image69
      rmrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Looks more like they're in the process of changing the site to make it more difficult to find the stolen content. It's already been mentioned here and in other threads.

11. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

They are displaying ads now for Christ's sake. If something isn't done soon they will win!

1. homesteadbound profile image82

Cardisa - Check out this site : http://  www. articledoctor.com/

It sure looks similar

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cindy, it's a duplicate site but these are dated 2010. I think they were not getting the traffic the wanted and created another site. They have been doing this for a while. Those B*stards!

One of the authors over there joined January 1st, 1970, she must be really old. Isn't 1970 way before the internet?

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
          Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1982 tongue

12. Cardisa profile image87

Here is an excerpt from their article submission guidElines. lol lol

-MUST BE AN ORIGINAL ARTICLE THAT YOU WROTE. If you work for an author as an employee or contractor and are submitting the article, please submit the article as if it was from the original author including his or her email address and name.

-MUST NOT BE AN ARTICLE YOU RIPPED-OFF FROM THE PUBLIC DOMAIN OR BOUGHT (PLR). If you did hire a ghost writer to write your articles, you MUST have an EXCLUSIVE LICENSE that *only* allows your name to be associated with the articles produced for you. Do not waste your time or ours by buying article packs that have non-exclusive licenses as we reject those articles. Why do we do this? #1) It makes you look like a fraud because you're putting your name on someone else's works that already may have hundreds or thousands of other authors who already put their name on the exact same works and #2) we do not want more than one copy of any article in our directory.

13. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

I really appreciate all of the help by the experienced people with filling out DMCA's and finding the address' to send them. I was lost and have this figured out now. I have a DMCA template saved on my computer for future use thanks to the help you all gave to Homesteadbound. I used hers to make mine. Things like this are what makes HubPages so great. All of the wonderful people that seem to congregate to this writing community.

14. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 12 years ago

Another Plea to Install Copy Protection on Hubpages

I know all the methods can be by-passed. But it is so easy to copy hubs.
    I have a related site that I use to build manuals and information on various topics.
    Hubs can be copied and pasted directly into databases - everything images, links the lot.
    There are copy protection methods that will block some of the copying- they all can be bypassed BUT even partial protection would be worthwhile.
    => transparent gifs
    => blocks to copying via javascript
    => weird font insertion that renders the copy useless
    => hidden copyright notices that pop up when copied and pasted
    => authors sprinkle copyright notices and source details throughout the articles
    => embedded links back to the source article
    => copyscape
    => etc. etc.

surely something can be done!!!!

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

none of the above does much of anything.

a simple Google search for the appropriate term one would use to learn this skill will provide you with the single line of code one could use to scrape any site and an offer to download a free trainable bot that performs this action(which has legitimate purposes)

I guess I wont provide the links, it seems silly to propagate the information in any way.

Just understand that people who create entire sites based on other websites copy, use simple scripts, bots and software to collect the page source.

There is no way to protect the page source and yet still have a visible open page for the public to see.

That disable right click nonsense just annoys legitimate users. It is a javascript based action and can be disabled with two clicks in any modern browser.

If the thieves know how to build a website, they also know enough not to be stopped by such a solution.

The only way a site can stop such things is to monitor for unusual server activity - a site the size of HP with a smallish staff doesnt stand much chance of being able to identify such activity in real time. They probably do have many common footprints identified and blocked in some way( I hope) but they cant stop everything. Its just the way of it - the higher your profile and perceived value the more likely you will be a target for the lazy in this world

1. janderson99 profile image55
        janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you can't block it
        Google indexes the duplicate
        You can't get it removed, really
        So forget it
        Copyright is dead RIP!

15. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

This is helpful to know - do you know if any of these techniques will work here?  And I guess the second question would be how to implement them?

That is up to HP
      Excerptz has copy protect installed on their site
      see below  - try to copy it

http://excerptz.com/travel/ancient-seven-wonders

I have use transparent GIFs and they work
      I have seen the weird fonts work on many sites.

They can all be bypassed - but it should stop the majority who can now simply copy entire hub by swiping and paste into another site.

Work on the 'slow em' down and 'make it harder' factor - many won't bother if there are hassles

Some response from HP would be good as to why they can't do this.

16. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 12 years ago

Alright, now they've done it and I am jumping on the DCMA bandwagon immediately. The thieves are getting pretty cagey but we will prevail. They have stolen my Hospital of Your Dreams article and 19 of my personal pictures including those of my husband in the hospital and my dogs. I am furious!!

sad sad sad sad sad

I wrote comments and gave them my junk email address and it presented a message that my comment would be reviewed by their "staffs". Then on their "contact us" address it said they are no longer accepting mail.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget to report it through Webmaster Tools as well. And Bing.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
        PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, Google Webmaster is really squirrelly right now and I have crashed three times while trying to file a DCMA through that site. I hate to keep going back to the site who is copying to get my url as when I crash it closed all my tabs and I hadn't saved the url to my Thief "expert author" without a face. I will try again in the morning.

It seems with all of us reporting this stuff individually that Google will be tied up in bureaucracy for years trying to respond. What we need to do is file a class action lawsuit and get some representation for us all. After all, there are a lot of hubs out here and most are being copied. That's a lot of paperwork.

Peg

Peg, I doubt any of us wants to start investing money in a class action.

If we mounted a class action every time this happened, we'd never stop!

If Google finds itself inundated with complaints for this site through Webmaster tools, it will just de-index the whole site to get rid of the problem.  That's what we're trying to achieve.

Same with Softlayer.

So keep truckin', it will be worth it in the end.

Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Marisa!

2. Anamika S profile image69
            Anamika Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! These thief's want us o get fed up trying and give up... But don't!

2. Cardisa profile image87

@ PegCole17, what I do is save all my stolen links in a word file on my computer so I don't have to keep going back to the site each time I file.

Try filing through this link. It's the direct form with no questionnaire. The questionnaire section was having problems the other day.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … tice?hl=en

17. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 12 years ago

Looks like they got only one of mine! Book Review: Joshua, Son of None. Their version said the article was by Joan Varner but it was my Hub alright. I believe there are other Hubs about this BigEzine site which is a robot site.

18. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 12 years ago

I sent a comment to these thieves the first day I found about this website copying our hubs on the page with my copied hub and I have had odd things happening to my yahoo e-mail account since Friday. My first thought goes to them, possibly using my e-mail, but there are many other possibilities. Just wondering if anybody else got odd e-mails saying something like "this is pretty awesome you should look into this" with a link.

almost everyone gets those emails everyday, but they get filtered to spam.

Yahoo mail is just awful - I can honestly say that 9 out of 10 infected accounts that send me bs pharma and dating ads are abandoned yahoo accounts of friends who have moved on to better mail solutions.

Someone targeted Hubpages.com for content, one of the top 100 sites in the US - that doesn't mean they want to hack your personal email, lol

1. alexadry profile image96
        alexadryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is different from spam; it is sending automatically e-mails as if from me to all my contacts, I think my account has been hacked! This never happened to me before.

nope, pretty common, what do you think the point of those emails "you" are sending are?

some common ones are:

1. Something bad has happened please send me money (from you sad )
          2. Click this link ( pharma spam - other spam)
          3. Click this link (Phishing page - for email,bank,ebay,pp etc)

Your account HAS been hacked.
          http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/yahoo-email-hacked

(only the first few sentences matter)

19. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

I have a friend that I will not send email to because I always get garbage from her when I do. This is a program that you have picked up from somewhere that you have been browsing. It is a fairly common thing.

20. GoGreenTips profile image60
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

Here is the offenders information. Send an email properly formatted to him. There are many articles and formats to use. Also send a complaint to Google. Shut this guy down!
    The site is hosted by: Softlayer Technologies Inc. There email is abuse@softlayer.com and phone number:+1-214-442-0605.

Call and complain to these people. I have. I have had one hub stolen as far as I know. If enough people caomplain to the hosting company perhaps they will be forced to take this site down.

REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
    J Raaaj
    Rahul Solanki
    WZ-34 Kakrola Road, Najafgarh
    New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Delhi
    IN
    Phone: +1.9810000007
    Email Address: solanki8484@yahoo.com

21. profile image0
    Jayfortposted 12 years ago

Tried to access BigEzine this morning to verify the name on my stolen Hub and could not access that page or other BigEzine pages to come up. Are we winning this batte?

That is a little different for me this morning also.  Lets hope that we are winning the battle!  I don't think they expected such a big and tenacious response as they have gotten from the writers here on HubPages!  A force to be reckoned with from what I see!

2. cloverleaffarm profile image69
      cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That has been going on for days.  I posted a pic up a few posts. I thought it was done for too, but I can still get to some articles.

That happened to me too from the front page a couple days ago, and I had false hopes, but today I can't even access the site.  It could be just me.

3. No_Clue profile image63
      No_Clueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I cannot access the site or any of its articles....maybe just maybe....

22. Judi Bee profile image91
    Judi Beeposted 12 years ago

I can't access the site either today.  I heard back from Google on Saturday in response to my complaint via Webmaster tools, and was disappointed that I could still see my stolen hubs yesterday, but looks like they (and the whole site) are gone today (fingers crossed!)

23. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

Even I tried... but can't access the site anymore. I am getting 'problem loading page'. Does that mean that we won the battle or is it a temporary problem?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't get problem loading page; it's just a blank page never seen such a page before wink

I guess they're taken down

24. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years ago

The site may be dead. A search on Google for the site bigezine.com shows some links that lead to nowhere and a notification:

"In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org."

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great news. I tried to access my copied page and I got an error message saying that the server took too long to respond.

1. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here Gordon, hope thats it.

25. Judi Bee profile image91
    Judi Beeposted 12 years ago

The notification has been there for a few days now, even though the site was still accessible.  Hopefully matters have now moved on as it seems that the site isn't loading.

26. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

I've just tried to get on their site, and Google just gave me an error message. I think we won! Good riddance to them, I say smile

27. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

I can't get it to load, either - but could be anything.  I wonder if the site is banning any IPOs that have shown up in emails.  I also wonder if that's possible, but I guess that would be another thread

None of my hubs were copied so I couldn't file a complaint so even if that was possible then I'd be able to view it - but I can't smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image80
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I see displayed when I enter the URL of any page I knew that lived on that site is a list of shopping sites with a privacy notice at the bottom. The point is that the url exists, but now it displays a list of shopping sites instead of the home page of the site or an individual article or category on the site. I don't know what that means, and I wonder if anyone can shed some light?

I get a blank page not a shopping site smile

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It means the site is either expired and awaiting renewal or down for good.

1. Sally's Trove profile image80
          Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Patty. Let's hope it's the latter.

28. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Well Done... a 7 Day Take Down! smile

It's getting slower though.. used to take Sunforged and I just 24 - 48 hours before... Good Stuff, but keep filing your complaints and maybe attack their dud review site as well.. it has ads and other useful info about them on it smile

Good Work everyone! smile

PD, I think the holiday weekend slowed everything down. I usually get results within a couple of days.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sure... but Absolutely Nobody is as quick as Josh on the Telephone big_smile

29. Cardisa profile image87

None of my browsers are loading it so we might finally have gotten what we set out to do. yeah HUBBERS, we did it! I am sure that must be the case.

1. Just Ask Susan profile image88
      Just Ask Susanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could not get to the site either! Yea is right!!! smile   smile

30. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I checked it too and the site looks like it's been taken down.  Hopefully permanently.  Nice work everyone!  Persistence does pay off.

31. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

WOO HOO! DIGITAL REVENGE IS SWEET!!!

32. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I also cannot find the site anymore.  I tried the categories links, they are now showing nothing except sponsored listings.  As Cardelean said, I hope it's permanent. 

Three cheers for everyone who helped in bringing this site down.  Hip Hip Hooray!

33. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 12 years ago

Site link gives me a clear page with nothing, I think this is good news! yippee! The good news is that if you google bigezine, the results all bring to how they are stealing content! The only link talking good about them says "With the endeavor is to become the best article directory on the web by providing the highest level of service to its authors, the best quality articles to its content publishers and the most pleasant reading experience to its readers, BigEzine. is surely on the right path to become a leading website of the world." Take that bigezine!

34. Kalmiya profile image66
    Kalmiyaposted 12 years ago

I also tried the link they had in linkvale . com and that link is now kaput.  Yeah!!

35. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

It took long enough! But victory is sweet! We win!

And the best part they never copied my hubs wink

I wish I could say the same thing. Every time I go on the site I would find another hub of mine. I was ready to file some more DMCA reports.

I published 2 hubs the other day as this month I'm actually just supposed to be modifying and redoing my older hubs to make them better. But, I thought they'd be copied and I was ready to file a complaint but luckily I didn't have to smile

1. amberld profile image80
            amberldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yay! so happy to see the site not working anymore. I saw the DMCA report notice. yay for us!

36. Cardisa profile image87

Google is a riot. They secretly took the site down them sends me this email

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We have received your attached DMCA complaint. Upon recent review of the
    website(s) mentioned in your complaint, we were unable to locate the
    allegedly infringing content on the following page(s):

http://  lifestyle.bigezine.com/how-to-make-jamaican-jerk-seasoning-and-sauces-53272.html

http://  lifestyle.bigezine.com/how-to-make-otaheite-apple-pie-75455.html
    http:/  /lifestyle.bigezine.com/how-to-write-a-killer-recipe-hub-38449.html

If this matter is still a concern, please reply to this email with
    detailed information to enable us to locate the allegedly infringing
    content.

Regards,

37. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

I was just going to check to see if my latest hub had been stolen to file another DMCA report, and every category that I click on is blank.  It looks like all of our complaints finally worked.  Hip-hip-hooray!!!  Good work, fellow hubbers!!!  smile

38. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

They moved the domain to SedoParking.

They may or may not earn from impressions.

SF - dumb question, probably, but what is SedoParking? 

Cardisa - I got the same message from Google!  Except it had my hubs, of course!

It had mine too Marcy, I just didn't want to post all of the email...lol

2. DeborahNeyens profile image94
        DeborahNeyensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me, too.  Never heard back from Softlayer at all.

I think I mentioned that Softlayer were a complete waste of time.. way back at the beginning.

2. homesteadbound profile image82

sunforged - is there anything that we need to do at this point. I looked at SedoParking, and I did not see anything but a domain site.

39. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

@Sunforged - I looked up Sedo as well, and it appears the site still exists.  It also appears it can be sold or generate revenue there.  I'm not seeing anywhere to report abuse or infringement.  I'm with Cindy - any suggestions on what we do now?

40. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

What they've done is park the site while they consider what to do next.

They own the domain, I don't think there's anything we can do to prevent them keeping it.  They'll probably wait till the dust settles then set up camp somewhere else and do it all again - they have in the past. We just have to stay  vigilant.

Thanks Marisa Wright! Certainly do appreciate your insight. We will have to remain forever vigilant to them and others like them!

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Thanks Marisa -  I was also concerned that they may still have our content loaded.

41. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

it means - now that it is confirmed down - you may be inadvertently adding to their bottom line by continuing to visit.

hence - "they may earn from impressions"

42. WebsiteConfetti profile image60
    WebsiteConfettiposted 12 years ago

Good point sunforged. I wont be visiting that site anymore. Besides earning them impressions, if they do decide to sell the domain, they could have analytic screenshots that show how much traffic their domain/site is getting. Even if it is negative traffic!

On a side note, how come HubPages  never picked up duplicate content for the copied hubs? I mean on our accounts page?

The duplicate content filter is not running all the time. HubPages has explained it's very expensive to do (I think they have to pay someone else to do it), so it's only run very occasionally.

This probably all just happened in between scheduled checks.

1. WebsiteConfetti profile image60
        WebsiteConfettiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh okay that makes sense. I guess ill just do my own regular checks via copyscape every so often like I do with my blog.

checks on older hubs by popular authors via copyscape shows scores of copies  => the only hope is to outrank the copies - boosting rank boosts traffic as well.

43. My Minds Eye53 profile image59
    My Minds Eye53posted 12 years ago

I heard that they have been shut down

Any details on that part?  As SF and Marisa  pointed out, they do still own the domain. I'm just curious whether our content is still in their system, and of course, I don't want to give them a click in order to peek!

1. Becky Katz profile image80
        Becky Katzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I clicked this morning to try and find out if they had taken mine off of there yet and it won't even open.

44. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

It is completely gone! Yay! All I see is ads on a site that used to be! And Bigezine in small print. Gone and history! Yippeee!!!

45. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Well its good to know that they don't own their servers and have been asked to find alternative accommodation... but free parking at Sedo probably won't be right for them either and I don't think Sedo really want domains associated with article theft, associated with them!

I'm sure these turkeys by their very actions breach Sedo's TOS agreement.. perhaps a few questions to Sedo about why are they providing DNS services to confirmed Thieves - from some of those who had their work stolen, may very likely motivate Sedo to ask them to F/Off from there also! big_smile

Pointless exercise being Nice after all their contempt.. I believe smile

46. Cardisa profile image87

Guys, the thief has signed up with HP and is trying to deny his doings. He says he was framed.

He has been making comments on Lord de Cross' latest hub about the issue. His username is Tanuj91. Is there anything we can do to have him removed from HP?

NOW.... HP have all the personal and IP details they need to do some serious damage to these guys!  Perhaps given the fact that this self confessed thief even has the arrogance to join this site... HP may consider posting that info to the Duty Manager of Lynch Mob Services! big_smile

47. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I must be missing something.

The guy whose username is referenced here says he has been framed and has no association with the bigezine mob.

As what he is saying could well be true, why should he be removed from HP?

It is also worth noting that he has perfect English and it doubtful if whoever put that site up has, else why bother stealing work when they could write their own.

As I said.. now HP could verify IP and personal details... BUT.. I think the Smart Money sees right through this guy's claim.. I'm afraid.. he's been busted.. and is bleating at the victims of the scam, claiming to be victimized by us roll  That's a guilty defense!!! big_smile

Perhaps this entity can now publish a hub here and provide bone fide evidence to support it's claim, including some proof that it has personally petitioned a site take down, based on its own evidence that it had been allegedly hijacked! 

Factually, I believe he has been caught screwing the works of others and has had over a week to join the site and tell his BS story! 99% of innocent parties would have attempted to mitigate the loss a week ago... not only in direct response to the fact that HIS Site got taken down!  What a Joke! sad

What an Insult to one's intelligence! sad 
      Own Up and Put your cards face up on the table mate!
      And HP... check the the traffic records in regards to this Scammer!

48. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Just to add, if I had both the knowledge and the brass neck to set up a plagiarizing directory, I'd use someone else's details too.

Not hard to find someone else to take the flak out there on the net.

49. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Many of us complained only about the site, and forwarded complaints through the right channels.    I agree with Izzy that we should not jump to conclusions about specific individuals.  The only thing we know for sure is that The Site published our work without permission.  If the real developer of the site is dishonest enough to do that, and clever enough to do that, why couldn't he or she also be malicious enough to implicate someone who had nothing to do with it.  The site is gone (we hope). Please be careful about using names in statements when we really don't have all the facts.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A good approach, Marcy. We are supposed to consider the "suspect" as innocent until proven guilty, give them a fair trial and then hang them.

big_smile

50. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

The site is back up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    I got two of my DMCA reports back stating that they could not find the infringing site, but it is back up with my work still there. Now what?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image87
      ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At the same website address?

yes, but it could be a false alarm. I am trying to work out the details of why I can see it but no one else can.
        My husband can call it up as well.

Okay - I have been assured that although I can still see it and I can still call up my hubs, that the information is cached and the site is down. Sorry for the turmoil that I may have caused.

It may be something to do with the settings on your browser, which are set so it doesn't check for new updates when you look at a site you've visited recently.

2. Jason Marovich profile image88
            Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason Menayan said earlier to file whatever it was needed filing and let it go.  I waited to publish 'til yesterday because of the problems, but if something of mine was copied, I'd have taken Jason Menayan's advice, simply because I assume he knows oodles more about this stuff than anybody else that posts on HubPages. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)