Calling all English hubbers - iwhat spelling do you use?

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (81 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Calling all English hubbers, do you write in English English or US English? I find myself more and more writing for the market - so especially on Amazon hubs changing the spelling of colour to color etc. Anyone else?
    Word hates when I do that, I get red errors all over the place! lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

US English - no question. Trust me - barbecue and barbeque are two entirely different search engine volumes. sad

You could always change your Word preferences.

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which was in UK english? i tend to use both since bbq is so often used - barbeque naturally pops out sometimes

But I live near a famous BBq joint so I see Barbecue a lot - I never even noticed that before.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Barbeque is English. Barbecue is American, but they shorten it to BBQ, not BBC. lol

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write in English English, but am starting to wonder if that's wise from an earnings point of view.  Although in my jewellery hubs, I do *try* and get round it by using lots of key words that have the same spelling in both versions, and by making "jewelry" part of the hub's URL.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like the Empress, I tend to write in English English, but for things like my jewellery Hubs, I use the American jewelry instead.  Trouble is I have started spelling it that way all the time now!

3. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good question Izzy and good answer from Mark.

You make a good point about writing for the market. I write in scottish english, so nae awn his got a scooby wit am writin aboot.  tongue

1. RNMSN profile image61
        RNMSNposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thisawn got it me love!

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im from the U.S. and tend to write in Englsih English, I have no idea why, I always have, I failed a bunch of spelling tests, teachers got real mad at me, and my spell checker hates me!!!

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

change your spell checker settings!  smile  (then it will love you smile )

5. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write in the Queen's English of course. Why would I wish to adopt the inferior US English with all its spelling mistakes? One must raise the standard, not lower them. Tuh.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because most of the readers are from the US.

2. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I write in English English - anything else feels wrong to me (not that there is anything wrong in it, it's just me!) But I can understand how you feel about your amazon hubs - writing in US English could be an advantage then, I guess. I would have to really concentrate, though, it wouldn't come easily!

3. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I write in US English, however, since having spellchecker I've noticed some words stored in my brain are spelled using English English rather than US English.  I just know jewellery is the correct spelling but the spellchecker doesn't agree with me!  big_smile

4. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I get more traffic from google UK anyway. Maybe that's why?!!

5. ethel smith profile image82
    ethel smithposted 13 years ago

I tend to stick to UK language. If it was not for old fuddy duddies like me it would disappear lol.
    Occasionally I americanize and I guess it could be more profitable. By the way I often write in my own language as the correct grammar seems to be lost on me nowaddays.

6. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I think Mark's answer is the most apt in the sense that the search engines look for American spellings. I did read somewhere that putting both spellings into tags would mean the search engines still see it...but maybe it will be easier to just write the whole Hub in US English!
    Jewelry spelt like this just looks so WRONG lol. Course it is jewellery, but if the search engines skip that word then I guess jewelry it is smile
    I'll keep Word the way it is I think, and stick to English English when writing about subjects localised to the UK, not that there are many of them.

7. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

US english. It's habit to be honest. I can switch easily, it's no big deal. Broadens the mind and all that wink

8. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

I go back and forth between the two, sometimes it is easier to get rid of the red lines by simply giving in to the American spelling but I don't understand the term US English...it's either English or it is something else - Americanish! 

We were watching an American program on TV and a commercial came on - onto the screen flashed the word HONOR (honour) and my son made the comment, "I didn't realize that the Americans' spell honour differently."  My young daughter piped up, "You are right A...., they spell it with an 'H'!"

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol out of the mouth of babes comes the greatest humor.

I find myself constantly spelling 'theater' theatre, even with the little red line, I like how it looks.

a helpful link.
      http://www.englishclub.com/writing/spel … nglish.htm

9. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

When I don't think about I naturally write in English English, but sometimes when I think of it I write in US English. Like when I did jewellery hubs at Christmas I spelt it the US way, even though it nearly killed me big_smile

10. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Use both so that you cover all eventualities when people are searching...

11. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Is there a setting on your Word for US English?

12. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

America, English.

Should be a button on it. God knows you English people talk funny.

13. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

English of course, need you ask ha aha.

14. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I turned off the bloody spell-checker a long time ago.  Good thing I can spell.smile

If you're writing here for profit, it's probably an advantage to use U.S. English.  Otherwise, I use the King's English.  They invented it after all (using Latin and a few other derivative languages of course) a couple of centuries before the U.S. started mangling and abbreviating things, and colloquial spellings started to creep in.

15. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I would assume Google is intelligent enough to know that "jewellery" and "jewelry" are the same thing. I will see it understand different grammatical forms (boldfacing learning and learned, if I typed in learn, for example).

The only wrinkle I can think of is, with geotargeted search results available nowadays, Google might assume a hub on "jewellery" is more appropriate for a non-US visitor, while "jewelry" is more appropriate for a US visitor.

No data to back that up, just a guess.

1. profile image0

If what you say is true (and I would love it to be true LOL), then the only question is whether seeing British English spellings in a hub would make a US reader less likely to click on the Adsense ads or Amazon products.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that very much. Americans tend to be much less fussy about UK vs US spelling than do Brits (because it's not "our" language). wink

16. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

If your concern is audience, why not have a spanish version of your writings ?
    Afterall color is the spanish word for colour...

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

verdad!
      But I don't write for a Spanish audience, nor am I fluent in the language, and if I was I'd be bumped off Hubpages!

No I haven't seen a thread on this before and this is all very interesting. Obviously if the whole internet went over to American English, we wuld lose our language and I wouldn't be too happy about that, but my primary reason for writing here is for money so I guess I'll need to write more often in US English.

17. tonymac04 profile image72
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

I write English English. Maybe it's some kind of rebellion against the US hegemony and a declaration of independence!

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good !
      Let's have a tea party !
      hehehe

18. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

The last 2 posts have proved my point. wink

19. mrpopo profile image72
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

I usually just write in English English. I guess it's because my teachers always fussed about keeping the language different than the US English. It annoys me to see the red lines everywhere though, so sometimes I write in US English just to appease the machine.

I would probably write in Old English if I could. Create a bit of variety.

20. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

If enough people wrote English English wouldn't the search engine settings change ?  Democracy at work...  tongue

1. IzzyM profile image88

That can only happen when there are more web writers than readers. If that happened, we'd likely all be out of a job!

21. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I usually use US spelling.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did not know you are English wink

I'm not, I'm Canadian. We use English spelling here smile And I was born in the UK

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool, that I did not know about Canada. Seriously smile

22. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I use American English in all my hubs.

23. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

I mainly use English English but will occasionally change things in tags e.t.c. for both! e.g. soccer and football! I hate saying soccer but there you go!

24. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Cagsil.
    I read once you have stated you didn't speak any other languages other than English.
    From your writings and reasonings, I'd be ready to bet a lot that you could speak and write a nice collection of other languages would you give it just a bit of your time.
    I tell you. It is really good for the brain to speak or write a foreign language at least from time to time. It's the best way to get into another culture than yours.
    And that is real wealth.

IzzyM.
    I had a look at your garden. I love it.
    That is real wealth too.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are kidding right? I have trouble with my own language and ALL the words in it, as it is.

Why would I want to learn a less complex language. There are more words in the American English language than any other language on the planet. Most of the words in American English have multiple meanings, depending on the context of a the sentence or intent.

It happens to be one of the reason I enjoy writing so much now, as I didn't a decade ago. I am only high school educated and have no formal higher education. So, everything is self taught.

I hope you can understand, the wealth I require is not in learning a new language, it is in the money I can collect/receive/obtain, so I can do the things that I want, like living life, not just surviving. hmm

1. profile image0

I was far from thinking that you could ever make me laugh.
        You're definitely a province boy.
        My laugh is not full hearted though.
        I'm sorry.
        Don't move from Massachusets.
        Maybe you'll become a stone statue some day.

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You see, there you go again. Assuming something not said. I would travel and see lots of place, providing it did not get in the way of my work. I have no doubts that I could gain more by moving and doing things outside my state.

This again, requires what? Requires money. DUH!

Which is more important, cannot do both presently? So, please enlighten me.

You are not in my position and have no clue what my life is like.

Enough said.

1. profile image0

Never meant to be rude.
            I live in Paris.
            If you ever happen to come by, just let me know.
            I'll be happy to leave you an appartment I have and make you visit around.
            Feel free to be welcome.
            Maybe you'll utter some of your grand grand father's words
            hehehe

2. IzzyM profile image88

Emmm...that was before he let his dogs loose in it! but thanks smile

25. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many UK English speakers/writers on here.  Luckily I'm reading what you have to say, because I have a hard time understanding accents.  I love the movie Snatch, but I can only understand like half of it. Cheerio.

1. profile image0

what about lock, stock, and three smoking barrels.

1. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's the original and it's good, but I like Snatch better.  Either way I can hardly understand the words except for, "Easy peasy lemon squeezy."

1. profile image0

I love them both, but I can understand it too. no idea why? but I can.

2. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

best
      movie
      ever

I watch it with the captions on wink

1. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, that's a good idea.  I'm going to try that.

26. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I try to write in american english but a lot of my british nuances get through. Unfortunately it is where the money is.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Where the money is, I'll follow lol.
      Fortunately most of my favorite (notice the spelling?) authors are American so I'm sure I can write US English now that I've understood the importance of doing so. smile

27. Jane Bovary profile image83
    Jane Bovaryposted 13 years ago

It's hard not to slip into American spelling sometimes because the defaut US spellchecker here is constantly showing me those wavy red underlines.

I always stubbornly put the "u" in colour though...if I don't I feel like I'm being colonised. [spellcheck is telling me that should be coloniZed!]

I have my spellcheck on English English so sometimes a British/Canadian spelling gets through.

28. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Hmmm... I've just done a search on _alan k jewelry_ and my hub on the subject came up in fifth place, on the first page!

Mind you I was using google.co.uk - don't know if that makes a difference; maybe someone using google.com would get a different result.  Any American readers care to try it out, in the interests of scientific research LOL?

29. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Completed my education in UK english, and now messing up with US english at workplace.

30. DYLAN CLEARFIELD profile image65
    DYLAN CLEARFIELDposted 13 years ago

I prefer British English, particularly jewellery.  Of course, most people will probably recognise this as mispelling or is it misspelling?

31. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

British / Australian English. I like to sound like myself.

32. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

I do British/Australian also.  I begrudgingly use US English, though I'm convinced it's not proper.

33. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

I always write in English English, though I think this is more than about just spellings. Most of the Brits on HubPages have a very British way of putting things, and I can often spot a fellow Brit just from their writing style.

34. Jo Woodward profile image61
    Jo Woodwardposted 13 years ago

I use English English and if spell checker tells me to change it I ignore the word and leave the spelling as is.  If I have any doubts I refer back to my OED and go with that.

35. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I use English English because it still retains the deepest meanings in the fewest words. The cultural exagerration of American English devalues good words, moron-ises them in some cases, either through replacing them with short slang phrases or devalue through cynicism.

36. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

Empress, I just searched for your hub using Alan K jewelry and it comes up number eight, so it's still on the first page.

1. profile image0

Cheers!  Makes me feel much better about sticking to English English.

37. TLMinut profile image59

I never knew the English spelling was 'jewellery'; that may explain why people mispronounce it here. How do you pronounce it?

I hear "jule-er-ree" a lot. Hmmm, I just went to a site that has audio pronunciations in English and American. They sound the same. Perhaps someone with better hearing could listen?

1. profile image0

Yes, "jule-er-ree" is how I pronounce it.  But of course spelling doesn't necessarily give an accurate idea of pronounciation.  Who would know just from reading the place name "Leicester" that it's actually pronounced "Lester" rather than "Lay-cester"?  lol

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anyone actually make sufficient money from Hubpages to even ask the question: US or the superior UK English? Shame on all you British citizens that write in US English

2. timorous profile image82
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or the name "Chalmondley" is pronounced "chumly". smile

38. TLMinut profile image59

QUOTE:
    Does anyone actually make sufficient money from Hubpages to even ask the question: US or the superior UK English? Shame on all you British citizens that write in US English
    -------------
    lol lol lol

39. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

So, from reading the posts here, US English is ONLY written in the US? Canadians and Australians use English English? Any other countries care to join in?

40. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

how about labour, should I use labor or labour, I am currently writing about child labor?

1. profile image0
      Audreveaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

British English: labour.

2. IzzyM profile image88

In English English all meanings of the the word labour are spelt the same. I suppose in US it would be labor?

41. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

thanks Izzy and audrevea, maybe I will use labour becase it is used by United Nations as well

42. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

What a great question Izzy.  I usually write English English but I'm mindful that Hubpages is a US based site and I imagine most readers are North American.  However, that assumption might be wrong!

Anyway, sometimes, I change and use US spelling and then I have a odd mix in my hubs.  However, its all rather random.

43. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

According to analytics, my readers are about 50/50 US UK and a smattering from around the globe, but Amazon is dot com, the US site so there is no point really writing in English English on those hubs aimed at a US market. But for the rest? Hmmmm! I don't want to put off UK viewers by continually using US spellings; not saying that it would put them off, but it might, especially if they read my profile and see that I am Scottish. Then it seems pretentious to write American when I'm obviously not from there.
    The Scots especially don't like when one of their own seems to get above themselves.
    For example, Sheena Easton, a Scot, started her career in the UK then left to aim for the bigger US market. She came back to Glasgow to star in an open-air concert where she was booed off the stage, and had eggs thrown at her! Not because she sang badly, she didn't, but because she'd developed a US accent (and was perceived to have turned her back on us)!
    Strange but true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)