What are you excited for during the holidays?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3046/3115473652_56416745ef.jpg

As you can see in the picture above, I tend to get pretty excited about everything that goes on around the holidays. The sweatshirt that I'm wearing in that picture is considered an 'Ugly Christmas Sweater' and this is officially my second year to wear it. Just like my puffy-paint-covered sweatshirt has become a tradition for me, I'm sure that many of you have also have a few traditions that you do each year as the holidays get closer, like putting up your Christmas tree, decorating your home or sending out cards to your friends and family.

But, none of these compare to all of the fun stuff that actually happens on Christmas and Christmas Eve, which are filled with eating, hanging out with family and taking some time to be with the people that matter the most. It's these things that I would have to say that I'm looking forward to the most this holiday season and I get to kick it all off here in a few days when I fly back to Indiana to see all of my family and friends.

My family has a huge dinner on Christmas Eve and all of the little ones run around like crazy as the presents start getting passed around. It's always so much fun to see the kids tear into their presents (or the presents that aren't theirs) and to see how excited they get. Yep, this is what I am looking forward to as the holidays are getting really, really close.

I also wanted to see what types of traditions or other things all of you fine Hubbers out there are looking forward to getting into over the holidays as well. Post your holiday plans below so that we all can see what all you'll be doing over the next couple weeks.

Also, don't forget New Years! I think that I'm going to Chicago to celebrate this year. smile

1. Veronica profile image69
      Veronicaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Woe!
      Is that Monty Python in your background?

Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You know it. smile

2. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

it should have been called the "Ugliest Christmas Sweater Ever!" LOL i have no definite plans as of yet but will get back to this thread once I've laid down everything! Just can't resist commenting on the UCSE! big_smile

3. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Yeah, I know - it's awesomely bad. smile

4. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Awww-- it matches your eyes (and your tongue).

haha...thanks for noticing, Rochelle. smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I notice stuff-- if I have time to ponder, and that was a ponder-us image.

I am looking forward to having my sons, daughters-in-love and grandchildren here... it's about the people, and food, and probably snow fun. And about the stable birth of of Hope for mankind. JOY!!!!

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Having time off to enjoy myself.  I like being able to work on my projects and do some art work too.

6. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

We are driving across the Nullabor but I have booked a cabin in Ceduna on the eastern side, we live in Perth, which we will get to on the 24th. Not sure what we are having for Xmas day : we have to surrender all fruit/veg at the border so it might be a non-veg Xmas if the shops are closed by the time we get to town LOL

Watch out for those wombats!

7. Ardie profile image79
    Ardieposted 15 years ago

I am most looking forward to seeing my sister for the first time in 8 years (and my 2 nephews) big_smile

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

I'm gonna eat, drink, be merry and play with the kids toys and steal their sweets...and that's all before Christmas day.

On Christmas eve I am going to dress up as Santa and scare them to death in the middle of the night...they'll wake up and say oh Santa you came and I'll turn round and say Santa's not home and rev the chainsaw...Bzzzzzz Bzzzz

Seriously though I'm gonna get drunk!

9. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

Sounds like a plan! Me too tongue

The only thing better than getting drunk over the holidays is getting drunk with your family over the holidays.

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My wife doesn't drink, my kids are too young to drink and most of my family I've lost touch with....So it's just me and the damn elves!!

10. Lisa Petrarca profile image60
    Lisa Petrarcaposted 15 years ago

This Christmas will be different than any we've had before. We received an early "GIFT" that became an unbelievable blessing. A white envelope was slipped into my husbands hands at our son's football game. The friend gave specific instructions not to open it until he got home. He put it into his pocket and came to sit beside me telling me what had just transpired. I curiously looked at it, "What is it?" "I don't know but we have to at least wait till we get in the car."

After the game we quickly said our goodbyes and rushed to the car. My husband tore it open, looking inside there was eight crisp one hundred dollar bills. With a note saying, "I hope this will help you". The next evening when we went to the vartsity game, we confronted our friends to tell them we couldn't accept it. They said, "We were at church and our pastor said, use your tithing this month to help anyone you feel is in need. We both walked out of the church, looked at each other and said, Anthony & Lisa at the same time."

We have been struggling financially but wanted to be sure that we used the money for whatever the Lord wanted, so we prayed and waited for an answer. A week went by still no answer. We just decided to be patient.

The following week my dad was scheduled for a biopsy, a spot had appeared on his lung. My mom sat anxiously waiting while my dad was in surgery. Within 45 minutes the doctor appeared, he quietly asked my mom to follow him. They went into a small room where he closed the door. My mom felt a panic overtake her entire body. Then he spoke the dreaded words, "Your husband has 4th stage inoperable lung cancer, his only hope will be chemotherapy with only a 5 percent survival rate with treatment."

My mom wanted to run out, but just dropped her head down in disbelief. "How can this be, he has had NO SYMPTOMS! No cough, shortness of breath, pain, NOTHING!"  The unthinkable was happening, first the loss of her son at 21 and now her husband.

We received the answer to our prayer, the money was to be used to go to Utah to spend Christmas with my dad. We have not been together at Christmas in 13 years. The "GIFT" provided the means to make this much needed trip. The gift of friendship, love, and faith has made it possible for my family to all be together to support my dad, on what may be his last Christmas.

1. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

what an inspiring Christmas story-- thank you so much for sharing it.  Lots of us hubbers will be sending thoughts and prayers to your parents-- may you all have a joyous Christmas together this year.  There are no coincidences:-)

2. Laila Rajaratnam profile image68
      Laila Rajaratnamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Lisa,we are praying for your dad  and hope he will be able to enjoy many more Christmases with you all!! Believe in Christmas miracle!

3. ripplemaker profile image78
      ripplemakerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, I am touched by your sharing.  It's a beautiful thing when we allow love to move us and reach out to others.  Both the giver and receiver are both blessed.  Loving hugs to you and your family and esp. your dad.

11. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Lisa:-- It's nice to have a personal miracle once in awhile. Best  wishes to you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

1. Lisa Petrarca profile image60
      Lisa Petrarcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rochelle! We are all praying for another Christmas miracle...complete healing.

12. poorQpine profile image60
    poorQpineposted 15 years ago

me poorQpine,
    I am looking forward to making my way down to the closest neighborhood each night for the next few weeks in search of delicious cast away foods. This is the very best time of year to go dumpster diving. Each dive is capable of rendering a delicious assortment of holiday food specialties and the cold weather is perfect for keeping all of my favorite finds in excellent condition until I can chew it all up. Season's Greetings to everyone at HubPages.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Happy food hunting!

13. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Did you guys know that someone in this thread has a secret?

*gasp*

check it out.

http://tinyurl.com/secretsomething01

1. Dottie1 profile image62
      Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

awwww, thanks for sharing that? smile

2. Ryan Hupfer profile image60

Oh no! The secret is out...although, if I posted it on a blog it's probably not that big of a secret.

Thanks for spreading the word though, Charlotte. smile

14. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Hey, if I can get you some awesome Hublove well wishes as your happy "fictional" relationship progresses, then my work is done!

LOL

15. seohowto profile image60
    seohowtoposted 15 years ago

I am excited to go to Colorado for skiing. Hopefully none of the companies will go out of business by this time::smile))

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Lenaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I missed you! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)