Just to let you guys know!

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (83 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Hey!

I have finally made it across the Atlantic and now I just getting ready to spend my first day in the big city, which will involve exciting things such as getting the water turned on, and buying furniture.I am liking the look of this city soon though, and I may finally get a picture to replace the one on my profile (which is a few years old now!)

Things I have noticed about America so far include

Baseball pitches always seem to come in fours
    The water tastes funny
    The sizes of meals in tapas bars are lightly larger than the european counterparts, I can't confirm if the rumors of all meals being larger is true just yet, but I will let you know when I find out and/or am dying of diabetes and gout.
    The baths are made for midgets, which is funny because my parents got a specially large bath imported from America.
    It gets quite warm
    Everyone in America seems to be friendly apart from the women who work behind desks in Airport I am not sure if this is because the job turns them sour, or the job attracts sour, but the glare I got for asking if my baggage was being transferred on to the next flight, or if I had to go and pick it up and check it in just resolved any possibility of global warming occurring in the near future.

I will give a more fulsome update when I have a few more things sorted!

1. profile image0
      SwampDonkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to America! big_smile   What city are you in?   My friend Hokey says to tell you hi also.  smile

thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell him thanks!

I am in Austin, Texas, it's looking good so far.

1. profile image0
          SwampDonkeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Been there many times. Austin is a very cool city!  cool

2. Padrino profile image60
          Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Watch out for small planes.

I don't think I can get a job in the IRS with my visa status tongue

1. Sab Oh profile image57
              Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you kidding? You could probably become head of the IRS with no visa and ten years of unpaid taxes. Just say something shockingly inappropriate on tape somewhere and the obama administration will contact you with an offer in no time.

1. MyWebs profile image79
                MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sadly this is the real truth.

2. starme77 profile image77
                starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey, don't blame the IRS - I'm Studying to be licensed by them , they actually are not the bad bad thing people say they are. they acutally do good things,

3. donotfear profile image84
          donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A very busy city. I lived there briefly in 1976. Being Texan born, I'll always consider Texas my home. Welcome! Drive northeast to the Red River to experience humidity beyond belief, buffalo gnats, mosquitoes, water moccasins, and various other critters. Oh!!!  Those hard shelled things you see as road kill, those are armadillos. You'll be seeing lots of those!
          http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/IDX/IDX077/armadillo-road-tx_~IS729RM-00000122-001.jpg

1. luvpassion profile image62
            luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They imigrated from South america.

2. alexandriaruthk profile image70
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to America thisisoli, I know you will enjoy it here, TACOS< try Mexican foods and Asian foods, there are Chinese restaurants everywhere -- they are not as big hehe!

3. Sab Oh profile image57

"The water tastes funny"

Oh man, you didn't drink the water did you?

...I mean...um, nevermind, nevermind...Welcome!

4. Sab Oh profile image57

"Baseball pitches always seem to come in fours"

Don't call them baseball "pitches" or you will confuse people.

Also, don't say "flat" "lorry" "fag" or "Bob's your uncle" unless you've got some time on your hands to explain

I am planning to teach the entire state how to speak Yorkshire, it seems a lot easier than changing my own way of speaking.

I went to get coffee for me and my fiancee at the hotel this morning, and I asked the woman if they served coffee, she said 'we sure do' I asked if they had soy milk for my fiancee and she said "we sure don't"

I had to bite my tongue from saying 'Well im sure gonna go back to my room now'

Well, to be fair, does every hotel in the UK have soy milk on hand?

2. Padrino profile image60
          Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You would probably come closer to finding soy milk in Austin than anywhere else in Texas.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have actual cows in Texas and no one knows how to milk the soybeans.

1. luvpassion profile image62
              luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't pay any attention to those oil-pumping thingies, they're just there for looks.

Welcome
              Teri

2. rmcrayne profile image89
              rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

Oli we have Whole Foods and Sun Harvest "Health Food Stores" in Texas.  But you don't need to go to them for soy milk.  The HEB grocery chain usually has soy, almond and rice milk.

Most of the WalMarts have Culligan reverse osmosis water dispensers.  Personally, I have sworn off flouride and avoid it when possible.  Only RO and distillation can remove flouride.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

welcome to America! smile i was born in Houston. here's a cowboy hat to go with those boots.

http://i41.tinypic.com/973dcw.jpg

if you and your lovely bride ever wanna see Arizona, hit me up! wink

2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Welcome to America, then..  smile

(The airport people aren't the only ones who have turned sour, so get ready for a lot more like they are.  lol )  Then again, there's a lot of friendliness too. 

I'm guessing you may be writing a Hub about your impressions?

I might do!

The next few months might be pretty hectic though!

2. IntimatEvolution profile image70
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Lisa, Welcome to America!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Sounds like a grand adventure so far. (Buy a water-filtering pitcher).

Haha we have received one of those as an early wedding present, going to have to get it unpacked!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use one of those and they are fantastic!

3. profile image52
      winsletposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, you are right i have some idea about water filter, More and more people are turning to flavored carbonated water due to its amazing refreshing taste and huge health benefits as is has no added sugar, colors, preservatives, sweeteners, fruit concentrate or calories. Some of the many great fruit flavors that can be purchased include black currant, apple, lemon and blueberry and many more.

4. Betty Reid profile image59
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the U.S.  Just to warn you: not all cities are as friendly as Austin.

Thank you!

I have heard that life would have been different had I moved to Houston!

2. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True!  Even compared to San Antonio, only 2 hours away!  I was in Austin last weekend with my brother.  He remarked how much friendlier everyone in Austin was.

5. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Well a Big Texas "How do you do?"...then from one of the friendliest parts of America.

Welcome to our fair country. There are a lot of good people here...and a lot of "not-so-nice"...as with all countries. Here's to ya' meeting all of the good ones! (I know...What's up with all the dang midget-size bath tubs?)

As a man who is a good 6'4 I can say there is a lot wrong with the midget sized bathtubs tongue

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a piece of a man !!! tongue

lol

2. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it may be because a lot of Americans are shower-takers?   (Or else, midgets, of course.  smile  )

6. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

how exciting for you. welcome to the United States! 
    I hope they treat you well in Austin. 

it will be fun to read your updates and observations. keep us posted. big_smile

now, first on the agenda...
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2009/2513414034_efc99d7490.jpg

I'm going to get some with spurs!

Have you shot at anything yet?

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol My dad has a pair like that...they are ostrich boots! lol

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

big_smile there you go!

8. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Glad you arrived safely. The transitions can be a little rough at first, but it sounds like once you get past the airport, you'll taste real life in Texas and enjoy it for the most part. As for the baths, switch to a jacuzzi for two. I have one of those in my home that I only get to go to once in a while, but I LOVE it! Of course, that may not be an immediate option for you, but nevertheless, I enjoy mine when  I get the chance!

Hope settling in is enjoyable!

9. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Welcome, American is a great, great place to be!!! Yes, airports, staffing obviously is hard, because they are all sour regardless of which airport you go to...not to be negative.  But at least they have a job. 
    Anyway, you are in a beautiful city, enjoy it and my best to you!

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Welcome Thisisoli. You'll love Austin and Texas. Woderful place with wonderful people.

11. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the US!  I'm sure your transition will be smooth smile

12. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Welcome to America, oli; I hope you have a great time and that people take good care of you.

Interesting...I thought the showers and baths in the UK were made for midgets; how strange.

Yes-all the serving sizes are probably bigger.

I'm with Rochelle, get yourself a water filter/pitcher.

A good grocery store (or Whole Foods) will have soy milk for your fiance.

Good luck teaching the Texans to speak Yorkshire!! smile

13. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

Oil you made it!!
    Happy to have you here my friend!!

14. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

Welcome!

The thing about the US is that EVERY city is different.  Our diversity is what defines us. 

Small bathtubs?  Hmmm.  Must be a peculiarity of your particular hotel. 

Bad water?  Yeah, that happens in the bigger cities. Where I live, the water is as clean, safe, and fresh as anywhere on the planet.  No filter needed.

Yeah: Airport clerks are like that EVERYWHERE. LOL

They carry guns in Texas, don't they?  That would make me uncomfortable.

When's the wedding?

15. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Welcome to America Oli. I'm sure you will like Austin much better than Houston. I have lived in Houston twice and it has too way too much crime. Especially after hurricane Katrina when many of the worst people from New Orleans ended up relocated to Houston.

16. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

And Oli Welcome to America! You'll get use to the water but like someone said yes get a water filter it'll help you get use to the water smile

17. figment profile image77
    figmentposted 14 years ago

Welcome to America and my home state.  You'll love Austin, but it will be NOTHING like home.

18. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the U.S., Oli.  Glad you made it safely.  I'm guessing you've got public water where you are... often tastes funny to me.  I've always lived out in the country and had private, or "well" water.  Some people hate it, but I love it.

Anyway, good luck gettin' all them Texans to switch over to your vernacular! roll lol

19. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Oli,
    Welcome to my great state!  I am hoping you'll write a hub or two about your impressions of America.

The economic trends in Austin were just featured in a recent issue of Time magazine.  I don't see how you could have picked any better city.

20. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Welcome, Oli!  By the way, not all Americans talk as funny as them Texans!!!  lol   

On a serious note, you couldn't have come to a friendlier place. You'll feel at home in no time.  You must be exhausted...

1. figment profile image77
      figmentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL big_smile

21. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Welcome to America Oli! smile

22. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

welcome oli...hope the economic and political problems don't get you down. whatever you do....(whispers)don't go hmo(medical care) wink

23. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Welcome to the US of A, Oli!! come see the beautiful state of georgia!

24. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Welcome Oli and Pa. is nice too! my Husband says it is a lot like Germany.

25. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Welcome Oli!  While it's true Texans talk funny, so do New Yorkers and many other southerners - but at least you wont have to deal with snow!

Everyone talks funny except Bostonians

26. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Welcome to Texas, Oli!  My husband came over from England on the QM2 exactly 3 years ago tomorrow.  We married in May 2007.  We are on the last bit of the permanent status paperwork to remove the 2 yr conditional part.  smile

We live just about an hour to an hour and a half north of you.  We're practically neighbors in Texas terms. smile

27. _cheryl_ profile image82
    _cheryl_posted 14 years ago

Welcom Oli!...just wait, it'll get much warmer soon! smile

28. Mieka profile image63
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

Good luck Oli! That is some life changing stuff you have going on, and it sounds fun!!

29. Faybe Bay profile image64
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Welcome Oli, and have a great time here in America.

30. theherbivorehippi profile image64
    theherbivorehippiposted 14 years ago

Hey!!!  Welcome!! I used to live in Texas!  Watch out for the super-sized bugs...lol...especially the spiders. haha. Texas is beautiful though..you will love it!

31. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Haha not seen any spiders yet, thank god.

A big thank you to everyone though, I have been incredibly busy sorting out our new apartment, and have even managed to survive Ikea on Good Friday.

KCC, I hope you are excited, they really do not make this process easy in the least!

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Oli, I couldn't agree more! After spending over 4 years on this process and thousands of dollars, I now understand why there are so many "illegals".  To do it legally, is time-consuming and expensive. 

We got caught in a price increase on one of our forms.  When I mailed it cost $395, but I accidently sent $397 (long story), and they rejected it, and it took them 2 wks to send it back.  I turned it around the same day with a new check and it missed the date by 1 day.  They made us pay the new fee which was now $1098.   We tried fighting it for about 6 months.  It did nothing but delay everything.  *sigh*

You can apply for your social security card now. You won't be able to get your Texas Driver's license until you have at least 6 months left on your VISA.  Well, as you know, the K-1 visa only has 3 months left on it once you get here.  So, until you file for that change of status after getting married, you can't even try to get your license.  You can drive a year here on your UK license.  Speaking of which, have you tried to drive here yet?  Took my hubby awhile to remember to stay on the right side of the road. I can't even imagine trying to drive in the UK. I'd have a wreck the first day.

Best of luck to you and the bride to be.  When is the wedding?

Haha I have not tried to drive yet, and now that I have made it in to the country I will still be looking at a $1000+ fee for filing for a change of status, they really dno't make this cheap!

We had so much stress going through the fiancĂ©e visa process that we have decided to get some kind of legal help in finishing off the rest of this process.  Although again, that is still dependant on the cost.

Righ tnow I am looking forward to a few days of relaxation, could be another week till I see htat though, the missus has a million and one jobs for me to do!

It can be a time-consuming, $-consuming, patience-consuming process for sure! That is one of the biggest reasons what illegals do is so wrong.

32. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

congrats on finally getting over here oli!! I hope all is well. Take care and try to have fun wink

33. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

oli, welcome to the US.

I hope you get adjusted well.
    I'm imagining your accent, in the state of Texas...
    phew. That's a lot of funny sounding English. Do me a favor - if you decide to switch to an American accent, don't pick Texan.

Massachusetts people have a cool accent. Chicago is good (ChiCAHgo) Maine too. ayuh!
    Sorry Texans, I'm just kidding. A little. I don't like New Jersey either.

If you want to learn the perfect American accent, and the only one that's right lol, come on over to Detroit.

tongue
    lol

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHA!!!!

I like English accents.

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too.
        I'll bet when oli says "rubber baby buggy bumpers" he sounds sophisticated and regal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/montypython … QFKtI6gn9Y

1. profile image0

your my hero!!

big_smile

I get the Argument Clinic stuck in my head sometimes, spending time in the forums

1. profile image0

no you dont.

yes I do

1. profile image0

lol Ive got to get going, pretend I bonked you on the head...catch ya' later!!

lol

Take it easy Justine
                    Happy Easter if you celebrate
                    smile

34. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Hey great news Oli! Here's to a great life for you and your finacee!

(P.S. when you have a minute check out Sunforges new 60 Day challenge)

35. ChristinaScibona profile image71
    ChristinaScibonaposted 14 years ago

What a trip that had to have been!  I am glad you made it okay...you sure did pick a hot state to live in!  I visited Texas-San Antonio a long time ago and I all I can remember is the BIG bugs and the HEAT!  Have fun and best of luck!

36. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

We got a letter extending his conditional status and to expect a letter regarding his biometrics appointment.  So, I'm hoping they only granted the extension in case THEY went past his Jun 5th deadline before it expires.  Otherwise, he should just be granted his non-conditional permanent residency since we've more than fulfulled the 2 yr requirement.  We'll actually be married 3 years in May. 

I'll be interested in hearing all the things you find fascinating here in Texas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)