So many "hubbers" can't spell and publish...why?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (162 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

The title should read: So many "hubbers" can't spell yet they publish...why?

I read the comments of so many "hubbers" in the forum and in published hubs who can't spell and don't check spelling or syntax before they offer their comments, TO THE PUBLIC!
    I'm very anal about my writing. I would never, NEVER, offer a thought in print, if I hadn't re-read and corrected it before publishing it.
    Is it laziness or ignorance, both, or just an I don't give a damn attitude?
    To me? I judge the writer by how he/she presents a thought.
    You?
    I'm not perfect, I make mistakes...but I at least try to correct a sentence or paragraph before offering it.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry. I dont have spell check. I do have dyslexia. I look and try to see mistakes but often don't notice, since I know what I meant, so thats what I see. Untill its too late. I feel stupid when I notice my mistakes, but then I am thankful that I am not anal retentive, and move on with life.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Door...NP at all.
        I'll remain anal tho...it's just me and my pride, but gosh, "it:" pride do goeth before the fall...:-)

1. profile image0

awwww man, the higher you are the harder you fall..you dont have to tell me. I was just saying the reason why I have mistakes. Trust me, I hate them, but I try to not let other people's mistakes get to me. I have to say tho, when I see a typo on something professional, it cracks me up.

2. sunforged profile image68
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An ellipsis is a series of three points with spaces between them (. . .) inserted into a quotation to indicate the omission of material from the original quotation.

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahahah guess again Sunforged!  You think you are so smart!

An ellipsis is what happens when the moon gets in front of the sun and prevents it's rays from hitting the earth

1. qwark profile image60

Greek...hahaha..c'mon, that's an ecclesiastes! Jeez!    :-)

1. waynet profile image69
                waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol...no I think you'll find that's an epileptic!....Amateurs sigh smile

1. qwark profile image60

Waynet...damnit! I'm not perfect!  lol   :-)

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
                    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An ellipsis is what happens when the moon gets in front of the sun and prevents it's rays from hitting the earth, is a

Lunar Eclipse, read my lips, lunar eclipse

Geez, and they call me an amatooer smile

2. travelespresso profile image69
              travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're so funny GreekOne.  I love this comment and your earlier one about enhanced perfection.

E&OE lol

2. qwark profile image60

Yep Sunforged...correct!
            I didn't see a quote in that comment I made...?   lol I just love to use .........'s    :-)

3. profile image0

oh.  sad  Ive been using it all wrong...

1. Rafini profile image81
              Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

me too.......

2. katiem2 profile image60
        katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love to use . . .  because I always leave out content that I would other wise think but not write.   

I'm sure I speill words wrong and or use poor structure but it is due to my lace of time and the fact that this is not a PAID posititon yet one we have the freedom to relax and let our hair down.

Do you have any idea as to what the average reading level is of the internet brouser or is that browser . . . It's below high school level so ya know.  I feel we reach a broad audience and therefore the lower end majority may related easier.

BTW other peoples opinions of me are none of my business!

1. profile image0

other peopel's opinions of me are none of my business.  AWESOME!!!!! I love that.

1. katiem2 profile image60

I loved your comment as well.

Your wonderful and amazing and keep writing!

smile big_smile smile big_smile smile

1. profile image0

blush....thanks.

2. LSKing profile image70
          LSKingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

" BTW other peoples opinions of me are none of my business! "
          Brilliant ! ( I hope I spelled " Brilliant " right lol! )

Who cares, spell it how ever it trips off the keyboard . . .

smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmileObig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile:smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile:yikesyikesyikesyikes

Oh no I think I spelled one smiley wrong or is it wronge?

3. Rafini profile image81

BTW other peoples opinions of me are none of my business!

Excellent!  I'll hafta remember that one! big_smile smile

Hea Rafini, Lets all use it!  big_smile

2. profile image0
      Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG Quirk!  You are too funny lol I just copied your profile page into Microsoft Word and checked the Spelling and Grammar Errors. This is what Microsoft Word spelling and grammar found. I highlighted your mistakes in red, like they do in school. Enjoy lol

There are few, if any, people who – Wordiness Consider Revising
      person who is able to expand the infinite capabilities of their minds far into the abyss of limitless space and time, with the intent of exposing themselves – Pronoun Use
      "grande" – Not in dictionary
      consider: - colon use
      dependent upon it's ability to adapt and evolve - it's – commonly confused word
      visioned – Not in the dictionary (try vision)
      possibility – Not in the dictionary (Misspelling)

1. qwark profile image60

whikat...yep...lol No ones perfect...:-) I try.
        I'm sure you could do better and make a point in a manner more salient than that which I offered.
        Why did you have to go to Microsoft to find my mistakes. Golly weren't they obvious to you? lol
        Thanks tho, I will be much more careful, knowing that all my "hubs" will be checked by Microsoft by the really "caring." lol
        I will use this as a learning experience.
        Ty very very much!!! :-)

3. profile image0
      1eyedixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey senor i guess they haven't caught on to spell check like us smart people (wink and nod) adios amigos

4. Freya Cesare profile image77
      Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

English not my mother language and I still learning how to using it in the right way. hmm

I do spell check but sometimes it is still not enough. So all I can do is only say, "I'm so sorry, I can write in English perfectly." I hope everyone forgive me.

1. profile image0

I think you are fine.

1. Freya Cesare profile image77

Thank you. smile That very kind of you.

1. profile image0

I can not imagine learning English now, as an adult. Its what I was born into, and I still have a hard time using it right.

Well, I have to. If it is possible, I wish I can mastering it in one night but hhhh.... I'm still far from good. sad

You are very lucky to have international language as yours. But foreigner like me really need to beat ourselves hard if we want to become writer in English language. I still very lucky since my language written in roman. But those who's using another type of letter really works extra hard on mastering the letter only, no mention about spelling and grammar. Must be give them headache for sure.

Anyway, writing in Hub Pages and communicate with many Hubbers really help me a lot to improving my English, and I guess that is why, even with so many mistake in grammar etc, I still publishing my works. smile

1. profile image0

You should be proud.

Thank you. smile

I will when I stop doing mistake in grammar at all. Can't be too careless, right? wink

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
                Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean - mastering the Greek alphabet takes a while!

I cannot write in Greek, so I have a lot of sympathy for people with ESL. It takes courage to publish in a second language smile

And courage is all I have, Sufi. lollollol

2. Freya Cesare profile image77

I mean: I can't write in English perfectly.

Hhhh... see? I did typo and it's friends all the time. sad

2. ADDHome profile image60
    ADDHomeposted 13 years ago

Here, here!   lol  lol

(Sorry - it was too much fun to resist!)

I'm actually pretty much the same as you, but I don't catch everything.

1. qwark profile image60

TY Add...:-)

3. ADDHome profile image60
    ADDHomeposted 13 years ago

In case anyone wonders, I really did misspell "Hear, hear!" intentionally.  It was a joke.

1. profile image0

I got it, thought it was funny.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't get it, thought you spelled it correctly so didn't understand why you were saying "sorry, too much fun to resist".  Dammmmm, quark, did I catch your anal disease?

1. MJ Wadsworth profile image61
          MJ Wadsworthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only words I payed attention to, were "anal disease" and I feel alittle uneasy...

2. profile image0

jue can be sujre et wazzz  ha ha haaa  eeeh reiba rebia ye ha

4. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

The alluring promise of passive income and the fact that registration is open to anyone are probably at the root of this.

1. qwark profile image60

logic!
      It would embarrass me to offer a hub fulla mistakes that I hadn't taken the time to correct.

2. profile image0

ah ha amigo i see you came to the right place we are all compadres on this eeh ha ha

5. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I've become friends with a few hubbers whose native language isn't English. Over time, they've worked very hard and made great progress in the quality of their writing, sentax and grammar. They've also written some great hubs.

I find it distracting to read hubs that aren't particularly written well, spelling problems, mistaken or misunderstood use of "then" and "than", etc. However, I have seen some very well presented thoughts and ideas from native English speakers whose best skills were not spelling and gramar. Sure they need an editor. They need to clean it up. But I have learned throwing the baby out with the bath water is not usually a good tactic. There are some hubbers, however, who should probably pack up and find something matched better to their skill level.

1. qwark profile image60

Daniel:
      You see? You didn't correct your spelling.
      There are spelling mistakes in what you just offered.  Why?

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not that particular about my forum posts.
        And I'm not concerned about your need to correct me. But thanks for the flashlight.

1. qwark profile image60

Daniel...NP...but I do judge you...not that you give a damn...lol

6. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

But qwark - didn't you just start this thread with a mistake in the title? Is the irony lost on you?

From a personal point of view, I am here to make money, spelling is not my strong point, but I am still making money, so I am not losing any sleep over it. 80% right is good enough for me.

1. qwark profile image60

Yep, I sure did!..I caught it and corrected it. Thanks for noticing it..:-)

Rock on Spacey Gracey smile

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm a reformed perfectionist - 80% is good enough for me too, and i'm not so particular about forum posts

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I've always viewed formal language rules to be way too constricting.  They do not provide me with the flexibility to properly express the depth of my thoughts and emotions.

Furthermore, I view language as an evolving art rather than a science.  New words and expressions are being developed all the time.  Accordingly, my misspellings should be viewed as being on the cutting age of our evolving communication systems, rather than errors.

May Webster and his volume of words be damned!

1. qwark profile image60

Greek: Yep language is evolving.
      I found a mistake in your offering...Why?  :-)

1. profile image0

why the mistake or why did you see it?

I find it easy to spot mistakes in others, but for some reason, I miss mine all the time!! I wish I had a personal editor..

2. Greek One profile image63

I don't make mistakes... i just leave room for enhanced perfection

1. qwark profile image60

Greek. lolol...love it! I'll accept this mistake you made as a typo...:-)

1. profile image0
            Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Language is just means of transportation - from one point of view to another. Sometimes a horse is a little lame, so what?
            Luckily(for me) Hubpages is not a Club of Grammar Perfectionists and Linguistic Police Membership is not required.
            That's why I am here with all my mistakes and grammatical deviations.
            Take it or leave it.
            As per Russian saying: "I can see a speck of dust in your eyes, but in mine I don't even see a tree trunk".

I once saw and ad which promoted a club of cunnilinguists that advertised they would help develop one's oral skills.

Much to my surprise, the group had NOTHING to do with language

1. profile image0

sounds like a fun class tho.

2. qwark profile image60

Home Girl:
              If you are a serious writer and want to be taken seriously as a writer, by your own admission it seems to me that you aren't:

"That's why I am here with all my mistakes and grammatical deviations. Take it or leave it."

I'll judge you and what you write by that quote.
              Language is the reason you exist as you do today. Without it, you'd be living in a cave and competing with other "unconscious" life forms for survival.
              There are about 500,000 words in the English language and it's gaining in numbers everyday.
              If you are satisfied with a limited ability to communicate your thoughts and feelings, hey, I have no problem with that. But when you write, I will judge your education and crediblity by the way you use your native language, which is, I presume, English.....:-)

2. charlemont profile image75
          charlemontposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek that is one perfectly laid out thought!
          LOL I'm enjoying it.

as a married man, I am not allowed to think about getting laid out anymore

I'm with you Greek one!  About the

I've always viewed formal language rules to be way too constricting.  They do not provide me with the flexibility to properly express the depth of my thoughts and emotions.

Furthermore, I view language as an evolving art rather than a science.  New words and expressions are being developed all the time.  Accordingly, my misspellings should be viewed as being on the cutting age of our evolving communication systems, rather than errors.

3. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with quark but I also agree with Greek one. I have more trouble with sentences being a bit Dyslexic, although I have never had any complaints..I posted a quick thread yesterday and then noticed my title had bad grammar, everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

8. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

Thers no xcuse 4 bade speeling.

Anyone ever tell you you look like "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha?" (original Brady Bunch)

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Lets eat grandma!

or

Let's eat, grandma!

I don't mind bad grammar as long as I can understand what is being said. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case.

please refer to my previous post

1. profile image0

And to mine.
        Let's eat gramma!

1. profile image0

uhhhh...that sounds really scary considering what I remember of greeks earlier post..

2. timorous profile image81
          timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suspect qwark will assert that many would-be writers eat grammar, and regurgitate it as something else. big_smile

1. qwark profile image60

Nope Timorous, but once ingested I would love to see it digested and be ejected in improved form. Too much to ask?  :-)

1. timorous profile image81
              timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I fear it's not possible for many people.

2. sunforged profile image68
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Grandma

1. profile image0

Not grandma, -  gramma or both!  tongue

3. couturepopcafe profile image59

Uninvited writer, excellent example.

10. MJ Wadsworth profile image61
    MJ Wadsworthposted 13 years ago

Wait a minute hold the phone, I was under the impression that an Eclipse was when a woman ate a jaffa cake? Or was that A total Eclipse? I'm so confused has the television lied to me again sad

1. profile image0

whats a jaffa cake?

a cake that has been made out of jaffa

1. profile image0

so useful. so I googled it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Cakes

turns out I have had those before, they are yummy.

Yes I think they are a form of control,as I find them very addictive, I can polish A box or two quite easily and quickly.

1. profile image0

Where I live they are not regularly available. I got them at a liquidation center. Th epackage had about 6 in there, so, no big deal to eat a whole pack.

I don't even know how many is in a pack, but I do know, that it ain't enough! Doesn't last very long and leaves me wanting more, hmmm think I have withdrawal symptons...

1. profile image0

me too. Who knows when some out of the country store will have a fire and send the remains here again?

Who knows indeed! I nowo want some jaffa cakes, you've opened pandora's box are you proud!

2. Greek One profile image63

An eclipse is a cool little car made by Mitsubishi

http://www.cardata.com/spoilers/images/DAR_Spoilers/fg-136_2008_Mitsubishi_Eclipse.jpg

1. profile image0

Eat your shirt!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL   lmao thanks GreekOne  big_smile

3. Spacey Gracey profile image40
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

'Full moon, half moon, toe-tall eeeeklipse' - I loved that ad.

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

if we could correct each other without a whole slew of reverberations or retribution or something  - like without insulting the dolts - er,
    I mean, writers!  but alas, whenever someone dares to make a correction they get stalked, or worse, I fear.

Once a friend pointed out a fact error in one of my hubs and I was truly grateful - us is all here to learn ain't wee?

As I told my grade 3 teacher (and every teacher since then)...

"i ain't here to learn nothing"

"And don't try to make me laugh, either."

2. profile image0

I am perfectly fine with errors being pointed out to me. I am well aware that I make several.  I try not to. I dont bother other people with mistakes I see, because I know Ive made so many. My original answer was to why I hit publish, with so many errors still there.

Because A.D.D.ers don't have the patience to keep going over the same things again and again.  No, it's not patience, it's focus.  The focus thing is a bit misunderstood, too.  It's not like they're in a spacey fog-can't focus, it's more like they are so in tune with everything that is going on around them, every little distraction breaks the focus of what you're doing. 

Getting off caffeind (intended) (geez, now I have to qualify every pun), adding all B vitamins (taken as a group), calcium, fish oil, especially omega 3-6-9 taken as a group, plenty of water will help give you the nourishment your body may be lacking in the brain department.

"Ah, excuze mea, mizter, iz thiz the brane depotment?"
        "Yes, m'am.  Were you looking for something in particular?"
        "Well, I don't know.  I gueazz I'd be able to tell yu, if I onli had a brane."

12. MJ Wadsworth profile image61
    MJ Wadsworthposted 13 years ago

Aha you guys are funny, I'm not gonna lie!

Wow I'm wanting one of these eclipses they are cooler then I remember!

13. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

My take on the title of this thread is that it should read:  "So many Hubbers can't spell, yet they publish."  (Commas separate two completely separate ideas when there is a conjunction at the beginning of the second idea.  In this case "yet" is used as a conjunction.)

(Do I get an "A" on forum-thread creating for this?   smile  )

As far as the thing about running spell-check goes, I do think it's clear that a lot of people don't bother.  I think it does really make a big difference, and it's such a quick thing to do.  Spell-checkers have helped my naturally-non-spelling son (more accurately, former kid with a learning problem) learn to spell a whole lot better.  He doesn't write online (because writing has never been "his thing"), but spell-checkers help him feel a whole lot more confident in even basic things, like e.mails.

1. profile image0

sad what about people who dont have spell checkers? I dont have time to write my every forum statement in word, check, fix, save, copy/paste then submit to the forum.

Really good point.  smile

2. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

DoorMattnomore,  everyone has his own idea about this kind of stuff; but my thing is I don't think most people think anyone needs to worry about forum posting anyway.  Most people (even the ones who are comfortable with spelling) are pretty casual about things like forum posting. 

I think when people make remarks about people posting Hubs without running spell-checker it's more about the Hubs than about any of the "less formal" types of writing on the Internet.  There's the spell-checker for Hubbers to use before publishing.  I think that's, for the most part, the only thing people who "make remarks" about checking spelling before publishing are talking about.

Believe me, as someone who watched my very bright son struggle with spelling from the time he started school until now (years after he finished school), I know what a challenge it can be; and I really don't think people who have a "spelling disability" should decide not to write because of it. 

I've seen Hubs, though, that are so moving and that have something so important to say, but that have "tons" of spelling errors in them, to the point where it seems unfortunate that such important or moving ideas haven't been given a simple run of a spell-checker in order to present them in a way that does them justice.  I'm not talking about an occasional spelling error here or there.  Everyone has them.  I mean those Hubs that are so loaded with spelling "issues" it's clear the author didn't run spell-check.

What people do or don't do with their own Hubs is their business.   Sometimes, though, what would have been a really great piece of writing is turned into something so much less because someone didn't just run the spell-checker.  I'm not making this comment from a judgmental point-of-view whatsoever, believe me.  I'm making it because you said you're someone with Dyslexia (but because I know there must be "zillions" of other Hubbers who also have a "spelling disability"), and I'm thinking about what a challenge my son's spelling issues have always been for him.  I'm also thinking about how I saw him as as such a hero when he found ways to learn what he hadn't been able to learn throughout all those school years.  More importantly, he's been a hero as far as I'm concerned for not letting his disability stop him from doing something like writing when he has to put something in writing.

Maybe a forum post isn't supposed to turn all this serious, but I know how my son sometimes squirms when the subject of spelling or writing comes up; and I know there are a lot of people on here who either have Dyslexia or some other thing that makes spelling a challenge for them (so I think it may not be bad idea to address that on a thread like this).

When my son is at my house and I see him first write an e.mail, and then do a quick fix of any spelling errors in it, I see something happen in his face that kind of indicates he sees the e.mail as "all set" once those errors have been fixed.  It's almost as if he shifts from his "aiming to do his best" mode when he's writing to a "knowing he's done a good job" mode, once the errors have been fixed.  It's also as if he feels as if his writing is now "in the same running" as everyone else's.

He gets to have a "mini-confidence" in his writing that he never got to have in school, when he always felt as if his spelling and reading problems were the things that brought his grades down and made him feel different from most of the kids who had no problems.

I'll be honest.  When I run into online articles that are loaded with spelling errors (and, again, I don't mean the error here or there), I usually think, "This person must be like my son - lots of important, meaningful, and intelligent thoughts and feelings but a "mechanical" problem when it comes to doing those thoughts and feelings and ideas justice."  I always kind of admire the person for writing at all, but I also wish (not that it's my business) they'd do their fine ideas justice by cleaning up the spelling just a little and letting their writing take its place among "all the other writing" without calling attention to the writer's difficulty with spelling.

I'm not talking about you here, because I can't say I've read enough of your Hubs to even know what you do or don't have in terms of spelling errors.  I'm just talking about some of the Hubs I've run into at one time or another, written by "whoever". 

When my son was a little boy so many of the other little kids made him feel inferior because of his struggles in school, when, in reality, he was a lot more intelligent and generally "on top of things" than a lot of them were.  I suppose that's why, when I see some Hub that is loaded with spelling errors, I think, "Hey, you-person-who-wrote-this, why not run a spell-checker, clean it up some, and don't let the relatively unimportant fact that you have trouble spelling detract from this otherwise interesting, useful, or important, piece of writing."

As I said, what other Hubbers on here do is not my business.  I know that just because I have one son who has trouble spelling, that doesn't mean I'm the mother of all the thousands of Hubbers who have trouble with spelling.  It's just that I so often run into Hubs that make me think, "Hmm.  I don't think this person realizes what a good piece of writing this would be if he'd only run a quick spell-check."

I know there are people who say, "I just want to write, and I'm not out to impress anyone or earn any money."  That's their business.  Still, though, it just seems like a shame that some Hubs aren't "the best they could be" just because someone "isn't out to impress anybody".   I just think a lot of the writers of such Hubs, and the Hubs, themselves, deserve a little more than that.  Again, though - not my business.  I just wanted to make the point that sometimes when people think running a spell-checker is worth doing, it's not because they're grammar Nazis.    smile

1. profile image0

I had no idea there was a spell checker for hubs,I will go find it. I make these kinds of errors

abou tit = about it

hte = the

stuff like that. Its very frustrating to me to spell things wrong, I actualy am very good at spelling..just not typing, or seeing the mistake. I try very hard to be correct with punctuation and grammar and I completly understand that lots of spelling mistakes take away from the message. My point is just that it is insulting to have people think that errors mean lazyness or a lack of caring. (I know thats not what you meant)Thanks for the story of your son.

14. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

I am here for the money! I misspell and do not use proper English on purpose! I feel that if someone is looking for proper spelling they will click on the properly spelled Google adsense advertisement smile Just Kidding.

1. profile image0

sometimes I google stuff, and misspell what I am searching for, and usally find something. I think..you might get an amount of traffic if you purposely use commonly misspelled words. I am pretty sure there was a thread about that a bit ago.

Whitkat, Another good point!  big_smile

15. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

This site's language snobs are showing their prejudice against my people.

As a Canadian, my use of the English language differs from that of the the bastardized American version.

So called 'grammatical errors' in my work are, in fact, merely the proper Canadian version of English language.

I am tired of being persecuted and ridiculed.

Shame on all of you.

http://www.articleslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Canadian-Flag.jpg

You've made me want to be born again as a Canadian smile

2. profile image0

bastardized? really? .......eh?

bastardized is strong... what about 'corrupted'.... huh?

1. profile image0

evolved.

1. qwark profile image60

Doormatt:
            "Evolved" is absolutely right!   :-)

3. couturepopcafe profile image59

Pip, pip, and all that sort of rot.  Blasted Americans - still think they're in the wild wild west with their long aaaaaaaaaa's and made up words.  They have absolutely ruined the King's English for me.  I don't suppose I shall ever write another word for as long as I live.  Even my eyes are beginning to feel the torment. 

Williams, where are my smelling salts?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, our English is correct...their's isn't smile

16. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

qwark.  See that squiggly red line under your name?  I C U .EYE SEA YEW.  One thing your right about and that is that your not perfect. In this forum question of yours there are three misspellings . Way to edit .But i am not going to blame ignorance. I'm not going to suggest your lazy. Or that you don't care .This question of yours i chalk up to plain arrogance.
    I hope the manner in which i presented my thoughts is up to your standards.
    ray

1. qwark profile image60

Aware:
      Of course it is up to my standards!
      I couldn't find the "squiggly" you mentioned?
      Did the verb re-read throw ya?  lol
      Arrogance? golly I apologize if I "offensively exagerated " myself or the subject of my question.
      I just thought I'd get peoples opinion on why so many would feel no embarrassment at all when offering responses that adults, whose native language is English, shouldn't make in the subjects of spelling and grammar.
      To me it's as disgusting as dubya, after being corrected, continuing to use the word "nucular" when meaning "nuclear." That's arrogance to the "nth" degree.
      Your opinion of me is always acceptable! I always consider the "source."
      Thanks...:-)

2. profile image0

I sea know eivil, I here know eivil, and I speek no evill. tongue

17. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Waiting for chicken wings to be delivered...

Just thought I'd share.

1. lrohner profile image67
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're sharing chicken wings? I'll be right over... smile

Buffalo?  I'll be right over UW smile

18. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

ok here I go again - I'm NOT a snob and make plenty of errors myself but this one is one that really gets to me

your = the possessive, meaning something that you own
    you're = you are, a conjunction of those two words

people misuse these so often and I don't know why

- also their, they're, there

and it only takes a second to use them the right way.

1. aware profile image67
      awareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Punctuation and capitalization? mega lack of those  really burns  me. lol

19. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

oh, man.  typos & corrections......what to do?  fix 'em or let 'em be?  do I really need to capitalize?  does it really matter?  or, can I only use hte shift key when I want?  lol  what about using abbreviations - does that matter?  or, how 'bout txtspk?  in my hubs, I mean. 

Well, for me, I love the backspace key and delete key.  My mind knows they're there, so when I make a typo I automatically search out the right key and...'tap' however many necessary times. 

When reading someone else's hubs, I don't mind the mistakes unless there's so many of them that I think the hubber is careless - I also go by the writing style.  Does the hubber write well, with a few spelling mistakes?  Is the hub presented well?  Does the article make sense as written - I mean, can I understand what the writer intended to say?  After these questions are answered, then I make my decision on whether or not I'll go back to read more.

20. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

qwark . I   wonder why far to many want to thrust embarrassment onto those  not deserving  or in need of it to begin with. I see that type of behavior as ugly and mean spirited . and that red line under your name qwark? The proper spelling is quark .
    Ray

1. qwark profile image60

Aware: My goodness, "quark?" I don't think I've ever used that moniker. How'd you come to the conclusion my name is Quark?
      No problem tho. You can refer to me as "Quark" if you'd like.
      Now how in the world can I thrust "embarrassment" on anyone?
      Embarrassment should come from ones inner self. After all isn't the definition of embarrassment: "to cause or experience self conscious distress?"
      I don't have an ugly or mean spirited bone in the old body...lol
      But I am guilty of having a very critical mind that expects more from people than they can produce.
      The "qualitative" facets of my intellect seek the same from those whom I would like to respect.
      Judgement is mine!   :-)

21. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

i think after this thread we'll all be getting a little bit paranoid(or is it paranoide?)!

22. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

lol

23. OldSkoolFool profile image60
    OldSkoolFoolposted 13 years ago

I can;t spell, I'm a Gopher!

1. profile image0

And I am  a tea-pot!

24. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

The reasons for poor grammar and spelling are:

1) It no longer seems to be emphasized in school curriculums.  When I went to public school many moons ago, it was drilled into us until it was automatic.

2) People are in a hurry to put their thoughts out there, and they've never had the discipline to go back over what they've written (they may perceive it as a waste of 'valuable' time).

3) They really are lazy and don't care..as long as they're understood.

It is unfortunate, but unless the habit is instilled early and often, it will just fall into disuse, as with many other things. sad

25. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I confess, I text all day long and therefore use text speak and it spills over into my comments at times.

TEXTING, I blame it on TEXTING!

26. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

lol . My name is Ray.A K A aware.I see your name here is qwark .Which isn't even a word.My conclusion is drawn from that fact.And as far as your respect. well you can miss me with that.
    Ray

1. qwark profile image60

Aware (ray) ...gosh, Qwark isn't a word? How the hell did I type if if it isn't? Oh well.

".And as far as your respect. well you can miss me with that."

Thanks for the permission! From this point on you will be disrespected....:-) NP at all. Your wish is my command!  :-)

1. Rafini profile image81

lol   Hi Qwark, (which isn't  a real word btw, but a word spelled phonetically). big_smile
        how r u tonite?  um, lol, I'm sticking my nose in, again, aren't I?  lol  Oh, well!   

Um, anyway, I kinda thought, um, he was saying he wasn't seeking your respect.  Don't understand it though....I mean...I'd rather have someone's respect that be disrespected, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna bend over backwards to get it.

27. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Maibee we is allitterate!

28. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I used to be an English teacher.  Correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure are going to be priorities in my writing.

I've known some brilliant people who just couldn't spell.  If spell check is available, there's no excuse not to use it.

I tend to be most critical of the web pages of area companies, especially when I see mistakes in the use of the English language.  Many of them paid quite a bit to have a web site put up, and for the amount of money they spent, they should have had a proofreader going over the text on their site.  I will judge them a little more harshly than I judge hubbers.  smile

1. qwark profile image60

Grace:
      If you read any of my "hubs" you'll see why I am so emphatic about syntax, grammar and spelling.
      I am not perfect. You will very occassionaly find a typo.
      I was a "proof" reader for gov't info that had to be promulgated to the public.
      I will admit that I judge peoples writing very critically. If it is loaded with mistakes, I quit reading.
      I would expect the same response from those reading my "hubs."
      I check and re-check...but still make an occassional mistake.

29. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Mis-spelling and poor grammar are the hallmarks of poor education, low intelligence levels or laziness.  In these forums they are occasionally newbies who are here to air some personal issue and then they are kind enough to leave. The other main source are the kristians who are here to constantly bang their drums in this WRITERS FORUM.  Their hubs exhibit the same 14 year old mentality.  But then if they did not post we would not look so bright I guess smile

1. qwark profile image60

Love it China..!!! So true!   :-)

2. profile image0

China Man,
      I checked your "Fishing in China" hub; if I were you, I would consider using a better spelling and grammar tool. You should try copying and pasting your own work, before criticizing others on their spelling and grammar. Move along now folks, nothing to see here but hypocrites.

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

Thumbs up Whikat

2. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sooooo sorry I stopped short of being anal in the grammatical correctness of my hub.  If I ever get enough time from my three jobs to go back and worry about the typo's and dots I will let you know.

And your anal analysis of Quarks hub shows that you have no idea about licence in writing, inference or humour.

If I ever get so bored from reading good interesting hubs I will pop by yours ok smile

1. Spacey Gracey profile image40
          Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

china man: "Mis-spelling and poor grammar are the hallmarks of poor education, low intelligence levels or laziness."

When someone points out your errors, this statement does not apply to you, because you have three jobs. Apologies, I hadn't realized you were the only busy person on the planet, and therefore were excused from the normal spelling and grammar rules that apply to the ordinary mortal.

When I make errors, according to you I am lazy, dim, or poorly educated. When you make errors it is because you are already working so hard. I will remember that the next time I knock out a hub at 10pm after already caring for two kids for 12 hours.

1. profile image0

You are getting all fired up over the wrong issue.  Nobody, especially me, is attacking 'normal' people who write hubs and post discussion in the forums.  I apologise if I responded to a previous attack on MY writing a bit harshly.

This is about the drive-by evangelists who are barely literate but want to tell us wot they did reed in their book !  It is about the people who open an account then post their guts on the forums and never come back to read the replies, maybe because they can't read.  And especially the religious fundies who put up total drivel and expound on it continuously when they have no idea what they are talking about and their educational level is clealry so low they can barely write a coherent sentence, never mind spell big words.

2. profile image0

China Man,
          Your hub had so many spelling and grammar errors, that they were to exhausting to list! Only a foolish person would deliberately not correct their own mistakes, and then turn around and accuse others of the same mistakes as you have repeatedly done on this forum. That is why I used the word hypocrite, look that word up if you do not understand the meaning.

1. profile image0

I have been back to my fishing hub to check, I guess anything is possible.  There is very little wrong with the conversational style of writing, not enough to bother correcting.  You are making a direct and unfounded personal attack on me and directly making untrue statements about my hubs.

1. profile image0

No personal attack on you, like you have done to others. Maybe, we use a different spelling and grammar checker? Do you use Microsoft Word, or the log in your own eye?

1. profile image0

No - you are making a direct personal attack on me - and your so-called criticism is a direct lie.

1. profile image0

China Man, Seriously I do not know you, nor care how many spelling and grammar errors that Microsoft Word shows you had.  I am simply pointing out a proverb I once read, "He who is innocent, may cast the first stone!"  Worry about your own mistakes before worrying about others.  Have a great day smile

3. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are some very intellectual uses of grammar and spelling in this post. Some examples of better education, great intellect and activeness are as following: 

~source are : sources are/ source is.
      ~kristians : Christians,if I am not wrong as usual.
      ~Mis-spelling : Misspelling, isn't it?

And yes alternate poet, this high thought post is looking bright.

1. profile image0

Forum posts do not require any great level of English - they include irony which seems to be lost on you, and on most of the kristians here, and typos are not important enough to go back to correct.

There is a big difference in writing with some degree of ability and vomiting bigotry into a post.  I have no issue with any level of English in discussion, my life (at the moment) is about discussing with Chinese learners - I do have issue with those who know very little who are trying to tell the world what is what, and they brand their ignorance with their inability to write, which by definition shows their reading level, and by extension their knowledge of anything really.

30. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Thank You Gracenotes for saying it as it is. Good english and spelling are going down hill fast here in the United States. Just try reading a text message today. I do make mistakes also.

31. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

The long the information is carried it should be OK. All the people of the world don't know English well but they are not necessarily less bright than anyone writing better English. Shame on who can't come out from the barrier of language even in this century. I am one of those who have just started learning English and I always have wanted helps from the fellow hubbers to make me correct if I am wrong. But surely I don't care some mistakes when writing in forum. And I don't care the people having no courtesy try to push the hill saying that they look brighter when we make mistakes.

1. profile image0

Nobody is criticising second language speakers, least of all me as it is my job to teach them them English as a second language.  It is English as a first language speakers who do nto have the ability or education of some of my mid level classes - but who push their supposedly superior 'knowledge' on these forums.

32. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I think one should apply the same diligence to all writing pursuits, whether it's a hub article, a forum post, or a post-it note on your refrigerator.  If you've learned to write properly, it should be automatic.

Here online, you have ample opportunity to compose your responses, until you feel you've gotten it right, including spelling..before you hit 'Submit'.  In fact, in these forums you have up to 4 hours to re-edit your posted remarks.

Let's not be lazy, boys and girls. smile

33. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

well the one who writes must be responsible enough for his output, but sometimes tired eyes can't see the mistake (misktake) anymore, that is why it is adviceable to rest first then edit your article when your mind and eyes are fresh..

I am not perfect and my common mistake is missing the word, because I guess think faster than I type.....

this is in a way a good comment it made me feel more conscious with my job. oops I mispelled the mistake hahahah

34. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Forum posts and emails do not have to conform to grammar rules.

However, in my hubs I try to write as well as I can. Of course, I find mistakes...usually right after I have hit publish.

No one is perfect but I believe you should make an effort to write as well as you can. As many, many great writers have said... "rewrite, rewrite, rewrite."

35. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I can not find a spell checker, did you mean there is one somewhere on the editing page?

36. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

HAHA!!! I found it, the spell checker..I feel super stupid. But pretty happy. smile Only thing is...its says I spelled things like

looking, wrong. It wants me to change the ing to Ing? wierd..

37. maruthirp profile image61
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

This is a community based service and any one who adheres the terms can write anyway they like. I don't find anything wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)