Chris Matthews racial slur

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (92 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm surprised that Matthews used a racial slur on his show. He said that those who doubt Obama is a US citizen are "crackers." That's the white equivalent of the n-word.

I'm not a birther - I believe BO was born in Hawaii. But why did Chris have to resort to such language?

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because he is full of VITRIOL and should tone down the RHETORIC before he INFLAMES someone.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jim, I don't know if those outside the South recognize the slur. I do, and I don't like it. Why didn't he just say "nutjobs" or "silly folks" or something like that? Why did it have to be about race?

The left uses race.

Its a blunt instrument to them.

1. bgamall profile image68
            bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice try, but Crackers is a comedy club. It could be a word that substitutes for "joke". Here is proof of the comedy club: http://www.crackerscomedy.com/

1. habee profile image93

Unless you're from the South, you don't understand the slur. Prolly isn't used too often in Nevada.

1. bgamall profile image68

I am saying he was probably substituting the word as a word for joker, or maybe crackpot, which means they are crazy. I think you are making too big of a deal out of it. I lived in Tennessee for 2 years and Arkansas for 3 years and never heard the term.

1. habee profile image93

The term was used a lot in GA in the late 60s and early 70s, when I was in school. In junior high, I was assaulted by a group of black males who constantly referred to me as "cracker girl" while they were attempting to do "things" to me. You can see why this word definitely has negative connotations for me.I am not alone, however. Many Southern readers have posted comments on blogs and articles about Matthews' use of the word. As I said, perhaps Chris didn't know the implications that go with the term - in the minds of many Southern whites.

2. profile image48
              hlnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're over-thinking this. You're talking about Chris Matthews, for pity sakes!

3. Jim Hunter profile image61

Uhhhhh?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're the pot calling the kettle black.

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's all about arrogance and elitism!  He thinks he will ingratiate himself with people of color.  That it will make him above the ignorant masses.  He truly does not see that racism in any form is abhorrent.

3. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is cracker racist in the US !
      It isn't in the UK where somebody who was described as crackers would be considered mildly nuts or if described as a cracker would generally be an attractive woman or something good.

You mean things are different there.

Whowouldathunkit?

1. lovemychris profile image77
          lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can tell you went to the Fox school of language. Snarky, rude, vicious and unpleasant all in one mouthful.

Let me guess...that was a Limbaugh special, huh?

Obamablessyou.

1. tritrain profile image69
              tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

gazuntite

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Here it's "bonkers."

4. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No Habee, it isn't.

CRACKER:

A poor, white person in some parts of the southern United States who, perhaps, could only afford to eat crackers.
      The most common explanation for the origin of this phrase is that it is from corncracker, or someone who distills corn whiskey (cracking corn is to crush it into a mash for distillation). The song lyric "Jimmy Crack Corn" is a reference to this. In the song a slave sings about his master got drunk, fell, hit his head, and died. And the slave "don't care." The usage, however, is probably not the origin of the term cracker.
      More likely is that it is from an early sense of crack meaning to boast. This sense dates to the 16th century. A 1766 quote in the OEO2 gives the origin of cracker as boastful. (The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language)
      a small firework
      a slang term used by 19th century Georgian slaves to refer to the cracking of the slavemaster's whip.
      a white person (Dictionary of Afro-American Slang by Clarence Major)

http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~pchang/etymology_of_hate.htm

Let's test your theory:  We'll open a chain of restaurants called "Nigger Barrel" and see what kind of response we get; or how about a delightful sweet popcorn treat called "JewBoy Jacks" ?

1. profile image57
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What your realy saying is this: Only a minority can define racism, race baiting, etc. That only a minority can discuss racially charged issues frankly without being accused of being racist. The only exception would be if the speaker is using a negative description of his own race, and that race is the majority. RIGHT. GOT IT. Your often witty and fair. Here your showing a side that's NEITHER.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Please edit your post for spelling, grammar, and a truthful representation of my statements; then we can talk.

1. profile image57

Didn't think so.

Didn't think you own post made any sense?

Gotcha'

1. profile image57

uh...grammar....

Speakin' da langwage

1. profile image57

realy? Den you would no its langwitch

2. habee profile image93

As Ryankett pointed out, Ron, the term isn't always derogatory, especially when used as an adjective.

5. Ralph Deeds profile image66

I don't think "cracker" is quite the equivalent of the N word. It's definitely an insult. He should have said "rednecks."

1. profile image57

et tu Ralph?

2. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
        Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bet'cha he's glad he didn't say redneck...Bet'cha!

Jeff Foxworthy has a copywright on that word.

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image79

Bet'cha he is for a right-big tussle over it...if he plans on keepin' it...I just bet'cha on that!

They could resolve things over chicken-fried steak.

True

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure he meant crackers in crazy, well that is how I view those people...  People of a certain age used that term to refer to crazy people.

Then again, I didn't watch it and I'm not interested in what he has to say anyway smile

2. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Umm, he's said it about Obama too.
    He once said, "I forgot he was black for a minute."

I don't think he realizes what he is doing!!

But--"cracker" is a very racist term. I just found out recently that it refers to slave masters cracking the whip on slaves....which I had not known.
    Very racist and offensive.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, this is merely speculation, LMC.  I cannot believe everyone on here has not read my article about us crackers.  Shakespeare mentioned "craquors," or something similar, which meant "boastful people".  Not meaning me, of course!  smile

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well actually, in the midwest, cracker was always a racist term used on white people...it was just recently I found out what it meant. But we always knew the "intent" of it by the way it was used. There was a lot of racial tension in MI when I was growing up. Understandably so, given the history of this country.
        And Matthews is from Philly, right? I bet he knows too.

Boastful people we always refered to as Nugents. wink

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree the term is used as a slur, LMC.  Just clarifying the origin of the word.  I still like Ritz crackers with peanut butter though!  Nothing will ever change that!  smile

1. habee profile image93

Mmmm...good cracker!

3. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

He'll probably blame it on a trickle running up his leg lol

"tingle"

Trickles tend to run down the leg.

Ha! Tinkle, Tickle...Tingling...!?

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Is it certain Matthews used the word "crackers" to mean poor white southerners?
    Is it possible -- or within the realm of possibility -- that he actually meant "nuts"?

Please do not use male-bashing terms in the forums.

2. Jillian Barclay profile image74
      Jillian Barclayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually listened to that segment of his show- he was not referring to race- he was referring to people being nuts! People my age (and his) have always used that term as meaning nuts or bonkers or a little crazy. The segment had nothing to do with race, but with people talking on the campaign trail about resorting to second amendment remedies, birthers, truthers, the whole group of nuts...

Much ado about nothing!

5. Mighty Mom profile image77

Correction: Is it possible Matthews meant daft, balmy, off their rockers, not all there, not right in the head?

1. profile image57

I think it's possible. I think it's possible he meant "crack pots" While his choice of words is questionable, I agree with his conclusion regarding "birthers"

6. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

"MSNBC's Matthews: Birthers Are Usually Some "Cracker" On The Right"

Watch it. It definately was derogatory...he linked them with the birthers.

1. habee profile image93

Thank you, LMC!

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I don't think that it was intentional racism.

The word 'Crackers' when used as a noun can mean poor white South American people, effectively the white equivalent of 'Niggers'.

But when used as an adjective it can only really mean the equivalent of 'mad' or 'nuts' or 'balmy'. And that is in the US too, not just the UK.

How did he say it exactly? His exact words?

1. profile image57

"intentional racism" do you think he slipped? Let his true feelings come out intentionaly?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, let me rephrase:

"I don't think that he intended in any way to be racist by purposely using that word, seeing as it is a double entendre"

How is that?

1. profile image57

Thanks, you just illustrated my point.

2. bgamall profile image68

Crackers means joker: http://www.crackerscomedy.com/

8. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I thought Cracker was a racial epithet used by George Jefferson. That's what they said on the Chappelle Show anyhow.

9. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Here, Ryankett - listen for yourself. It was used as a noun - "some cracker on the right":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-ttgrzuAE

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

So he did use the term as a noun to be synonymous with "birther."
    It may not be the kindest, most flattering term he could have chosen. But it is not the worst epithet he could have used either.

The problem lies in the fact that "birthers" are not exclusive to the south. Unfortunately, there is no linguistic equivalent of "cracker" for ignorant white persons in northern or western states (whereas we know there are "birthers" outside of the south).

1. habee profile image93

Right, MM - that was part of my point. There are birthers all over the US - not from just the ignorant, inbreeding, white trash South. The descriptors I used are the same ones that are often implied with the term "cracker" to many people. Maybe Matthews didn't realize that. I hope that's the case.

2. profile image57

All birthers are not white.

11. Mighty Mom profile image77

If the birther movement has even .01% people of color in it, I would be surprised.

1. habee profile image93

So would I, which leads me to believe that Matthews knew what he was saying.

2. profile image57

probably true. I was listening to AM radio in New Orleans last year.  There was an black reverend who was VERY anti Obama and definitely a "birther". Before you ask, he described himself as black. Think his name is Coleman.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77

Well, thank God he didn't call them ANIMAL CRACKERS or we'd have a whole nuther community outraged, wouldn't we? lol

http://www.laaker.com/micah/wpcontent/uploads/2008/06/animalcrackerlies1.png

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

Only Chris Matthews knows for sure what he meant by the use of the term "crackers" but his larger point (as is so typical in these kinds of "war of the words" disputes) was that Obama continues to be personally attacked for spurious reasons.
    He was asking if the upcoming Health Care Reform discussion would also be personal against Obama.

1. habee profile image93

And Chris was fueling this crazy birther fire just a week ago, which shocked me. He asked why Obama wouldn't post his long-form birth certificate if he had nothing to hide. I was so surprised that I posted a thread about it here. Maybe if the pundits ignore the birthers, they'll go away. Same with Palin.

1. profile image57

Because birthers, tea partiers and truthers all make handy distractions and or scape goats. They also help ratings on a slow news day.

14. Mighty Mom profile image77

Why should Obama capitulate at this point? He was sworn into office in January 2009 and it is now January 2011.
    The chances of an ineligible candidate for POTUS receiving his party's nomination are extremely remote. The chances of the United States electing and swearing in someone who has not been vetted for their citizenship are even more remote.

If I were Obama, I would ignore the birthers. If I felt so inclined, I might -- MIGHT -- post my long form birth certificate on the very last day of my term. With the caption, "Now will you shut the F@#$ up?"

15. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

I have an uncle who is a birther.....and while his "racial" identity is strongly white....he is Armenian....the son of an Armenian Genocide survivor who was orphaned...

This guy sends around all the nutjob conspiracy chainmails like "Obama Worships in a Mosque"...."Obama is a Muslim Agent"...I have written several hubs in response to this ridiculous right-wing chain-email garbage...

I wouldn't use the term "cracker" on him, or on Orly Taitz...who is an idiot and is deranged...

I, instead, just identify these types as fools...those who like to ferment hate without putting any mind to the consequences of their actions...

Cracked minds indeed....but not crackers..

16. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 13 years ago

Chris Matthews is white right?  And he's calling other white people crackers.  To my way of thinking this is no different than black rappers calling other black folks n*****.  It may be impolite, maybe even pejorative, but it ain't racist.

17. Mighty Mom profile image77

Mikelong,
    Do you think that such conspiracy emails centered on ridiculous personal claims against Obama are telling?
    In the absence of substantive arguments/claims against Obama's performance as POTUS, these right wingers proliferate the only thing they can, ridiculous personal attacks.
    I almost wonder if the fact that the birther and Obama is a Muslim are still so prevalent is actually a GOOD sign?
    If these folks had a legitimate charge they would have brought it forth by now lol!!

18. Mighty Mom profile image77

Very true, William R. Wilson.
    Matthews was not even referring to all white people. He was only referring to a small segment of the (mostly) white population who are birthers. I believe his use of the term "crackers" was a way of identifying the demographic that is most likely to be "birther" which is certainly not ALL white Americans!
    It was also very effective use of language.
    Birthers = crazy right wing whites.

19. Mighty Mom profile image77

I believe you, CJ Wright. Obama did not receive the vote of every Black person in America!
    Without knowing Rev. Coleman's brand of religion (assumed to be some type of Christian) I will say the pulpit is an inappropriate forum for that kind of discussion and his personal views.
    Was the station a "Christian" station perchance?
    Separation of Church & State, anyone?

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO! I am afraid to even answer MM... smile

20. Mighty Mom profile image77

If you know anything about Rev. Coleman or others like him who are preaching Obama hate from their pulpits, I hope you WILL answer, Julie2!
    I certainly don't doubt this kind of thing goes on in churches.
    Not my church, tho!

MM, this is one of the many reasons why I stopped going to church. To much propaganda and not enough love and compassion! sad

1. habee profile image93

My church (when I go) never preaches hate or tells us how to vote or think. It's also very non-judmental, which I really like. For example, back in the late 60s or early 70s, when it was a real no-no to be a pregnant, unmarried teen, we threw a baby shower at the church for such a girl. I think every woman in the church came! The Baptists down the block heard about it and didn't like it one bit. lol

That was really nice of your church to have done. I can only imagine the uproar from the other church... I was born and raised Catholic and they would not allow that in the church I attended back then.

When I got divorced some of the congregation found out. I was on line to receive the Eucharist when an elder from the church comes next to me and tells me that I can no longer receive the Eucharist to get off the line and sit down in a very nasty tone and this "child of God" used words a Catholic Christian should not be using. I said a few words to this person and left. I did not return to that church again.

21. Mighty Mom profile image77

Mmmmmm. Yumm-o!

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/peanut-butter-ritz-sandwiches.jpg

1. habee profile image93

Stop tempting me with all those carbs! Evil liberal!

2. Julie2 profile image60

You're terrible! I had to look in my cabinets to make some for myself, LOL.

22. Mighty Mom profile image77

What? And you didn't bring any to share? That's mean! I have my own peanut butter but no Ritz. Waaah!

1. habee profile image93

I think I have 6 Ritz crackers in the kitchen. So that's two for each of us - MM, Julie, and me?

23. Mighty Mom profile image77

I have some other crackers. I can bring those. And an almost full jar of Jiff plus another full one. Sounds like a party!

As for church, I know that goes on in some churches. Crazy.
    Where in the Bible is there propaganda??? Intolerance? Hatred?

1. habee profile image93

I have some wine and cheese, too!

24. Mighty Mom profile image77

Habee, that is a perfect example! I'm so happy to hear your church exercised compassion and love.
    The ones that I really, really cannot understand is that church that pickets funerals of servicepeople. To me, that is not only unAmerican, but unChristian and despicable. Do they think that makes people listen to them more?

1. habee profile image93

MM, those people are terrible. It's hard to believe that anyone could be so heartless.

25. Mighty Mom profile image77

Oh boy! Now we're REALLY talking party!! Should we invite more hubbers? This is starting to be like the Hub Pages of old!

1. habee profile image93

The more, the merrier!

26. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I'm not aware of whatever event took place except from reading the post here but it is plain how the treatment of other people as effected not only the lives of the victims but for millions of people down the line of life.

I hope that we have learned that evil done here is now doesn't mean it's done forever.

How sad it is that some people still believe that trying to make others look small elevates themselves.

Some people are able to rise above the petty action of others and I take my hat off to them.  I try to do likewise but it does twist my insides still people who can keep from jumping in the mud with others continue to be a role model for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)