Do you think it's wise to marry someone you have never had sex with?

Jump to Last Post 1-47 of 47 discussions (167 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5027718.jpg

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image69
      Darknlovely3436posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you should not, and old saying "never buy a pig in a bag"

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A Pig In A Bag???  big_smile 
        OMG.. In What Century did you hear that one? big_smile

I am sure that exact saying was promoted by witch doctors in the highlands of PNG.  But with pigs being currency.. I don't think that they were allowed to Marry them, irrespective of the pig's sexual experiences smile

2. nycgrl profile image60
      nycgrlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think a better saying than the ones with pigs above is one my friend's mom always says: you wouldn't buy a pair of pants without trying them on first right? I understand that people have their religious beliefs and I fully respect that but I am sorry I could never marry someone I had not slept with beforehand. Talk about a weird and uncomfortable honeymoon. And sex might not be all there is to a relationship but it is a huge part of it and what if you are not sexually compatible? No there are too many obstacles in a marriage, especially now a days, without adding another one.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
        schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

agreed

2. rhondakim profile image71
        rhondakimposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree!

3. ftclick profile image55
      ftclickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope. unless you are both not able to have it due to handicaps and you simply want her or him to get what you have when you die w/o taxes. You've read the stories of old, relic -type rich guys doing that with young firm & perky women.

4. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I’d be extremely apprehensive of the suggestion.   Anyone that advocates abstinence prior to marriage will invariably abstain as much as possible once they get married.  In all probability, they would have a number of inhibitions surrounding the topic of sex. It would be unfortunate to find out you were incompatible on the most basic of levels after the fact.

1. profile image0
        filmchick1987posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I advocate abstinence, but once I'm married, YEE HA!
        So sorry, I don't agree with you on that point.

5. awriter01 profile image60
      awriter01posted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you have spent alot of time with this person like 2yrs. or better and this person grew on you to be more then just a friend.  Not having sex is not the issue.  The issue is can you trust him and did you spend enough time with this person to say I know why I want to marry him to know there aren't any hidden agenders as far as character.  If you have sex or don't have sex before you get married doesn't matter if your heart melts for this person.  If you fell in love  enough to consider marriage before sex then marrying will only enhance your sex life or should.  Being an adult is being open about what turns you on and to do that with your spouse is no better person to start with even if you want to do something freaky everyday or what ever. I teach who I love what I like to do in bed and encourage them to do the same, I also like to try new acts and positions to make the bedroom fresh everyday.  You can have sex with your spouse before you get married you can still lose interest in each other. Its about spending the rest of your lives like you are dating for the first time. Also it's not the size of the boat its how you can rock it.  They have pills for that now so you can't lose either way! Life is what you make it

6. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fresh. smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Life Doesn't Need To Be So Boring:

SO......

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5027757.jpg

3. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 12 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a spin first, let alone bind myself to another human being for life. tongue

wow..yeah what a bummer it would be if they were'nt not only not compatible but weren't willing to learn roll

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

kerryg- if sexual compatibility were the criteria for a suitable companionable marriage, then one needn't marry at all.  Sex doesn't last forever and it certainly is not worth living with someone for 24/7/365.

4. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

How does that Harry Nilsson song go????

♫♪♫ Put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em both together
    Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better. ♫♪♫♪

5. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 12 years ago

Being a Christian, I think it is in your best interest to wait until you are married to have sex, but I know someone who did that, and this person got into the marriage bed and did not know what to do.  Yes it is a sin to have premarital relations, but I also think God loves us no matter our sins, and I think He knows that we as humans would like to practice first, and that way the wedding night will be a success as opposed to a confusion.  So in that sense, it may be healthier to have sex before you officially marry.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

if you take the bible literally, then people that are not virgins when they marry are to be put to death - pretty extreme.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No wonder I feel half dead before my first cup of coffee lol

LOL

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

Religiously, I always felt differently but I feel this makes a lot of sense

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

lovelife08 - getting into bed for the first time, whether married or not, one does not know what to do.  The problem with most marriages is not whether or not sex was experienced pre-marriage, but that people don't really allow themselves to know one another first.

1. lovelife08 profile image60
        lovelife08posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can agree with that.  But either way, if you get married, you want it to be a good wedding night.  I would personally rather not know what I'm doing as a single and learn what to do before I get married, than not know what I'm doing once I'm married.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

Love should make it a good wedding night.  The sex is always good regardless of the standard of measurement when love and respect are the foundation of marriage. 
          Officially marry?  Is that a Christian principle?  If you believe in an Almighty God as you suggest, and you follow Christian principles, you cannot have it both ways.  Forgiveness of sins and love are certainly God's territory but the intentional sin and making one's own rules is throwing your superiority in God's face.  At least from a Christian standpoint.
          Personally, I think whether 'officially' married or not married, sex before friendship and respect is a mistake.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

why you are going to marry anyway, to have s@x??

7. prettydarkhorse profile image61

check first if some of the parts are missing, what if some parts are missing?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or what's worse! Some parts might not be from the original manufacturer! SCARY!!! lol

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dat..

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

Are you two seriously saying, with all the diversity of humanity and marriages, that after market parts should even matter?  Isn't it difficult and rare enough to even find love (assuming that is why one marries) without accusing others of 'not being perfect' in some way?

1. profile image0

It is one thing to be 'not perfect' and another thing to be 'not real' I like my man 100% real. smile

Ok, hope your guy never needs anything added to keep him alive.  You might dump him for a newer model! wink roll

8. prettydarkhorse profile image61

bwahahahahahaa

Having the right parts isnt always a guarantee for the best ride though. lol

Kia Ora Wahine... Nice Blanket smile Kia Kaha  tongue

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

more bwahahahahahahahahaha....agree

3. Donna Suthard profile image60
        Donna Suthardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sexual techniques can be taught by sensitve lovers. There's plenty of knowledge to be sought , in how to books, etc....

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

or in my ebook "1000 Passionate Nights By Greek One"
          Because once you read Greek, you won't sit for a week

1. profile image0

AHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! I'm going to p.... in my pants! THAT'S TOO FUNNY!!!! lol lol lol

pee in your pants is night 874

well, that would be a relief as opposed to all the unknowledgable people
            (did [I} say that?) seriously
            LOL lol

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Marriage and Sex? Not mutually exclusive. lol

10. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I suppose it depends how strongly you are attracted to their personality and physically, I wouldn't be that bothered if they weren't that good in the sack as long as they made me feel happy in other ways.

11. your cybersister profile image61
    your cybersisterposted 12 years ago

I know that many of us raised in the Dark Ages were told that we should wait until we were married before engaging in sex for a myriad of reasons.  One of the reasons that I was given had something to do with no one wanting to buy the package with the torn cellophane wrapper!  Can you imagine using that reason on a teenager today?  Although I can't condone hopping into bed with just anyone, I don't think it's wise to wait until after you are actually married. What if you aren't compatible?  Sex is a big part of most marriages, especially when you are young, although it shouldn't be the only important thing.  My own personal rule was not to go to bed with someone unless I was willing to have his child (with or without him). This narrowed the field way down. Fortunately I didn't wind up pregnant until after I was married.

1. thebrucebeat profile image59
      thebrucebeatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I refused to go to bed with anyone that I wouldn't be happy to be impregnated by either, but that didn't seem to limit my field as much.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been married for 13 years and have three kids, so hot sex is a very dim and distant memory. sad

If only there was a happy medim hmm

12. thebrucebeat profile image59
    thebrucebeatposted 12 years ago

Most people ultimately find it unwise to have sex with each other AFTER they get married.

1. your cybersister profile image61
      your cybersisterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's very sad sad   but possibly true for some,,,

13. Drew Breezzy profile image62
    Drew Breezzyposted 12 years ago

the flesh wants what the flesh wants!

And the flesh is dumb.  It's the spirit which should guide us and ultimately bring us to our enlightenment.  Being married usually hampers this endeavor as two people are rarely in total synchronicity.

14. secularist10 profile image61
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

"Sex is the game; marriage is the penalty!"--Sleuth

Evidently, here in the US anyway, half the time it's not wise to marry someone period, given that half of all marriages end in divorce.

It's such a pity that you are withholding the other half of that statement!

So.... What do half the sexual encounters in the US end in? hmm

@SOH.. good post... I hope the pig can get out of the bag and tell us what it meant to the person who put the damn sack over the pig's head in the first place!! yikes

1. secularist10 profile image61
        secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean that half of all marriages do not end in divorce? Sure, that's implied. But 50% isn't a very good success rate. I believe that will earn you an "F" in most schools, lol.

"What do half the sexual encounters in the US end in?"

Ummm... a cigarette? Lol, I'm not really following here.

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

why does everybody keep saying that since half of U.S. marriages end in divorce, don't even bother. Why not... hey, half the marriages make it..its worth a shot!

about the original question, if its wise or not to marry someone you haven't slept with... if your basing getting married to someone on their bedroom abilities, I would wonder if you should get married at all?

I agree, because I think sex and love are two different things.

Marriage is based on love...

Love isnt always about shooting stars and rolling oceans either.

Often its about care,support,and devotion. That means colicky babies, getting up for work when youv'e had 4hrs sleep. Putting up with each others faults and irritating habits ,warts an all.

When people place too much emphasis on being sexually compatible, they lose sight of other interests of compatibilty and those are the things that make or break a marriage in the end (IMO)..

So if I was compatible and 'clicked' with the other person ,I am secure anough to know the sex would be mere icing on the cake wink

2. myi4u profile image61
        myi4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! Marriage is like forever although many may not agree nowadays. Sex only plays a small part in marriage. So, what if your partner is not able to have sex with you due to some circumstances? Divorce him/her? In that case, you are not in a marriage. What you want is just sex and sex.

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

I just did an article on Divorce Care....what bs it must be to deal w/ divorce hmm

15. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...define sex....

16. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 12 years ago

Pre-marital sex is a must for me. I am sorry many may not agree! tongue

I agree...

It's post-marital sex I'm not sure about smile

1. Julie2 profile image59
        Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

AHAHA, Greek you are too funny but soo true. I knew I would get some mud slung at me below... Whatever. It's like with everything else you want in your life, you have to try it to see if you'll like it. I have my own morals and values and I was raised in my families religion but the last decision is mine to make no one else's. I am not going to wait til the day of my honeymoon to find out that my husband is a poor lover. Alot of marriages fail because of this. Marriage isn't only about communication and Religion, having that physical connection is a major as well if not they end up in divorce and affairs if everything doesn't click.

no slinging.. i agree with you..

and I didn't touch anything of yours below.. i am a happily married man tongue

I didn't mean you silly, it was what I read below you! lol
            Oh my goodness, you are terrible. Who said you were touching?! tongue

... the police often accuse my of such crimes....

and are deaf to the fact that I paid the ladies well!

AHAHA, Wow John! tongue

nah, they were just 'tips'

big_smile

I was told..."If you're both true Christians....then you LEARN to love each other in .......
          whichever way, however, however long it takes.......
          Hmmmmm I know a guy friend who kisses like a fish who married a girl -both virgins- who prob just lies there, and they pray first....iDK
          OMG.........

2. C.V.Rajan profile image58
        C.V.Rajanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

17. Y. Kajitaka profile image61
    Y. Kajitakaposted 12 years ago

...  I'm sorry, Christian here.  If a man, even one I loved with all my heart, tried to get me into bed before I was married, I swear I'd clock him and run.  Permanently.  Not having sex with -anyone- before getting married isn't just for health's sake- it's a courtesy, a form of respect.  You'll never have to worry, and you will be able to have complete faith in your partner if they have done the same.

1. profile image0

And what if they were a christian that lost their virginity before becoming a christian?

1. Y. Kajitaka profile image61
        Y. Kajitakaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All sins committed before accepting Christ are forgotten.  Once we repent and ask for forgiveness, even after being saved, God literally "forgets" that we ever did anything.  It's the ultimate in forgiveness.  Afterwards, it is up to us to follow the path he has set out for us with his commandments.

1. profile image0

guess people can just do it & ask for god's forgiveness afterwards?

So you'd be okay marrying a solo parent?  If you fell in love with a christian, and they confessed they were not a virgin, would you give them the flick?

that's the bs I've put up w/...

1. profile image0

what part specifically?

Holyrollers who are prejudiced against those who are not

1. profile image0

plenty of those about

Right.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My ex's mother took that view.  She was a devout Christian, and she dumped every man who even hinted at sex before marriage. Finally, she married the one who never pressured her.

A few years later, he was cashiered out of the military for relations with a cadet.  Then he sexually abused his only son.

I have a friend who also held out for a man who was willing to wait.  On their wedding night, he confessed he was gay.  She was Catholic and wasn't willing to divorce, even though the marriage was never consummated.  She stuck by him for years and finally, nursed him until his death from AIDS.

I will never forget one of my staff members, who got drunk one night and confessed to me that she and her husband hadn't had sex for 20 years.  As soon as their second child was born, he announced that their family was complete so there was no need for him to have sex with a woman any more. 

The sexual appetite is very strong in all men, even devout ones.  If a man truly loves you, he will respect your desire to wait - but a normal heterosexual man will find it a struggle to restrain himself.  If waiting seems to be no effort for him, be suspicious.

1. profile image0

I've observed a high rate of affairs & divorces in church circles too.

1. profile image0

and unplanned pregnancies. Abstinence as birth control has a huge failure rate

Well, there are reasons for that.  Most of them are because of the apostasy: the falling away.  People are more concerned about what is on their outside than in their hearts.  There's a difference in Christians that can easily be spotted: do they have religion, or a relationship?  The ones who lose themselves over to those things for a large part are the ones who only want their religion there as a feel-good and a pretty accessory.  The ones who truly have a relationship with God will make mistakes, but they repent and choose not to do them again instead of continuing to indulge.  The fundamental difference is something you have to keep in mind when looking at "Christians."

1. profile image0

most of them from apostasy?  I knew several teens that got pregnant - there was a big scandal in the church each time with family shame etc.  I even knew of a secret abortion.  They got pregnant because they got caught up in the heat of the moment, and their parents had just said not to have sex, but they had no protection etc.  Then there are the technical virgins - those that do everything but intercourse.  Then there's those that are married while teenagers - so they can have sex and keep in line with their christian faith

As long as they're married, I have no objections.  As far as the "technical virgin" thing, that's a load of bull.  I don't care what excuses they want to come up with, the Bible says its wrong and they're trying to screw with it.  No matter how much they wriggle or writhe or pick at things, they're wrong.  T_T

1. profile image0

just pointing out what I observed in christian circles

2. Donna Suthard profile image60

I believe I read in the bible once, that if your planning to marry each other, it was acceptable to have sex with each other, f you couldn't wait and besides it was always acceptable for men to have many wives, concubines and slave girls in the old testament but the rules were different for women.

1. profile image0

the bible was written by men

3. Pearldiver profile image67

That's an interesting statement to make about health!
      Just exactly In WHAT WAY are you referring to?
      I think in all Honestly, if some girls thought like you in regards to a guy wanting 'to get them into bed' as you put it... then they would also have to also consider themselves Very Lucky! big_smile

Health, as in I don't have to worry about diseases, trauma, heartbreak, pregnancy and all the possible etc.  I am convinced that no man that wishy-washy in the very basics or morals believes the same things I do.  Believing the same things I do is crucial to me, because I refuse to have a house torn down the middle by religious differences.  Even if attention is flattering, when I'm considering him as a life partner I don't want to have to wonder "Okay, how many chicks has he come on to like this?"  I've seen enough engagements made and broken to last me a lifetime, thanks.  I'm not trusting "engagement" or "promise" as enough to get into bed however much I love him.

4. your cybersister profile image61

I only wish that the last part of your statement were actually true.  I think the odds may be lower for cheating under these circumstances, but don't think that virgin + virgin = faithfulness whether you are a Christian or not.  I respect your feelings and agree with some of your reasons,but there is no one formula for guaranteed fidelity.

That's true.  I'm not denying that.  But there is a higher level of trust there; a "first," when you really cherish it, makes a huge impact on you when you actually give it to someone.  Whenever we involve someone else in something, it always becomes a gamble; but the chances of "winning" are always higher with that formula, at the very least.  ^^

I tend to agree with you that a person who remained a virgin until marriage probably does place a higher value on the significance of sharing themself with another in such a personal way.  This may be a deterent to some of the impulsive behaviors that lead to infidelity which could tilt the odds in favor of remaining faithful, but if you, after marriage, find that you and your spouse are just not sexually compatible (which you had no way of knowing previously) that could affect your marriage negatively.  Once a person is unhappy, the grass on the other side sometimes starts to look greener, and they start to wonder "what if"...

On the flip side, very often people who have  had sexual experience prior to marriage are still able to be faithful once they are with someone they truly belong with.  Very often affairs have little to do with sex - rather there is are other issues in the relationship that lead to discontent.  My husband and I have a very high level of trust and we have both been married previously.  One of the very reasons for us to stay true to each other is that we know first hand the pain caused by infidelity and divorce.  That's a powerful motivator for us to be faithful.

Well, however you slice it, it still goes against what I believe.  I won't rail on you because you believe differently, just so long as you don't try and say you believe in the same God I believe in.  If you don't believe in my God, I can't expect you to follow the same rules.  But God says that both fornication and adultery are against the law, and when we make the vow "til death do us part" he's serious about it.  Divorced or not, in God's books sleeping with anyone else would be seen as adultery.  I hold to these beliefs, but I'm not saying anyone else has to.

Okay.  Let's just agree to disagree - no hard feelings. smile

5. secularist10 profile image61

Kajitaka, you forget about the many health benefits of sex, which these virginal people deny themselves year after year.

Virginity is associated with "respect" only because of certain assumptions and stereotypes in certain cultural communities. Get rid of those assumptions, and suddenly sex is just another activity like any other. No big deal.

Much of this discussion is moot in the United States anyway, since over 90% of all Americans have sex outside of marriage, mostly before marriage. The emphasis on virginity is just a colossal exercise in futility for no actual purpose.

Says you, hon.  And any health benefit you might mention is the same thing one can receive from exercise.  I won't continue to haggle with you about this, because even your name states that you'd be a thorn in my side.  T_T

Nope, not just exercise. Says me? I didn't tell almost all of America to have premarital sex, sweetie!

It's time for everyone to wake up and smell the condoms.

Continue to haggle with me? We haven't even gotten started, lol!

2. Julie2 profile image59

I was of legal age as they say when I lost my virginity and I was madly inlove with my first. It was very special to me, thats why I waited so long, it felt right for me to share that part of myself for the first time with him. I am just so thankful that we weren't married because when he became abusive I was able to just walk away and not have to deal with the law.

would you like him maimed?

Nah... It was a learning experience, a poor way to learn something but I did.

2. secularist10 profile image61

This story is a good example of when people put so much pressure on sex, and weight it down with so many expectations, it often results in distress and pain. Sex is not love, it is just an animal act. Thinking that it is more than that will always lead to problems because sex can never live up to those expectations.

18. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I think it's rather naive not to try out a partner first, but that being said, I sometimes think it would be kinda neat if hubby nor I had ever "been with" anyone else.

Sex is soooo important when you're younger, so you need to be sure you're compatible physically. When you get a little older, you find that other things are just as important. That's been my experience, anyway.

Habee that was a fantasy of mine as well so we just play it out! tongue

19. profile image0
    tylergeeposted 12 years ago

I think you should know your partner not just emotionally and mentally, but physically as well. That doesn't necessarily mean to try everything in that sense before marriage, but just to know them further. Love isn't all about sex.

20. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

No surprise that I have a different view on this?  Historically in many places it was normal to prove that the couple could get pregnant first, then marry.  Then the church got involved and decided to make sex a sin (out of pure spite apparently) - this led to all the deep repression and weirdness surrounding sex.

But sex being in the forefront of the western brain and continually stimulated by the media - pornography piddling out of every media orifice etc., is a new situation and like the response of total abandonment that came with the collapse of christianity, an appropriate response to today's rampant visual sexuality would be to return to some value and responsibility by reserving sex for engagement at least.  The current situation displays more than a whiff of the whore and paying client about it, with little value and much harm to relationships generally.

I don't support any moral value judgement - but I do think the current sexual situation displays some degrading of both parties and everyone associated with them.

21. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

My wife and I waited and everything's been good for seven years so far. Yes it is a dooable thing, a sucessful relationship begins with compatible core values.

22. Disturbia profile image62
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I think it depends on the person and the relationship.  There is a lot more to marriage than sex, and sex isn't as important to some as it is to others.  I think it should certainly be discussed but if you want to wait till after marriage, by all means wait.  But if the one you're with can't respect that, you're with the wrong one.

23. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

If you are going to wait until marriage, PLEASE make sure you have a 3rd party check out any suspicious bulges first!!

http://larryflynt.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/0809_anncoulter.jpg

I didn't understand why you put the pic until I kept looking at it and =BAM= figured it out! big_smile

pops up and hits you in the face after a while....

kinda like what happens when making love

24. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 12 years ago

Yes, I'll be the first to admit I am a sinner. I am not nor have I ever claimed to be a Saint. The only one I have hurt with my actions is myself.

1. Donna Suthard profile image60

You are not a sinner,  we learn life through our lessons in life.. Your past is always gone, and you are always innocent...

big_smile

25. Greek One profile image64

My wife was a virgin when we got married.

The great thing about that is, she has no idea how bad my performance in bed really is.

I've convinced her that it is natural for her to want to fall asleep during love making.

Does she watch infomercials during as well?
      I just saw this Greek One, you are just to much! big_smile

26. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 12 years ago

The world is full of fornicators. You're free to join them

I was very glad I waited. My husband is perfect for me. We'll always be together.

Don't give him anything to bring up and accuse you of.
    Being only his and waiting for marriage will cause him to respect you.

Personally, I respect all women. I don't care if you have had one sex partner or 1,000.

1. profile image0

I'd be put off someone that's slept with numerous partners

That's a legitimate personal preference about the kind of person one wants to be with.

What is not legitimate is "respecting" someone as a person based solely on their private sexual choices. A man should respect or not respect a woman based on her personality, honesty, accomplishments, intelligence and goals. The harmless activities she takes pleasure in are irrelevant when it comes to "respect."

I have a hell of a lot more respect for a woman who might have fucked 100 men in her life, while building a successful business, contributing to medical research and establishing a charity than some "pure" woman with no work ethic and no drive who marries her prom date and works as a waitress for the rest of her life.

I suppose my priorities are a little different than other people's.

1. profile image0

I can't imagine someone with a track record of 100s of sexual partners would want to settle
            I'd also be suspicious of a 40-year-old virgin

@ secularist10

Im assuming you mean you respect her business drive and work ethics? since I dont believe you need to be smart to f***k a 100 men (or women)  lol

What I'm saying is that everybody should respect people based on things that matter. Sex doesn't matter, therefore it should not factor into the respect equation.

I hear what your saying secularist10. I wouldn't care up to maybe 200 and as long as the person was disease free and wasn't going to die on me anytime soon... smile
                  and also truly did love me and only me.
                  Gene Simmons supposedly had 4000+ and his wife Shannon Tweed loves him to death! So it goes without sayin' big_smile

1. profile image0

were these 4000 women all before he married?

2. secularist10 profile image61

Most men and women would prefer multiple partners, in the absence of various social and cultural conditioning. Maybe not dozens, but at least a few.  That is pretty much universal. It's an adaptation to give our genes the best shot possible at making it into the next generation.

Yes, sex and love must be separated. One can have sex without love, and love without sex. Confusing the two always seems to cause problems. Gene Simmons' secret to success with women can be summed up: rock star + the tongue. smile

27. Greek One profile image64

yeah, when you start getting over the 950 partner mark, I'll still respect you, but I won't touch you without latex gloves on

28. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 12 years ago

well, you can tell if sex is good if the kiss tastes good and you laugh with abandon.

sex is just a portrait of the relationship and the mingling of compatible chemicals.
    If he smells bad, don't marry him.sex will be bad too. If he tastes bad, don't marry him. Life with him will be bad too. If he's not funny...sex will be boring.

so yes, you can marry someone you have never had sex with. Sex is a mirror of couple's relationship. When the relationship is bad and the sex is good, it is actually the kind of relationship you are looking for. When the relationship is good and the sex is bad. You are actually not honest with yourself.

WOW! That was rather interesting Cecilia. I really like that.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
        ceciliabeltranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it? I thought so too!

"Sex is the mirror of a couple's relationship" that is the line I like the best. It is so F'ing true! Excuse the french...smile

29. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

This is another thread I want to die.

30. SaMcNutt profile image60
    SaMcNuttposted 12 years ago

Honestly, the best part was waiting for the honeymoon. I think its like a gift you are waiting to give each other. If you meet and marry the person you want to be with for the res of your life then everything else falls into place.

In a society that wants everything available to them immediately there is nothing left worth waiting for. More people I know seem unhappy because there is nothing left to surprise them.

I guess I look at it a little different, but then again I love surprises. Part of the joy of living for me.

what if it... you know... didn't fit

..lol...Oh there are ways

1. SaMcNutt profile image60
          SaMcNuttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, if it the right person then there is nothing left to worry about. BTW, I will be married for 15 years this August. C'est la joie de vie!

You have a great attitude and your warmth and confidence shine through.
            Refreshing and congratulations on your marriage smile

Thank you. I am a pretty possitive person, but also I am happiest when I think about being grateful for what I have, rather than thinking about what I do not have. I hope others may find the same.

Stay happy and enjoy life.

I have to embrace that way of thinking myself SaMcNutt, it would help me a great deal with getting out of my funk...

Turn the funk into something funky.

But seriously, I am sorry to hear you are in a funk. If it helps, tomorrow when you see the sun shine for the first time say "I am so grateful for the day." It sure can change outlook when your start in the frame of mind that is grateful for they day. Something I really am reminding myself to do as well. Thank you for the reminder, we all need to be reminded of that fact.

I am truly grateful for your comment too. Thank you.

Thank you, that is a good affirmation and you're welcomed and Congrats to you and your hubby...

2. profile image0

some one wrote a hub about tiny women having this problem

31. spotlight19 profile image46
    spotlight19posted 12 years ago

It does not sound that bad unless if one of you have slept with someone else then yeah it is a problem.

32. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

A buddy asked me if I talk to my wife[now ex]after sex.I said"Sure,if there's a phone handy"!
    I over heard to women talking about sex.The first asked"Do you smoke after sex"?Her friend replied"I don't know,I never looked"!When I was married,my wife always made me ask if I could do some"Laundry"[a code word]rather than "Sex" so our kids wouldn't know.Late one night she asked me if I had any"Laundry"to do.I said"Not any more,It was a small load so I did it buy Hand"!
    "It's not the Size of the ship,it's the motion of the ocean"...Ya,but you wouldn't go out in hurricane if all you had was a Canoe either...hmmm
    "A pessimist thinks All women are Bad!An optimist Hopes they Are"!...which are you?HA!

33. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 12 years ago

What if on the wedding night they crawl in bed and when she excites him "fully." she says OMG! It's so tiny! ...Who are ya gonna satisfy with that?
    ....and he replies;.....ME!!!!
    Oh, Oh......!!!
    Now what?  Hmmmm?  hmm
    Qwark

34. rhondakim profile image71
    rhondakimposted 12 years ago

N-O spells NO!!!  Of course not.  What if the person is horrible in bed?!  Now of course hopefully you can "rehabilitate" them, but wouldn't you rather iron all that out before making a lifetime commitment?

You can teach someone to be a carpenter as long as they have the proper tools! yikestonguesmile

35. jessicab profile image60
    jessicabposted 12 years ago

If that happens you will be in for a surprise.

36. Extinct Soul profile image60
    Extinct Soulposted 12 years ago

smile wise?
    I find this question kinda funny. If the standard of finding someone to marry would be based on one's satisfaction with someone in bed, then we should be printing out free taste ticket rather that business cards.

If I am an 18 yr old male, that would be a heaven on earth for me. But I don't think that's a good thing for girls. I imagine myself sending out free ticket taste to the good looking boys in the world. And before I knew it, I'm already one of the bad fruit nobody wants to buy and that was not so wise at all.

37. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Kiss the frog first or you may find that the princess you were expecting is really a prince! (or visa versa)...

Try before you buy as they say - even better buy one take one??? lol

AHAHA, thats a good one LeanMan

38. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 12 years ago

I had it only after my marriage and my wife is the only girl I have had it with.
    I do not regret it one bit.

I was not even a true christian at the time.

1. Extinct Soul profile image60
      Extinct Soulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://www.en.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC_you_rock.gif

1. ComfortB profile image85
        ComfortBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I'm talking about.

39. ketchup101 profile image61
    ketchup101posted 12 years ago

As a Christian, for me, you should marry first before having sex. For me it's a sacred thing, so you need permission and blessings first before you do it.

40. profile image0
    filmchick1987posted 12 years ago

My question is, what matters more to you? Having a best friend for life, or a sex friend for life? Coz after a few months,  sex ain't going to keep your marriage going, but a good friendship and understanding will. Best to focus on that before marriage, rather than whether they are good in bed or not. smile

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree.  Plus if your partner is bad in the sack, then you know what they say about practice makes perfect. wink  lollollol

1. profile image0
        filmchick1987posted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha good point!

41. bigbird31 profile image59
    bigbird31posted 12 years ago

I think that since we are a sexual species (male, female), sex is extremely important in a relationship. I think that most men have a healthy sex drive (and women I hope) and will agree that they plan on having sex with whoever they marry a lot and till the day they die. Hell, if it weren't for the sex, I don't know if I would even be interested in women at all. It's just the way most men are programmed. I'm not gay or anything, but besides the sex, there isn't really anything else I would want in a woman. If there were literally no such thing as sex, therefore no sex drive, I would probably be with a man, and this is coming from a guy who is constantly aroused and interested in the female form. The only thing I dislike is men and women who will have sex with anything, or not even that, but have low standards. I honestly can't have sex with someone unless I'm crazy about them.

42. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I think if you are truly in love with someone, then whether you have had sex or not before marriage should not be an issue.  Unless, someone believes that it is impossible to love someone with whom sex isn't very good.  A relationship should be about more than sex, and waiting until marriage would surely be a good thing. It makes it that much more special.  Not that there is anything wrong with sex before marriage, but if that is all a relationship is based upon, then it probably won't last.

43. puddingicecream profile image69
    puddingicecreamposted 12 years ago

It's wise only if your relationship will be based on sex. If not, then it shouldn't really be a problem. You can always work it out.

44. lizzieBoo profile image60
    lizzieBooposted 12 years ago

Another tyranny of the modern age is the common misapprehension that other people are having better sex then you. It doesn't seem to matter what age, race or creed you are, nor whether you have been given the title of Mr Universe and have a certificate to prove your unmatched prowess, there will still be the niggling suspicion that someone, somewhere is lighting up the bedroom like it's new-year's eve 1999. We all like to convince ourselves that sex, like sport, can be improved if only we'd put in the time and energy. This works a treat for the magazine industry, perfume manufacturers, clothing labels, keep-fit clubs, record labels and so forth, who can all sell you a promise that they are the missing ingredient to your sexual salvation. None of them want to tell you the beautiful and mysterious truth, (why would they) that  you should find someone you love, respect and honor, commit to them and spend the rest of your life getting good at it.
    What is the alternative? You find someone you love but ditch them when the sex is a bit crap? Then find someone else and discover the same thing? How many times is it ok to do that? Plus, you are setting a condition upon marriage which is that the sex had better be good or else.
    Sex is not a competitive sport. Sex should not be a condition of love.

45. Rage For Love profile image60
    Rage For Loveposted 12 years ago

There is no right or wrong answer to this - this is one of those things that only the individual can decide, it's a matter of traditions, belief, etc...

46. 4tune profile image60
    4tuneposted 12 years ago

You know at one time I would have said no - But NOW for love yes I could really could do that, after all I have been celibate waiting for the right guy before having sex for almost years - "So if he wanted to wait yes I would,But maybe a chance I would rape him at this point.

But NO it would not be the end of the world for me if sex was not fireworks, They make such great toys these days there really is no reason any woman needs to depend on just him for a climax anyhow.

47. wheelinallover profile image76
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

The best recommendation you gave yourself. It depends on you!!!
    You ultimately have to live with whatever decision you make.

My personal experience covered both and each was right at the time. For both of the women it was a second marriage. With one we agreed that religion and faith rule the day. I have only one regret with that one and it has nothing to to with making love. My regret was the inability to let her know how much I loved her before she died. She truly was the love of my life. Both in bed and out.

The second was consummated before marriage. We were both experienced and had been without for too long. Both being Christians we paid a high price for our actions, we were shunned by our fellowship until we were married. We were also told that if we didn't show up to be shunned we would be excommunicated. This breaking of the rules, the punishment, and the true forgiveness shown by the members of the fellowship, made my faith stronger so it ended up being a good thing for me in this situation.

Ultimately the decision is yours, so let it be yours, don't let yourself be lead into anything you don't feel ready for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)