Are women only happy if they are arguing?

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (72 posts)
  1. r-l-bean profile image60
    r-l-beanposted 13 years ago

It seems to me that the only time a woman is happy is if she has something to complain about. If there is nothing to complain or argue about, the relationship is bad, what's up with that?

1. profile image49
      ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find that attitude dismissive, misogynistic, and offensive.

There's also shopping.

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say that your perception/perspective of women is skewed. lol lol lol

1. katiem2 profile image60
        katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol big_smile right on Cagsil right on!

3. profile image52
      lovepsychic161posted 13 years agoin reply to this

women aren't "happy" when they argue. they are biologically inclined to express themselves openly. it's a misconception to say that.

1. mecheil profile image60
        mecheilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and just as there are women who are biologically inclined to express themselves openly, there are those who prefer to simply shut up. they will talk only after thinking things over. the problem with the latter is that men wouldn't have a single clue of what's on their mind.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Blanket- and Demeaning- Generalization About Women Alert!!!

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz303/maxicracker/ALERT.gif

r-l-beanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, point taken. The question is open-ended, not opinionated. The opinion below it is just that, an opinion. I will say that I do allow everyone a clean file in my head, its the least I can do.

5. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some women, yes. They need to control everything that's going on, maybe they feel worthless otherwise. Or maybe they're just control freaks.
      I've met a lot of women like that but I sure don't understand their need to run every detail of someone else's life. Maybe it comes from having kids? Does she (the specific one/s you're talking about)? Because then a woman DOES have to control every little facet of someone's life for years and it can get carried over to adults.

Okay, no, a child doesn't need everything controlled but relative to adults, yes. A mother has to be constantly aware of everything and it can get to be a habit.

Then some women just like to be that way.

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I would call that happiness..

7. smcopywrite profile image60
      smcopywriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are either the wrong man or havent met the right woman. are many ever happy or simply when they are holding the remote?

8. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, I enjoy living in the positive aspects of life, there is no room for complaining it gets you no where. 

People who complain are generally not happy and maybe trying to get rid of you by all the complaining.

As a rule happy well adjusted people don't complain...

Could not have said it better myself.

9. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They seem happy when they are filling their faces with some sort of food too.

10. lovelife08 profile image61
      lovelife08posted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I don't think argueing is a way of being happy, I do find it a good way to vent my feelings.  I like to playfully argue, because it's fun.  If I actually argue...it is probably because I want my view known and understood by the other party.  I hope that helps...

2. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I know people like that and they aren't all women either.  Some folks just like to argue. They live for the drama. Personally, I don't like to argue about anything.  Nothing is that important to me anymore.  That's not to say that I don't have a temper and if you poke just the right stick at me, I'll not only bite at it, I'll bite your hand off along with it.  But I certainly won't waste my time and argue about with you, that's for sure.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

No Sir, I am not happy arguing with anybody. Women are different just like men are.

If you are in a relationship and the woman keeps on complaining, sit down and talk to her. If she is like that ever since then it is time for you to evaluate whether she will change, whether you can put up with it or no.

Give her some TLC - tender loving care.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

if you cannot argue, then don't. Everybody is arguing about everything, that's how we establish our beliefs and priorities. And they are different to different people.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And  don't marry a woman who is smarter than you! big_smile

5. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

No, but we will ALWAYS try to get in the last word- it's in our wiring!

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Well duh.
    You can't have make-up sex without arguing first lol!!!

Good point, never thought about that.

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

..at the OP....What????...who've you been hangin' out with?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Got it in one Someway! smile

But then... don't forget that a lot of women are very good judges of character smile

Possibly, it is his 'hanging out' that is his problem? hmm

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

....hey PD!  big_smile.......

8. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

It seems to me that the only time a woman is happy is if she has something to complain about

Really?
    Are you meaning all women or just your woman?

Because if its your women, I think you need to be asking her.

9. profile image54
    sonyanavarreteposted 13 years ago

i don't think its that they have to argue to be happy, but we are happy to argue. its comforting to have someone who loves you there. even if you argue from time to time, we know we have someone who loves us back to argue with

Arguing is communication and it does establish likes/dislikes, but c'mon women say men are like kids then you have to consider we run from a scolding just the same. (Sometimes)

10. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 13 years ago

Not married I am not sure about that kind of arguing. But, at work my best friend, she and I argue playfully all the time. It is a hidden, secret code too. We can communicate when others have their noses where they don't belong on any subject - personal stuff or work related or even discussing who is the better ball club the Padres or Dodgers , , ,

11. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

difficult question to answer.  Can you elaborate for us a little

12. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Sad that you only met such women...but I thought it take two to argue LOL

13. TerryGl profile image56
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

I think the greatest person alive put it into song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILJxICUIbCY

14. Meridian.1960 profile image61
    Meridian.1960posted 13 years ago

Here's a thought, A woman's happiness is based on the man she is with.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
      dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And what about women who are single or gay? Do they just not have emotions?

1. Meridian.1960 profile image61
        Meridian.1960posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My appologies, I was coming from a married mans perspective.

Would it have been more PC to say "person" thier with?

If a woman did not have emotions it would be a pretty boring world smile

2. r-l-bean profile image60
      r-l-beanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Meridian I doubt that. I've seen single women and women with terrible men who say they're happy or simply appear to be and when I ask them, the answer has always been the same, "If I don't like it, I'll just change it." I actually adopted that years ago.

15. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

That is a shameful post!

It is also dead wrong!

Women are NEVER happy

16. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

So what? Generalizations CAN be made about people like:

Women are more emotional
    Men are simple creatures
    Women are nurturing
    Men are more aggressive

Of course there are exceptions but some things are true IN GENERAL. Why has pretending to be figuratively blind been elevated to a high ethical and moral standard?

I disagree though that women are the arguers, I know too many men who argue even when you agree with them. Women as complainers, yes.

r-l-beanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, maybe I should have said complain rather than argue. I guess the complaining always lead to an argument or a higher level of "pisstivity".

17. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

You said it right... "a woman" aka the woman you are/were with. You dont need me to tell you that there are many happy free spirited women out there who do communicate with maturity, love and respect.

18. 34th Bomb Group profile image60
    34th Bomb Groupposted 13 years ago

This "theory" is just plain ridiculous. It's something men say to themselves to justify their bad behavior.
    Ever been in the locker room of your local Country Club? Men do exactly the same thing - they just keep it quiet 'cause they're big, strong men. uh huh.

19. kmackey32 profile image66
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I like to crack jokes... gees I hate arguing....

20. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

How come it is that a person gets things in their head to be a certain way, then when another gives their perspective or suggestion it is taken as if you are telling them what to do?  Then an argument is formed?  Why?  I think it is because much of the time a person can have a predetermined idea in their head, and only want to hear things that support what is on the mind at the time.  Accepting any other thought, not supporting their's will throws them off course!  Not wanting to take the time to really think about what was purposed?  Telling people, rather than truly asking an opinion or view can always start an argument.  Anyway, I am one who does not like to argue! Can't stand it when I am pulled into an argument with my spouse, not the way I want to start my day.  (why is it that arguments, seem to get started in the mornings?)

21. worldssweetest profile image58
    worldssweetestposted 13 years ago

The reason why is because many many people do not want to be proved wrong, and do not want to have to apologize for the actions or reactions to something said. People these days compared to the 80' and 90's, where it was only the right thing to do is to apologize. One that can say they were wrong is very important.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image61
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well observing how brutal women can be on the internet with relationships with men, I don't think they are happy, but they sure no how to tear a man apart, and than wonder why they are not loved. I've watched enough women cut throat people in general, and its a pretty ugly scene. I don't believe any of them are aware of it, they probably don't even think about it. Most of the time if a women is arguing she is either trying to express herself, frustrated, or playing the victim, but not realising she is doing so. She is not happy, or else she would not be arguing. It is basically finding her own self worth, learning to love herself, being independent, and not needy depending on other people to meet her emotional and spiritual needs. They can change if they choose too, if they don't that is their choice as well. Happiness only comes when you can be honest and truthful with yourself, facing the ugliness in yourself and shedding it from your life, and becoming the true beauty that you are.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

..And men would never do that roll

22. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I'm afraid this thread has left a sour taste in my mouth.  Much of the comments are sexist and thoughtless.  Many women are kind, tolerant, and peaceful people.

Well lorlie6 I would have believed that till I spent three years on Secondlife watching endless women being the way they are, not all women of course but the majority of them, I would say I've met about over 300-500 women a year on secondlife, interacting in relationships, and of course men on the other hand have their issues as well. I don't say that without experience of watching them interact and watching people argue and fight, bicker, and tear each other part the same way they do on hubpages, as well as any other social network site. I've witnessed enough times on different sites. So I don't say that out of my own opinion and beliefs, just watch it happening all the time.

23. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

I am looking for a woman that can put up a good argument. If a woman is arguing all the time must be she is living with an idiot.

24. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Wow!  Can you say: Sexist remark?

Yeah I would agree with Bobbi on that one! Knolyourself, think that one through a little bit. Don't need to insult others for being in bad situations. Can you really say you are the perfect material in society that never insults anyone, or ever been in a bad relationship, perhaps if we called up an ex partner of yours what would they say. We've all been in bad and good relationships.

2. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

? hmm

25. knolyourself profile image60

" Can you really say you are the perfect material in society that never insults anyone, or ever been in a bad relationship, perhaps if we called up an ex partner of yours what would they say. We've all been in bad and good relationships."
    My you can make assumptions. Yes you could call up any of my past relationships. I have never had a bad one. And I am still on best of terms and we still love each other.
    However people do sometimes need to go their separate ways for development sake.

1. lorlie6 profile image72

Beautifully put, knolyourself!  Many years ago I married and had a son; 2 years later we divorced.  We had lots of growing up to do.
      10 years-and lots of relationships-later, we re-married and are still together!
      Who'da thunk? smile

2. HattieMattieMae profile image61

Yeah I can agree with that too, as I have done the same, but calling someone an idiot due to they may just be in a bad situation learning their lessons as we all do, is just not really the answer. We are all learning, and growing so Insulting another person without being in their situation or story is just not constructive.

26. knolyourself profile image60

"10 years-and lots of relationships-later, we re-married and are still together!"
    That's the hard way. But now you know you got something great. Happy you.

1. lorlie6 profile image72

I really am, knolyourself.  He is, too-I think...smile  Amazing thing is he's 13 years younger than I.  Woo-Hoo!!

27. knolyourself profile image60

"but calling someone an idiot"
    It was a generalizations. It didn't have a name on it. I am an idiot and I am proud of it. Being perfect is so boring.

28. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

It seems to me that the only time a man is happy is if he's drunk and needs someone to beat the crap out of.  If there is no reason to get drunk or abusive, the relationship is bad, what's up with that?

1. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something I've noticed is that on TV, men are always drinking. My son actually wrote to the station that shows MythBusters (Discover channel I think) to complain that the guys always talked about getting drunk, drinking, then every commercial was for some sort of beer or other alcohol. (Except for the one commercial thrown in every once in a while telling us we should be shocked that kids in middle and high school drink frequently - oh me, oh my, who'd have thought?)
      Of course, people do drink, a lot apparently, but it seems it's pushed. I'm making a conspiracy theory that drinking is pushed so America will be a nation of brain-damaged, low-judgment individuals that will pay lots of money to maintain themselves in their addiction and then will pay lots of money in health care to keep them going long enough to make doctors rich before they finally die.

29. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Then something I remember from long ago, when I was a kid. I found these romance novels that had been written in the 50s maybe. They were appalling! Not the fact that they were romance novels, I was a preteen and young teen; it was their depiction of men and especially of women! The men were always gruff, domineering, rough and abusive. The books would read, "...he growled," and "...he ground out harshly," or he was manhandling the woman in "...a punishing grip."

Then the women, OMG, they were always, without fail: stumbling, gasping, stammering, trembling, and "knowing better than to argue with him when he got that look in his eye." What did these pathetic reps of 'delightful femininity' do about these men when they were in their lives? Hit them over the head with a metal rod? Turn them in to police? No, they freaking MARRIED THEM because they were "real men"! I asked my mother if men really were taught to be like that when she was growing up but she didn't think so. But her family was kind of like that.

30. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 12 years ago

Why do people write these things? The books and scripts that present life at...I don't even know how to phrase it. If a whole generation of children was raised with books and shows that had everyone acting decently, what would it be like? I wonder how much it would shape them. Or were these things written because that's how people are and that's what writers knew (know) to write? They want to make sales of course.

31. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I honestly don't think anyone likes arguing.  However, I have been told by both women and men in the past (apparently people always assume that I need advice on relationships even though I NEVER ask them for any), that apparently arguing is allegedly good for the relationship.  Why?  Because according to their logic, it allows the two lovers to vent out their frustration rather than keeping it bottled up inside, so the relationship can continue to evolve. 

However, I don't really buy into it, as one could say that just...I don't know...call me crazy here...that just merely...TALKING to your lover would probably accomplish the same thing.  At least, logic would dictate that.  Then again, I've never really been in a serious relationship in my entire life, and the two that were kind of serious weren't really much of a relationship to begin with.  I would elaborate more, but I don't want to hijack the thread.  lol  Therefore, I'm probably not the best person to answer your query, as I could easily be wrong.  Besides, the people that told me that arguing is good for a relationship have been successfully married for years. 

Whereas me, most girls won't even give me the time or day in real life.  Therefore, maybe I'm wrong. To be honest, I really don't care anymore.  As a friend once told me, happiness comes from within anyway, and relationships with people are the icing on the cake so to speak to make life sweeter.  Personally, I don't see why anyone would love arguing unless they're a lawyer or politician, where it's their job.  Then again as Mighty Mom mentioned earlier, it does allow for make up sex to happen, so there's always that. lol

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't buy it either Stevennix.  I don't think arguments help a relationship evolve.  I think just the opposite. People say things to each other that should never be said and that they can't ever take back. As for make-up sex, I think that's just a made-up story.  I've heard of it, but it's completely not my experience and never has been.  The last thing I feel like after an argument is having sex.  I'm much too angry and I would probably rip the head off anybody who came near me.

32. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Women don't like conflict anymore than men,but often are better able to deal with it.

Of course some people naturally are prone to overreact. Usually if its a female its called being 'overly emotional' for a male its called 'being a hothead'

I also thinks it much more how 'disagreements are perceived.

Do you see a disagreement as a challenge perhaps? if you do ,then you perceive your partenars disagreement as an argument.

Discussion v argument.
    Disagreement v conflict

33. celebritie profile image69
    celebritieposted 12 years ago

Its not usually a one-sided issue, if a woman is complaining or arguing their usually is a reason for it.

What is the man doing to cause this to happen? Because believe me she will not waste her time for nothing.

Interesting how in relationships men can always find reason for the argument as "her fault".

Forgetting about what actions or words he has said recently or in the past (sorry but it is true woman bring up past issues) that causes her to want to hash it out.

The guys obvious oblivion or lack of the need to talk  that usually causes more irritation.

But as has been mentioned it depends on the woman because not all women will complain and not all women will argue and some are pretty happy with not causing any waves or unnecessary friction with their mate.

Then on the other hand their are some men who instigate and like to cause drama and stir the pot just to get a rise out of his girlfriend or wife.

I guess that is where the term "drama" comes from.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5118696_f248.jpg

34. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

My hubby is a drama queen lol

1. pajamazzon profile image60
      pajamazzonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My hubby too, he would always ask me " do you love me? do you really love me? " Aaah SHAAADUUUUP smile

35. Pamela Sarzana profile image59
    Pamela Sarzanaposted 12 years ago

Beee-cause, we are always right...smile

36. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 12 years ago

My personal take on this is that women are happy when they are in love, and they feel needed and contented. We all know both sides argue, male and female, so they sort of cancel out.

However I presume that people are aware that women "vent" . Or if not aware of this, ask a woman, and she will gladly explain it...

Happy thought, everyone. smile

37. JDeAngelis profile image59
    JDeAngelisposted 12 years ago

I believe that women find fulfillment in tackling and solving problems, so when faced with an argument they will become happy only because the opportunity to fix something has come about.

38. 4tune profile image60
    4tuneposted 12 years ago

I dunno I think it's because we really want to be more dominant and controlling, but you keep hearing all this stuff how guys need the chase and hunt, so we are like really hungry for something else that we think you would be so intimidated by.

Or we are really in the mood to get a good spanking.

Just a guess on my end, I mean if I had a guy to argue with, those would be the reasons.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)