How come people who never write hubs, are allowed to use forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (132 posts)
  1. GoldenBird profile image56
    GoldenBirdposted 12 years ago

There are some troubled men who regularly use forums, and they have not a single hub in their profiles. How come? How is it allowed? I do not get it--- Is HubPages a chat-website?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes!! We need to get together and make them stop allowing this!! Only people with hubs and atleast one quality hub with a score of 70 or above (not hubber score but hub score) should be allowed to use it!!. It's really irritating seeing useless comments and people here.

Let them be able to ask questions if they wish as I know the forums are meant for them to ask others for help. They can get enough help from questions to create their first hub!!

GoldenBirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree smile

Many people just abuse forums, because HubPages has left the big door open for them.

big_smile

tongue

2. Chemistry Book profile image64
        Chemistry Bookposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Forum could just be a Bore if we accept these Rules. And this Discussion might not have come up....you see?

3. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who determines if a person is useless?  This is such an irritating opinion.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69
          Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only those who deem themselves morally superior, you know... idiots.

2. georgethegent profile image60
          georgethegentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who determines if a person is useful?  This is such an irritating opinion.

Only those who deem themselves morally inferior, you know... idiots. lol

1. Rehana Stormme profile image71
              Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! big_smile

1. aisha91 profile image52
                aisha91posted 12 years agoin reply to this

(chuckles)...Nah I enjoyed this one.

2. Reality Bytes profile image73

"There are some troubled men"

How do you know they are men?   Did one person hurt your feelings and you created a thread in which to attempt to silence them?

I do not get it?

You have noticed this pattern of behavior in your nine days here?

"Let's squash dissenting opinions because we cannot come up with a valid rebuttal" or something like that? 

Why just one hub why not five or TEN?  Let them post, if they violate TOS report them and let staff sort it out.

"Let them post, if they violate TOS report them and let staff sort it out."

-The point is that it takes time for the staff to come and moderate those nice comments. One must have his right to choose who he wants to listen to, and who he does not.

"How do you know they are men?   Did one person hurt your feelings and you created a thread in which to attempt to silence them?"

-I think they are men, and not cats or dogs or vultures. Astrological predictions are better to keep to oneself. smile

GoldenBird just ignore them there's no need to reply to those threads

Yes!

Thanks lobobrandon smile

2. Chemistry Book profile image64
            Chemistry Bookposted 12 years agoin reply to this

..and you are replying!

One has the right to express their opinions, you have the right to ignore them but not to silence them.

"-I think they are men, and not cats or dogs or vultures."

Could it be possible they may be women?

I mean 'men' in the generic use of the word..

We are actually discussing a solution suggested by Pcunix-

"A simple solution that many other forums have is the option to block users.  You then can't see their comments or forum posts."

We are not talking to silence anyone. We are talking to retain our right for choices.

1. Reality Bytes profile image73

This is NOT a social networking site.  Once again YOU have the Right to ignore any post you like.  You do NOT have the right to determine if any member has the Right to post in the forums.

I disagree with Pcunix on this. Perhaps you would be more content playing on Facebook, that way you can have the feeling of superiority by blocking users.

HP is a privately owned site with its own TOS.  We have no Right to tell staff how they should operate THEIR website.   You have the Right to express your opinions within TOS.......Stop.

You simply did not get it in your head. I will let you there alone. If you can not understand an idea, it's better to ask people to explain that. You are instead showing your infantile temper on me. Very good, please continue.

If you cool down, then read this post by Pcunix-

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1912040

1. Cagsil profile image70
                  Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's YOU who doesn't understand. It seems as though that you want the power to remove the post from your view and that just shouldn't be the case...that's the wimps way out.

If you're unable to stand against the adversity, then walk away or don't respond to the post. Maybe YOU should learn a little self control?

We don't want to see those posts. That's it.

Temper?  If you resort to personal attacks you will surely get staff's attention.  I do not need anything explained to me, I understand quite well.

I also do not need any homework, Thank You for the offer.  I do not need any explanations,  I understand completely both your intent and purpose.

You do not understand.... IT IS CALLED TERMS OF SERVICE!

If Hubpages determines what the rules are then who are YOU to tell them differently?

This post, above, Reality Bytes, is enough evidence for the entire community, to understand how infantile and rude you are. I don't need moderators to deal with an uncivilized kid. smile

@A Troubled Man,  I knew this thread was posted to attack a single member.  It now makes complete sense.

3. georgethegent profile image60
        georgethegentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about the troubled women? It would be unreasonably sexist just to pick on the guys, wouldn't it???

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Writing here isn't a requirement for forum usage.
      Because HubPages chooses it to be that way.
      Again, because HubPages chooses it to be that way.
      HubPages is a writing site that which has a forum that members of HubPages can use if they so choose.

4. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol It's pretty obvious your thread, anger, malice and hatred are directed at me, that you wish to have me censored because you consider my posts 'ignorant rubbish' and I'm only here to 'abuse forums'.

Yes, you are trying to 'silence' me and have me ejected simply because you got Christ and you don't want to hear anything that may shake the foundations of your beliefs. That is obvious.

Retaining your right for choices? lol

Yes, you want to retain your rights as long as others lose their rights, or in this case, have them taken away.

Of course, there are many members here who say more in one post than some do their entire time here, including their hubs. Of course, only being here for 10 isn't really enough time to see the validity or credibility of any given member. However, the creation of this thread would show that in spades. big_smile

5. Little two two profile image85
      Little two twoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are thinking of the newcomers? You talk as if you are age old at this publishing platform, yet your account is only 10 days old and your hubs are 'just poems', many could argue, you should not be in here posting, as you dont have any 'real' hubs, meaty and substantial - just rubbish junk .. darn, it could be guessed your just a sock puppet on another account who put up some 'poems' to argue your case and use the same tactic others are that you are judging down on them for.

To say I dont want to see this or that, then dont freakin look. I am sure there are people on here who would love to do away with poetry, thats not 'real' writing. I am not trying to be rude to poetry writers, but just show that there are those who may feel you don't have the right to be here. People who post more like a blog on here would love to see the sales hubs gone.

Even though people may not want to see what you have to say, most will say you have the right to pose whatever crap you want, I have the right to scroll right past. You dont have the right to dictate who can and can't post, as your original post implied.

I know of folks who posted to the forum before publishing, because they wanted to ask questions about their hub and the design of it (for example) ... your idea would have blocked them from the forums and forced rubbish to be posted, just to get assistance.

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been raised a few times.

The reason given is always access for new members.  If we ban people who don't have Hubs, how will newbies ask for help getting started? 

However there's an easy solution to that - HubPages could restrict posting rights for newbies, so they can only post in the HubPages-related threads (like Need Help, Report a Problem etc). 

The suspicion is that HubPages likes the controversy - it means more activity on the forums which is good for Google ranking.  So I don't think they're likely to limit access any time soon.

I also had the same idea- that newbies can get enough help from  the HubPages-related threads, and this will end the problem. If your suspicion is right, then I will be very disappointed with HubPages. If it is wrong, then they must implement this.

I would like to get a staff come here and explain this for us.

By the way, if HubPages likes to be a chat-website, then it must have the features of a chat website: the one pointed out by Pcunix.

Thanks for the honest reply, Marisa Wright. I appreciate that :-)

7. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're on a writing website that promotes creativity and freedom of expression, but you desire censorship?  Kind of puts a damper on things.  smile

Read through this thread. If you do not find any reason or meaning, then ask. We have discussed already. You might not have spent time to understand this thread. wink

1. ediggity profile image61
          ediggityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand perfectly.  You think there should be certain rules/regulations/options set in place for specific individuals who don't measure up to your opinion/criteria of a worthwhile appropriately contributing Hubber.    smile

8. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For the same reason that some new users come onto a site and just start complaining...  Go figure...

Perhaps you will not consider Marisa Wright a new user; and will you consider her complaining?

-"The suspicion is that HubPages likes the controversy - it means more activity on the forums which is good for Google ranking.  So I don't think they're likely to limit access any time soon."

9. Dr. Haddox profile image59
      Dr. Haddoxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are people out there who suffer from real needs for opportunities to interact with other people. They are lonely, or fearful, or just need to be needed. Lets have compassion for those among us who are needy, lonely or just plain "want some companionship" over the web. I have tried to keep my reply simple and non-medical like.
      Dr Haddox

2. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

imo the only ones who should be removed are the obvious sockpuppets.

(spreadingtheword is a prime example)

3. GoldenBird profile image56

It were really helpful if someone from the staff could explain this.

The staff has already explained themselves quite well.  Maybe you have not paid attention.

http://hubpages.com/faq/

4. Debby Bruck profile image64
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Hi GoldenBird ~ I believe I asked about this a long time ago. I learned that many people on Hubpages are supporters of authors. Many write insightful comments, vote and rate on hubs. Some converse in the forums. It is not required to write any hubs.

However, I can see if there are pests with all negative attitudes not contributing anything useful they could be removed.

Blessings,
    Debby

Thanks Debby.

5. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Oh let them do it.  They've got nothing better to do in their lives than talk smack with other people.  It's their way of socializing.  And you shouldn't let it bother you.  Jesus had to deal with Pharisees and Saducees, and they're exactly like that.

6. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

Lets start a protest against non hubbing forum posters smile

Haha smile I'm with you Calpol - But, there are a few genuine posters as Debby pointed out big_smile

1. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I know what you mean, its really hard to actually filter out some of these people but I think the best way is to incorporate a rule that the forums remain closed to a new hubber until after they have posted their first hub?? smile

2. Cassie Smith profile image60
      Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why bother?

7. GoldenBird profile image56

Hi folks! smile Thanks for the support.

I just was thinking about the newcomers. We know how things roll here. But they don't. It were really good if hubpages could implement what I am suggesting.

Read this- http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/12/how-to … fe-online/

They are worried themselves I guess.

Whatever. We got Christ!

1. Cassie Smith profile image60
      Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been to other forums and they are just as bad or worse.  There's a whole bunch of haters and relativists and pluralists who talk smack because they don't understand or hate.  New people can figure that out and they can interact with them or not.

Hi Cassie Smith!

..I understand what you are trying to say. Thanks!

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

A simple solution that many other forums have is the option to block users.  You then can't see their comments or forum posts.

I can see why HP doesn't want to restrict forum use.  I can't see why they won't give us the tools to block peope we don't want to listen to.

Good idea friend!

We need a hubpages staff to listen to this idea.

2. Debby Bruck profile image64
      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting option for the person who starts the forum post. Twitter has BLOCK messages, FaceBook has DELETE or HIDE messages. NING has moderate comments. And, even here on Hubpages we can Moderate and delete messages.

Perhaps forums are considered differently. On YouTube you will find that most people will vote up the most amazing super videos. There will always be those rebellious types who want to be noticed by clicking "down" or just want to put a bad spin of everything. Everyone wonders why?

3. Reality Bytes profile image73

PC posted this 2 hrs after you started this thread.  So to claim that your intent was to discuss Pc's ideas is a little silly.  You started this thread to attempt to silence those YOU do not deem worthy to post.  That is out of line and not within your power to control.

You can always go back to the forums that allow you to do the things you seem to want to do.

So, now you got the idea in your head? smile

9. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

If I want to ignore someone who posts ignorant rubbish to try to incite a reaction out of others - I just Ignore.. very simple - I don't need tools, or bans... Don't rise to the bait!!! People like that will only post if they get the reaction they want, if they don't get the reaction they have no reason to carry on posting!!!!

"If I want to ignore someone who posts ignorant rubbish to try to incite a reaction out of others"

-Unfortunately, that's not ignoring, that's a tactic, and many people are not interested in spending time in tactics. They need an outright tool that will make the ' ignorant rubbish' vanish. smile

Pcunix's idea is great. We need a staff to listen to this.

Perhaps YOU would like to determine the difference between a valid post and "ignorant rubbish".  There is a tool.....scroll down and ignore the post.  Censorship of dissent is not necessary!

10. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

The first time someone interacts with HP it could well be a forum post to announce their presence and/or ask for help. Either way it would be discourteous to deny such interaction.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yuup, but when they've been here three years or six months and they still haven't written a hub?

How about a hubber that has hundreds of hubs written and published, but does not want their writer's name affiliated with the stuff on the forums.  That would not violate HP TOS as long as they stick with one account for the forums.

It also would be a concern only to the person and the website.  The rest of us would have no business intruding in to this relationship.  If the hubber stays within TOS there is no need to have a published hub.

What right would anyone else have for demanding that this be changed?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I hadn't thought of that, RB.  I wonder if there would be a way around it?  Although if a Hubber is expressing their true opinions, why would he/she be ashamed of what they wrote on the forums?

example:

Sales hubbers...It might not be conducive to buyers to disagree with the author of whose opinion on a product is about to be made?  Seeing a different religious perspective in a forum may turn that buyer away forever.  This does not reflect upon me, I have no sales hubs .

My forum contributions enhance the bulk of my material.  It took me over a year to see my moniker on the first page of Google.

11. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I have just re-joined hubpages and tried to publish two hubs, which have both remained unpublished, because they are said to contain content already published on another site.  As I have not published either on another site, I can only assume that someone else has published my articles as their own.

Google your content, it should appear in searches if someone else has it published?

12. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

There were no forums for the entire first year I was on HubPages.  It was nice and you could get a lot more work done.

13. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

How about one hub gives you 100 forum posts?

We could start people of with 100 forum posts, but before they could write forum post 101, they would need to publish a hub, and get (say) a 70 hub-score.

Reality Bytes makes some good points, but it is annoying that people with NO hubs can just post and cause trouble.

For any established hub writer here, who wished to retain a separate forum identity, writing one hub per 100 forum posts would be no problem.

Hubpages makes money from clicks made on the hubs, the forums may be good for ranking, but there are no ads to click, hence no income returned.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

If they cause trouble, report them. Some here can write more in a single quality post than others with 150 hubs combined, for example.

14. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

And if they need help with their first hub?

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For the hundredth time, not apply the limits to Need Help", "Extreme Hub Makeover" etc.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of the thing they might need help with is knowing where to post.  Or finding out whether this place is friendly enough to engage them. Or to research a subject area they wish to write a hub about.

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When a newbie signed on, all it would take was an automatic message explaining their access rights:

1 hub with a score over 70 will allow you to post 100 forum posts, until you reach that target, your access will be restricted to the following forums....

Then a list of help forums.

Simple, they can read anything, and participate in the help forums, they just cannot litter the real forums with their trolling, if they are a troll.

It would do most newbies a world of good to NOT be able to enter some forums until they had seen how they work, the trolls love to gang up on newbies who speak openly and get 'troll banged'.

15. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

We all have our share of 'idiots' posting from time to time , but that it is mostly our perspective,on what we feel is stupid or ignorant.

It is a democracy and freedom of speech initiative (under T.O.S) AND I would decribe Hubpages as a writing site with extras smile

To disallow certain people to use the forum is maybe a tad snobbish and elitist.

I mean what if a hubber were a crappy writer and equally crappy forum poster ,yet we blocked a potentially inspiring author from posting in the forum, because they had not yet published.

Its good to have fresh blood running through the veins of HP...even if it shakes up the status quo (I think) smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

That's why it would have to be set up so new Hubbers could post in all the Hub-related forums, for help and feedback.

I don't think it's necessary for a new writer to post on the topic-related threads in order to inspire them to write! 

And I also don't think it's snobbish and elitist to bar non-Hubbers from the other forums.  Take a look at the people who are on the forums without Hubs - in the great majority of cases, they're a troll or at the very least, a stirrer.  Barring non-Hubbers might disadvantage a rare genuine person, but that's what happens when you have rules.

16. GoGreenTips profile image58
    GoGreenTipsposted 12 years ago

For some reason I decided to read through the answers to this forum, or question. I guess I was bored,really don't feel like writing today... or some other strange reason. Irregardless I ran through the answers and I have a response.

Although I don;t respond often to these threads, I think it's good that Hubpages allows discussions to proceed unrestricted. It is also good that they allow even those comments on forums that many deem unimportant, as long as they are not threatening or profusely vulgar because this allows for more open discussion s even though we must at times sift through opinions we don't agree with or find strange.

I'm glad that hubpages allowed this discussion, and I hope that they allow all members to post forums and simply allow the hubpage community to determine if they want to respond or not.

Perhaps these people that you refer to keep posting because they get responses, even negative ones.

If you don;t like the forum question, or the answers simply scroll down or don't read or respond to the question.

Well enough said. I've checked in to hubpages, now I'm going to play some computer games.

17. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Ugh ,too many rules in this world as it is wink

I agree with rules that serve to protect individuals,privacy for example. That makes sense to me.

But not being allowed on a forum because they havent published yet,makes no sense.

Possibly you are correct, I personally either stay out of the forums, or just ignore those who are only here for trouble, but it is a two edged sword, and some rules would also protect newbies who jump in and get damaged, or get the wrong impression, when they are troubled by trolls and people with nothing else to do but play the forums.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand where youre coming from, and I well remember my first days -baptism of fire lol, it is not for the thin skinned ,but it tends to be the nature of online forums, or reflective of typical real life conflicts.

In the real world however, discussion ,debate, opinion sharing,is not dependant on having first produced written work ,hence my thoughts, and hecklers (and idiots) are an just another part of the fabric of free expression.

To be honest I could live with either format quite well,but it would be so much different ,almost not natural.

Doubt we would see the difference, the trolls would simply adjust to the new rules and write on article to get their 100 posts, though for some of them it would mean writing one article a week, which is a small cost to them.

But for newbies, getting that equality of posting would possibly encourage them to write a few hubs quickly, whilst being able to read, but not post, in the non help forums.

It may bring a modicum of reserve to their posts when they started writing posts in the more troll haunted religious forums, and would give them some time to identify the trolls before the trolls had time to pounce on their newbie honesty and openness!

18. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

On HubPages, you can signup with more than one user name, so if it looks like a forum poster has never published a Hub, it probably isn't true.  I think some people don't want to be identified/targeted using their main identity, so they just signup for a new one.  It is my understanding that, according to the Terms of Service, only one identity may be used for posting on forums.  But, on the other hand, because all of our forum postings show up on our profile page, I can understand why Hubbers might not want their personal rantings and complaints in forum comments to show.  (I really don't like that, either.)

The posts before and after your post (now reported, those posts, not yours!)) show why some ruling would make sense.

pressreleaseping
      8 posts
      Hubs: 0
      Followers: 0

Yet they get to post spam and can come back with impunity.

Speaking personally, I write stuff that could easily cost me money in real life, where I make my money, as people can easily find my identity, and can see my businesses, if they are minimally internet savvy.

But frankly, if people do not want to do business with me because of who I am, and how I openly post and write about my opinions, then they are better going elsewhere.

Someone's level of transparency is a good guide to how they will behave in life and business.

Hiding behind false identities does not sit well with me.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I saw that posting, too.  Pure spam!  Probably thought that was a followed link he was posting - which is wasn't.

I understand your points.  I tend to lean toward the "freedom of speech" position, within only a few limits.

Agree, freedom of speech is something I fight for all the time, but all freedoms are actually privileges granted or gained, so whilst I applaud HubPages open forum policy, I would also welcome some conditional requirements to gain that freedom.

Is it REALLY too much to ask that a hubber write ONE HUB for every 100 posts they make?

For me that would mean I would need 26 hubs published, for you it would mean you could publish another 1345 posts before you needed to write another hub.

For the trolls it would require minimal effort to keep their trolling options open, and we may even see some fine writing from them, rather than inane one liners with smiley faces that just show their scorn and inadequacy.

We all know who the trolls are, and I have just decided to ignore them, as most seasoned hubbers also do, but they do prowl the forums hunting those who are newbies and they pounce to do their trolling.

They are annoying and add nothing to the value of the HubPages experience.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

First of all, writing hubs and writing on the forums are two completely different things. Forums are forums, just like anywhere else, and anyone can join and post on them.

Secondly, it would seem that those who actually have the least to contribute on the forums, who are unable to intelligently respond to others, who continually make up stuff and spread lies are those who complain the most of others here, calling them trolls, hecklers and idiots when they simply can't hold their own ground in a discussion as their opinions and beliefs get called out to face reality.

And lastly, those who complain the most certainly appear to be the ones who don't actually practice what they preach.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

You mean "aquasilver" is actually your real name and not a false identity? lol

No I mean that aguasilver was a trading name I used, in a health product business I ran whilst living in Spain, and when I first joined, that became my name as I used my email address: aguasilver@gmail.com.

The name was fixed, and as you cannot change your username, it has stayed that way for the last two years. Like most people, when I joined I was reluctant to put my full name down as my avatar name, not knowing what sort of folk live in the Hub, but I do not assume new identities to hide who I really am, and I assume Troubled man is a reference to your mental condition rather than your name?

In my hubs I clearly provide sufficient information for anyone who is interested to find my birth name, and if anyone Google's Aguasilver, they will most probably find my various Linkedin and networking accounts, however to save you the problem, Troubled Man, whoever you are, my name is John Harper and I currently live in Penang, Malaysia, from where I manage companies which operate out of the Philippines and globally in my businesses.

Care to be as transparent yourself?

Or will you only try to defend your anonymity and right to post in the forums with no hubs published?

John

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
            Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do respect your not trying to hide behind an avatar even though we may disagree on some subjects, John.  smile

Thanks Randy, we only disagree on small matters!

I guess we agree on transparency, which is a BIG matter, that's good enough for me.

John

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we do agree on transparency, John.  There's something futile in having a discussion with a personage who may simply be posting under different names with totally different opinions depending on their present particularly portrayed personae.  (sorry about the 4 P's) smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

No need to get excited, John.

The entire point was to show that it's perfectly reasonable to submit requests for access to forum tools so that one may enhance their online experience. But, to take cheap shots, make accusations and start name calling is really not the best way to argue the case especially when you post comments like the one above.

Personally, I don't care what someone calls themselves online, or what picture they place in their avatars, how many posts they've made or even how many hubs they've written. It doesn't matter here in the least, because if what they're saying in their posts is a wishy washy uninformed word salad, nonsensical fabricated gibberish or just plain gobbledegook, no amount of personal information submitted or number of hubs written is going to support their credibility, John.

Yeah, in part I agree TM, it was a cheap shot, but hey, I'm human also.

"It doesn't matter here in the least, because if what they're saying in their posts is a wishy washy uninformed word salad, nonsensical fabricated gibberish or just plain gobbledegook, no amount of personal information submitted or number of hubs written is going to support their credibility"

But then again....

It's good that at least when you come to defending your 'identity' you are prolific in writing, just a shame that it does not continue when you write your normal inane one liner replies with smilies.

Anybody who bothers to look at your replies over the last 5 months and compare them to others, will clearly see that the vast majority of your 3000 posts (I guess you don't work, that's about 40 per day) are one liners with no content, just scorn and ridicule.

If that is your understanding of what forum writing is about, it possibly explains why you are reluctant to write even one measly hub.

I would guess that my credibility is witnessed by the new readers I pick up when I foray into the forums. Unfortunately I am normally too busy to waste my time in them, they are fun, and sometimes they can be informative, but they ARE spoilt by the trolls and hit and run artists that frequent them, and that's a shame.

John

1. Dr. Haddox profile image59

Very good writing and very good thinking, John. I like your calm mannerisms and level-headed approach to life. Some things go beyond religion.
                Dr. Haddox

19. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

Foxes bite trolls.

1. Michele Travis profile image67
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I a very much a newbee. Only published a few hubs.  Just a few responses.  I would like to know what might interest people.  I am not a very good writer which is why I am in the forums.  They do help new hub people.

Write about what interests you, you are not alone.   Once you pick a subject Google some of the keywords you plan on using.  Google will suggest many long tailed keywords you might want to try and incorporate in to your hub.

Other then that just write, and have fun.

Thank you,  I will do that smile

Well I just wrote a hub!

2. Dr. Haddox profile image59

Michele, you are a wonder person. I am so proud of you. You are doing well in this new adventure of yours, writing Hubs. Think about your wonderful life, Michele, what you have seen and what you are doing, and write about it. I would love to hear about what you have say. Keep in touch. "As you go, Peace." Dr. Haddox

Very good. Dr. Haddox

20. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 12 years ago

In the end, it doesn't matter who posts what in the forums, as eventually the subject will come up again...so even if you get the chance to humiliate someone, and waste ten hours of your life doing it, someone without a life will come and start another forum thread, with the same kind of question, just to get some attention. I am here, only because I have insomnia and didn't want to think. Mostly everyone here is anonymous anyways, so who cares if its a faceless stranger or someone with a nice profile pic and a hundred hubs...

Hope you slept well after this my friend.

Thanks for the commit, aguasilver. Dr. Haddox

Interesting and thought provoking. You are a deep thinker. Very good. Very good indeed. Dr. Haddox

1. goldentoad profile image61
        goldentoadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see you guys got nowhere with this. Eventually you'll learn. It all depends though on that learning curve... Best of luck with wasting your time on hubpage forums trying to establish intellectual dominance.

21. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

I don't think rules should be made to protect people's feelings; so the discussion (bickering) over how to prevent those who haven't written hubs from posting on forums is ridiculous to me. There will always be hotbed issues that instigate contentious dialogue- religion being one of them. If one is too timid for these forums, then stay out. Another solution: stop fueling the fiery rage of others. No one is going to win.  I welcome lively banter and find it stimulating. Perhaps, it will open my mind. I don't care if someone posts w/o writing hubs, using a pseudonym or not. I do have to wonder though: if a person has such strong opinions, why NOT write a hub?

cat on a soapbox, You are so correct. Your advice, to me and to others, "To stop fueling the fiery rage of others," is very good advice indeed. I will take your advice. Thank you. Dr. Haddox

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)