HubPages update

Jump to Last Post 1-48 of 48 discussions (66 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

We just deployed a few changes to HubPages.  The biggest changes are:

1. Q&A short answers - You can now answer questions with either a short answer or a hub, and answers can be voted up or down by the community.  Some of the restrictions on what can be asked in a question have been lifted.

2. Create a hub page - You can now choose from 3 different starting layouts, or you can clone the layout of any of your existing hubs.

3. Home page / Categories - You can now personalize the topics that appear on the home page by joining the fan club of categories that you are interested in.

4. Safari, Chrome, and Opera Support - We've improved the compatibility of HubPages with these browsers.  Support is still at the beta level, but we think most tools on the site including the Hub Editor should work.  If you notice any problems, please let us know.

5. Facebook / Twitter - When you publish a new hub, you can now easily add it to your facebook feed or tweet about it.

Quite a few things have changed, and as always there may be new bugs.  If you notice anything unusual please let us know.

Thanks!

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
      GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ALL great changes!

And Opera has always been the best browser to use on HP, to be honest. It's the only browser I've used between all three major OSes that correctly displays my pages. wink

But then again, it is the most standards compatible as it is.

The Q and A thing rawks sawks, thanks for that too. And the layout/clone thing...PERFECT!

Sincerely,
      G|M

2. MissJamieD profile image55
      MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love being able to personalize everything, cool! It would be fun if we could "pretty up" our profile pages too, with backgrounds, quotes, etc. Not like MySpace in general, but the artistic part of it is fun:)

3. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great news thanks!  I've been asking for the ability to "clone" a hub since I joined, so this is fab thanks!

4. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I definitely appreciate the compatibility with Chrome, it is by far, my favorite browser. The only thing that I've noticed (and it doesn't happen all the time) is that when I'm trying to format text in bold, it doesn't always work.

For example, the other day I made a bullet list of system specs on my new laptop. I made all the specs in bold and then wrote a line next to the bold text with normal text. When I went to publish the hub, the bold formatting was gone and now that part of the hub looks sort of jumbled. I've made similar lists before in IE and have never had a problem with text not appearing bold after publishing.

1. larryfreeman profile image79
        larryfreemanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi girly_girl09,

Thanks for reporting this issue.  I'll take a look to see what's up.

-Larry

2. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

Hooray!!! I was just noticing a few of these changes. big_smile

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I especially appreciate numbers 2 and 5! You rock guys! smile

4. Lgali profile image59
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

thanks for this all new features

5. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Hey cool, shoulda looking here before publishing my two hubs today, but cool new features!

6. Whitney05 profile image85
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I like how when creating a hub, you no longer have to scroll to the top in order to add capsules. There is now a bar that appears. Problem that I see is that it doesn't offer ebay capsule, only amazon.

I can't wait to check out the layout options.

For the short answer, does that mean if there's a request that we already have a hub about, we can post the link to the hub?

Edit: Just checked out the layout options... Is there an easier way to search through existing hubs in order to copy a layout?

Edit: I now see both amazon and ebay capsules on the bar, but the names and logos are switched. IE it says ebay but has the amazon logo.

7. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Awesome big_smile these changes look great!! The short answer thing looks pretty neat and def liking the FB deal big_smile

8. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 14 years ago

Thanks a lot Hub Team smile

9. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

Fantastic! I really like #1, 2 and 5.

Sweet new changes...hubpages is always getting better smile

10. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

Oooh! Cool! Thanks Paul!

11. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 14 years ago

I'm LOVING these new changes...keep the comments and feedback coming!

http://hubpages.com/u/1078887_f520.jpg

Also, Fawntia wrote a great blog on the new changes to the Q&A section over here: http://blog.hubpages.com/2009/05/new-fe … s-answers/

12. Whitney05 profile image85

Ryan, can we put links on the short answer for hubs that we have that are already written and pertain to the hub request?

1. WeddingConsultant profile image66
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohhh, now I really like that option. That's something we've been talking about doing for a long time- answer a request with an already published hub!

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not Ryan (obviously), but I think it's fine if you do that.

13. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

LOVE these changes!  Thanks, HubPages!

14. Whitney05 profile image85

Change my mind... The toolbar in the edit mode is irritating. I'd like to have the option to close it.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha...that didn't take long.

1. Whitney05 profile image85
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha yea I know.. It was kind of neat when I noticed it before I saw this thread... Then when I continued to finish the hub I was working on and then start on another, it started to get in the way. I kept trying to close it, but there's no 'X' to close. I guess it's just reaction and whatnot to close boxes.

Oh and with the Tweet the new hub thing... By setting up the Twitterfeed, it automatically updates when you post new hubs, when you set up your hubber RSS feed that is, so I'm not sure how necessary that feature is. I think it'd be better to have it on the share it option though so that other people can tweet the hub, and it's already there.

15. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

HubPages has just given me a boost of energy to write more with these fantastic changes. Thank you a million times! I love the constant development toward good things. smile

Wooo Whooo!! Get to writing, Patty!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/NYA_typing_class.gif

16. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 14 years ago
  17. aniketgore profile image60
    aniketgoreposted 14 years ago

Lovely changes.

18. evemurphy profile image41
    evemurphyposted 14 years ago

I'm looking forward to trying out all the new features! Thanks!  smile

19. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Q&A short answers: why don't you display adsense ads on those short answers?

Good question. smile

The truth is that we haven't decided on how the new short Q&A answers are going to play into the overall earnings plan just yet and since it's our first go at it we want to make sure that we get all of the bugs out before any of us (Hubbers or HubPages) attempts to earn ad revenue from it.

Make sense?

20. hassam profile image73
    hassamposted 14 years ago

Man the changes are awesome!!

21. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I'm loving the changes. Love the reminder to tweet about my new hub.

This makes me feel like we are a real team effort here! Glad to see that the Hubpages command central really is into this.

It gives me the confidence to make Hubpages a high priority in my business plan.

Thanks so much.

22. carpesomediem profile image61
    carpesomediemposted 14 years ago

I am so, so excited about being able to clone other hub layouts!  This makes things so much easier for me when I use a standard hub layout for my hubs.  Thanks, everyone!

23. Reg Brittain profile image60
    Reg Brittainposted 14 years ago

Much appreciated!

I am excited about the FaceBook and Twitter integration.

Thank you!

24. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the nice updates.

Hubpages is getting more professional day by day.

25. oxymoron profile image59
    oxymoronposted 14 years ago

Pretty cool cool

26. Isabella Snow profile image87
    Isabella Snowposted 14 years ago

Yay! 2, 3 and 5 are much, much appreciated!!!!!!

27. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

awesome clone hub! I totally asked for that months ago!

28. WeddingConsultant profile image66

Not that I'm trying to agree with everything Whitney keeps saying, but she just keeps reading my mind and typing it faster than I can.

I agree with the idea of having a option for readers to tweet the hub. It's 100x better if others talk about our hubs rather than us self-promoting.

So although the current (new) option to tweet our own hubs is good, it would be better if there was an option to encourage others to tweet our hubs.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That option is available under share this.

http://hubpages.com/u/1082912_f520.jpg

1. Debby Bruck profile image66
          Debby Bruckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perfect. I see this option elsewhere on blogs, so having it on Hubs is familiar to visitors. Great integration. Thanks Ryan.

2. Whitney05 profile image85
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like Paul and Ryan has already said, the option is there already... Which is why I said  "it's already there" ;-)

29. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

How wonderful as always great job and thank you!!!big_smile

30. RGraf profile image87
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

These are great!  thanks.

31. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Jus love how we are so cared for smile I feel like a flower basking under tender sunlight. Thank you Paul and HP team!

32. Teresa McGurk profile image59
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

Love all the new features.  Most excellent, thanks!

33. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Excellent...now how about a free beer after every hubpage published!!!

Believe me, if Paul Deeds could somehow make that happen he would have built it in a LONG time ago, my friend. smile

34. WeddingConsultant profile image66

This is me reading posts:
    http://www.geocities.com/mymmsite/c-gus-blind-glasses.jpg

As you can tell, I am sometimes blinded by my ugly glasses.

35. Profmaggy profile image60
    Profmaggyposted 14 years ago

The changes are great and make hubbing an even better experience.

36. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Just published a new hub, I love the twitter and facebook integration and the toolbar is great, no more moving up and down the page all the time.

Thanks guys...and girls.

1. Isabella Snow profile image87
      Isabella Snowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am really loving that new toolbar, so much better than having to scroll up. smile

37. glassvisage profile image84
    glassvisageposted 14 years ago

Woo! Thanks so much for the short-answer feature! There were so many times where I just wanted to write one line or add a link smile Hopefully this can mean more traffic for existing Hubs!

38. dwilliamson profile image59
    dwilliamsonposted 14 years ago

Hi, this might be a stupid question but can we post a question in the Q&A and then answer it ourselves?

1. profile image49
      ladyvenusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love the new updates on hubpages perhaps they realized the need to update it. Wink*

39. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Amazing changes. Not writing any Hub now but I am sure it will be a new and good experience. Thanks Hubpages.

40. DarleneMarie profile image59
    DarleneMarieposted 14 years ago

Love the improvements to HubPages!  Great work Paul & HubTeam for making HubPages a great looking place!

41. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Progress is always a good thing. Love the new features. Thanks!

42. Rudra profile image67
    Rudraposted 14 years ago

Thank you, Hubpages is getting better and better.

43. DarleneMarie profile image59
    DarleneMarieposted 14 years ago

<--- Trying to contain herself.  I am so THRILLED with not having to go to the very top to add a capsule while working on a Hub I could EXPLODE!

Thanks so much HubTeam!!!!

44. ripplemaker profile image78
    ripplemakerposted 14 years ago

I noticed the changes and am glad am able to say thank you for making HubPages better and better all the time.  Thank you! smile

45. profile image0
    rethansmithposted 14 years ago

Is there a way for me to grab an rss feed for topics/categories, and subtopics?

46. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 14 years ago

'Short answers to the questions asked' is really a change needed for a long. It will be very useful as some requests require only short answers and not a complete hub. I did not use this feature till now but I am sure that there is a provision to link your hubs as answer to these requests. This will help avoid duplication of information. Second change is related to compatibility to few browsers. I love to use opera but latest versions of opera have conflicts with edit (text, comments)mode of hubpages.Now these browsers are compatible with HP so these browsers can be used. Thanks HP for the changes (much needed).

47. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Great new features hubpages, but when can we fix banners into our capsules?
    Irritating that i cant promote some banners and active product pictures.
    can we look forward to that feature soon?
    Asides that, you guys are great

48. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 14 years ago

Thanks - you all continue to make this such a great site. I love the facebook and tweet button.
    Cool!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)