Why do Christians fall down in prayer?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Marliza Gunterposted 13 years ago

Why do Christians fall down in prayer?

I can't find in the bible where Jesus or the disciples made the people to fall under the anointing.  The thing is, a non believer said such things are fake and there is no mention of this phenomena written in the New Testament...what should I answer according to scriptures?

2. profile image0
    DrDeanCrosbyposted 13 years ago

There are a number of instances recorded in the Bible where people are so shocked by the power of God that they literally faint.Here is one of them:

Matthew 17:5-6 (King James Version)

5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
    6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid.

3. dabeaner profile image59
    dabeanerposted 13 years ago

Weak knees in addition to weak minds?

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yours, perhaps.

4. Powerful Pierre profile image61
    Powerful Pierreposted 13 years ago

IF someone is "making" people fall down that is not scriptural, but to be over whelmed by God the Father, Jesus or the Holy Spirit is (REV 1:17)  and the LORD often brings someone to their knees or prostrate in complete submission in prayer circumstances. (What about Paul on the road to Damascus)While the non believers can argue that those words are nowhere in the NT, they cannot argue that the action is. READ Acts again and ask the LORD to help you with more clarification.

5. Bruce_Leiter profile image56
    Bruce_Leiterposted 13 years ago

It's not a good use of the Bible to argue from what the Bible doesn't say.  However, I agree with you that the falling experienced by Christians in some circles is questionable.  Why would God want people to fall and/or faint when they are worshiping him?  However, the Bible does say (1 Corinthians 14) that worship must build Christians up and be understandable to unbelievers and believers alike (Paul's reference is to speaking in tongues in worship, but the principle applies to all of worship).  That practice seems to violate Paul's inspired instructions to the church in that chapter.

6. profile image0
    epochs_oblivionposted 13 years ago

Quick answer - Romans 14:6

Allow me to explain. Personally, I would just be honest with this person and explain that the Bible does not contain all there is to know in this life and the next. If it did, it would be a book that would be too long to read in one lifetime. I would also be honest with this person about yourself, and explain that you yourself do not have all the answers. Also, scriptural or not, you cannot control the actions of others. But, speaking scripturally, God does give us some leeway on how we worship and follow Him (Romans 14:6) as long as it is honoring Him. If people want to faint and be annointed and all that, and if it is for the glory of God, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with it. If someone doesn't want to but is still honoring God through that, that's perfectly fine too. That's what having a personal relationship with Him is all about. I hope that helps. If you need anything else or if I can help in any way, my email address is epochs_oblivion@yahoo.com and I am always available. Good luck and God bless.

1. celafoe profile image56
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

if it was of God we would have 2 witnesses in scripture.   we have none

7. Van Lal Hmangaih profile image70
    Van Lal Hmangaihposted 13 years ago

The reason is simple, it is a sign of reverence, respect and honor to the King of kings. In Ancient Near East culture, falling down or knelling down before their king is a sign of their respect and worship. And this may have something to do with culture. There is nothing wrong with falling down in prayer and worship because that also express our full submission and surrendering heart the our Father. However, if somebody manipulates others to do this without heart, that may not be appropriate. But as long as our motive is pure, falling down with our knee clearly express our honor and respect to the Lord, but it should not be fake.
    Here are some passages that talks about falling down or kneeling down:
    =And so, when Jesus' name is called, the knees of everyone should fall wherever they're residing (Philipians 2: 10[ ISV])
    =Psalm 95:6 (NIV) Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker,
    = Rom 14: 11 (ASV) For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, to me every knee shall bow, And every tongue shall confess to God.
    = Eph 3: 14 (NLT) When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,
    I hope that such passages will help you.

8. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 13 years ago

The proper position for prayer is on your knees and head bowed or with arms to the sky. It is a sign of submission to God. Humility.

http://www.thercg.org/articles/tktdp.html#c

People who fall down in prayer and twitch and roll on the ground and jump around like lunatics...have another spirit in them. Not the good kind.

1. Shepherd 48 profile image60
      Shepherd 48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

A word of caution: be careful not to judge or belittle experiences of others, and especially of classifying them as demonic. Jesus declared that those who have not yet tasted the new wine still desire the old. Taste & see that the Lord is good!

2. manatita44 profile image72
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I use a chair, Go Writer. Discomfort for me is a distraction to receptivity and to allowing my inner vessel to hold the Light. Our Lord's spirit permeates my being and fills me with love for all His children. I am familiar with only Spirit.

9. AnthonyT1978 profile image61
    AnthonyT1978posted 12 years ago

God will touch a person in unique ways. And there's also different forms of expression. Sometimes the person will kneel down in worship or prayer. Sometimes the person will just stand up and raise his or her hands. Sometimes the person will lay down face-down to the floor. Sometimes the person will just sit there and cry or sing.

The problem goes when we start creating doctrines out of it and teach the people that in order for them to truly worship the Lord or be under the anointing, they have to fall to the floor or they have to be in a certain position.

We go to different denomination of churches and see that everything is common. They treat the Holy Spirit like an electricity and when the anointing falls everybody get's electrocuted and falls on the floor and starts shaking. This is an example of erroneous teaching, of creating a doctrine out of mystical manifestations.

These people ignore that it's a heart issue.

The truth is that the Holy Spirit is a person, but many treat it like a force, like an electricity that zaps them. God's anointing is a commission by the Holy Spirit (Christ himself) living in you, a calling, a burden, a desire to pursue a specific calling. Not necessarily a mystical experience.

10. profile image56
    John Bethkeposted 12 years ago

Falling down or kneeling or bowing is an act of subordinating the body.  Along with prayer via the mind, one performs an act of integrating the body and mind in subordination before God.  This ultimately opens your soul to spiritual subordination before God.  Mind, body, soul.  All in subordination before God. 

Now, whether or not God is listening is another question.....

11. Keith120 profile image60
    Keith120posted 12 years ago

We know that it is the presence of God (anointing). When it happens all of our burdens seems to be taken form us and we feel as if we can rest. The answer would be to experience it. When I was in college my world religion professor seemed to be opened to all religions but she told us this one and only experience she had at a Christian Church. She said at first they were laughing because the pastor would pray and lay hands on people and they would fall to the ground.

She decided to find out of it was fake or if something was really transpiring. As she started walking up she noticed that she begin to feel this heat around her then when she reached the pulpit she fail out. She was amazed as she was telling the story and she asked for an explanation to the class of what happened. I told her what happened and she wanted to talk to me more about it.

Before I was saved I didn't seek any answers concerning this. All I know is when I felt him come over me I knew and still know that it is not some religious ritual.  Powerful Pierre gives a good answer though. Dancing, jumping, shouting, singing, are all forms of prayer. Prayer is communication with God. We communicate with him in different ways. Again people will believe by experience. All these things happen when we feel his overwhelming expression of love.

12. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Marliza we kneel before Almighty God our creator out of respect, a respect that any creature should have for the creator who made them.

13. Porshadoxus profile image60
    Porshadoxusposted 12 years ago

Sometimes God allows His power to overwhelm our physical being, causing a person to fall down, sometimes called 'slain in the Spirit'. This allows the Holy Spirit to do His work of change in our hearts without us being distracted. This could also serve as a sign to others who witness the event.

1. celafoe profile image56
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are two examples of this "being slain in the Spirit" in scripture and both were dead before they hit the ground.  What you see in the chuches of men are people stirred up intoa frenzy and they get caught up in emotions

14. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

A hub is forthcoming.  There are scriptures speaking of falling down under the anointing and even just getting around the anointing.

15. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

What is this nonsense about a non-believer, and why should you have to answer? You have been left thinking too much. (head). Work on the heart.

We - christians and non-christians alike - fall down in prayer because of ignorance - the pull of the material world. Prayer (spiritual practices) are the clue, true. Try regularity, punctuality, diligence ... an add an indomitable will. Keep your thoughts more inward focus, and utilise your prayer requests well.

Above all, rely on Grace. See yourself as an instrument in the hands of Something Higher. You will stumble. Great! Now pick yourself up ... move on! Much Love.

16. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 11 years ago

If you are really inspired by something, if you find reverence to something, if you really feel humble and awed in front of something, it is a natural outcome of your instincts to fall down in prayer. Why should Jesus or the disciples make people to fall under? It happened naturally.

17. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 11 years ago

I have never fallen down in prayer.
    I've seen others fall down in prayer, but sometimes it's an act.
    But I can't be sure.

18. Ben716 profile image91
    Ben716posted 10 years ago

I have experienced it. I was at the altar and a visiting pastor was praying. I felt the presence og God and it was powerful I could not be able to stand firm. I just fell. I knew it was the Spirit of God because of the feelin I felt all over my body and about me. A person can be able to feel the annointin even if he/she is not prayed upon. The feeling is hard to express. When the Lord moves and acts, things are bound to happen beyond a canal mind. I do not think there are any verses talking about it. But remember the prophecies in Joel. In the last days God will not only pour the former rain but also the latter rain. This means in these end times God will move mightily through His Spirit before the D-day. Signs and wonders are happening at a greater level than ever before in the history of the world.

19. profile image53
    WATERSTARposted 10 years ago

From, WATERSTAR, One All Must Understand When Connected TO GOD is That GOD IS ALL POWERFUL and ALL POWER IS GIVEN TO JESUS, WHEN HE AROSE FROM THE DAED HE HAVE ALL POWER IN EVERY LEVEL OF DOMAIN ,for HE HIS BEGINING AND ALSO ENDING, and HE GIVE POWER OF OPERATION TO WHOSEVER HE PLEASE WHETHER WE LIKE THEM OR NOT,FOR GOD IS GOD EVERYWHERE,in the BOOK Of ST. LUKE AND THE OTHER GOSPEL JUST BEFORE HIS CRUCIFIXION When JESUS Was IN The Garden Praying With His Diciples Soldier came TO Arrest JESUS ,Jesus WAS so Full OF THE ANOINTING That WHEN HE SAID WHO Do YOU SEEK THEY ALL FELL ON GROUND THEY ASK a Second TIME AND JESUS SAID WHO DO YOU SEEK AND AGAIN THEY ALL FELL DOWN, when LIGHTING HIT MOST TREE THEY SOMETIME FALL OVER BECAUSE OF TOO MUCH ELECETRICITY, SO IT IS WHEN THE HOLY GHOST COMES ON MOST TRUE BELIVERS THEY ARE FILL WITH OVERFLOWING POWER THEY ALSO FALL DOWN, GO To THE BOOK OF ACTS OF THE APOSTLE AND HAVE A LOOK, JESUS LOVE YOU and HE wants you to Live a overflowing referesh spirit Filled Life To really know his True Love For You, For He His COMING Soon So Get Ready TO Welcome Him, keep on praying for truly we all need Help, BY WATERSTAR:

20. Phil Morrow profile image58
    Phil Morrowposted 7 years ago

YahShua the Christ is the anointed Who has also anointed Christians.

2Co_1:21  Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;

Heb_1:9  Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellow

Hope this has helped you Martiza

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)