Are you born with your soul looking the way you do when you die?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Brandon Martin profile image61
    Brandon Martinposted 11 years ago

Are you born with your soul looking the way you do when you die?

Or, when you die old do you grow young in the afterlife, and die young you grow old? Is there an age limit after death?

2. jaredbangerter profile image75
    jaredbangerterposted 11 years ago

I wonder if the spirit in each of our bodies even looks anything like what our physical bodies look like.  The reason I wonder this is because our physical appearance is decided by the DNA of our parents.  Our spirits don't share that DNA, so they must look completely different.

Or it could be that our spirit's appearances are based on residual self image.  This means that they would appear however we believe ourselves to look.

Brandon Martinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting presumptions.. almost like what another answer was talking about too.

2. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

DNA if from science, jared. Science is a gift from God which should be used 2 glorify God in Jesus, for without God we, science n technology r nothing. Spiritual health leads 2 physical health n well being. Generational sins in faith r way above DNA.

3. gabgirl12 profile image60
    gabgirl12posted 11 years ago

I think the eyes are the window to the soul. And flesh has nothing to do with whats inside. I doubt there is such a thing as 'looks' in the afterlife or at least that is what I had been taught.

There are people who might not be inherently attractive to you, but they reflect an inner beauty that you can perceive more than their looks. It's something as mysterious as the connections we have with one another.

Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and for the here and the now. If there is such a thing as an afterlife, the true 'self' will become apparent, not the appreciation of others. I don't know that after life, anyone will be able to appreciate it more than the one who created it.

1. Agantum profile image60
      Agantumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Spot on Gabgirl12, the geek boy soul and the jocks soul will look identical to the cheerleaders soul.  But she wont care because the creator will be like, cool, another cheerleader for me.

4. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

After death, I think possibly, that time and age factors no longer exist. No arbitrary boundaries like that perhaps. Our soul is ageless and timeless maybe...it exists forever after we leave this plane of existence in a who new way.

5. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Personally I believe our souls do not die except our physical bodies return back to mother earth.

We will be reborn again to relive our lives. I believe there is a reason for living in this world. I am still in search of my enlightenment for the purpose of life which once achieve, I will be living in the form of spirit. Otherwise, it will be a cycle of life again as human being.

6. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 11 years ago

The soul has not much to do with age or the physical body. Though it is influenced by how we respond or react to our life circumstances while walking around in our physical body.  Our spirit is the essence of who we are, the soul is like a casing around that essence, and the organic physical body is what gets animated to experience human life.  Hopefully during our lives we do a bit of transformation of that soul.  I do believe there is an evolution of the soul, just as there is an evolution of our physical casing - we adapt, we grow, we improve.  Or not!  Depends on how we deal with life.

7. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

I think the only gauge of the soul's age is how far back one can remember..so in this sense, the soul is "ageless" and if we can remember..that far back..also "timeless"...

8. B. Leekley profile image87
    B. Leekleyposted 11 years ago

I wonder if souls look kind of like the Northern Lights.

1. Agantum profile image60
      Agantumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I saw the southern lights once, a great curtain of wavering magenta as far as I could see.  If our souls would look like that or be a part of that, how cool would that be.  It is nice to appreciate the physical world and our pre-death opportunities.

9. somethgblue profile image73
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

Does pure energy look like humans, I don't think so! Why would it matter as we are in a different dimension, with different Universal rules.

Our souls are immortal and exists in a different dimension. Surely humans cannot achieve the lessons for ascension in one lifetime on Earth.

This planet is here for the purpose of the education of our souls and often we must repeat the class over and over agin until we pass the test.

However soon we will be given the choice on this dimension of what orientation we would prefer . . . !

10. Agantum profile image60
    Agantumposted 11 years ago

Yes. No. Uhhm. Maybe. Wait a minute. Are you serious?

I have heard the comment "he is an old soul in a young body" and "a young soul in an old body"   But what is this age limit, is that like a voting age.  Do souls get to vote, for what, an elected creator.  Maybe souls have members only clubs and associations.  A timeless soul would have no need to be old or young but if you want to be a soul at a groovy party in the afterlife, then I guess all the souls have to be beautiful and a certain age.

Asking for opinion on what happens after death, you do know it will be opinion that you get.  Unless in the ethereal afterlife there are souls using the internet?  If they do, then they might have nothing better to do than come here to answer your question.  I might have to come back later to see if any have.  But how will I know that it is a post life soul with words of wisdom and not a pre death soul yanking my chain.

In case they do come here, I have written a little poem with some more questions for them.

Is the soul blue, or is it black?
      Are you dead forever or do you come back?
      Do you eat soul food or fade away?
      Do souls have work or do they play?

(C) 2012 agantum

11. Mike Marks profile image57
    Mike Marksposted 11 years ago

sheeeesh... what a loaded question... ok, I don't think we really have bodies, we just have avatars we project with our thought about our physical condition... nor do I appear to myself the same way I appear to you... I imagine myself, experience an avatAR OF me, ACCORDING TO MY THOUGHTS OF ME, while you imagine me, have an avatar of me in the energy bubble that is your self and universe, according to your thoughts of me... so if dad and son reunite somewhere on the otherside, son may say "Dad, why are you still looking like you're 80?" while Dad sees himself as 25, and just as we see according to our own thoughts, we also hear according to our own thoughts, Dad might hear those same words spoken by son as "yo Dad, you look great like a 25 year old.".... Kapesh?

1. somethgblue profile image73
      somethgblueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For a loaded question you answered it well, which leads me to believe that your articles are also well written and so another fan has been harvested as now I will venture to your page looking for enlightenment . . . got any?

12. Neil Sperling profile image61
    Neil Sperlingposted 11 years ago

If all goes as I have planned, I will have a pair of sunglasses just like the ones you have on in that pic of yours..... if it does not go as I have planned, no doubt you will be wearing high heals and a bra.... LOL 

Actually I know the answer to that question,,,,, but  will wait for the required 62 more years I have left here on earth....  and then I will show you, rather than tell you,

it will be so much more fun!

I'll be waiting smile

2. Neil Sperling profile image61
      Neil Sperlingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

*chuckle*  --- Patience is not my strong point!

13. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

Since I had  my own encounter of life after death. I was also able to come back and talk about it. I do not recall anyone being old because in heaven there isn't time, age, etc. Its a harmonious place and so peaceful.

When the Bible talks about ' Heavens' we are on another plateau a place that is brilliant and happy. Nobody has gone directly to 'Heaven' except for another disciple.

Our bodies are transformed and do not look anything like what we are walking around in. If you can find my hub you should read about it. Great question. smile

I will definitely check that out thanks

2. Vegas Elias profile image60
      Vegas Eliasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A very good answer. I am following you on hubpages to read your hub on afterlife.

14. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

Our Life is 150 years if we live the life we are supposed to live as per nature law but we don't.So our life gets shortened as we disobey the nature like smoking,drinking eating animals and getting angry etc,etc.Our life is 22 times in this Iron Age which is comming to an end.and our soul will be scrubbed with all the dirt and filth and taken to the golden age.Our soul enters another one and remembers everything but in another gender that is if you are male you will be born as female and suffer or enjoy as you did to your wife in your previous birth.You will remember everything but as you grow up the change in your environment and people makes you forget things,you must have heard or read some one remembering the past.An end to early life is only if you have killed wantonly some one with a vengeance
    FOR MORE INFORMATION LISTEN TO OR READ BOOKS ON REBIRTH BY INDIAN SAINTS AND GURU'S.IF YOU ARE SERIOUS WITH YOUR DOUBTS,you can also take a vacation and visit http://www.patanjaliyogpet.org
    Just copy and paste in your browser if you do not get the site.
    God Bless you Mr.Brandon Martin..

Thanks for the link... but for some reason it won't open for me.

15. JBeadle profile image82
    JBeadleposted 11 years ago

Provided any of us have a soul... and I choose to believe we do...  I would think the soul isn't a thing you can compare to anything in this existence.  Being human is just a ride in a big cosmic playground.  What we care about so deeply here is probably almost meaningless after death.  I'm nearly 50 now and internally I don't recall feeling any different since my earliest memories.  I've always felt the same more or less except now I know more, have more memories and I run slower year after year.  But what I consider myself is pretty static.  I'm way different than what I was when I was 5 or 10 or 20, etc but I've always felt more or less the same.  If there is a soul I imagine it is probably similar to that experience.

16. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

Souls who live in Spirit choose to show themselves as they were when they were happiest in life. So if the best years of your life were during the early 20's, then even though you die at 89, you'd probably show yourself as a twenty, or twenty-three year old.
    But AEvans is right. There is no time in Spirit. So in a way, a spirit can choose to show him/herself as h/she were at some point in life, but it's only done so that we can recognize him/her. Spirits don't have any physical appearance, only energy - light and vibration combined.

1. jaredbangerter profile image75
      jaredbangerterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This makes me wonder if spirits can take on any form they want.  The bible says demons can appear as angels to deceive, so does this mean when we die we'll be able to look however we want to?

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Remember that spirits are energy, and we are the interpreters. Therefore, we're able to see that energy in terms that we can connect to. A spirit has certain say in this, but it's mostly our perception that changes depending on our psyche.

3. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60

Let us be reminded too, jared and klara, that while spirits may roam in this world n in this life, Jesus said in Matthew 10:28, 'Do not fear those who kill the body but not the soul; rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.'

17. ChapmanHester profile image62
    ChapmanHesterposted 11 years ago

The soul is eternal, they are temporary passengers in these mortal bodies.  They do not grow old, that doesn't mean they cannot wither and die themselves.  There are things that can change the spirit in different ways.  Lets say you kill someone, that changes your soul, now that doesn't mean it is going to wither and die either.  Souls can be good or evil, and they are not necessarily here for the first time either.  A soul can be damaged by forces in this world that shake the person to their core, like if someone has a strong emotional connection to someone and they die, that touches the soul and can make it change.  Lets say people close to you keep dying the soul has a memory to those events, not so much the people but the feeling of the loss of another soul it had bonded to.  Same with if it is an evil spirit and pleasure is gained from killing or hurting people, the memory of pleasure is kept and the feeling of desire to continue that pursuit is kept as well.  It is the same way when you hear of people having past lives and having a devastating incident happen in their past life, powerful moments can live on inside the soul.  It doesn't always happen but sometimes a soul which has had a hard journey, has been constantly fighting to keep some semblance of its original nature and something finally breaks through, the soul can begin to die, and I fear that that is what is happening to a lot of people today, our souls are getting more worn down over time.  We live in a faster pace environment and what we are exposed to in a day is weakening our souls faster than they can regenerate, now that we have a global connectedness to everyone in the world, our soul feels more, and experiences more, and it takes a greater toll on us.  Even though the souls aren't dying per say, they are being weakened and shaken and damaged, day by day but there is a way to regenerate your soul.  Regeneration points throughout each week, where we take a step back and sit and watch water trickle down a stream, or feed ducks, etc.  Things that are spiritually relaxing and calm and take away the interactions in a day down to a minimum, cut the television off, and make time for you and your soul to unwind.

18. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60
    Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 11 years ago

Our soul which is unseen, and is in spirit form, has been in existent even before we were born, as in the power of God on life and on the chosen prophets and all of his elect in this world, in the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Hosea and in Romans, that all of us may be guided towards him, in Jesus, who is the truth, the way and the life, and there is no other way into eternal life except through him.

While in the womb, our shape and form was being formed by God, all in his image and likeness, although unique in every way, in bodily form, we were all one in spirit with God. On earth, with our 'free will,' we are made to chose though, as in this life, we are always tested; 'who is going to be our master,' would it be God in Jesus, or Mammon (anything material or anything of the flesh that will eventually perish when we die) which attracts us into temptation, forgetting where we all have come from. 

And all who have learned to chose Jesus, to believe, follow and be guided by his words and by his light or loving grace, will never die, for by faith, while their earthly body may die, their souls may still live in a perfectly beautiful body free from all infirmities or defects, as they have become pure, devoid of malice, envy, jealousy, deceit, pride and guilt, rather, filled with humility and obedience to God in Jesus, as further cleansed by God's loving mercy, as they all have become true and steadfast in their faith, living in prayer, hope, thanksgiving and in peace,  having been renewed from sinfulness, always speaking of truth and love in Jesus' name, their True Master, and ever strengthened by God's elect, whether living or once again one in spirit with God as they have all been one in Jesus, so empowered by the Holy Spirit to give or shed light to all other faithfuls, or those who have gone astray yet wanting to join and renew in Christ Jesus.

Those who have chosen Mammon, may have to perish in hell, upon judgment by Jesus, where both souls and body are doomed to die.

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image60

Those who have chosen Mammon, may have to perish in hell, upon judgment by Jesus, where both souls and body are doomed to die with their chosen master, as God has once driven Lucifer, Satan and the fallen angels now all bound in hell, and on earth.

2. Brandon Martin profile image61

Yeah, I grew up hearing about this too.

19. Brandon Martin profile image61
    Brandon Martinposted 11 years ago

The point of me asking this question was to get the opinions of people, but as it turned out I got allot more than that. We enjoy life, but no one fully knows what happens to us when we are dead.

Asking this question was my method of gaining insight through the many beliefs of what people feel happens after death. I too have my own speculations, but it turns out just be a million questions because I do not know for sure.

Every single one of you has written a fantastic answer- be it long or short, especially with the big questions I asked. Your beliefs such as what forms we might take, whether or not time stands still and we don't age...  and even the possibility of trying life over and over until we get it right, or our memory does or does not follow us...  You all put sections of the puzzle together.

It's fascinating, kind of like asking if Santa Clause (Christian version)  is real. I will question this until I grow to my next stage, after-life.

More comments are always welcome!

20. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 11 years ago

your "SOUL" is your life force and has nothing to do with how you appear physically.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)