Is the God of the Bible, the same as the God of the Koran, and Bhagavad-Gita.

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Is the God of the Bible, the same as the God of the Koran, and Bhagavad-Gita.

If there is one God, why so many different "scriptures".  Why not just one book that tells the entire history of planet Earth and the entire cosmos?

2. profile image0
    tigresosalposted 11 years ago

To me, God is a creation of human mind. Since in different places and cultures, human mind works differently, God is also different and behaves differently.

1. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How one describes and thnks of God certainly is of human origin.  We nevertheless ponder how it all began.  There are three options, 1) it began from a separate God (Abram), 2) it began as God (Gita and my choice), or 3) it just began.

3. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

Oh let us each answer differently for the One God is truly the God of dviersity. And I have studied and worshipped many places. I have felt the heat of differing doctrines like fire upon my skin. But there is a wonderful Son of God that walked our earth. No religion denies him. My jewish and muslim brothers, question aspects about him. All can debate meanings of truth.

How could one book explain to children, and warrior and priest and farmer and politician and easterner and westerner and northerner and southerner alike. You will be amazed at similarities if you look for them instead of differences.

4. MrMaranatha profile image73
    MrMaranathaposted 11 years ago

No. Jehovah Is Jehovah...  Jehovah is God... Jehovah is a god.  Jehovah is the Highest God... but allah is a word that means god. like us English speakers saying "oh god" or a person speaking Portuguese saying "Meu Deus!!!" (My God!)

Allah just means "god".  It is a generic term and means whatever or whoever the user is intending when they say it.
    You can say it and mean Jehovah.. or you can say it and mean any other god that you are intending when you utter it...  It just means "deity".

1. marwan asmar profile image67
      marwan asmarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. Allah is God, the Almighty, not just any 'god' as you say, he is the supreme being, master of the universe and above the universe, he is the maker and doer of everything, he governs our life, and He is the one we turn to for help

2. MrMaranatha profile image73
      MrMaranathaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you disagree with me.. then I suggest you do a quick search on the word "Allah" and its meaning.   Allah just means "God or god"  it is not a Name for a god or God.

3. Darrell Roberts profile image71
      Darrell Robertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Logically on God can be God. Allah has to be Allah.  Krsna must be Krsna. Jesus must be Jesus and so forth.  In absolute terms the person, place, or thing, must be what it is no more or no less. Keep in mind there are partial incarnations.

5. profile image0
    probyte2uposted 11 years ago

I think it is for us to figure out which God is the truth. Do some acid test on the scriptures whether they can answer all the question?
    Where we come from?
    What purpose we are here?
    Where we will end up?
    Whether the books or prophets words become the truth?
    Can it explain this world at the moment?
    What impending doom or safety that lies ahead?
    What happens to the dead?
    Can everything in this world come from nothing?
    Can one ultimate big bang started created everything, who created the big bang? Where did the mass for big bang came from?
    Sun's fuel is very limited? So certainly life in this planet is waiting for extinction? Can we find another planet that sustain our growing population?
    Did mankind ancestor was chimpanzees and monkeys?

Interesting question ! Good luck with your quest to find the truth !

Thank you for you comments. So many questions, not enough conclusive answers.  I guess that is why there is faith. smile

6. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 11 years ago

Yes and no.  The God of the Bible is a separate entity from Nature, while the God of the Bhagavad-Gita is Nature, in a manner of speaking, so, in that case no.

If you go back to near the beginning, there were a whole bunch of begats in the Bible until you get to Abram.  From Abram came two sons, one son led to Judeism (from which sprung Christianity and the Bible), the other to Islam.  So, in this case, yes.

7. Rastamermaid profile image65
    Rastamermaidposted 11 years ago

There are many differents scriptures and well as many different religions. Making this a very difficult question to answer.

I'll say this,one needs to have faith and believe in something,especially when your spiritually,morals and intergrity lie.

I'm a very firm believer that if you don't believe in something,you'll fall for anything.

I have friends of many different ethnic and religions upbrings.We respect each other and all know that there is a higher power that has us here. What you chose to call your higher power is on you.

Your religious,spiritual journey is just that "Yours!"

Nice I think along those same lines.  faith isvery different from knowing! The question is difficult, thank you for your answer.
      Best wishes.

8. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 11 years ago

I do believe it is. In describing God, people of all religions refer to an entity of divine power. All peoples refer to God in similar ways, having similar powers and representing similar morals and ethics. It does not matter that they look differently in peoples' minds (sculptures, icons, etc); what matters is the essence, which is the same.

9. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

Without a doubt, there is only One. I think it is because the illumined ones saw the God they can relate to and that is what they reported, with fidelity to the others.

The answer to the other part of your question is not easily presented..

10. skgrao profile image65
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

The God in Bible,The God In Koran and Bhagavada - Gita are the same if you want the proper answer to your question you can post it to the following Guru:-
    Sri Sri.Ravishankar Maharaj
    The Art of Living Internationl Center
    21st Mile,Kanakapura Road,
    Udayapura
    Bangalore - 560082
    Phone - 0018032722473
    E-Mail - info@srisripublications.com
    www.artofliving.com
    Yesterday I met him and the same question was asked by a visitor to his Ashram,he said that when he was in Pakistan some body there asked him the same question and his reply was something like this :-
    You Eat Bread,Roti,Kulcha,Nan,Parota,Samosa,Wheat Halva and so many preparations all made in wheat only. Why dont you eat only one varity of Roti,God has made so many fruits all are sweet,If you want sweet fruit why dont you eat only one fruit.
    God is one in different forms you have a choice to choose so you have choosen one God.You have a choice even now.Take it or have it your way.
    THE VISITOR TOLD GURUJI SRI SRI RAVISHANKAR that nobody had told him the way he told.

Very insightful. This Guru seems to be an interesting person.

11. watergeek profile image95
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

Of course they're the same. There are different books because there are different languages. And the different cultures focus on different aspects of life. You know how whatever you start learning, there's always more to learn about that topic? So the aspects of God that a culture finds most relevant are the ones they learn most about, and their writings and teachings reflect that.

Then there's the whole ego-centric way that people look at others. I'm better than you or our culture is better than yours. So we say, "Oh, we worship one God, but you have all of these other ones. You must be inferior." But meanwhile we have angels and saints and devils with names for each one. Same as the other cultures with their differently named "Gods". We just label ours as good and theirs as bad or somehow "less valid than," when really they're all the same.

God, Allah, Great Spirit, Wakantonka, Krishna, Gaia, Zeus, Apollo - all the same God, different languages - perhaps different physical characteristics to describe them, but that just reflects cultures too. We don't know what God really looks like.

Very nice, God is so vast, that is the fun part of studying about the topic, always something more to learn.  Best wishes.

12. profile image0
    lambservantposted 11 years ago

The God of the Bible is a Triune God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Yet He is one God. Here is a very simple explanation: http://www.everystudent.com/forum/trinity.html

As to your second question, the Holy Bible does indeed tell the entire history of the planet Earth and the entire cosmos. The very first book of the Bible, Genesis, tells about the beginning of the world, how God made it, the first people and animals he created, how sin came into the world, he describes the earliest civilizations and societies. The entire Bible spells out the plan God has for man.  That plan is that all might be saved. In other words, that man would be made right with God by accepting the what Jesus (God) did on the cross, which was to take the punishment for mankind's sin, so we might be able to go to heaven and be with him forever. To be saved only requires four things: 1. to acknowledge that we have fallen short of what God wants us to do. 2. That we turn away from that sin, 3. That we ask Jesus to forgive us, 4. Ask Him to come live inside of us and follow Him.

Hope that helps.

1. cam8510 profile image93
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

"the Holy Bible does indeed tell the entire history of the planet Earth and the entire cosmos."Really?It tells the ENTIRE history of the planet Earth and  cosmos?Your Bible must be huge.Mine refers to the partial history of the Milky Way Galaxy.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All other gods were invented by some man claiming to have divine message from the One true God and therefore trying to make God into a one size fits all.

13. OneFineG467 profile image59
    OneFineG467posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7013153_f260.jpg

First why we all don't look the same and our geographical and historical background are very different..Look at the chinese temple, persian mosque and cathedral church even the architecture is different as the people hence the people perception of their God and scriptures suits them.

If you see the history the world got influenced with each other culture and religion only through war and quest for power not through peace and mutual appreciation of each other religion. I have just pointed out the existing fact.

Personally i believe if you find a religion or culture that can make you evolve into a better person then you can go for it.

nice answer, I think if you find a home in a religion or community you should do your best to grow at all times.

14. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

The answer to this question will depend upon you beliefs or your knowing.  If it depends on the former, then the chances are it will be a different god than that of others who do not interpret the word as you do.

Work on knowing.  Once you know, you won't need to ask the question.

15. krishnnaa profile image41
    krishnnaaposted 11 years ago

I have discussed this question thoroughly in my hub
    http://krishnnaa.hubpages.com/hub/ARE-T … SAME-TOPIC
    So please go through my hub

16. rajan jolly profile image94
    rajan jollyposted 11 years ago

Is there a God? How many Gods are there?
    Why are there so many different Holy scriptures? A few personal views on these intriguing questions, read on... read more

17. karthikkash profile image83
    karthikkashposted 11 years ago

Is this question out of curiosity or something else? I think any learned person in the 21st century should understand that there is only one god/gods in this universe (I am excluding atheists), irrespective of religion. Different sects in different parts of the world worshiped the same god/nature. Due to reasons, they gave different names and eventually different practices to venerate the same god started. Naturally "religions" were formed for people practising this particular way, that's all. Every religion says the same thing: All the gods we see are just different forms of the same god.

I disagree, every religion does not say the same thing.  I have read so much scripture that I cannot agree with you statement.  Example: Krshina claims to be God of all. Jesus Claims to be the son of God. Mohammed claims Allah is God. Not the same.

18. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

I believe that religions are man's attempts to reach out to God.  Each religion has defined their god and these definitions at times coincide and at times contradict.  That is what it looks like from man's perspective. 

God, on the other hand, simply sees men attempting to reach out to Him.  The One True God accepts the desires and efforts of any man to have a relationship with Him. 

So, the answer to the question is that it depends on perspective.  Man's perspective says no, these gods are not the same.  From God's perspective, all men who sincerely reach out to a god, are reaching out to Him. 

This does not mean that the True God has revealed Himself in many different ways.  These varying ways are man's ideas.  But God understands the desire of men to know Him and therefore the tendency of men to create religions.

nice answer very thoughtful.

2. cam8510 profile image93
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Darrell Roberts.  I do believe we have a revelation that tells " the entire history of planet Earth and the entire cosmos" and that is nature itself, accessible to every man of every generation in every place on earth.

19. Mazzy Bolero profile image68
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

If there is a God, then He is always the same, but our conceptions of God differ because people are not the same. The way we see God reflects our own culture and values.  For instance, with Christianity we replaced an image of a vindictive, demanding God with a forgiving, loving God. That's a change in our way of seeing life, not a change in God (not that we always live in accordance with it). It always saddens me when I hear people going on about "The Jewish God". "the Christian God,"  "the Muslim God", and using this supposed difference as a pretext for hating others.  If you believe in monotheism, by definition there can't be all these different Gods!

Thank you, this seems like a logical response.

20. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 11 years ago

simple because god is human made concept and scriptures are human product...

21. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

Yes God is one though he in known in many names.  He being the supreme power is and must be One!

22. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 11 years ago

The only way that would be true is if God was schizophrenic or desiring to create confusion amongst his creation. When comparing the scriptures of each of these religions, some similarities are presented (which would be expected), however the divergences are more revealing. They do not present the same God, neither in temperament, purpose, holiness, or will for man. They are not the same.

Hmm whe I was younger I thougt God was a schizophrenic as well, so I could understand you view.  However, just like we have the ability to evolve, and change over time. God must be able to do so also.

23. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

I believe there is one God with different interpretation.

We all human beings are all alike but with unique features and functions.

1. whonunuwho profile image51
      whonunuwhoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

a good answer to those who would question,edhan.

24. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

The God of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) is the same God, the god of the Bhagavad-Gita is a different God and has no relationship to the God of the Abrahamic religions.

I do not understand how you can conclude this if God is All pererful, all time and space, All knowing etc. God would be connected to everything at all times, and have a relation ship with all.

25. garage-remotes profile image39
    garage-remotesposted 11 years ago

The one God/one scripture solution would only work if everyone were from the same culture. I think one of the main reasons there are so many versions is so that the message applies to people of all backgrounds.

Wait a minute.  If a great author could write a book with many characters and cultures, why God can not create such a world easily.  If God makes entire Galaxies, Stars, Planets etc.

2. Pollyannalana profile image61
      Pollyannalanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We today who claim this God of the Bible are far from the same culture but we have the same words that will always be there for anyone in any culture at any time.

26. whonunuwho profile image51
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

All those who believe that God was  and is the Creator of all and the benevolent force, that is an all powerful and protective bulwark, are l to believe the same.

27. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Thank you all for your answers.  I think that there is one point of origin for all that we know in material nature.  I think that this source hold all intelligens and is connected to all at all time, past, present, future.  I also think that beyond planet Earth this source or God for lack of a different word, is indeed omipotent, because it controls material nature as well as spiritual nature. 

The granduer of the cosmos is perplexing. It blows my mind.  We as humans belive that God created the planet and the Universe (except atheists), so how could there be a different God, there can only be one.  I think that my friend Cam8150 has a really nice answer.   

I ike big numbers that is what attracts me to the Vedas of Ancient India.  The creation story is hard to believe, I wil admit that, but that is where faith comes into play.  The Supreme Lord breaths in and out universes, and one of His breaths is the equalivanent of 311 trillion 40 billion years. He also populates the universe with us the individaul souls.  In addition, Karma is the what keeps things balanced in material nature.  When I read that in the Bagavad-Gita As It Is, written by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, I was awe struck.  Because that is what I was looking for.  God that is so unbelievable that you have to have faith because you will never know, unless God reveals information to you.

I could ramble on further, but I would like to that you all for you sincere attempts to answer this question, it s appreciated.

Best wishes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)