Is it possible that our earth is actually hell?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (40 posts)
  1. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

Is it possible that our earth is actually hell?

I have difficulty believing that there is a reason for our world being in the shape that it is in other than we are being tested.  What if being banished to hell is not for an eternity, but for what we perceive a our lifetime, a place where we have to learn from our mistakes.  If I were to believe in the bible saying that Armageddon is going to come and destroy all evil, what if we are already evil and living on this planet is simply our hell from a past life?

2. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

No. Hell would contain no rack of lamb, no aged Bordeaux, no beautiful girls ... well, you get the idea.

1. lone77star profile image71
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like it. Rack of lamb, aged Bordeaux and my beautiful wife. But hell is more a state of spirit (and mind) than a physical place. Gen6:3 talks of God leaving us some day because man is "also" flesh. The bodies will be left behind. Attachment is hell

3. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7047437_f260.jpg

Just as there are 7 heavens, there are 7 hells according to medieval thought - that's where the  term 'middle earth' came about.  I think some people are hellish, that they make there own hell with weird and awful ways to gain 'pleasure' such as B&D & S&M.

Other's are born into it without a choice.

Earth is a prison planet according to the founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard but that guy is a total idiot. (Xenu)

And you've studied his work extensively? @ptosis, you frequently say some profound things, but this is not one of them. Hubbard had a big ego, but he was also a genius at what he did. There's a lot more to Scientology than you know.

4. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

This line of thought is much more rational than believing there is a fire pit where bad people will burn forever. I am not a God believer but the concept of heaven AND hell can all be right here on earth. We each create our own heaven and hell and it is impacted by others and their choices.

5. unvrso profile image84
    unvrsoposted 11 years ago

It is possible! Being subjected to a physical body and all inherent calamities that stem from having acquired a human body can make one think that hell is part of the cycle of life of every human being.

6. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 11 years ago

lmfaoooooo what a question...... as this response should give you my answer!  Although this plain is hellish there are those that actually make the time that you spend here quite memorable.

7. Dustin Staples profile image61
    Dustin Staplesposted 11 years ago

I love the notion! You should watch "Waking Life", by Richard Linklater. The last philosophical stance posed: the world is one continuing distraction from God asking the question 'will you accept me' and us continually rejecting him in this hell we know as earth.

"Waking Life" is a powerful movie. But I think it was his dream after death. Trapped in a false awareness, jumping from one conversation to another. Profound stuff, but trapped nonetheless.

8. mintinfo profile image64
    mintinfoposted 11 years ago

The Earth is not Hell but our Spirit knows of such a place. That place is the surface of the Sun. The turmoil that the Earth is going through is a result of increased electromagnetic radiation in the Sun. Sirius A will stabilize our Sun once the new age begins.

9. dghbrh profile image81
    dghbrhposted 11 years ago

Life and world is as you see it. If you want to live in paradise, the world and life now and very much here is just will be paradise for you, no pun intended here. In a serious note, its a state of mind that we create our own hell and heaven. That is what is my personal view although. I purely do not believe that this world we are living now is not hell and we have every potential to make a heaven on earth provided we go ahead is positive path to spread happiness around.
    Good question.
    Thanks.

10. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7048680_f260.jpg

I think any place can become similar to H-e double hockey sticks if indeed God is excluded or absent. I know this is debateable and yes, I think it may even been contrary to some religious doctrine. Please bare with me, we can indeed escape this H-e-double hockey sticks on our planet; therefore, I think it is something a "wee-bit" less than H-e - double hockey sticks. 
    Thus, in conclusion, our earth can resemble H-e-double hockey sticks when God is excluded or absent; yet because we have the ability to escape it, I think it is not H-e-double hockey sticks...
    I must go play hockey now...

11. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

This Earth s not hell according to the Vedas.  The planet is in the middle of the pack.  There are places where people really have worse suffering to endure because of the karma that they have created in this life and previous lives.

There are also planets in this universe where people have mystical abilities and enjoy like"demigods" for lack of a better term. I like that idea better so I try to e as nice as possible, patient tolerant, loving to all living beings including animals. This is why I became a vegetarian, I do not want the karma for eating meat.

Best wishes.

12. OneFineG467 profile image60
    OneFineG467posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7048988_f260.jpg

No i don't think our earth is actually hell.....we are still making and watching movies like Ice age 4, Madagascar 3d and Kungfu panda 2..we won't get chance see these movies in hell.

13. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Whether hell or heaven depends on you. If you do your part to preserve living things and promotes goodness, then it is like heaven.

But if you are always negative and doing all the bad deeds then it will likely be like hell. So, good or bad depends on yourself.

Whether the earth is going to be hell or heaven depends on individual living on earth and doing what is good to be in heaven or bad to be in hell.

14. profile image0
    danielabramposted 11 years ago

The world we live in is based on our perception. Reality is a creation of the mind. You determine whether our earth is hell or not.

15. aviannovice profile image85
    aviannoviceposted 11 years ago

Amazingly enough, I asked myself the same question years ago.  To hear about people dying horrid deaths, children dying of cancer(the innocents), and things being done to animals that are unfathomable, I question humanity.  It appears to me that we might make our own personal hell, and might have to live lives in order to redeem ourselves.

1. puregrace profile image68
      puregraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We humans make the chaos, try as we will not to, but God is on top of it...He wants us to trust in something outside of this chaos - Jesus. One day, He will destroy the earth as we know it, and make it into the new heavens and new earth.

16. caulfli profile image57
    caulfliposted 11 years ago

Mark 9:47,48
    hell, where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
        and the fire is not quenched.’

17. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

From everything I've learned, Earth is neutral. Just like a gun, there is no evil in the object -- only in the intent of the user or inhabitant.

Ego is the real "hell." Ego is the matrix of dichotomies -- action-reaction, good-evil, generous-selfish, confidence-doubt, which trap the spiritual children of God in these temporary, Homo sapiens bodies.

Without ego, the spirit remains awake and conscious even after bodily death. With ego, the spirit depends upon their human body for all of their consciousness. These bodies are the only way for the spirit to escape their entrapment in physical reality.

If you've ever been outside of your physical body, you'll know what I'm talking about.

When ego is entirely subdued, you're filled with invulnerability, love, responsibility, humility, and perfect confidence (faith). That's heaven. When you're with ego, you're vulnerable -- either a victim or a perpetrator.

There's an old story of a monk and a samurai swordsman. They meet one day on a lonely road. The warrior asks the monk, "What is heaven and hell?"

Immediately, the monk berates the warrior. "You scum. You idiot. You don't know anything. You wouldn't understand if I told you."

At the insult, the warrior became enraged. He drew his sword and raised it above his head.

The monk looked up, smiled and pointed at the warrior. "That's hell."

Like the wind had been knocked out of his sails, his arm dropped slowly to his side. His face, became soft and thoughtful. His eyes sad. His arm weak. There was a look of calm serenity on his face. He had realized that he was creating his own hell.

"And that is heaven," said the monk.

Christ said that the kingdom of heaven is within you. As a spiritual child of God (not a Homo sapiens body), this is exactly true. And so, hell can be within you, too. It's a matter of choice.

18. Martin-ddp profile image82
    Martin-ddpposted 11 years ago

For a lot of people it is hell. Just go to some parts of the world and you will find people who never have a day's happiness in there life. Than you have people who only know happiness. So were are we hell or heaven and who picks which part of the world we live in. And maybe it is down to a past life. Maybe in a past life you and a lot of people on this site were good in a past life. Why else are we able to sit and read through this when othere people are at this moment are watching there child die of hunger. It is one messed up world really.

19. ercramer36 profile image92
    ercramer36posted 11 years ago

I heard a pastor say this: "If you are unsaved, this earth is the only heaven that you will ever know.  If you are saved, this earth is the only hell that you will ever know."  I think there is a lot of wisdom in that.

This world is in the state that it is because of sin.  It is a fallen world that slowly grows darker and more evil by the day.  The only hope for people is to accept the free gift of Jesus' death and resurrection as payment for our sins before it is too late.  Once we die, our choice is locked in and can never be changed.  If you do not know Jesus as your savior, I urge you to repent of your sins and put your faith in Jesus to save you.

Amen!

20. dobo700 profile image61
    dobo700posted 11 years ago

Some days it actually feels like it is.............

1. profile image0
      vonda g nelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shit...you have to actually "focus" on keeping your behind from getting burnt.

21. puregrace profile image68
    puregraceposted 11 years ago

I am amazed at all the different responses you got! No wonder no one knows for sure what to think - there are so many possibilities people have come up with that have no basis to them. The answer to your question can only be found in the book written by the Creator who is outside of this earth - in the Bible. Hell is much worse than anything we can imagine. It is all the anger of God poured out upon us forever. But there is a way out and that way is in the Bible - believing that God sent His own Son to be the Substitute for us, the only perfect One who obeyed all the commandments for us, who lived a life without sin for us, who took all the wrath of God for us! who went back to heaven for us! who sent the Spirit to live in us to comfort us and make the Bible more and more clear to us! who promised He is preparing a place in heaven for us! and who intercedes on our behalf to the Father continually for us! That is Heaven. We already in heaven in a sense because being in Jesus Christ, it's as if we are there, because He is. All His riches are already ours, and we are loved by the Father as if we are His actual children, brothers and sisters with Jesus Christ. "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved."

1. ercramer36 profile image92
      ercramer36posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen!  Well said.

2. profile image0
      vonda g nelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

R you serious when U say that we R already in "heaven".  Are we mentally there or....?!?!?  "Words of encouragement" tend to sound good until the reality of all that's "unheavenly" presents itself.  btw:  Most of which won't put a smile on your face!

3. puregrace profile image68
      puregraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup, people who trust Jesus are already in the sense that Jesus, their substitute, is already there. Some call it the "already-not yet principle."
      You like it? I am grateful!

22. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

This question is about rationalizing the possibity that we have already earned what ever fate a god or other deity has determined we deserve.  The Bible says that heaven is already full and that the next realm for his children are a heaven like earth which will only come when this earth that we exist on is purged after Armaggedon.  Why the change?  The Bible is written by man, who knows what is true or what is fiction?  The old and the new testiments are simply revisions that were made to keep up with the times when prophecies did not come true.  If science is correct and we all came from cave men and there is a god, heaven may already be full of cavemen.  If Christianity is correct, heaven is full of the 12 sons of the 12 tribes, which comes to an even 144,000.  So heaven is out for Christians too.  So now we all have an opportunity to live in a heaven like earth if we follow the criterion set forth by the bible.  But this heaven like earth has yet to be created because the Christian God has yet to send Jesus back to earth to clean up the place for the "good" Christians.  Which means that somewhere there are a whole lot of souls waiting to get to the heaven like earth.  Now if there is already a hell, which our earth could be already in place and in use, why would there not be a new heaven like earth ready as well?  Why doi Christians have to wait for Jesus Christ to return to earth to clean the place up and make a few renovations.  Apparently, a third of the earth needs to be totally destroyed before it can be used as a heaven like locality.

23. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 11 years ago

When watching nature movies with animals in their natural habitat the earth seems more like a paradise.  It looks beautiful and amazing.  When watching movies based on true events where people committed mass murder it make the earth seem more like hell.  However people live on the earth.  It is not hell.  There are just some bad people on it along with the good people.

24. Penny G profile image62
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

No but it sure feels like it sometimes doesn't it. GODpromises it get rid of all this crazy world and give us a new one. It can't come soon enough!

25. profile image53
    frumpletonposted 7 years ago

I think earth is what the Catholics call "Purgatory".  Life on earth, it is said, is a gift.  Well, if it's a "gift" then half of what you get is like a pretty x-mas papered box with a bunch of unpleasant surprises in it.  It's like getting a fruit basket but it's got some rotten apples in it.  I think the "testing" idea is maybe valid, but if so, I don't think it's fair to test a little kid by giving it cancer or letting it get abused or something.  In fact, that is just plain mean.  And what about homeless people?  Veterans of wars that suffer?  Seems like life isn't a gift at all -- it's a job you have to finish, like it or not.  No sense in suicide -- you might have to come back and do your life all over again.

26. Emmy Neisler profile image55
    Emmy Neislerposted 7 years ago

I am starting to think as if it just might be and we keep repeating it over and over with the same people over and over.

27. profile image53
    HeWhoKnowsposted 7 years ago

Well, my friend I believe you hit the nail on the head with your Question. Is this reality & experience of life actually the hell that they talk about in the Bible. & In my opinion Yes, it is. Why else would Satan be here on Earth? Isn't he supposed to be in Hell? How can he be in two separate places at once? He can't, he isn't, he is the author of the Majority of the Bible. & What about his demons... Do you smoke cigarettes? If you do, do want to smoke cigarettes? Or would rather quit? Every smoker I know, including myself, wants to quit, but we simply cannot. Some people call it an addiction. I call it demon possession. Same with alcohol & other drugs. We don't want to deal with this hellish reality, so we ingest some sort of plant or substance, which then takes us over & posses us, either a little bit, like 1℅ -2℅ per cigarette or a lot, like heroin 80℅-100℅ possession. With absolute no control over yourself or your life. & If your not in control, who or what is?
    And furthermore, don't you think it's funny or weird that we celebrate Jesus Christ's brutal torture & murder on a cross, that on top of every church looks like an upside down sword. As if to say, if you even consider becoming like Christ, this is what will happen to you. Oh yeah, & what about the whole practicing canabalism every Sunday. We literally taught to eat his flesh & drink his blood, & if we don't really believe that those wafers & wine actually turn into his flesh & blood, we are not true believers & will probably go to Hell.
    Well, guess what? We are already here, & that's actually good news, because it's not that bad. We can bear it. We all experience life & tolerate it. Seeing as this is Hell, & Satan is here, as Ruler of Hell... Don't you think he might have been able to influence the writers of the Bible. & Even tho there is Truth in the Bible, there far more lies. Satan only sprinkled Truth into the Bible, so that you would blindly believe his lies. Like the whole garden of Eden story... What kind of divine, only good, benevolent God creates paradise, puts the first two humans in it, & tells them they can have anything & everything in the Garden of Eden, except for the fruit of this one huge tree that just so happens to be in the middle of the Garden. Why put the tree there in the first place, what kind of a God is that? Oh & then, he gets mad & punishes all of the rest of human history because the brand new innocent human beings tried the fruit. Isn't God all knowing? Didn't h

28. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

I know that is a view in some eastern philosophies as well as Gnosticism in the West, that the material world is impure and heaven is abandoning it. It is not a majority view, though, because it eliminates hell as a punishment for misdeeds though it keeps heaven as a reward, and the strongest ideologies have BOTH.

29. Bildad Hawi profile image60
    Bildad Hawiposted 6 years ago

Life is an experience both internal and external. The outside world impacts our way of life either positively where we develop our mind, stay healthy through advancements in medicine and acquire material needs to comfort us or negatively where the actions of other people harm us or our loved ones physically or those in power make decisions that limit our development therefore creating a life of hell. The internal on the other hand is how we feel about ourselves and it can be paradise despite the prevailing circumstances.
    Life being hell as a punishment for past deeds doesn't hold ground because consciousness has to be in continuation. If you can't remember your past life then you are a different person. Consciousness has to be continual for reincarnation to be believable.

30. Beyondabelief profile image59
    Beyondabeliefposted 22 months ago

I believe humanity think to much into this Christ and religion subject. On a spiritual point of view I think all of it is just relating to your individual self. Understand that your are God, because you are you own creator. When you want happiness. You have to create happiness by surrounding yourself with the necessities to do such that. Meaning people and things can not make you happy, it is a task you have to create on your own. Lets look at when a person is in need of better finances, he/she has to create ways to obtain those better finances. It was John Stuart Mills who said "happines is created through setting smaller goal, so you can reach a bigger goal. And once you have met these goals not only do you make yourself happy, but you make the people around you happy." Well lets look at "Love". When you want love, again it's something you as a individual has to create. Meaning it is not something that is found, but something that as humans we have to work at.
    One other fact we need to cope with is Heaven and Hell.. maybe just maybe there is no heaven and Hell that we as humans speak of. Maybe heaven and he'll are just a quality of living. Like how we deal with pressure in our day to day living. maybe they are just tools needed to adjust to the living conditions of life. Hell is reality stressors. While Heaven is the break/vacation the mind need to bring the rings back together. When I speak of rings what i meant is, if we look at the mind, body, and spirit as being over laping loops of rings, like what the magicians use. When we deal with pressure those rings are floating in limbo which symbolizes stress. So in order to bring them back together you need to take yourself out of reality. This is when meditation, prayer, nature walks or whatever calms you play an significant role in bringing you back to a normal setting. These are tools necessary, so a person can be able to deal with the day to day stressors.. for me, its nature walks, but this shoud be different with everyone.  some humans are in denial of knowing their own therapeutic pick me ups, so they rely on others and their teachings. I think humanity as a whole is challenged with this,  because we do not know our indiviual self. Remember, in the missing book of Thomas,  it quotes "You do not become one with God, Until you become one with yourself." So I think we are misguided on this subject, and we hold on to the myths of it all because, we want to be Godly so bad that we'll do anything to do so and yes their are those out their that use it to their own benefit.

31. Juliet Christie profile image68
    Juliet Christieposted 22 months ago

We humans are something else just because we do not understand a concept we say it does not exist
    Everyone has his or her opinion  about hell and heaven .according to your opinion we are God so we can create and destroy ourselves.
    I have not read .deen.or heard of anyone who kill himself and then recreate  it. that is the ability of a real God.
    I do think that earth will  become hell until is is destroyed. But it will be recreated  because the earth itself can be purified  and regenerated.
    As the about person  says we occupy or thoughts with ideas that has no benefit to our well being
    Simply put we think too much

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)