Why is it so important to some that everyone must share their spiritual or relig

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (42 posts)
  1. annerivendell profile image61
    annerivendellposted 11 years ago

Why is it so important to some that everyone must share their spiritual or religious belief?

Or even their lack of belief? We cannot ALL be the only ones who know the truth about life,or God, or the bible yet so many people are convinced that they do know, and what's more, the rest of the world are mistaken and should also believe as they do.They quote the bible or other sacred books to make their point-but that only shows us what THEY believe.  If you believe in A God, (or whatever name you wish to use) is not fighting and hating anathema to that God? If you don't believe in a God, why insist no one else should either?

2. Godzangel profile image59
    Godzangelposted 11 years ago

Faith comes by hearing the word of God.  There is also strength in numbers.  The more people to Believe in God and Believe in Jesus and follow his words, the more strength there will be amongst loving people.  The more people who believe equals more Light.  More Light means that there will be less Darkness.

3. Renee Abbott profile image81
    Renee Abbottposted 11 years ago

I have wonder about that myself, Annerivendell
    I can only answer for me, and it is that I do not need too or even desire. It doesnt matter to me what a person believes in or if they do not. I look more at how they express themselves.

1. profile image0
      vonda g nelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So true.....quoting scriptures and saying all the right words remains exactly that.  Plus I'm not into, neither impressed with ones knowledge of scriptures and who they are as an individual defies their scriptures in addition to their belief.

4. bubba-math profile image57
    bubba-mathposted 11 years ago

That's a good question.  Some people's religious beliefs call them to proselytize, believing that if they don't spread the "word" then their own souls are in danger too, not just the souls of those who don't believe.  Atheists proselytize to combat ingorance that is borne of unexamined religious beliefs, or religious beliefs that contradict established facts.

5. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I think part of it is just the wanting to feel like every one is connected. It's not a bad thing to want to feel connected, but I think sometimes people think the only way they can do it is to all be a part of the same thing. What they don't realized is that we are in fact all a part of the cosmos, this earth, whatever area they live in, their community. However, the beauty of a rainbow is all its different colors. Celebrate each color individually as well as the wonderment it creates when they are all together.

6. tsadjatko profile image65
    tsadjatkoposted 11 years ago

Imagine you witness an earthquake that severs a highway creating a cliff over which anyone traveling the highway will plunge unless they know it is there. Would you just sit there and watch as unaware travelers plunge over the cliff, or would you do everything in your power to warn them they are heading for destruction? Although you may think that the inclination for people to share their spiritual or religious belief is because of their beliefs (and it may be) it is more rooted in a person's empathy and care for fellow human beings. They desire to share with them their beliefs because they believe it will save them from harm and they really care because they feel there but for the grace of God (or Budda, or Alah or atheism) go I. It is true that some religions (and cults for deceptive reasons) command that disciples spread the word but to desire to do that I believe it has to come from their heart, they have to really believe they are bettering you and your life to proselytize you and some people truly have a real experience of the heart, others may think so although they are really deceived themselves..

I like to give the benefit of the doubt to the thought that people who do this are well intentioned even though they may be brainwashed or actually sharing the truth with me that will save my soul, and I thank God that there are people around who, rather than not care at all, will actually go out of their way to offer me what they perceive to be help that I need. Often it winds up that I provide them with help they desperately need.

But in the end we all must realize there are things (and people) we have control of and things we do not have control of and it is not worth wasting a second of concern over those people or things we have no control over.

One last thing I must mention however, and that is that it makes no sense for an atheist (according to their own beliefs) to try to convince anyone of their belief because if life here on earth is all there is it doesn't matter what anyone believes because life has no meaning or purpose...it is just the result of chemical reactions that run their course and end, there is no morality, no future, nothing but chance collisions, and interactions of molecules in a vast universe that exploded into existence from nothing. There can never be any benefit to anyone in converting someone to believe there is no God.

1. profile image0
      il Scetticoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You took the words right out of my mouth.  This is a topic that most people stop at the face value of "someone is trying to shove words down my throat."  But they need to think.  There is a reason people do this other than being right.

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well stated.  I hope you write a hub on this subject, you put this very well.

7. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

Yes indeed a interesting notion, do you say remember to do something or say don't forget to do something. The point being either you are trying to be positive to remember something or negative.

I try to be open minded about all things however I easily fall into the trap of defending my speculation . . . as if speculation requires to be defended.

If everyone is wrong then nobody is right, except me of course!

annerivendellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you  Somethgblue. I personally believe everyone is right! Including you! :-)

2. somethgblue profile image72
      somethgblueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that makes two of us!

8. Beverly Stevens profile image64
    Beverly Stevensposted 11 years ago

People who believe in a god think that they or, usually, their parents were the chosen ones who found the one true religion.  They want everyone to enjoy the benefits that they expect to receive (heaven), so they try to convince us all to believe what they believe.  There are exceptions--those religions that don't try to recruit because they don't want to share their specialness.

The reason people who don't believe try to convince us to not believe is that they don't see any evidence for belief in any god and worry that the god believers will impose their rules on the rest of society or try to harm all people of a different belief because their religious leaders say that all infidels are evil and should be struck down.  We can see a clear example of what religious rule can do to a society in Iran where women, not long ago, dressed like western women, but today they are forced to wear birkas and live under harsh religious rules--that always favor men (in all religions).  Nonbelievers want people to use reason and logic to guide their lives and their decisions, not religious belief systems.

9. Denmarkguy profile image83
    Denmarkguyposted 11 years ago

I believe that very very few are the people who are content with "the unknown." The unknown scares people; makes them feel small and lost; insignificant; unseen. When we call something "God" or "science" and then embrace it with everything we are and call it "fact"... we-- in effect-- put a "known face" on what is essentially unknowable; or beyond our understanding.

When people are deeply attached to their religion... OR their denial of God's existence... it basically "messes with" the foundation on which their entire life is based for them to be open to the idea that something else is "possible." A bit like their world is a surgical "clean room," and any doubts represent a "contamination" that renders the entire room unsafe; useless; invalid.

Some believe that without faith in SOMEthing ("God" or "not-God" or "Joe the Flying Banana"), humans would revert to primitive savagery. We need a "core idea" to base our reality on, or we'll "freak out." Maybe that IS true for some people-- I don't know. Maybe if you're not at peace with yourself, you'd wig out. I can only speak to my own experience... I know who I am-- in the sense that if you brought me irrevocable "proof of God" tomorrow, OR irrevocable proof of "no-God" neither would alter how I conduct myself in the world, nor who I am, as a person. Maybe people with fragile self-identities (acknowledged OR denied) need to have something outside them (God, science) provide a framework for their inner sense of self. I just don't know.

I don't have issues with people of faith, nor people of no faith. But I do have issues with "Religionists" who practice intolerance based on HUMAN INTERPRETATIONS of the alleged word of God. I used to live in a city in Texas, near two major Baptist congregations who were feuding. They both believed in a loving God, but were actively CONDEMNING each other because each "believed" the other was operating under INCORRECT INTERPRETATIONS of scripture. And each congregation believed the other was going straight to Hell. From my perspective, NONE of the unfolding circus had anything to do with God. It had everything to do with HUMANS fighting with other HUMANS over words put to paper by HUMANS who'd tried to INTERPRET the "Word of God."

Then again, it may simply be a genetic hangover from pre-civilized days: There is safety in numbers-- the herd principle.

Interesting questions-- thanks for bringing them up!

1. Shadow Jamesclow profile image60
      Shadow Jamesclowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Nice comment. The unknown, indeed, scares people. They forgot (we all are), that we need to be happy like putting the unknown to our advantage by being excited, willing to be challenged by it.

2. Beverly Stevens profile image64
      Beverly Stevensposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good points, but there is no scientifically minded atheist that would deny God exists if there was irrevocable proof.  NONE!!  This is a misconception put forth by the religious community. An atheist = lack of evidence of a god.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sure there is proof if you only do your homework. There is so much proof out there you would be astounded. And also when these scientist do find more proof, They are not going to admit they are wrong. "Ego" is the most common cause for non-believers

4. Beverly Stevens profile image64

JTomp42--There is proof from what?  The bible?

5. profile image0

No if you would do your homework you will find out their are actually scientists who are leaning toward the existence of God. MANY. Especially along with evolution.

6. annerivendell profile image61

Thank you Demarkguy. Your answer has a lot of truth in it-nicely expressed.

7. Beverly Stevens profile image64

JT --Because there are scientists that believe in a god does not mean there is proof of a god.

8. profile image0

That goes both ways, just because some scientists say there isn't a God doesn't mean that he doesn't exist. Agree to disagree. smile

9. Beverly Stevens profile image64

No, JT, there are scientists who want verfiable proof rather than rely on their feelings or tradition. The evidence that needs to be shown needs to go through the scientific process, a process you must not be aware of.

10. profile image0

I am aware, as well as scientists that are finding God to exist. Google it and study up on it.

11. annerivendell profile image61

JThomp42 and Beverly Stevens. Thank you for your comments, but I didn't mean this to be a forum. Perhaps you could continue your argument (interesting though they BOTH are) with one another directly through your own Hub pages.

12. Beverly Stevens profile image64

JT-It is not scientific proof when one starts with the conclusion that god exists, then attempts to prove it. The bible is no more proof than the koran or L. Ron Hubbard's book for Scientology. You're the one who needs to study.

13. profile image0

Agree to disagree BS.

10. profile image0
    lesliebyarsposted 11 years ago

I do not share my beliefs unless asked. However, as a Christian, The Holy Bible tells us to share our faith and the Word of God to everyone.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen Leslie! It's best to share as the lord leads isn't it?

11. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 11 years ago

When I write of God, the Creator, I wish only to share my feelings and belief. Those who do not wish to share these may simply refrain from reading. I feel obliged to tell the world about the spirit of life and how precious it is and given to us even though we may not truly appreciate or understand it.It is a motivating force of great magnitude and that shared by many in this world that we all are a part.

12. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

No, It is not at all important to follow that practice.  We should respect each religion and never do any harmful to other believers.  Hinudism teaches that practice and thus tolerance is more exhibited in that religion.  True believers in God will never attack physically or orally other religious followers.  It is religious fanatics or mad people who follow the bad things such as terrorism, etc.

13. Junaid Ghani profile image72
    Junaid Ghaniposted 11 years ago

This is because when you know about the truth, it's your duty to share it  with public. If it can not be shared, it is not true religious belief!

14. einron profile image54
    einronposted 11 years ago

We who believe in God feel we should impart the knowledge to others so they can also share the good news. 

Quoting from the Bible to prove a point recognizes the source from a legitimate or superior other than oneself.

Anyone can ignore any article that  does not appeal to him or her and should not be angry with the writer.   Peace!  :Live and let live!.

Thank you, Einron. It's the philosophy of live and let live that led me to ask that question. I appreciate your answer.

15. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

Are you asking a question or giving a lecture?  Sounds like a hub waiting to happen, or a forum.

Fair comment, Duffsmom, but I am genuinely interested in what people answer. Some of the answers here have already given me some understanding of why people feel it necessary that we all believe as they do.

2. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian, our guide is the Bible, we believe it to be a true.  And Christ calls for us to share our faith with others. I have to admit, I'm not very good at that part as it offends so many.  I will share but usually wait to be asked.

16. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

Because the Bible tells Christians to spread the good news of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

17. James-wolve profile image76
    James-wolveposted 11 years ago

I think people share their spiritual or religious belief because they believe that they are on the right path and it s safe for them to embark on the boat they are rowing.If it was better for us to be left alone,God wouldn t have sent those numerous  messengers to guide us.Those who says that this world have no God or ruled by nature is refuted logically and scientifically.

18. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 11 years ago

Sad for them, but so many people are so closed minded and only cheating themselves. Many times they try to bring you into their beliefs because they think they are the only one that can be right. Control issue, I guess. But, I think mostly it's because they are so insecure in their own beliefs, that they feel that those beliefs are being threatened, or worse yet, challenged. They fear of the idea that a belief they have had for some time may be false or incorrect. So it's easier to push a belief on you than to take the chance of having to admit that maybe their belief was based on bad information or something and now needs a good long second look.

19. brblog profile image81
    brblogposted 11 years ago

I think some of these answers speak for themselves and also highlight the problem - if you know what I mean.

You're right, brblog. That's exactly what I'm thinking. The answers are great, I've really learned something

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)