What's Your IQ?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

IQ = 100 MA/CA.

MA = Mental Age
    CA = Chronological Age

You could be 40 and have the mental age of a 16 year old...so in your estimate, what would be your IQ? An IQ test is most reliable though, I scored 155 (Which makes Newton and Einstein smarter than I am, gnats!!!) from my last test (like 2 years back)...what's yours?

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never done and IQ test before. I'd probably be average.
      Intelligent, NOT.  smile

1. aka-dj profile image66
        aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have goota be MORE than that.
        Besides, they (I mean THEY!!!)say that EQ is far more important than IQ. big_smile I know you have lots of EQ cool

1. Lady_E profile image62
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm EQ? That's a new one. smile

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was in Mensa when I was in College does that count?smile

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've heard of Mensa does that count?

3. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'm above average hehehe near gifted, ohh, youre genius fierycj... 140 above is genius if my memory serves me right...

4. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if these tests (which keep flashing on your screen on any website you visit) are real. I still took one of those and got the score of 135. Never paid attention to it though. smile

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

fierycj, it's not as simple as that because a person's mental age "stops" (for the most part) around 16 (some say 14).  After that a person's mental age may increase some, or vocabulary may improve; but the "main mental age" has already been reached. 

To the best of my understanding, an adult's IQ is determined by testing, seeing where their test results fall as compared with others in the general adult population and with what is expected of people with any given IQ (adult population); and "getting a reading" on how that person's measured abilities compare with the rest of the population.  What scores fall at what place in the bell curve depends on the specific test.

1. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree plus you can up your IQ by practicing for an actual IQ test, besides its not your mental ability, it's how you use it. My brother in law was pretty thick but used the best of the ability he had and now earns double my salary. IQS, forget em !

3. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

never tested

my best guess is about 160 two years ago, 78 now

4. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

FieryCJ are you really interested in anyone else's IQ, or just wanting to draw attention to your own?  Have to say, I will probably be curious enough to check out a few of your hubs, partly because of Irohoner's endorsement and partly to see if the writing is what I would expect from someone with IQ in +4 SD range.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  Do it.

120 in that elementary school test is probably far, far, far more accurate than anything you get from an online test.  I've taken real tests and the online ones and I always score 20 to 40 points higher on the online ones than on the professionally administered versions.

5. Ronaldos profile image61
    Ronaldosposted 14 years ago

I have a 132

6. Jo Woodward profile image60
    Jo Woodwardposted 14 years ago

It isn't a matter of how smart you are but what you do with the intelligence God gave you.

7. Lisa HW profile image62

One thing I know is if I assume I reached my maximum mental age at 16, and then divide my age by it - it isn't good.  lol

8. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

My score is really bad. But that's ok, I'm really smart. No really. I mean it! Come on, why won't you believe me? lol

9. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I once scored at 131. Don't know what that means.

I do know that common sense wins over intelligence every time. I know a lot of very dumb smart people. Bad news for the gene pool.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Common sense is a form of intelligence (or maybe it's better described as one of the abilities that comes with one of the types of intelligence).  The "dumb smart people" you know probably have one type of intelligence but don't have the other type(s) well developed.

1. profile image0
        rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is soooo good to hear. i have tons of common sense, but have genuises in the familly, and boy......do they love to throw that in my face. i detest having to be “poor dumb” me. ugh really, high iq, big fat hairy deal. i know how to cook my own food.

10. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Cant say I recall ever getting the results back. Do you know of any universal test that can be found online.Quite interested to see. I believe my memory has eidetic qualities and makes for easy analysis of technical 3 dimensional data, but have got to admit my short term memory is like a sieve. What was the question again...

11. Lisa HW profile image62

I think a lot of times that not-knowing-how-to-cook-one's-own-food thing is "selective dumbness".   smile

Here's a pretty good link that at least introduces the subject of "practical intelligence" (common sense):

http://www.psychologymatters.org/iqtesting.html

1. profile image0

will read. i didnt mean that they are dumb, i get tired sometimes of being treated like i am of less value because i am more practical, i guess is the word.

2. profile image0

neat. will have to email that  to my sister in law!!! she will most likely say its wrong tho.

12. Lisa HW profile image62

http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Proje … igence.htm

Howard Gardner's "Multiple Intelligences" (for anyone interested).

13. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I have the mental age of a 10 year old. I grew up once. It was the worst 20 seconds of my life.

Time for a pudding cup.

14. Milla Mahno profile image61
    Milla Mahnoposted 14 years ago

IDK. Does it even matter? lol

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

That's a stupid question. sorry

16. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Last time I took the full Wechsler test, I scored modestly well. 145.

17. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

IQ talk is generally a very sensitive discussion - most people tend to shy away from it, or embrace it...however, there is no need whatsoever to adopt the former attitude; truth is, be it as it may, whatever your IQ is, whether average, or below average, one can as well, through diligent mental exercise rekindle the fire of mental prowess and quick wit, and by so doing up one's IQ...It is in my honest opinion to note, that knowledge of one's IQ is essential in adopting a more intellectual approach to matters concerning one's self and one's reality...

This might help in putting things into perspective...

An IQ of 50 or below. Special training is required

An IQ between 50-75. As adults they need help from smarter people.

An IQ 75-105. Usually high-school dropouts who cant cope with school curricula.

An IQ between 105-115. May finish school, but with a passable or below average result.

An IQ above 115. No restrictions.

The range of IQs are of course more than the above listed, and the criteria for categorization are much more complex as have been afore noted by one contributor here, but as I have said, this should not in any way put down ones spirits - IQs fluctuate. And many factors contribute in shaping the strength of one's IQ, environment, study, gender, and even race. Years ago it was shown that one out of ten African-Americans had an average IQ below 59! Now the case is different, African-Americans have been shown to have an IQ at least 15 points above their Caucasian counterparts...a lot of factors played into this - none of which excluded the years of persecution and discrimination against the race, which placed the black minds under mental stress, putting it into work, while those of the Caucasians having attained subjugation, retained serenity of mind...this theory of course has been challenged by many a psychologist...but whatever be the case, it lies within us to each acknowledge our mental strengths, uphold it, if it be strong, and strengthen it, if it be weak...

Thank you all...

(Grand Piano plays as Curtain closes)

1. shamelabboush profile image51
      shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never tried that, but I graduated from college and never had any difficulty in any of the subjects i studied since grade shcool. I think it's gonna be above 120 or 140! Who knows?

1. Valerie F profile image60
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Academic performance is not always related to IQ. A lot of people with exceptional IQ's struggle in school if the school system is geared mainly to teach those of average intelligence and is generally not well equipped to accommodate those who are different.

Oh, and IQ stands for Intelligence Quotient.

2. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Better not be my red curtains !

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(Shrugs shoulders)

18. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I was tested in elementary school, told it was 120. I don't think it matters.

19. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Hmmm nice topic here, I think EQ also plays an important role in humans otherwise IQ will not create remarkable edge at all, this is my opinion though...

20. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I have the IQ of a trailor park bastard and my grammar is piss poor.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never underestimate the IQ of a "trailer park bastard".  You may be surprised where unidentified genius can be found.   smile

21. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

what does the letters I.Q. stand for anyway.  I have heard of it but i do not think i have one

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Intelligence Quotient! I  think

2. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I.Q. = Imaginary Quality

3. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image61
      I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL you do have one, I am sure! the number just does not say much, I don't think!

22. Sasha S profile image67
    Sasha Sposted 14 years ago

Going back to the first post, Fierycj, if you're going to tell us your IQ it might be an idea to link us to the test you took as there are so many IQ tests out there and very few of them will give a genuine result for your actual IQ - a lot are just 'feel good' tests.

If those of us that wanted to were all to take the same test then we could truly compare 'IQs' rather than what is more than likely a mish-mash of results from tests of varying difficulty and authenticity.

Ultimately the only real way to 'know' your IQ is to have it professionally assessed in person; free online tests are likely to be far too short and inaccurate.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would, except like I said, it was years back...however, I agree with you, free online tests are not very reliable, I happen to think I'm smarter...wink

23. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Im a dummy , I am only 133

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)