If you are in a relationship, do you think it is OK to be friends with your exes

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (26 posts)
  1. SoundNFury profile image83
    SoundNFuryposted 10 years ago

If you are in a relationship, do you think it is OK to be friends with your exes?

2. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

No. I don't think it's respectful if you are in a new relationship. It's' too awkward for me.

3. jstfishinman profile image60
    jstfishinmanposted 10 years ago

Regardless of whether we want to admit it or not, there were certain things that drew us into relationships with those, that are now our exes. Those same traits make it easy to cheat with exes because our old feelings can spring up on us.
    I have found that clean breaks, though difficult, are the best with exes.
    The other thing I've found is we continue to be drawn to the same type people until we fix us and learn to love ourselves.

4. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 10 years ago

I don't know, it  depends on what type of relationship we are in. Are we going steady?
    Are there plans for engagement? People have been knowm to cordially split recognizing irreconcilable differences, but had no hard feelings. The maturity of the partners involved is a factor. If the woman is not intimidated, I can maintain female friends without compromising my relationship with 'the one'. Jelousy is such a useless emotion, something that I would avoid in my adult relationships

5. wjlambert profile image65
    wjlambertposted 10 years ago

I believe that it is fine to be friends with ex's but you have to be sure that your current partner is also fine with it.  As it is with all relationships, communication is key.  Be sure that your current partner is aware of your friendship and that all interactions with the ex or ex's are blatantly platonic.

6. C.V.Rajan profile image58
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

Axing the ex is the best. Else tomorrow one may end up with sex with ex and that may make life too compl'ex'!

7. jada67 profile image44
    jada67posted 10 years ago

That is a question of trust and respect. If you are in a relationship with respect trust and honesty, I see nothing wrong with that. I  have been friends with some of my exes for years, there's no more fire burning, it's something once was. A relationship has to be build on totally honesty, if my man trusties me then he knows where I stand...Jada67

8. alphagirl profile image77
    alphagirlposted 10 years ago

I think much depends on how long you dated and why it ended. Your new person has to be secure and know that you did indeed end a relationship and that you are not leaving doors open incase you want to go back with your ex.

I think jealousies arise in situations like that and or perhaps you just can't let go.

I have always believed that in order to be emotionally committed you can't be clouded mentally with an old ex. It is unfair to your new relationship.

Friendship may occur if time apart and growth of understanding, but if you are still intimately drawn to your ex even mentally, you are cheating yourself and the new relationship.

9. rebthomas profile image80
    rebthomasposted 10 years ago

I think it depends  on the circumstances.  If you have children with your ex than by all means be friends.  If you have no ties then it could make it hard on the new relationship.

10. jennshealthstore profile image80
    jennshealthstoreposted 10 years ago

I always say that there should be trust and it should not matter who you are friends with. I know that I could be in a relationship with someone, be friends with my ex with no additional intention but to be friends with my ex, BUT I know that if my current boyfriend was friends with his ex I would not like it. Not because I do not trust him, but we are all human and we are going to feel a little uneasy in situations like that. So I try to think of it as if I was the other person and unless you have children like someone else mentioned, I think it would be best not to be friends with your ex.

11. Neil Sperling profile image60
    Neil Sperlingposted 10 years ago

It is totally 100% okay to be friends with ex's..... there is way to much judgments and jealousy in this world.... it is time for mankind to grow up and realize life is all about change, acceptance of what was and happiness in the moment with an eye on what you want to create your life to be.
    For the kids sake (if there are any) being friends will give them a sense of stability they can not get otherwise.
    I only wish my ex thought like I do, as my kids would have had me in their life as it should be.
    Just because you broke up - it should have NO bearing at all on today. I takes maturity..... nothing more!

12. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 10 years ago

I think its ok but its a case to case basis and how mature your ex, your current and yourself.

I always believe that you must first be friends with the person you have a relationship with smile but that just me

13. ZRMoore profile image75
    ZRMooreposted 10 years ago

No, I don't think that it's ok for a friendship to remain between exes. The reason for that is that one of them will have or either develop feelings beyond a friendship. Then this will ultimately create problems for you. If that person wants to remain friends with their ex then they shouldn't be in  a relationship. The whole situation is disrespectful to the other person.

14. DDE profile image45
    DDEposted 10 years ago

It doesn't always work out being friends with an ex  but depending on  you and your partner if you both agree  it shouldn't be a problem, trust is key but can be complicated if  one  is seeing too much of the Ex. As fine as it may seem things can go astray

15. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Only if your boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/husband is alright with it. You need to keep your ex at an arms length. It is possible to keep them as friends. But if your partner isn't okay with it, then you should have a talk with your partner and fix the situation.

16. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

This question often comes up when one person is fine with being friends with their exes and their mate is unhappy with it. One tries to convince the other that their way of thinking is "wrong" or insecure.
    The truth is there is no "right' or "wrong". There is only "agree" and "disagree". Ultimately everyone is seeking to be with someone who (naturally agrees) with them on what they consider the major things in life. If someone does not want to be in a relationship with a person who stays connected with their exes then they have the option to find someone else who feels the same way as they do. Very simple!
    The only other alternative is stay upset with your mate because they don't agree with you. This may cause the person with the exes as friends to simply take their activity "underground" which surly will cause more trust issues to be raised. The only person you can control is yourself. You choose your own friends, lovers, and spouse.
    There are only two ways to experience joy and peace of mind in relationships. We either get what we want or we learn to be happy with what we have. Only you can decide if it's a "deal breaker".

17. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 10 years ago

Yes. It should be okay in my opinion. Breaking up with your exes do not mean that you can't be friends as long as you remember to treat them as ones.

18. AMAZING THINKER profile image60
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

Sure, there is no rule which says otherwise. just don't invite them to your wedding.

19. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I don't believe so for the simple fact that you are exes for a reason, it didn't work out. I'm friendly when I see an ex but there is not going to be communication online or off. If you're in a relationship, being friends with an ex usually complicates things and often leads to mistrust and hurt feelings when you're in a relationship. I wouldn't want this to be done to me, I make that clear and I make it clear that I expect the same. If the other party doesn't agree then that's a deal breaker for me. There are many people who are okay with it and many who are not, I guess it's a matter of finding the one for you who agrees with your view about this.

20. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

It sounds extremely risky to me. How would you handle that? Would you go out of your way to keep your current partner and ex apart as to look as if you were hiding something from one or both? Or would you take the chance of your current partner and your ex becoming friends also? If so, you had better be squeaky clean because once they would start comparing notes, you would probably end up with 2 exes.
         If you and your ex are really on friendly terms, than he or she would understand that a continued friendship could easily complicate the relationship you are currently in and nothing good can come of that. Your current relationship has a future. Your ex is , well, an ex. If one of you can't agree on this, one of you has more than a friendship in mind.

1. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more, well said.

2. ZRMoore profile image75
      ZRMooreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with you on this one. I don't understand how people can say they're ok with this situation.

3. IDONO profile image60
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

ZR. They are people that didn't think it through and how this could open a can of worms. On the surface, it kinda seems OK. But when you look at all the "what ifs", it doesn't sound so perfect. Actually, the whole idea sounds pretty selfish, u think?

4. ZRMoore profile image75
      ZRMooreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

IDONO - It definitely sounds selfish to me. This is a person trying to have their cake and eat it too. This really defeats the purpose of being in a relationship if you ask me. What person wants their new BF/GF ex hanging around?

5. IDONO profile image60
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They may keep their present and ex hanging around for something to do when person number 3 is busy with their husband or wife. I feel a soap opera comin' on!

21. Toytasting profile image60
    Toytastingposted 10 years ago

I guess it is not okay to be friends with your exes. It further adds to the complexities, one ends up screwing their present relationship because of the previous ones. It is better to focus only on the present relationship, with maintaining no connection with the exes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)