What's the best name you've ever heard for a dog?

Jump to Last Post 201-239 of 239 discussions (323 posts)
  1. profile image53
    nikki231979posted 13 years ago

we had a boxer named mason, how he got his name was we had just got him my father was doing masonary work on the bottom of the house that day, Dad had a bag of portland mortor witch is like cement mix my dad walked around the front of the house to get some supplys out of his truck when he came back there was the pup getting into the cement bag then when my father put the Gurmala witch is used for spreading the mix down the pup picked it up and took off with it the whole time my father was trying to do work the pup was there taking things from my dad or standing on the mortor bags dad said he must want to be a mason because he wont leave my tools alone and thats how he got his name mason

1. JynBranton profile image70
      JynBrantonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We have had a lot of dogs and cats. Usually my pets have all been named after books or video game characters.

2. profile image53
    nikki231979posted 13 years ago

we also found a dog one time some shepherd lab looking dog could never find his owner no tags even after posting flyers and searching local papers and placing adds no luck so kept him did not know his name so had to find one we called him pupp at first till we found a name a friend of ours was like just ask him as he was a 6  year old kid who said that and thought if you asked the dog the dog would tell you his name, we told him ask him? like what the heck we are not asking a dog his name, the dog came running over as if he thought we were calling him he stood there and looked at us like ya what you want, the dog started to walk away and we said to the kid no you ask him, the dog came back as if we called him again, so we called him askum was funny as all heck when we took him for walks people would ask us his name and we would say askum as thats his name and some people would actualy ask the dog his name lol others would be like no whats your dogs name we reply askum, they would say im not asking the dog his name whats his name we said askum had alot of fun with that dogs name being askum

1. JynBranton profile image70
      JynBrantonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That is clever.

3. jenniferg78 profile image61
    jenniferg78posted 13 years ago

My dog's name was Bagel, and he was a beagle. People have said that was corny, but I thought it was cute

4. Turkish2011 profile image61
    Turkish2011posted 13 years ago

Hey i have a dog called NAZ she is a staffy cross doberman. i know i thought weird cross? but she is turning out to be a beauty. i can not walk on the road without someone trying stop me to pet her. she is really quite and gentle at home but when she is out (oh my god) she will not stop one second she is full of energy. the friendship is priceless :-)

5. profile image49
    shirleyuetposted 13 years ago

Hi All,

I joined just so I could share with everyone that my new 7 week-old English bulldog puppy is named MEATBALL!!! I am so excited as she is my first pet ever as of 29 years. My boyfriend is an Italian chef so hence Meatball. We both love to wine and dine and so does Meatball. She is so cute and sweet. So happy.

Have fun with your beloved canines.

6. mrfluffy profile image60
    mrfluffyposted 13 years ago

There is a man in our village who owns Sniff the dog, he is a Basset hound.

7. Mrs. J. B. profile image61
    Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years ago

I have 4 pitbulls and their names are
    Puppy
    Miss Kitty
    Baby
    Nina aka Monkey

However the best name I ever heard was SALIVA

8. DellNixon profile image61
    DellNixonposted 13 years ago

DOG

9. profile image49
    VK0003posted 13 years ago

if it is a boy give it around about your name girl around your family

10. ravko profile image66
    ravkoposted 13 years ago

I rescued my 1st Presa Canario from an unwanted home when he was about 10 weeks old, he was sitting on the back seat as I rambled off names, I can't remember what the other people had been calling him, but I wanted a mighty name without making it sound like he was a mean dog (like killer out of the question), I collect everything and anything that is related to the killer whale, so finally I got it right I called him "Orca"

11. Purple Perl profile image50
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Rock Star !

12. ByChanceTV profile image57
    ByChanceTVposted 13 years ago

"DeeOhGee"

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4847619_f248.jpg

13. clark farley profile image71
    clark farleyposted 13 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4857157_f248.jpg

Our first German Shepherd, her name was Ola

(This photo is the best representation of her personality: "big smile...big teeth")

14. drbj profile image77
    drbjposted 13 years ago

My first dog was named Pudgy - because he was!

15. Bima.Purnawan1 profile image61
    Bima.Purnawan1posted 13 years ago

When I was a child we had a dog named "Dammit".

It was great to go out side and yell - here Dammit, Dammit.

Really, true story.

16. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

my sister has two dogs. they are named "Hey, you" and "What's up?". sometimes "Hey, you" sneaks out the door and we have to run around the neighborhood calling, "Hey, you."

17. VeronicaFarkas profile image68
    VeronicaFarkasposted 12 years ago

I had 2 Huskey-Retriever mix puppies. One was cream and tan colored, with one blue eye and one brown. I named him Kahlua. The other was black and white. I named her Oreo. I also had a Springer Spaniel named Brownie, and a salt & pepper mini-schnauzer named Sprinkles. Now, I have 2 ferrets named Kloe and Kip, and a Carrain Terrier named Brutus.

So, Kalhua, Oreo, Brownie, Sprinkles, Kloe, Kip, & Brutus. =]

18. profile image0
    lifesbetterposted 12 years ago

I have had 2 scottie dogs one black I named Angus and now 1 wheaten colored named Owen

19. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 12 years ago

Personally, I like Kojack, Buddy, Chase, and Fetch

20. Doreen Beech profile image60
    Doreen Beechposted 12 years ago

When I was a child we named my first rabbit Jacko, after Micheal Jackson. He did used to love chasing the other kids round the garden thinking about it now.

21. transinata profile image61
    transinataposted 12 years ago

My neighbor's dog name is LALA

22. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Spot

23. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Q. Where do you find a one-legged dog?

A. Where you left it.

1. Horatio Plot profile image74
      Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha! My mate had a three legged dog. He called it Tripod.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is perfect! big_smile

24. AhalitaMoonfire profile image61
    AhalitaMoonfireposted 11 years ago

I hadn't had a dog of my own in a very long time. But my 2nd mom, (I call here that, because she is my best friends/sister's mom), has this really cute Tebiten Spainale she rescued from a shelter. This little girl was from a puppy mill, and was in horried condtion. However, after being saved, cleaned, and now in a home, her new name is 'Sha'ah'. Which is Hebrew for 'Happy go Lucky'. Which she very much is happy and haves a wonderful new home.

But for a pet for me with a interesting name, was my cat before he died of the flea infestation of the house thanks to my aunt for bring them into my Grandma's house, and making it so bad that it killed three of the five cats we had at the time... Anyways, my cat was a Black and White Tuxsido breed, he was almost all black with a few white patches. I wanted a unique name for him, something of a different language. So since I was in the middle of studying Mythical creatures from Japan, such as their nine tailed fox, I decided to look up Japanese words to name the five cats. The one that became my baby, got the name 'Kage' (Ka-gay), which means 'Shadow'. Which as he grew older until the age 5 he was my personal shadow and wouldn't leave me be. Also he had a dogs personailty, he would do tricks for his food and treats.

25. profile image52
    wideyesposted 11 years ago

Most of my dogs (we have 7) are named after food. We have 5 Chihuahuas, Peaches, Peanut, Honey, Lulu, Minx, and two Labradoodles Noodle and Harvey.

26. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years ago

I named one of my pups, Zebulon Red because of his distinct personality and determination. He definitely was a fighter (fierce in love and true blue) and was super red as a pup (he was a sable sheltie). We had to put him down a couple of weeks ago.

My other remaining sheltie is Mr. Cooper. He is our "beauty" boy and walks and barks like a man who means business but is truly a softy. We named him after the sitcom "Hangin' with Mr. Cooper." Don't call him "Coopie" unless you know him personally--otherwise, all others need to call him "Mr." --Deb

27. Kim Fry profile image60
    Kim Fryposted 11 years ago

I had a friend who had a black lab he named Big Dog.  About a year later, another black lab mix adopted him, so he thought to be clever and name her Little Dog.  He didn't know that Little Dog was still growing and soon grew to be quite a bit larger than Big Dog. Now it's just ironic.

I have an all black cat that adopted me when I was 17.  I was going through this phase where I was interested in the card game Blackjack.  So that's what I named him.  We have long since shortened it to just Jack.

28. Nature by Dawn profile image68
    Nature by Dawnposted 11 years ago

My mom has a dog named Solo too! Although she didn't name her. Poor Solo came from a hoarder family. They actually took the time to name the dog but they had so many dogs that they couldn't care for them properly. Very sad, but at least now Solo is very happy.

I think my dog Sephi has the most creative name. Her full name is Persephone (persefony), named from Greek mythology. Sephi passed away November 2011. The dogs I have now are Maya and Pierson. Maya is named from Matamaya or Mayadevi from Hindu mythology and Pierson is named from Pierson Park which is where I found him. Maya's nickname is Maya Papaya and Pierson's nickname is Mr. Fluffybutt.

29. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I hear dogs called lots of different names when their owners let them off the lead and they will not come back when their real name is called. smile

30. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 11 years ago

I like the cartoon character names mostly that I've heard. Rico is one my friend uses for their pet.  I have to say that this question kind of reminds me of security question asked for an acct. So, I'd be careful people. Yes, I am guarded sometimes.

31. Larry Fields profile image68
    Larry Fieldsposted 11 years ago

Many years ago, my neighbor's daughter named her Border Collie mix puppy Gurr. As in Grrr!

32. Olympia Powell profile image60
    Olympia Powellposted 7 years ago

Few years ago I presented a Siamese kitten for grandma and I called him Joy. That names didn't suit him at all, as he was quite an angry cat.
    Also we had a badger-dog and named him Sponge. He was cute. Besides we had a cat called Caesar.
    But the funniest name for dog I have heard is Corgi named  Baguette big_smile

33. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 7 years ago

I think the best name I heard for a dog is Angus.  Well, our dogs' name is Angus and we name him after a   Scottish popular name. We loved it.

34. Alec Zander profile image83
    Alec Zanderposted 7 years ago

I have had two Bassett Hounds named Lady and Cleo, one coon dog named Dolly, one Jack Russell Terrier named Digger, a black Chow named Eden, a yellow Lab named Pudding, and a black Lab named Crunch. I cared for a puppy for a couple days that I'm not sure what kind it was. He was a swirl of brown and black so I named him Django.

35. merlingo profile image61
    merlingoposted 6 years ago

I propose a name bite wink, I think a even a heard that one

36. Frugal Housewife profile image77
    Frugal Housewifeposted 6 years ago

I'm loving the names.

I called my Jack Russell "Askim"

37. Dense Densyang profile image76
    Dense Densyangposted 3 years ago

My uncle named his dog, "Schatzi." I don't know if it means something. I remember our neighbor telling us it's a German word or something.

38. profile image55
    Mariann001posted 3 years ago

Wow, so many interesting names! My parents bought a puppy and called him Chivas, like Whisky

39. profile image55
    Agafiathemouseposted 3 years ago

Cristina if it’s a girl, Valentino if a boi

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)