First of All, I'd Just Like to Say ... - By John

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ravirajan01 profile image95
    ravirajan01posted 22 months ago

John writes great poems that give us a beautiful " First message."The advice especially telling "winning isn't everything, and it is all about the sport," really drives the point home. Thanks for sharing yet another great piece of work and a great response to Brenda's challenge.

https://hubpages.com/literature/First-o … ike-to-Say

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Thank you, Ravi. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this, and also for your generous comment. Cheers.

2. surovi99 profile image83
      surovi99posted 22 months agoin reply to this

Your poetry contains great content about your drive to be first in everything and excel. In other words, you make the most of everything, feeling good and attaining well. What a delightful approach to life! I find it mesmerizing once more. LOL! This article is one of your best among the best, John. Loved equally all the relevant quotes. Thank you for sharing.

Ravi, thanks for sharing John's post.

1. Jodah profile image91

Rosina, you are always so generous with your comments about my articles.  I really appreciate that and thank you for saying you feel this is one of my best. Kind regards dear friend.

2. Farah N Huq profile image82
    Farah N Huqposted 22 months ago

“As long as you do your best, it doesn’t matter where you finish.”
    What a wonderful reminder!
    Loved every line, John!
    I too believe in that “being the first” goal and sometimes I get too harsh on myself for this is now deeply instilled in me. I think a better way to go toward these goals would be the first line “As long as you do your best, it doesn’t matter where you finish.” Thank you for sharing yet another beautiful piece.

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you dear Farah, I am so glad that you that you could relate to this and that you found that line particularly important to remember. My father did his best to pass on many valuable lessons to me, and that I will never forget. Take care my friend.

3. RozlinMohsin profile image61
    RozlinMohsinposted 22 months ago

Wonderful response to Brenda's word prompt, first, John. I enjoyed reading your hub. Poems are conveying a very good message. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, Ravi for sharing a link to John's article.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

Hello Rozlin. thank you for reading this. Your comment is encouraging and
    I appreciate you taking the time to read my work.

5. Misbah786 profile image86
    Misbah786posted 22 months ago

First of all, I'd like to say that Dear John, you have created a lovely hub that I thoroughly enjoyed.Thank you so much for brightening my day with your beautiful poems. smile

I must be home before daylight,
    or I may be grounded for life.
    — These lines from your poem brings me back memories of happier times.

“The first time it was quite a blast,
    foolish youth for me has passed.
    Now I've learned what to put first,
    don't race ahead in a blind burst.”
    — super strong message in these beautiful lines. smile

The acrostic poem is equally beautiful. I loved where you said, ‘I would swallow my pride and congratulate the winner on their effort.

I also enjoyed the video and the fun fact; thank you for sharing; it is an excellent response to Brenda's word prompt.

Thank you so much for sharing John’s work, Ravi

Blessings to both of you!!

1. Jodah profile image91

Hello Misbah, I am sorry I missed your comment until now. If I am not on HubPages at the time I wait until I get an email notification that there has been a comment and then I check. For some reason I don’t get notifications of each one and they don’t seem to all show up in order. I need to check chronologically as you stated.
      I am so glad that you enjoyed this article and could relate to some lines especially. Your comments are always so generous and kind. Blessings to you my dear friend.

1. Misbah786 profile image86
        Misbah786posted 22 months agoin reply to this

No need to say sorry, dear friend. Everyone of us experiences these glitches every now and then, and I understand. I simply thought that many folks on HP who aren't forum regulars might not be aware of chronological mode. I discovered it approximately six months ago at that time I was highly active in the topical forums. smile

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 22 months ago

Hello John!
    What a wholesome article. You have probably included everything, to highlight the significance of the word, ‘First.’
    As always, a beautifully crafted poem, and wonderful writing to accompany. Inspiring, insightful and thoughtful— I liked reading your excellent response.
    Thank you for sharing. And thank you Raviji for sharing John’s creativity.

1. Jodah profile image91

Hello Chitrangada,
      Your comment is most welcome and I am glad you found the article “wholesome.” I tried to cover a number of firsts in my writing, at first..haha…it was quite challenging but after awhile more popped onto my head and I added to the poems. Thank you again.

7. Pamela99 profile image91
    Pamela99posted 22 months ago

John, You have consistently been voted by your fellow Hubbers to be the best (first) poet. The poems you wrote in this article certainly meet your Hugh standards.

I heard the same things growing up as you did, but who doesn't like being first. You covered the different aspects of being first quite well. I enjoyed reading your article John.

Thanks for posting John's article Ravi.

8. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 22 months ago

Hi Pamela, I am humbled by your kind words. I am sure many people can relate to those words of advice, but we'd all be lying if we at least didn't try to win whatever we compete in. I am glad you enjoyed this article.

9. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 22 months ago

What a beautiful presentation, my Dear John! My soul gets delighted reading your poems.

An incredible response to the word prompt "First". Both your poems and the prose in between everything are so impressive.

During my primary and middle school stage, there always used to be a competition between four of us students - two boys, and two girls. I used to be first most times and the other boy or girl used to be second. The boy used to weep often whenever he doesn't come first.

Thanks for this nice treat, John. And to you Ravi Rajan for sharing this link so that I can comment.

1. Jodah profile image91

Greetings, Venkatachari. It is great to receive a comment from you and such a generous one. I am glad that you could relate to the points I made in these pieces.i had a friend at school who also used to cry when he always came  second in our races. One day I deliberately stumbled to let him win, and he was so happy.

10. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 22 months ago

John
    In your article "First of All, I'd Just Like to Say ..." you tell us how your myse is often inspired by several different types of word prompts.

That photo from pixabay certainly jars my memory.  I remember those first steps on the moon.

Your poem, "First" tells us how in life we  have so many first moments.
    From the time we are born...to our first kiss.
    Then we grow up & decide what we want to put first.
    We understand what we are meant to do & with confidence we will see it through.

In your piece, "First of All, I'd Just Like to Say" you share with us your desire to be first in what you do.
    I can relate to this...i even switched classes in high school if it looked like I might fail...like with typing....i just knew it wasn't going to get me an "A."

You Express the need to be a good winner by always congratulating the one who wins even if it's not you.

Doing your best is good enough, you don't need to always come in first.
    (But that's hard to accept)

Your poem, "There is No Number Two!" is a cute little poem which ultimately reveals the truth.

No one wants to come in second...we all want to win.

Your section on "Fun Facts" taught me something I didn't know.  It's amazing that these songs were played.
    Question...I wonder why?  Were we trying to see if another civilization was there?  And what would have happened if there was?

Your poems are great as always. You've picked the right journey in your life.

It takes alot to wish Congratulations to someone else just after you have lost. 

But as you say...we need to be a good sport.  Tomorrow's another day where we can excel.

Next time..we'll finish first.

Great messages in this work & it gives us another glimpse into your world.

I'll post a link in the word prompt article.

1. Jodah profile image91

Brenda, I always love to read your analysis of my work, and you give it additional depth and meaning for the readers. I hope the reader gets a glimpse into my life from what I write and also picks up a positive message or too. Thank you for posting a link on the word prompt article too.

11. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 22 months ago

John has created an enjoyable and interesting combination of prose and poetry in response to the "first" theme. I loved the line "a new day's ahead - the future's vast." I'm going to remember this. The thought is very motivational!

1. Jodah profile image91

Hello Linda, thank you for reading and enjoying this work. I am glad that particular line stood out to you and you will use it for motivation. Much appreciated.

1. Olealea profile image73
        Olealeaposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Grandpa..you were grounded by your father when you didn't return home before daylight?  Is this a poem that is inspired by reality or is it just merely a poem?

1. Jodah profile image91

Olea, it is a little of both smile thank you for reading.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)