The Reason Hub Forums are no longer Fun.

Jump to Last Post 51-79 of 79 discussions (275 posts)
  1. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

He's in Russia ... probably waking up about now and turning on the news to see if it's safe to go outside. smile

1. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every day it's a different avatar, wonder who he will be today. smile

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i hope it's the cleverly cropped one in which the eyes figure prominently...

1. profile image0
          Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the one where he's got the sly grin. smile

1. profile image0
            cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha McDreamy wink

2. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that one too. smile

1. profile image0
            Star Witnessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good evening...or good morning (?), Earnest.  smile

wink

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

No, hes a ghost, he drops in, scares ya with answers, then dipsets.

~thranax~

3. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

OH GOD.

~thranax~

4. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

Misha McDreamy!!! HA! What a hoot and wouldn't he just be luvin that! lol lol lol

5. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

They're going to bomb the moon tonight, maybe he's out setting up his telescope.

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hes setting up his own rocket to beat NASA to it!

~thranax~

6. Deedman profile image58
    Deedmanposted 14 years ago

Some people don't see the value in another persons opinion or freedom of speech or text in in the bloggers world. But heck suckas have the right to suckas so just watch what you say a lil bit and the ish should be a blast for years to come.

1. profile image0

Nah.  Some would like to see reasonable community standards initiated that do not include acceptance of harassment...but at the same time have the highest regard for the right to freedom of speech.

Both can be maintained.  However, it might take a little thought and planning on the part of some.  Usually bandaids slapped on a bad cut don't actually help anything to heal.

1. Friendlyword profile image61
        Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

U are absolutely Right on that Star! I'm here to mix it up. I'm gonna speak my mind. You want neat and clean and polite go the sewing circle hub kid. The issues discussed here involve life and death for all us. I'm not a diplomat or a politician. I'm a simple man giving you the simple truth.  In MY words. Respond or dont respond. Dont attempt to tell anyone besides your children how to speak.

7. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Afternoon, folks.

Going to play Devil's Advocate a little, so please bear with me. smile

As Tex suggested, HP is a business, so they have to try and balance that with the free speech thing. Having vicious and personal attacks on the forums does not create a lasting impression or encourage readers and writers to bookmark and revisit.

Looking at a parallel example, I was looking on YouTube for some Greek tourism videos. Every single comment thread had foul and abusive exchanges between Greeks and Turks. Despite the fact that most Greeks and Turks are not like that, it projects a poor image for two countries that rely upon tourism. Somebody thinking about visiting Greece may think that we are all haters over here and go elsewhere.

The same for HP - whilst it is nice to chat in the forums, I am here to attract business, like many Hubbers. Every surfer who reads one of the nastier threads and goes elsewhere is a potential client lost. I made the mistake of becoming sucked into bitter arguments but realised that I cannot afford to risk my reputation. hmm

Trying to keep us all happy, when we are all here for a variety of different reasons, is a tough balancing act for the team smile

*Edited for clarity.

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was about to skip this thread when I saw your post sufi. All I can say is I bow to you, oh great experienced and wise one! smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very well said. I am always amazed at the rudeness and lack of respect shown by some posters here. It certainly reflects on the kind of person they are and I've quit reading certain peoples responses because you know what it's going to be. I'm always amused by those that know more than the President.

3. profile image0

Sufi, what a nice photo! wink

There is a little story...a play behind a play, if you will.  You probably will hear it at some point.

8. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Sufi - I've said it before and I'll say it again - you're well-named smile

9. profile image49
    HealthTipposted 14 years ago

Very nicely put Sufi and indeed is the main reason I decided to move off in a different direction. You wise Sage smile

10. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Agree with Surfi ,some people almost think HP is there just for them lol

11. Sufidreamer profile image79

Hi Shalini and Art - sometimes, although most of the time I generate volumes of BS. tongue

'Tis true, Art - At some point, you have to decide whether you are here for fun or for business. I have started attracting a lot of business through HP, so I have to be a good boy big_smile

EK - HP is here just for you. That lovely smile makes me melt big_smile

12. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

lol surfi , I bet you say that to all the girls

I love it thankyou smile

P.S Now if I could just impress Google with that smile ,hahaha..

Speaking of business I better go spread the word smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol - I dated a half-Maori girl when I was at school. She was wonderful and bubbly, with a smile like yours, but I succumbed to peer pressure and split up with her.

We found each other on Facebook and she has grown into an absolutely stunning woman. What the hell was I thinking? mad sad

Sadly, I have grown even more foolish with age. hmm

Hi Emie big_smile

Rebekah - Must admit, I stopped reading the forums for a while.  smile

Hi Sufi. I'm beginning to think I should stop reading the forums too. I don't post as much anymore, just read through them. I think I may have led a sheltered life. Some of the things I read here I don't see or hear in real life smile.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow Surfi you once dated a Maori girl!! , woohoooo what a sweet story,though I suspect her bubbliness was a direct result of the feel good vibes you sent out smile lol@ memories, oh me oh my does my head in when I think of what might have been...but like you , I see most days like the glass is always half full, lol

13. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

the forums are great...we just have too many expectations from them! It's an online space...it should allow for some creative escape without everyone letting their sensibilities get in the way. And why so many rules? As it is we have enough of them in real life! smile

So true. smile

1. myownworld profile image73
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

all is not lost.....smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image79

Sure - this is an example of where we all come from different angles. Not saying that you are wrong, or that I am right, but we have different perspectives. smile

For me, HP is for business, so forum threads that go beyond the pale are not good advertising. You see it as a social place, which is cool, but they have to have some rules to protect the great reputation that HP enjoys. Have they gone too far with the bans? That is a tough question and, IMO, there is no clear dividing line.

Put it this way - you can go to the local pub and argue and shout to your heart's content. If you tried the same in a restaurant, you would be thrown out.

Emie - try a Greek Taverna. Not for the faint hearted lol

lol my husband will kill me if I do. just the other day, I asked him if I can get a tattoo (a real one). He looked at me as if I lost my mind lol

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you lost your MIND? lol

aka-dj, nope. Wanted to have one since I was in college and that was like a decade ago big_smile

14. profile image49
    Thirteenposted 14 years ago

Blaming a Forum for not being fun is like blaming the car for the bad driver !

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like that. big_smile

1. profile image49
        Thirteenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

15. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

The forums are a great place to hang out and meet people from all over the world while talking about just about anything.  People just need to realize you can't take anything on here too seriously.  In a place where anyone can say anything without ever really revealing their true idenity, you need to be able to brush things off or have a thick skin.

exactly! but sufi I do see what you're saying...plus without some rules, i suppose the religious might tear each other to bits! (oops...I hope I haven't broken a rule! wink
      cheers! the drinks on me...

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The thing is that they can make and enforce as many rules as they want, but you can create new accounts all day long.  Therefore the people that are here to offend and piss off as many people as they can will never be truely banned.

1. Friendlyword profile image61

Ooh...I never thought of that! Thanx for the great advice. But I think if I was gonna get banned,  I would have gotten banned  right after my first hub.

lol - see you in three days! Going to have a cheeky Ouzo soon, thanks big_smile

Don't get me wrong - personally, I don't care what people say to me. I used to work in telesales, so I can guarantee that I have heard worse big_smile

Mind you, ask Misha about when the forums here were completely unmoderated. Not for the easily offended wink

1. profile image0
  16. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I personally enjoy the forums, all of it and still find fun in it everyday. I mean, we even have a thread in the sandpit for insulting anyone for just the fun of it. The drama is life. deal with it.

1. profile image0

I couldn't have said it any better!

2. Friendlyword profile image61

There u go. Dad, you said it all! But I still need to ask why people come to a polical site and expect sweetness and light?

17. profile image0
    Quidoo saysposted 14 years ago

We still can have fun without being offensive...
    constructive critics rocks! :-)

18. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

They can be fun but when you come here suited up to do battle that's what you're going to find. When you paint a target on your face people will take a shot.

19. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Yes, some are here to do battle only it seems. Some are well armed too and it's no holds barred.

20. myownworld profile image73

they key is to simply avoid threads/people one finds offensive, instead of trying to change rules here! if u don't like something, avoid it, instead of banning it. actually saves u time and headache! smile

21. myownworld profile image73

blood, u forgot to scroll!

and sufi...I think we should all meet up for drinks soon...some place we can all say what we want to our hearts content! wink

1. profile image0

Count me in!

of course, without u it will be incomplete! wink

Sounds great! It is past 5 o'clock here, so I am about to pour one big_smile

Blood: The shop is a great example of what I am trying to say. A few years ago, when I managed a store, a couple came in and started arguing and swearing at each other. Personally, I was not offended, but they were upsetting other customers, so I had to throw them out smile

Some get tossed for just disagreeing, not even swearing.

1. Sufidreamer profile image79

Not sure about that - I have been a little busy over the last few weeks so have not been following the forums closely enough to have an opinion. Hopefully, they will find the happy medium.

myownworld and Blood - I know a pub in Glasgow where the bar is caged and they serve drinks through a hatch. Should be free to speak our minds in there, without being thrown out! big_smile

Hey PD - hope that Bumbletown is treating you well. You have to be careful with the metal detector here. If they find you picking up parts of Ancient Greece, they lock you up and throw away the key smile

Zeus told me that he can't be bothered with the religious forums any more. He is thinking of converting to Buddhism.

2. profile image0

Unfortunatley, it's only 9 in the morning here, and my boss might have a problem with me cracking a bottle right now.  Cheers to you though.

3. myownworld profile image73

hmm...your name suits u...(i bet u get that alot!)...but the point hits home...! ok. we all meet soon then at a rowdy pub! smile but only if u don't throw me out!

1. profile image0

I'm all about drinking in a rowdy pub.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85

sufi- both of my sons girlfriends are Greek- we live near tarpon which is a greek community. at family gatherings, it's always loud and crazy, lots of debate and drink, the later it gets, the louder it gets.  actually, it doesn't matter what time it is! big_smile

22. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Sufi... Bonjour mon ami smile
    How is the simple life in the cradle of history? hmm
    I would be wandering the hills with a metal detector if I was there lol
    I might even be lucky enough to find a new god for the religious forums yikes

23. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

Obama will make his public comments at 10:30 a.m. eastern time. I'm sure he was probably the most surprised. now even a harder task awaits him. cheers Obama. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

oops, wrong thread!!! hmm

24. Sufidreamer profile image79

lol - you know the Greeks well. Loud and pround, and life is never dull. It was a it of a culture shock moving over here, but we are settled, now, and would not have it any other way smile

25. recessionincome profile image61
    recessionincomeposted 14 years ago

It's ok to disagree, but everyone has their opinion.  I believe a long as it's not offensive to anyone, it's all good.

26. AlexDane profile image55
    AlexDaneposted 14 years ago

I think it's annoying when other people think a little ignorance makes someone an enemy. I think we're all people and we all have the ability to grow and adapt and love one another. I love introducing new ideas and explaining things to people even if its through the form of a debate. I like to see other people's lack of knowledge on a subject as a nice warm empty space that something precious belongs.

27. profile image49
    buffalo wingposted 14 years ago

i must agree with misha--some people are flat allowed to get away with murder on the forums--some have multiple personalities that continue to bicker and harass other people-one in particular seems to have the staff totally buffaloed and he also has most of his fans convinced that he is some kind of god and they can't live without him--you can go to almost any forum and when he enters the subject goes completely out the window and it becomes the _ _ show.

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not that I remember saying anything like this smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And anyway, how would a brand new person who registered only 2 weeks ago know anything about what you said, and make a comment about it on their very first  post here lol lol lol

I think I detect the pungent odour of smelly socks smile

1. Jane@CM profile image60
          Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Smelly socks, there are just too many.  I should give them a good whiff of whats been lurking in my son's soccer bag....

28. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Obviously two weeks old socks. Probably never removed from feet smile

29. ragnarokfinis profile image60
    ragnarokfinisposted 14 years ago

With the internet there is always a chance for common decency in discourse to devolve into finger pointing, name calling, and slurs. That being said, as long as the language and activity pertains and is within the Terms of Service, it should be fine.

That being said, hopefully people can agree to disagree and never let their debates on political topics to turn into arguments, and realise that while they may think the platforms one stands on are wrong, that they should not hate the person for having them.

Just because I disagreed with some of President Bush (W)'s policies did not mean I disagreed and hated all Republicans. Likewise, the same is true with me and President Obama. Over-polarisation leads to weakness, don'cha know ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)