I need advice about setting up a website please

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I want to set up a couple websites, and am wondering the best and easiest way to set them up would be- I've got one that I set up through Yahoo, but I haven't really done anything with it.
    Any suggestions from my fellow hubbers?
    Thanks!

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dorsi the easiest way to go is to get yourself a template. free or purchase one. You need something like Frontpage a html editor to work on. Take your template and change the colours and anything else you want to so there is no duplicate penalty.

Save that as your template page. Next add content to it and save that as your index page. Next take your original saved template and ad different content to it and save it as the keyword you have targeted on that page.

Rinse and repeat. The secret is build a page and get links to it. Ideally write an article pointing to it or send someone ( I wonder who) a request to stumble it and digg it for you.

Once you get to this stage you will need to learn about scripts to load in your forum page and blog, pictures etc. Anyone need an ebook on this I have a link but its ten dollars for the book. Best ebook I have seen too.

Hope this points you in the right direction to building your own website. It is a lot of fun too. If you have adsense its a simple matter of dropping the code in on your page where you want it to appear.

1. Dorsi profile image87
        Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Terry- this is great information- I'm getting excited now thinking about it- the part about building it with templates is something I can do- and working with the colors, text and layouts is what I do best.
        Then add my photos and words and voila! I'm excited! Thanks!

1. profile image0

I am glad your getting into this. If you think of your site like silo's. That is one at the top leading down to two just like a flow chart. Under each of the two you have your silo going down from each side with each similar keyword targeted.

Of course you can have more than two. Internal link each silo with one link back to your home page or the second level of the flow chart.

Site structure is important so look at it just like a flow chart and you cannot go wrong. I am sure someone esle can guide you in uploading, ftp etc.. Its not that hard. Remember, build a page get links, build a page get links ...

While I am here I came across a social bookmarking technique. It includes having multiple accounts and I am talking about having up to fifty of them. It is a sound strategy, anyone interested? I'll start a new thread as I have to stop hijacking!!!

1. Inspirepub profile image72
            Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Go ahead!

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

If you mean business - open your own hosting account, register your own domain(s) and go from there smile

3. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I am going to set one up for gardening and one for kids with adhd- then I want to backlink to here and vice versa, and set up google adsense on them.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Isn't there something about reciprocal linking that Adsense doesn't like?  Or did I just dream that?

1. lewgard profile image60
        lewgardposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If I may add...It's not so much Adsense that dislikes recip. linking, but Google in general.  Here's Google's take on linking

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … &type=

I agree with Misha in that the best way for a traditional website is to purchase a hosting account and a domain name. Domains cost about $10.00  per year and a good hosting account, with email, management tools, c-panel, etc. runs about $100.00 per year.

If you don't know HTML / CSS, then you have a couple options: either pay to have a site built (there are many freelancers on ELance who provide website creation services for cheap), or  use a free template and modify (well, some HTML and CSS experience is needed to modify a template). 

Here are a few free website template sites:
        http://www.openwebdesign.org
        http://www.oswd.org/

Wordpress is a great choice for either a blog, or even a "traditional" website.  The management system is easy to use.  You can either utilize the free version or install it on your host account (if it's a good host company, there will be a one-click install process via your account's cpanel).

A tip:  Quality content geared towards your visitors should be the main objective to having a website.

2. profile image0
      multimasteryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you want to be an InfoPublisher!  There are tons of webhost around but I've found that none educates you on how to be build a successful web 'Business' better than SiteBuildIt.  The training tools and courses they provide in itself is invaluable.  With Hosting included you just can't beat it.  It's what I use and I highly recommend it.  This page about infopublishing will provide you with more info.  All the Best with your web endeavors!- http://infopublishing.sitesell.com/multimastery.html

4. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

You planning on building them from scratch? Say with a HTML editor such as Dreamweaver and create your own graphics?

Or are you planning on installing Wordpress and doing a blog?

Or other?

5. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Dorsi Adsense is tricky to get right and getting wrong can either cost you income because you get smart priced or worst case (like you family helps and clicks the ads) get you banned.

WordPress is almost certainly the best way to go if you are looking to attract organic traffic but there is an awful lot to learn in this game I wrote about setting up wordpress on your own domain here
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Setup-a-WordPre … r-Articles

note although the blog I used as the example in this hub initially had Adsense on it I took it off because I am worried about smartpricing and am using an alternative network

Also the whole internet marketing game is interesting to say the least - if you are interested in making $ online read my internet marketing hub

6. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Wow thanks everybody- this is all great advice.
    I want to make this as easy as possible for myself- I don't know HTML or any of the technical stuff so as user friendly as possible is they way I want to go.
    As for the gardening site, I envision just a fun place for gardeners to go to - and set up adsense on it- I don't have to backlink if that will get me in trouble- no I don't want that.
    I envision later on users being able to uplaod their garden pictures, maybe a forum of sorts- I'll see how it develops.
    And the ADHD site- I want it to be sort of a clearinghouse for parents where they can get advice and links for more information about adhd, and maybe also a forum there too.
    I now it maybe sounds too ambitious but this is what I am thinking,
    The main thing right now is I want to provide good content, not duplicate in any way of what I write about here.
    So linking between sites is frowned upon? I don't understand, I see it done all the time? ( maybe I'm using the wrong term? I just want to be able to also point visitors to the HubPages  when they are at the website)

Once people worked out that backlinks were really important, they started this game of "I'll link to you if you link to me",

Google is smart enough to detect that (and it's by domain, not by page). That means that you need to create one-way links - as soon as you link back in the other direction, the links more or less cancel out. (Snip intricate detail of exceptions and weightings and other boring stuff.)

You need to plan your linking STRATEGY, and it goes like this:

1. Where do I want people to end up? (Hint the site where you make MONEY goes here)

2. Where can I build something to attract search engine traffic (since the structure of a site that is selling things is not entirely compatible with search engine optimisation)?

Your Level 2 sites then point at the landing page of your money site (or sites), but your money site (or sites) don't reciprocate.

3. How can I send link love to my Level 1 and Level 2 sites?

This is where you build Squidoo lenses, Hubs, articles in directories, blogs and blog posts on major blogging platforms, and have them point at your Level 1 and Level 2 sites. It is perfectly OK for all these pages at this level to point at one another. (Authority sites pointing at other authority sites don't get penalised the way your own private sites would for reciprocal linking.)

This is also where you social bookmark everything - Level 1 site landing page, all pages on Level 2 sites, Level 3 pages on social authority sites and blogs - everything. Bookmark your  profile page on one site on all the other sites, and so on around the circle until all your profiles are bookmarked everywhere. Bookmark your bookmarks, if you have the time.

And this is also where you go out and post your money site landing page in your signature in blog comments and forum posts.

Level 3 is casting a wide net of backlinks to catch "search engine link love" and channel it to your Level 2 sites, which are all pretty, just the way the search engines like them. Your Level 2 sites collect the "link love" AND the search engine traffic, and channel both toward your money site landing page.

Make sense?

Jenny

1. vietnamese profile image66
        vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow, sounds like you know what you doing. Are you SEO expert? smile

I am only an egg ....

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Definitely do wordpress or something. Otherwise you'll need to find someone to do the html for you and create a database that you can just insert the info and picures and whatnot (kind of like the HP editting section. (That's how my site is set up. I only know limited HTML)

The template idea is another way to go. ;-)

3. VioletSun profile image80
      VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dorsi: www.handzon.com is a very user friendly website builder; you don't have to know HTML to build a website with them.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Yep, Jenny, makes perfect sense smile

8. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

...and this explains why I never got going with making money online.  I'm exhausted just reading Jenny's description!

9. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Jenny that is a fantastic explanation: I have to stop and think some days what is supposed to be pointing at what :-) I am thinking about writing it down and drawing a chart - but its not simple:-)

Marisa: the bottom line is that writing the article/webite is about 10% of the job - the other 90% is backlinks - Im told is boring but will make you money: I can vouch for the former, too soon to tell on the later :-)

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to, too!

10. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Wow great advice Jenny and this is where I get stuck- it all makes sense but it sounds like a lot of tecno mumbo jumbo to me, honestly. I just want to write and do the graphics, and the layouts, I wonder if i could barter some signs for someone to do the expert linking for me...lol..
    (I'm sort of kidding there but not really)
    I've always done better at the creative part and the technical stuff gets stuck somewhere in my brain in an unknown place..........
    But I'm learning....slowly but surely!!!
    I will keep plugging away and every day I am learning something new and exciting here!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sure you can outsource this. As usual, the problem is to find who will do a good job for reasonable money.

2. vietnamese profile image66
      vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we can team up and conquer the world! I am the technical freak and not much on the creative part. Well, I am creative, but you got the idea... smile

11. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Yes Terry that's funny you'd bring up the social bookmarking idea- I've been thinking about that this morning. I want to learn how to put all those on my sites with the buttons, and the best way to go about setting them all up.
    That would be awesome information!

12. chantelg4 profile image69
    chantelg4posted 15 years ago

Not so sure it's such a great idea to open up 50 different accounts on th socials, seems a bit black hat. I would be worried about getting banned and losing all my hard work. Just my 2 cents!

1. profile image0

No its not black hat. The guys using the strategy use 50 accounts, I personally have nine.

When you sign up its by email address not ip. So why not social bookmark your page of desire one a day for three days and then one a day for three days the following week and then three more days two weeks later. Its simple really. Choose your social bookmark sites, not that many really for the good ones and away you go. You will be surprised by the linking power.

Roboform makes the whole process very easy.

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much what Im doing terryg - use a tool called bookmarkingdemon - seems to work good - thought its still a fair bit of effort !

Anyone who wants to know why this is important should check out bloggerunleashed.com read/listen to all of it (except the early posts in nov - he explains why in December)

13. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

It's a pain in the butt trying to manage that many accounts/personas as well. And not worth the effort or reward as far as I am concerned.

1. Dorsi profile image87

Well I think like the rest of the sites on the net, we have to pick and choose which ones fit us, I would go crazy trying to join every social network there is, so I stick to a couple that work well for my interests that I can really participate in too.
      A few good bookmarking sites would probably work out just fine, and I agree that trying to have too many could drive you nuts trying to manage.
      I have tried Digg, StumbleUpon (which I just basically like because of the new sites I find), can't figure out Simpy yet and Blogatizer seems the most user friendly so far.
      Any other suggestions would be great.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, I was really talking about trying to manage 50 accounts under 50 different user names, which is what terry seems to be talking about. I have tried this, and I found it not to be worth the effort. You have seen them here:

Newbie1 - Can anyone recommend the best way to leverage social networking traffic for the best results?

Slight delay.......

Newbie2 - I hear this site: www.xyz has the best software for doing that. It worked for me and I got, 1,000,000,000,000 visitors in 2 days.

Slight delay

Newbie1 - Thanks for the link. That site is AWESOME. I am making so much money it's INSANE. big_smile

Really, I would look at the site's interests and use the one that is most likely to be interested in what you are writing about. Stumblers are not big on Quantum Mechanics (Unless they are naked quantum physicists) LOL

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Lissie,

You set me thinking - if we have several people here using bookmarkingdemon - and it seems to be the only worthwhile product on the market currently - why don't we all cooperate and send one another lists of pages to bookmark? This will make our efforts much more efficient.

Oh, and if anyone wants to consider it - here is my affiliate link big_smile
    http://malexandro.bookdemon.hop.clickba … d=HUBPAGES

1. Dorsi profile image87

Good idea- I love the networking taking place here- that's what it's all about.
      Wonderful place this HubPages.

2. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is a really good idea -  I have been thinking about doing the same thing - start a new thread and  Iwill get my list together in about 10 hours - at work currently cant run it here :-)

3. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha - are you still using this and is it any good?  If so can you give me the lowdown as I'm considering it?

15. profile image0
    terrygposted 15 years ago

Good idea but do not set a pattern. Make sure you bookmark other stuff in between your bookmarking as you will be flagged and will not carry any weight with your efforts.

Basically do not make it obvious of what you are doing.

16. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

This is a good idea. I already bought this and it will not work on a mac or Windows using 64-bit architecture.

Dammit. I need a cheaper computer big_smile

Although, has anyone tried using this one?

http://www.rss-bookmarker.com/

1. profile image0

Your kidding aren't you!!

I myself provide free information and you promote something that costs $297.00 US are you serious!! The same thing is out there but for free. Just Google it.

Come on Mark hubbers look up to you here - I expected much better from you.

Any one needs a rss bookmarker then just email me, I'll give you the link.

LOl I am not promoting anything. I just asked if any one had used it. I have never used it. I have never done any of the things I see you advocating. 

I am a writer first and internet marketer second. smile Way second. I do not use any of the techniques people talk about in internet marketing. None of them. I just write good quality content and generate mostly organic traffic and backlinks.

This works for me and I am usually quite successful.

But, I am always looking to learn something new and  I am interested to know about this RSS bookmarker so please, send me the link. On the whole, I have found social bookmarking to be a complete waste of time, but I am keen to learn differently.

1. profile image0

I see your rss feed works well. Then why promote such a crud site then. I'm sure the majority of hubbers have 297us to spend to check something thats free everywhere else.

So to answer your question I have used something similar and its crap.

What are you talking about? I am not promoting anything. I have no idea if it's a crud site or not.

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a miss.

1. profile image0

Then why mention it. I'll give you a miss.

Wow - You are an aggresive little so and so.

I will give the RSS Bookmarker a miss. Not your advice.

You misunderstood me.

2. profile image0

Here's the link http://www.rssmix.com/ need anymore then there is plenty more.

I guess you didn't actually look at the site I was asking about then. This is a completely different thing altogether.

The site you linked to is an RSS aggregator. The site I was asking about claims to submit your posts to a social bookmarking site based on the information you feed into it. It sounded to me like the bookdemon that I cannot use because I have a mac and 64-bit vista.

I still don't understand why you think I am promoting it. I have no idea if it is any good.

Neither do you apparently.

But thanks for the advice.

1. profile image0

Do you own the software you linked to? Its the same thing.

If you talk about something then you should have the decency to know what your talking about. Its really is a simple matter of aggregating all your rss feeds and submitting them as one. Its been around for years and used by seo's worldwide.

By the way, it was not my intention to give YOU any advice.

No. I do not own the software I linked to. I was asking if anyone has used it:

And I was asking for advice. I have no idea if this is any good. Or worth the 300 bucks. No clue. I was hoping one of the internet marketing experts would fill me in.

17. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

I am happy to bookmark things for others, and provide my own list of things to bookmark. When do we start?

Jenny

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this
  18. profile image0
    terrygposted 15 years ago

Here's another one, one I use all the time. free - http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/reader/

19. francetales profile image61
    francetalesposted 15 years ago

Umm, could socialmarker.com be the free version of what you'd like to do? You tell it which sites to submit to, the pertinent info like tags, description, etc and then it goes to the pages and you watch it do it because sometimes there's a few extra steps on each page that can't be automated.

You must bookmark other things in between or else it will be obvious what you do.

You can add it as a button on your blog so others ca leverage it for you too.

Dorsi, if you want professional looking sites with no programming try Wordpress but also look at Joomla. Wordpress is best for blogs but I have leveraged it to make more standard sites. Joomla is the equivalent but for standard sites. Many Joomla templates also include blogs, for examle if your adhd site was a clearing house for info but you also wanted a blog you could do it in Joomla.

Make sure your web host offers fantastico setups, it is much easier, and cPanel administration, also easier, and has Joomla as a feature. I have written a Hub Page about changing web hosts. It works for starting a new one too. Yes there is an affiliate link to it but I actually use the hosting service and have for years so I can personally say they are great. The price is not the cheapest but it is very competitive. Besides who else on here knows where Bret harte Middle School in Hayward is?

1. Dorsi profile image87

hahaha- thanks for the info- and you're right- I bet no one else knows about Bret Harte! Small world, isn't it?

1. francetales profile image61
        francetalesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

BTW, if you need more help getting started I would be happy to help through email. Just ask.

1. Dorsi profile image87

Thanks, I appreciate that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)