Why would someone be hell bent on banning a reformed character?.

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (59 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I have been here a while now, but did not know that someone can get you banned. How do they do it? Can they be stopped?

Mandy, I gather that you have to be banned legitimately the first time and then a report can get you re banned? That would seem to need monitoring for abuses. Thanks for the information Mandy, I am a bit surprised I have survived so long on the religious forums. smile

1. profile image50
        mandybeau4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mandy, that does make more sense now. smile

2. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

One thing I wonder about, though, is the time of night (San Francisco time, anyway, which is where HubPages adm work, unless, of course, they have some night/weekend monitor-person looming about).  These newest bans seem to be taking place.  It's not the workday in California, and it's the weekend.  I know adm people could be on here (the same way a lot of other US people are) in the middle of the night, so that could explain it.  I wonder, though, if usually things like bans would wait until the usual business day/week to happen.  I'm wondering if there's some automatic thing in the system that just bans any name that resembles "mandybeau"?   (I don't know anything how this stuff works - just wondering how something like this works, and wondering if maybe it isn't a human being reporting you....)

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought that there was a new moderator, I am assuming that she works weekends.... doesnt seem to take her time to ever post though.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm - "stealth" moderating.  I suppose that would make more sense than letting the forums "go wild" all weekend and having to clean it all up Monday mornings.  (There's hasn't been much "wild" around here recently, though...).  OR.... maybe HP has hired just one person specifically to be assigned to a 24/7 watch for any version of "Mandybeau".  lol

1. Pearldiver profile image68
              Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh you So Deserve that 100 Lisa!! big_smile

2. cindyvine profile image69
          cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Mandy, just change your name to Bandymeau!

1. Helen Cater profile image61
            Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

It's a sad ole world when you can't say your bit. What happened to freedom of speach. Anyways good to have you here still.

1. profile image0
              poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

hi mandy..... wondered where you were, what have you been doing ...... nothing and still you get banned. wow

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
                Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I am having trouble thinking of any one less offensive. sad

Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Clearly you did not include yourself in that equation Mark lol

Mandymybeau..... You must stop dating that Mayor! lol
                  Are there Moose prints across your account page? hmm
                  It seems to be a bit tough mate. hmm

1. Lisa HW profile image62

bandymeau!!  Nice to meet you!!  lol

1. sunforged profile image70
                      sunforgedposted 14 years ago

ummm, it would most likely be an IP flag, if a user is flagged and temporarily banned than the IP is recorded and any accounts generated from that IP are quick to be banned also? It cant be automated or you wouldnt be able to enter the forums at all from the same IP..but perhaps just one little flag?

I couldnt be sure but most likely your just get shot down over and over because you are openly admitting you are supposed to be banned and users are hitting you with a report w/o bothering to comment

OMG... Bandy-Mo... Well Howdy Mate... Tie Ya Boots to that thar Hichn Post Yonder an set awhile as ya straighten those pins! lol

I do not remember hubpages being like this in the past. Surely the person doing this should be banned from hubpages?

1. profile image0
                            Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

AGAIN? WTH? seriously that is just wrong! Please whoever keeps getting her band knock it off. so not cool!

1. profile image48
                              bandymeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
                                Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Man mandy I am so sorry you are going through such horrible treatment on this website and hubteam should be ashamed of themselves for going along with those ppl who are flagging yur hubs when there is nohting wrong with them!

2. profile image48
                              bandymeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

shoot I don't think I would be any good at it but if it would actually help then shoot I so would!

2. marilynz profile image53
                            marilynzposted 14 years ago

smile

3. profile image0

you had to make another one? this is getting out of hand seriously! You should contact the hubteam and ask why you keep getting banned.

1. profile image0

this is still wrong. the hubteam should look into this issue and STOP deleting you from hubpages.

2. Pearldiver profile image68

What Response have you had from Admin Bandy? hmm

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
                              pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

Creating account after account to circumvent a forum ban is not something that we appreciate.  Mandybeau had the option to take 3 days off, and come back, hopefully without the personal attacks.  Now she's going to have wait at least 30 days.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
                                Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I have no idea what happened but that would really harsh my good mood. 30 days is a lot!

2. profile image0

Okay got ya thanks Paul

1. profile image48
                                  rebel1posted 14 years agoin reply to this
                            4. rebekahELLE profile image84
                              rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I don't even know who she is? hmm

5. blue dog profile image60
                              blue dogposted 14 years ago

it's nice getting both sides of the story, without all the emotional blah blah blah.  if we choose to break rules, we live with the consequences.

thanks, paul, for the rest of the story.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
                                rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we know there are those who clearly will never follow the rules...
                                hmm

1. blue dog profile image60
                                  blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you've just gotta love those "reformed" alter egos.

1. profile image48

I am so reformed its painful smile

2. profile image48

Whatever I bet u never break a single rule ever Can u say tht... MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

???? I can see you're new around here. hmm
                                    yes, I do try to be professional on a writing/publishing site.

6. Lisa HW profile image62

lol   I know, I guess, I maybe shouldn't find the humor in this; but - I'm sorry - I just discovered, after last knowing that the series of "mandybeau's" (1,2,3,4, etc.) had turned into "bandymeau"; that there's now been "bandymeau1" and "bandymeau2".  lol  I have to say you gotta kind of admire "bandymeau's" stick-to-it-ive-ness.  lol

7. profile image48
                              rebel1posted 14 years ago

Banned for what????????? You might like to say who reported me bet you dont tho!
                              I don't want to know about the old time, I have not transgressed.
                              I will wait 3 days which I think is a stupid childish punishment, not because I am being told but because I am busy at the moment and it suits.
                              Crazdwriter Lisa Pearldiver Lisa Thanx for yr support see you soon
                              Mandybeau

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
                              Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Well, if you want to be banned permanently you are going about it the right way.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image72
                              Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

If you want to know why you were banned, emailing us would be a better approach than creating multiple accounts to get around the ban, after you've been warned several times not to do so.  I've sent you emails about this, but you have not responded, so responding here seems the only way you might actually pay attention. 

Continuing this behavior will result in a permanant ban on all of your accounts.  I recommend, if you'd like to continue to use HubPaegs, that you cut your losses and take the 30 day forum ban in stride.

1. profile image0
                                Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maddie you have the patience of a saint. You and the rest of the HubPages team have been more than reasonable and compassionate in dealing with this situation.

2. profile image0

thanks for telling the other side with Paul about this topic, Maddie. Now I understand it better. smile

10. rebekahELLE profile image84

oh, thanks maddie, now I see... duh~~

why even put up with this? they need to go join a chat room....
                              they come back and do the same thing after their ban.

11. mega1 profile image80
                              mega1posted 14 years ago

Would someone be kind enough to list the bannable actions as for real, not as they are in the rules.  I need to know because I have trigger finger and my fingers type faster than my brain so I have to be careful.  Would it get anyone in trouble for listing the hypothetical bannable actions?  Don't want you to get in trouble, but I'm so curious.

1. relache profile image73
                                relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you go to make a forum post, there's a link, in a blue box over on the lefthand side that contains a sentence that reads "Please use the Forums in the spirit of community!  forum rules"

When you click through that link, you see a yellow box that contains the following:

I don't know how much more real someone could explain that stuff.  It all seems rather plainly explained to me.

12. habee profile image91
                              habeeposted 14 years ago

I echo Mega - what can we be banned for other than personal attacks?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
                                Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Usually, for established users (people who sign up just to spam are showed no mercy), it's personal attacks or repeated posting of links despite warnings.

13. rebekahELLE profile image84

relache, I doubt if 3/4 of forum posters have ever read that. hmm

1. relache profile image73
                                relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that 10% of forum posters have ever read it... roll

1. darkside profile image62
                                  darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

so that leaves 1/4 of the 10% that have read it possibly understand it. hmm

14. cindyvine profile image69

Ah, I haven't been on much lately but haven't see Mandy say anything that would get her banned again.  I don't know what happened for her to get a three day ban.  The fact she makes more accounts shows how committed she is to being a part of the HP family.  Seriously, just let her be.  She's not hurting anyone and all this banning etc is making her more like an icon.  There have been other hubbers who have made far far worse comments on the forums and they just get given the 'bad boy' label and it's accepted as just part of them.  In fact, they are even reverred for it.  Give her the 'bad girl' label and let her be.  Otherwise, this all degenerates to a primary school playground level.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
                                Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it shows that she can't behave like a grown-up. 

It's like the little kid who's punished for misbehaving, who then goes on misbehaving, and complains when the punishment keeps escalating.

All Mandy had to do was take three days off. Now, for flouting the ban, she's forced to take 30 days off.  I hope she's learned her lesson.

Bear in mind we are all guests of HubPages and we have to play by their rules while we're at their house.

2. profile image0
                                Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course it brings it down to a playground level...the trouble is, I think many of us are just used to these kind of 'rules,' (which I might say the TOS are actually very vague, not plain...and which indeed could be interpreted in a variety of ways) with corporate work environments, etc., which are on the same level, and also, I believe there are some people who just don't like Mandy for whatever reason (and maybe there is reason she's not liked, I'm not saying there isn't.) 

I'm glad you wrote this first, Cindy.  I was going to post something, then decided not to, due to my own experience here...then came back again.

The fact is, only some 'things' are classified as personal attacks...that is for SOME people.  I ask, ie:  Are repeated nonsense posts in the forums following or targeting specific people considered "personal attacks?"  Only for some.  Maybe that was the case for Mandy.  Not so for others.  How about her kinda annoying (sorry, Mandy) writing style with all those exclamation points...or the fact you have to read between the lines to get what she's really trying to say?  Yeah, I bet that is bannable, especially for those not 'getting' what she said.  But other annoying 'styles' (and those guilty of more egregious sins) of other hubbers don't seem to be fit to be banned.

I'm sure its like anything or anywhere I've been - a lot of this is interpretation and boils down to who is liked and who is disliked... Then there is always the skeleton crew phenomenon in any workplace coverage.

Whatever.  Anyway--what happened (as far as what I saw and in my interpretation) is that Mandy came back under Mandy2, was fine for a while, and then posted some question about "creepy characters" in the forums.  Somebody evidently thought she was talking about them....or used the incidence to ban her.  In reality, she was talking about some creepy character in her personal life and wanted advice.  She was banned anyway.  'Interpretation,' I'm sure.

Critical thinking skills and fairness are important.  Not so much, however, among or about those defined as unpopular OR difficult people (or maybe the words used are actually more along the lines of.."I just don't like her!"). I know, I happen to be one of the 'difficult' people on Hubpages if that definition can be defined by being banned for indiscretions (real or imagined).

And I work in public relations. (!) I do find it ironic. But then the field is more about solving communication problems than it is about being 'nice' all the time.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
                                  Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, you're soooo not "difficult."  Your only problem is that you are intelligent and articulate.  That never does well in a place like this, a forum where the masses get to speak.

From Aristotle to James Madison and lots and lots of great minds in between (and a handful afterwards), everyone has recognized the problem with that.  It's worse that you are a chick.  Chicks are supposed to make babies and bake cake.  You really should just learn your place.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                                  Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's fair.  The moderators can't possibly monitor every post in every thread, so of course some people will get away with it. But that's not because HubPages staff "like" them, it's because other Hubbers don't report them.  You are just as much at liberty as anyone else to use the "report' button.

If Mandy came back as Mandy2 because she was banned, she did something she's not allowed to do.  The minute the moderator noticed her, no matter how well-behaved she was being, she would have got banned again - because a ban is a ban, and if you can get around it by pretending to be someone else, what's the point of it?

15. Marisa Wright profile image86
                              Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

...the funny thing is, if someone is truly a reformed character, we probably never get to hear about it.

I can think of one formerly notorious Hubber who came back with a new persona, promising that he was reformed. Unfortunately he had a few drinks, made a few inappropriate remarks and is now banned from the forums for life.

He is not complaining about that - he accepts that he was his own worst enemy and has only himself to blame.  Which, IMO, is a sign that he's finally learned his lesson and could come back to the forums - but he's quite happy to leave things as they are and get on with other things.

Mandy could do with taking a leaf out of his book.

16. yoshi97 profile image57
                              yoshi97posted 14 years ago

If Lita were my wife ... I'd be in the oven baking cakes ... she's too smart a cookie to waste away in the kitchen (as are many other women here) wink

17. cindyvine profile image69

I don't think she was pretending to be someone else.  In my mind Mandybeau2 is probably the same person as Mandybeau1.  She has been quite transparent and open.  She came back, towed the line, then got a three day ban.  Okay, I accept she should have just taken the ban, but if she is anything like me, it's the prinicple of the thing.  If the ban was unfair or overly harsh, and she sees other people getting away with saying some really nasty things.  Sorry Mark Knowles, but how many people complain about the way he speaks to them in the forums and yet it is excepted and he is never banned.  Then I can understand her fighting the ban by creating new accounts.  It goes back to the principle of the thing.  If a person perceives the punishment to be unwarranted and unjustified, then they will not take it lying down.  It is all a matter of perception.  Others might feel it was warranted, but if she doesn't...Do you get what I'm saying here?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
                            Necessary
                            HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
                            LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
                            Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
                            AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
                            HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
                            HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
                            Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
                            CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
                            Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
                            Features
                            Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
                            Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                            Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
                            Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                            Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                            VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                            PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                            Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                            MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
                            Marketing
                            Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                            Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
                            Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
                            Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
                            Statistics
                            Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
                            ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
                            Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
                            ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)