Is there any free antivirus software to remove virus from my computer?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (54 posts)
  1. technocrates profile image59
    technocratesposted 14 years ago

Any one please tell me about any free antivirus software, My computer is infected from lots of viruses...

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

careful though. some of those sites that say they want to help you actually have their own malware on them. if it were me, i'd go to office max and pop 25 bucks or so for a spyware/adware/malware remover. a lot safer in the end. good luck.

p.s. i love your name! very cool smile

2. guidebaba profile image56
      guidebabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

SUPER AntiSpyware is the father of all: http://www.superantispyware.com/

3. free ubuntu now profile image60
      free ubuntu nowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try ClamWin if you insist on using the virus prone OS Windows. It's Open Source, so if there ever is a problem, it has a large community of support behind it with folks able to make fixes when needed. I use Linux Mint, a Ubuntu based OS, and there's no need for an anti-virus, registry cleaner, firewall, or defragmenting tool.

4. franco2008 profile image58
      franco2008posted 13 years agoin reply to this
    5. profile image49
      SofiaBrownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only the trial version of antivirus software are free. There is not any antivirus software which is available free of cost. Mcafee Internet security is best antivirus for protection of your PC.
      http://antivirus.iyogi.net/mcafee/produ … urity.html

6. myb profile image58
      mybposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dear Friend;
      Just download this and restart your system in safe mode and the run it after its installation virus removing process will start and just left it till it finish its process.
      after that just restart your computer and now your computer will be free of viruses, but may be some restrictions which was created by the viruses will be available.  If you find any such problem just let me know I will guide you.

http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/dev … _07-39.exe

7. profile image52
      Eudorawhiteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you can free download one here:http://www.okpckit.com/

2. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Google AVG and also try malwarebytes.

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I use both.  No problems ever.

3. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Microsoft Security Essentials.
    I'm using it. It's OK
    Not invasive. You forget you have it.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too smile

2. myb profile image58
      mybposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes my friend;
      I consider Microsoft Security Essentials a very good anti-virus.

1. profile image48
        amna ashrafposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hy plz tell me the instruction on download a antivirus

4. itech profile image64
    itechposted 14 years ago

GET Eset Antivirus from your friends circle,
    I will give you the address where you will get the username & password of it.

5. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

Try SuperAntiSpyware...It has helped me many times...

6. theblackedition profile image79
    theblackeditionposted 14 years ago

AVG is good to use, and you could consider using Kaspersky's Trial Version in which all features are available to you for 30 days to help clean up your system.

7. DavidSmith profile image54
    DavidSmithposted 14 years ago

Try SuperAntiSpyware, it is a nice antivirus which helsp me a lot.

8. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

Superantispyware can be set on auto to scan and remove.
    PS,stay away from"THOSE"sites...smile)

9. st0rm3 profile image61
    st0rm3posted 14 years ago

try Antivir

10. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Avast

11. Sagarika Rath profile image61
    Sagarika Rathposted 14 years ago

avg free

12. techjunkie1 profile image59
    techjunkie1posted 14 years ago

The best free antivirus is Avira or Nod32.
    AVG is also okay but Avira does a better job in my opinion.

13. smith85 profile image60
    smith85posted 14 years ago

Try avast, though I'm using pro I've heard the free edition is just as good as the paid one.

14. Mike_Mac profile image61
    Mike_Macposted 14 years ago

Just to add a point of differentiation: Many times installing standard antivirus software (Norton, AVG, McAfee, etc.)after you are already infected won't do the job.

I have found that MalwareBytes does a good job where some of the traditional AV products cannot clean up everything.

If the infection is real nasty it is generally a good idea to boot up in Safe Mode (using F8 key at boot time) and then run virus removal software. For particularly nasty infections you may need a standard AV product and MalwareBytes and Safe Mode.

15. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

AdAware is free malware and virus removal...I also use microsoft defender in conjuunction...Adaware is awesome...It automatically scans when my computer boots up.

16. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

to be honest Free antivirus/malware cleaners don't do half the job that a registry cleaner can do for 29.99 4 single comp or 39.99 for multiple comps. Try Desktop Meastro or System Mechanic if interested.

1. MyWebs profile image78
      MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A registry cleaner has nothing at all to do with viruses. They are apples and oranges. Would you pay your doctor to defend you in a court of law or would you get a lawyer? Antivirus programs protect your from viruses, registry cleaners DO NOT.
      Registry cleaners don't do all that much anyways usually, maybe give you about a 10% faster reboot time. You pay $30 for a program and thats all it does? I got mine for free.

I have used AVG Free edition for years and never had a problem. I like it much better than the Mcafee I paid $100 per year for when there were no free solutions for the new Vista.

17. Bibleseo profile image61
    Bibleseoposted 14 years ago

AVG is the best free antivirus software.

18. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

psst, buy a Mac -no virus, ever smile

19. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Trend offers an excellent free online virus scanner that is always up to date. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Run and it and make notes of which viruses you have then search for "xyz virus removal tool".

Trend's HijackThis and CCleaner are good tools to help undo the damage

20. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I just go to www.download.com and type in AVG, easy to download from there smile

21. blackmarx profile image71
    blackmarxposted 14 years ago

Avast is the best free anti-virus i  have found you can get it @ avast.com.
    it is free for home users but must be registered every 12-14 months

22. harryinc profile image60
    harryincposted 14 years ago

If you already have Virus on your computer then installing an antivirus at this stage would be almost impossible. Perform an online virus can at http://housecall.trendmicro.com and once all the virus is removed, install AVG antivirus from http://free.avg.com/us-en/download

23. papigogy profile image60
    papigogyposted 14 years ago

there are several free antivirus: avira, mse, avast, avg etc
    for the comparative of free antivirus you can check at:
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/201 … -for-2010/

now i'm using avast! Free Antivirus v5. before using avast, i've tried Avira, MSE and Panda Cloud Antivirus. but my choice goes to avast, coz i think it's safe enough for my pc's security system.

24. grammarchecker profile image58
    grammarcheckerposted 14 years ago

I have been using MSE for a little over four months. Initially I tried it alongside Avast 4.8 and encountered no problems. I have tried it alongside Avira, again no problems. I am now running it alongside Avast 5.0 without any problems.

25. Hejanny profile image58
    Hejannyposted 14 years ago

I use Avast! It's free and powerful

26. profile image0
    Rhysjcposted 13 years ago

AVG Free is almost definitely your best option. Check it out here: http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

27. edy4sure profile image60
    edy4sureposted 13 years ago

You didn't tell us the type of OS that you are running on your computer. But I'll assume that it is Windows. The best till date for me is Microsoft security essentials. It is unobstrusive, powerful and doesn't slow down your computer's performance like all the other antivirus software. For me it is the best computer security software for windows.

28. jansonchun profile image60
    jansonchunposted 13 years ago

The Best Spyware Scanner can handle the Virus infections.

http://www.bestspywarescanner.net/solut … virus.html

29. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Better to buy and go for something like Kaspersky..might find it is cheaper in the long run...but ..and I think it was mentioned earlier you could try ClamWin.

30. Victoria Stephens profile image74
    Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

one of my hubs could point you in the right direction.xxx

31. profile image49
    datawayposted 13 years ago

Try ZenOK Free Antivirus it has the best Spyware scanner that can handle the Virus infections I've ever used. doesnt slow your computer by the way.

32. vinayezone profile image59
    vinayezoneposted 13 years ago

Quick heal is best antivirus.... Use this  for your computer... It will repair..
    You can download from below site
    www.quickheal.com

33. kimbles profile image42
    kimblesposted 13 years ago

I know this is an old question but for future reference and anyone else who may read this my personal favourite http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc … fault.mspx it is from Microsoft and it doesn't hog your resources and slow your system down like some do.

1. profile image51
      monaieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personaly, I've been using a combination of Avira Antivir  and Malwarbytes Anti-malware, for the pass couple of years, which have worked great for me.  Avira doesn't seem to take much system resources. There's a free version that can be downloaded if that's any help to anyone. AVG has grown to become pretty good now too, I hear, but have not used it myself in a long time. http://integra-cs.co.cc/free-product-efw.html

34. profile image58
    EthanWilliamsonposted 13 years ago

Avira Antivir
    AVG Antivirus

35. markhubpages profile image41
    markhubpagesposted 12 years ago

I don't rely on any free antivirus software because they are not as effective as the paid antivirus. If you are techie enough, you can download lots of antivirus software on the Internet free and with serial. you should know what I mean.

36. sasta10 profile image61
    sasta10posted 12 years ago

Hi, I will advise you not to use free software, they harm your computer more than solving your problem.  It's best to buy a full version up to date virus software to protect your computer.  You can get them cheap on places like ebay and amazon.  Thanks.

37. profile image51
    SeoMaster4343posted 10 years ago

Not each virus is that the same, thus you'll be able to not take away it constant means as another virus. One factor I do advocate to my purchasers is spyzooka. it'll take away any quite virus or malware for you, and that i use it myself on my computers and my purchasers computers. 

http://ariscool.com/how_do_i_remove_a_v … _computer/

how do i remove a virus from my computer

38. choosetolive profile image72
    choosetoliveposted 10 years ago

1) Better download AVG Free antivirus 2014.
    http://free.avg.com/ca-en/free-antivirus-download
    Note: Above URL is not a promotional URL. Its AVG site to download FREE antivirus to solve the problem.
    2) Install the software.
    3) Re-start your system in safe mode.
    4) Login as administrator.
    5) Go to AVG Command line scanner/scanning
    6) Start the scanning
    Note: Based on your system capability & information stored in it, it would take couple of hours to scan.
    7) Allow your system to scan completely.
    Then AVG does the job for you.
    Above process is applicable only if you Virus in your system.
    If you have Malwares, Spywares & adwares  in your system, I would recommend Spybot to start with your spyware scanning with the similar step or approach you followed for Virus scanning.
    8) Once cleaning of malwares & viruses are done, restart your system in normal mode.
    Connect to internet. Do an online detailed or complete virus scanning using NOD32 or Bitdefender.
    This is to doublecheck nothing is leftout in your system
    9) However I would recommend you purchase AVG Internet security edition or Bitdefender Internet security edition and protect your system permanently

39. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

Get a free antivirus like Avast, AVG, or Microsoft Security Essentials (I use Avast) and complement it with an anti-malware software like Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

For what it's worth...
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Malware-What-it … al-with-it

40. ajayshah2005 profile image47
    ajayshah2005posted 10 years ago

As Thief12 suggests.... among Avast, AVG, or Microsoft Security Essentials.... best i found is Microsoft Security Essentials....i use Microsoft Security Essentials.... for free download you can visit http://ajayshah2005.hubpages.com/hub/Mi … -Antivirus

41. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Well, this thread's as old as time itself, but I suppose I'll weigh in. Got nothin' better to do. It's midnight. Why not?

I only use two programs, and luckily, they're both free:

Ad-Aware
    Malwarebytes

You can buy full versions if you want, but if you're just looking for a program to scan your compy and delete malcontents, then there's little better out there you can get for free.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)