Site Update - HubPages Widget

Jump to Last Post 1-47 of 47 discussions (81 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

After a little more testing we've just opened up another new feature that went out yesterday -- a HubPages widget that you can add to your blog or website.  To grab the code, just go to your profile page and you should see a link in the right hand column.

You can see an example of it in action on Paul Edmondson's blog Train Thoughts.

We've tested this on a dozen or so different blogs and fixed all the problems we encountered.  However, it would not surprise me if some formatting issues come up where css bleeds through from the surrounding page and affects the display of the widget.  If you have a problem with it on your site, please send us a link to the page at team@hubpages.com.  We'll try and fix all the reported problems by next week.

Thanks!

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I finally got around to using the widget. I love it and think it's much better than an RSS feed. Thanks HubPages team. big_smile

2. Gail Alexander profile image57
      Gail Alexanderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the update about the widget. I am going to "try" and put it on my site!
      Gail Alexander
      ArtMusing: http://artmusingbyalexander.blogspot.com

3. profile image48
      gayathraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

THANKS COOL

1. anjalichugh profile image68
        anjalichughposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that it was something new. I've been using it on my website (www.anjalichugh.com) for quite sometime now and I have no issues so far. Working fine.

2. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

It looks really cool! I see that you can use trackers? smile cool!

ProCW

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Awesome ! Already installed smile

1. hassam profile image74
      hassamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow! that's a cool thing

4. jyuva profile image60
    jyuvaposted 15 years ago

Wow! cool big_smile

5. Dottie1 profile image62
    Dottie1posted 15 years ago

Added to my website.  Love it!  Thanks guys!

6. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Already Installed big_smile It's pretty Cool cool

7. laringo profile image61
    laringoposted 15 years ago

Very nice folks!!! I added to my blog and it looks terrific....thanks for the continued support.

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 years ago

I added it to my blog:)

9. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Nifty!

10. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

Can This be configured to open in new pages

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Same question here.

11. spuds profile image57
    spudsposted 15 years ago

Another great development.

12. Binnjeam profile image58
    Binnjeamposted 15 years ago

It really does look superb. Now I just need a website/blog to put it on LOL.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I just added it to my Blogger, looks good smile

1. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Susan, where do you add it on Blogger?

1. funride profile image69
        funrideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can add it in a html capsule wink.

Layout » Add a gadget » HTML/Javascript

I hope this have helped you smile.

14. Bob Ewing profile image64
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

Just added to my blog, looks good.

15. terenceyap07 profile image59
    terenceyap07posted 15 years ago

This is really useful! Thanks Paul! And a very big thank you to the Hubpages Team!

16. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Swweeerrr;)

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Swwweettt even! smile

17. rockinjoe profile image87
    rockinjoeposted 15 years ago

love it. Can't wait to try it out.

18. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Hi Paul - I've put it on my blog. It looks great in Internet Explorer, but in Firefox the red hubscore boxes are half width only showing the first digit. It's not because of the width setting because I tried increasing that.

It's a great widget though!

pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It looks ok to me with IE7, but perhaps the problem is only in IE6.  I'll take a look at IE6 when I get to the office.  Thanks Paraglider.

1. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Paul - IE6 & 7 are fine. It's only in Firefox I'm seeing the problem, on my blog and also on Paul E's.

Sorry, I misread your post.  Are you using an older version of firefox by any chance?   I ask because it looks ok for me in 3.0.1 on windows anyway ...

I'm on 2.0.0.16. , and on Win XP SP2  I'll upgrade (if available) and let you know.

Hi Paul - seems there's no higher upgrade of Firefox available on XP (but I'm in Qatar - things are not always normal here). Here's a screen grab of the problem. On the left, IE7 (good) on the right, Firefox 2.0.0.16 (faulty)

http://www.trimediamiddleeast.com/hub-widget.PNG

I'm also getting a 'content encoding error' when I click on the hub links inside the widget.

2. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have a widget on my blogger site and so far it's working fine.

19. Peter M. Lopez profile image70
    Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years ago

I am having difficulty loading it on my wordpress.com blog.  Any special settings required that anyone knows about?

Not that I'm aware of, but it does use javascript.  Perhaps wordpress.com doesn't allow you to insert javascript?

20. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Got it, we'll take a look in firefox 2 and see if we can't fix it.  Thanks for your help.

1. MrMarmalade profile image70
      MrMarmaladeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This does look like magic. Thank you

21. Paraglider profile image88

Hi Paul -

Another slight problem - maybe I'm doing something wrong?

When I click on the profile link or the hubpages link in the widget, it works, but when I click on an individual hub link, I'm getting this:

----------------------------
    Content Encoding Error (content_encoding_error)

Server response could not be decoded using encoding type returned by server. 
    This is typically caused by a Web Site presenting a content encoding header of one type, and then encoding the data differently. 

For assistance, contact your network support team.
    -------------------------------

By the way - this also happens when I test Paul E's widget on his train blog.
    Any ideas? Thanks!

22. blogdigz profile image58
    blogdigzposted 15 years ago

Nice site update smile

23. Veronica Bright profile image58
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Great!  Now how do we get the code and install it?
    V

There is a link on your profile page in the right column, or you can just go here directly for your widget.  One caveat, it will only work in places that allow javascript.

I am still getting the content encoding error on every hub link, but not on the profile link or the hubpages link. Am I the only one having this issue?

Could someone please test my widget from somewhere not in the Middle East, and let me know if it works? it is here  http://paranormal-hotel.blogspot.com  thanks very much in advance!

One extra piece of info: - it gets as far as putting the link into the browser url window and even displays the hubpages favicon, but it doesn't remove the referral code from the url, so I get this:

http://hubpages.com/_1tx3xfc3jxa95/hub/ … rom-Belief

Sorry to be a pain, but I'd love this to work because it's a great addition.

The hub links are created dynamically with javascript, while the 2 links at the bottom are just normal HTML links.  Does it work ok if you click this link from here, just not from the widget?

http://hubpages.com/_1tx3xfc3jxa95/hub/ … rom-Belief

I'm really not sure what is going on, but it may be some kind of funny interaction with a firewall or proxy server that your traffic is being routed through.  I'm fairly confident that it works normally from most locations (since your's is the only reported problem).

2. funride profile image69
      funrideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

smile Easy!

Go to your profile page and click on "Add Veronica Bright's widget to your website" and it is almost done wink.

edit: I wasn´t fast enough big_smile

24. Veronica Bright profile image58
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Thank you both!  I installed it.  Looks great on my blogger site.
    Great idea!
    V

25. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Glad that you guys are diggin' the widget so far - let us know any issues that come up when you go to install it.

Rock on with your bad selves... smile

26. carpesomediem profile image60
    carpesomediemposted 15 years ago

This is very, very cool!  smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but it would be WAY cooler if it could make me coffee in the morning...engineering is working on that as we speak. Well, either that or they're playing Quake again...

http://youfailit.net/site/img/s_quake3.png

27. Ryan Hupfer profile image60

Hey Paraglider!

I just checked out your blog and it looks like the widget is working great and it's also including the referral link in all of your Hub links.

Looking good. smile

Hi Ryan -
      Thanks for doing that. Have you any clue why it might not be working for me? The link to my profile page works, but the links to individual hubs don't. It seems that the referral code is not being removed from the url, resulting in this content encoding error.

Still if it's working for you, it's probably working for most of my 10,000 daily visitors (joke!)

28. Ryan Hupfer profile image60

No problem, my man.

I sent something to Paul to see what he thought...we'll see if his geniusness can help us out. smile

29. Paraglider profile image88

Thanks Hup - much appreciated!

30. Paraglider profile image88

No, that doesn't work either. I'll try a few more PCs in Qatar. I think it must be a local problem, especially as I get the same error on Paul E's widget.

I'm still going to keep it on the site, as most of my (small) readership is non-Qatari!

Ok.  For what it's worth links with trackers in them attempt to do an HTTP 301 redirect to the URL without the tracker.  Something in there is probably what is causing the problem, but without direct access to a machine in Qatar it's very difficult to debug.   You can remove trackers from your widget altogether if you want to work around the problem.

Interesting, and thanks for persevering. How would I remove the trackers from the widget?

Just select "None" in the tracker drop down list on the page where you grab the code for your widget.

Great - thanks!

[Edit] - Done it. That works now, even from Sunny Qatar!

31. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

Awesome,thanks

32. Paraglider profile image88

Hi Paul - Just to complete the story, I've just upgraded to Firefox 3.1, which has fixed the squashed hubscores on the widget. All is now well, even in Qatar!

So now it's official...QATAR LOVES HUBPAGES!

I will sleep so much better tonight. smile

33. Encourager profile image60
    Encouragerposted 15 years ago

THanks Paul.  I will add it to my blogs. Blessings.

Awesome, let us know how it looks once you get it up and running...

34. LisaG profile image60
    LisaGposted 15 years ago

Hi Guys,

I tried placing it on my site but all I got was a link "more << Hub Pages", not the pretty widget as displayed.  The link is working though, but is it because of the Java Script thing that I'm not getting the pretty widget?

35. Paraglider profile image88

For the record, the widget seems to work perfectly in the new Google Chrome browser too.

36. rmshdc profile image57
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

love the addition!

37. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I like it, great tool.

38. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

Thanks for the cool widget, looks good to me, just added it to my blog!  Looks better than a standard rss feed plus it includes my referral code ~ Sweet!

39. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I must check it out and apply it, thanks for sharing the information. smile

40. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Great Widget.

41. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

Hi, widget has been fine since I have placed it in my ripplemaker blog.  Thanks!  smile  pretty cool... smile

42. mhei profile image59
    mheiposted 15 years ago

this is really awesome! i already added the widget to my blog site and it looks just great.thanks so much smile

43. JohnST profile image61
    JohnSTposted 15 years ago

OK, I am going to display this widget on my blog. Will let you guys know how my hubpage badge is working soon.

44. wannabwestern profile image94
    wannabwesternposted 15 years ago

Love the widget. It's on my blog and was easy to add. Thanks!

45. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Would there ever be a possibility of creating a few more variations of content, such as from our own group folders, I'd love to add some really targeted hub links on different topics and being able to add relevant content widgets would be great!

The latest, hottest and best categories are good for a basic rundown of our hub pages but some relevant sub sections would be cool!

Cheers!

46. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 15 years ago

I've just started a blog on blogger.com last month, and I wanted to add my hubpages widget. I know about editing the HTML template, but whereabouts do you actually paste the code? I get an error message saying either that it isn't well-formed or that the ';' delimiter needs to be inserted after the line referring to 'h', and it won't save the template.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The easiest thing is to add your widget (click the link in your profile and copy the code).

Then you want to "add a gadget" to your sidebar.  The one you want is "HTML code", if I remember rightly.  Then you just paste the widget code into the box that opens, save and you're set.

The widget looks nicer than the plain RSS feed and does the same thing, plus it includes your tracker.

1. ANDR01D profile image73
        ANDR01Dposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, it worked! Now I know to use this way instead.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would just add your Hub profile to a blogroll.

47. Abhishek87 profile image60
    Abhishek87posted 15 years ago

Hey, doesn't the widget work on WordPress ? I applied it on Blogger and it cam on great but Now I tried it with Wordpress but it shows 2 links "more" and "hubpages" instead of the visual it shows on Blogger......

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have it on my Wordpress blog and it works fine.  I just posted the code into a text widget.

1. Abhishek87 profile image60
        Abhishek87posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I did the same thing but it doesn't show as it does in blogger. Any ideas what the problem could be ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)