Hubpages needs Chitika

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (61 posts)
  1. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

As discussed in this thread The Chitika advertising network would be a good alternative to Adsense and Kontera or an additional revenue source.  Chitika is easier to affiliate with than either Google Adsense and Kontera and doesn't need as many page views as Kontera to reach payout.  Chitika works right along with Adsense so there will be no conflict with contextual ads or premium ad blocks.

HP advertises heavily that this is a place to come write and earn money, lets make that true by giving us hubbers more options to earn for ourselves and the HP website.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

2. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also agree with this and I think Chitika or something else should be replaced with Kontera which is of no use to us.

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i'm all for extra affiliates! smile

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I too would welcome another chance for affiliate fun big_smile

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Put me in the yes group!

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Just a few more thoughts:

Revenue sharing with Chitika is just as easy as it is with adsense or kontera and their premium ad block would fit nicely in the 250x250 space under the profile image on the hubs where a google image ad now occupies.  Or, if adsense has been banned I'm sure an easy "if, then" code can be written to swap adsense ads for chitika ads.

The minimum payout level is only $10 payable through Paypal and is much easier to achieve than Google's or Kontera's $100 threshold.

Earning reports are on a 3-5 day delay to go through the auditing process for click fraud.

If a hubber was banned from adsense for violation of TOS, Chitika would be a good second chance to get it right and still earn here on HP.

5. profile image53
    AugustMichelle06posted 14 years ago

I agree Hubpages should have Chitika. AdSense frequently bans publishers for no good reason. These publishers would welcome an alternative to AdSense.

Infolinks is also a good idea. Infolinks kicks Kontera's butt in relevance, click-thru, and earnings per click.

6. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

I have to vote for adding Chitika as well.
    I use them on my blogs, and the pay out (for me) has dropped significantly since I started, but Hubbing helped with Adsense, why not Chitika?

7. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

I am also among the yes votes. Google is trying to take over the world and it would be great for us to be able to have options for monetizing our content and not be hitched to the Google wagon for everything

8. Mieka profile image63
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

I mostly like the idea of the 10 dollar pay-out. At least that is a goal I could reach a little faster than adsense's 100D! And me thinks many of us with me. So many of us have to wait for months for the first pay-out.

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
      Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

for me the payout isn't a big deal, I am a quarter of the way to meeting Adsense payout in only 6 weeks here and each day the amounts grow a little. I just think since it is our content we should have more choice in what we put on it for ads. I also think that Google just has its hand in too much, they are becoming a monopoly in every thing

livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Valid points.  I'd also like to point out that Chitika ads are more tied to search queries where as adsense ads are more aligned with page content.  This means that when a searcher finds your content through a search engine they will also be shown ads that relate to the search terms.  With adsense, you really have to optimize your content for high paying terms. This means to earn well with adsense you have to do your research.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, though for newer online content writers, the earning potential is still there during the learning curve.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

As someone noted already on another thread, Chitika will compete with Amazon and Ebay capsules. This is probably the reason it is not offered... smile

There is no competition at all, Amazon and Ebay promote specific products whereas Chitika is an Advertising Network just like Adsense and Kontera. 

For advertisers, its great because they have had over 2 billion page views served by 80,000 different publishers last year. The more publishers the better it is for the advertisers and vise versa.

Kontera could be a good affiliate once you reach 10,000 daily page views, and let's face it, there are only a handful of hubbers here getting that kind of traffic and I ain't one of them.

1. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even if Chikita was more product driven like Amazon and Ebay it would give those who do not have Amazon and Ebay accounts a good alternative.

And those that got themselves banned from Adsense.  I don't see anyone opposed to Chitika so it would be good to get a response from the HP staff on this.

1. skyfire profile image80
            skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We're thinking about this by assuming that chitika will have no problem with revenue sharing model, that needs to be settled and as i earlier mentioned in one thread. They need US/UK/CA traffic for their premium ad program, so how many applications they'll approve is another case. (So it's not in favor of adsense banned member as we think).I don't see any site where chitika is allowing revenue sharing program.

Go to Infobarrel it's being shared there and on many other sites.  The sharing is just a matter of rotating the code which HP already does with all of our affiliates.  We share impressions not revenue.

10. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Add my name to the yes list. anything that will help bring better payday is good for me.

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

In my experince (and I run Chitika for at least a couple of years already) Chitika is very much product oriented, no coincidence its previous ad format was called "mini-mall". YMMV of course.

I am not opposing your request, I am just speculating why HP is not offering Chitika and don't run it in their share of impressions. I am pretty sure they did consider it, but decided against. smile

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misha

12. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 14 years ago

Chitika is the top earner for ProBlogger and many others. So I think its worth a try here too! smile
    Best Regards

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hi SunSeven, long time. How are you doing? smile

1. SunSeven profile image63
      SunSevenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha! smile How you doing?. I'd been away. Got a regular job now. Time's at a premium.

Best Regards smile

14. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Yeah i know that but like adsense is there any access approval ? Or they simply need some publisher id ? I'm not sure about that so that is why i'm asking.

Just like any affiliate program, you have to apply and be accepted to the program. Once accepted, you are issued a user id. Once you have a user id you can place Chitika ads on any of your sites.  On a revenue sharing site like this one, your user id would be placed in a rotating code like the other affiliate programs here and then share impressions with HP.  You don't really share revenue.  If a click or sale is made during HP's impressions then HP gets 100% of the revenue (unless they are splitting their share with another referrer).  The 60/40 split refers to the impressions and not the dollar amount.

15. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

I think it's a good idea Richard - most hubbers don't use Kontera and only a handful are able to use Ebay - so out of the 4 affiliate programs only 2 are being utilized properly. Definitely room for another one!

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the best argument for adding a new affiliate option smile

16. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I like Amazon myself, but because of the short cookie, it is so hard to convert.  Another reason for adding Chitika.

17. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Thanks Richard.

18. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Rather than create another thread, I'll just throw my support for adding Chikita. Has HubPages given any reason not to add it?

19. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

The only problem with Chikita is their strange application process, where you name your price for ads.

I don't understand it, and I don't know how Hubpages could deal with that. Set the price too low and you are losing money, set it too high and you will struggle for revenue...

Then the hubbers would have to set their price, does their impression sharing thing allow for two seperate prices?

I applied for Chikita and didnt even hear back, I guess that my domain wasnt developed enough, so could be difficult for hubbers to get in with them?

I am 100% throwing my weight behind additional schemes though, I am desperate for something to fill the void left by eBay....

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't asked to do that - or did I miss something?

20. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

It will be helpful for all of US here, thank you SIR for bringing this up!

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
      englightenedsoulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that!!

21. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

I don't know if I would use it right now, but more options is always a good thing. Especially for those kicked out of AdSense.

It has my vote.

22. hassam profile image74
    hassamposted 14 years ago

Chitika is a good source of income specially the recent changes they have made in the way their ads appear has really increases earnings on my blogs. Now they offer interest based ads just like adsense. Many people like me don't use kontera,amazon or ebay because its really not  a good source of income for many authors.

I think chitika is a must try out, atleast in place of kontera which is more of a scam to me!

23. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I'll agree.  I applied to Chitika, but haven't heard back yet though...

24. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I have a chitika account but no place to use it. I would love to be able to use it here.

25. sabrebIade profile image81

Another thing is that Chitika would be good for the Hubbers that live in states that Amazon no longer deals with.
    For example North Carolina,Colorado,Rhode Island and there maybe more I dont know about...

26. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Sounds good to me!

27. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Chitika only serves to US/Canada visitors, unlike AdSense which serves to a worldwide audience.
    http://chitika.com/publishers/faq/#q11

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But then, eBay and Amazon capsules also target US/Canada only (although I do realise people outside the US can order from them).

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People outisde the US generally order from the direct Amazon sites for their own country, europeans for instance will use their own country, Amazon UK, or Amazon DE depending on their locality. I found a lot of eastern european countries bought items on one of my old Amazon.DE stores.

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plus they're not accepting application from every publisher out there.

28. sabrebIade profile image81

And I am by no means suggesting replace Adsense with Chitika.
    Sorry if it sounded like that.
    I just think Chitika would be a good alternative for those of us who can't use Amazon anymore.
    And it seems like that number is growing depending where in the States you live,

29. hypnodude profile image60
    hypnodudeposted 14 years ago

Count on my vote. Let's wait for a reply from the HP staff now.

Btw in reality most of hubbers can rely only on AdSense for earnings, and we all know how Google works for real. So every opportunity for hubbers to earn some money from their efforts I guess would be welcomed by everyone.

30. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 14 years ago

YES!

31. lender3212000 profile image60
    lender3212000posted 14 years ago

It certainly would make for a nice additional option. I'm in favor!

32. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

It would be a good thing for those who get snubbed by E-Bay to have another source to make money from here on Hubpages. I had no problem getting my Chitka account through Shetoldme. I could use it here.

I wish there was a site similar to E-Bay we could use here on HP. Maybe if E-Bay had more competition on sites they would reconsider there strict policies on who they give accounts to.

E-Bay I hear is good for some here, but HP should consider the site as a whole and present a program that is equal to all members of HP.

33. hypnodude profile image60
    hypnodudeposted 14 years ago

I agree, since I can't work with Ebay and Amazon is more a theory than a real way to make money I'm left with only AdSense. And the money that AdSense gives in reality isn't worth the effort needed to write hubs.

34. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 14 years ago

Yes definitely as I am not using Ebay or Kontera and Amazon does not work that well.  Also Chitika works well with Adsense and I would love a new way to earn money on this site!

35. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Hey - I am all for earning money in new ways but I am a little shocked at you people making blanket statements about Amazon not working.

Just because - you are not capable of making money with Amazon - that does not mean it doesn't work. I actually make more money here with Amazon than I do with adsense.

I am interested in what the hubpages staff think about this one though.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do ok with Amazon considering that only a fraction of my hubs are sales pages, I would be devestated to find Amazon removed as an affiliate option.

I too would be interested in some insight into Hubpages thoughts, perhaps a pie chart which represents their biggest income sources. I suspect that it would go something like this....

1. AdSense
      2. Amazon
      3. eBay
      4. Kontera

Personally I think that they should be considering the complete removal of number 4, with a view to lining up another affiliate. Kontera led to a 20% reduction in my AdSense income in the first two weeks of this month, meaning that I will experience a decline in earnings for the first month since joining unless I have a stupidly good day before the months end....

2. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem with Amazon, here in the States, is that many States are trying to implement an online sales tax and when they do, Amazon dumps the affiliates in those states. 

I do well with Amazon but my state of Illinois is considering the online sales tax and as of right now my Ebay is not doing as well as Amazon so if Amazon dumps me, I'll see a significant drop in revenue.

I use Chitika on a few of my blogs and it does as well as adsense on those sites. I'd be interested to see if it does as well here too.

36. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I'm with Mark on this one, I make thousands of dollars with the Amazon Affiliate program, if you have traffic and are not earning with Amazon, it's time to improve yourself.

I do like the idea of including chitika though, I have tested it out a few times and it has worked well, plus I think Yield Build already uses it, so it can't be too hard to incorporate?

I like hte thought of having more advertising options, although too many adverts may make teh site seem a little more spammy.

My earnings usually go

1) Amazon
    2) Adsense
    3) eBay
    4) Kontera

Though I have to admit eBay is starting to catch up now that I have included it in more hubs.

Are you sure the drop in Adsense was down to Kontera, there are a wide range of external options which could have caused the drop, as far reaching as the volcano in Iceland to the beginning of summer.

I have switched Kontera on and off a few times, trying to figure out if it was actually hurting me, and it never seems to make a huge difference.

I did notice that my ePC with Adsense took a nosedive during the middle of this month though, even though my content has not really changed.

I am looking forward to the recession ending and people advertising again, I fully expect my current Hubpages earnings to double or even triple once advertisers start bidding again like they used to.

37. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

After Chitika's behavior this month, I have to withdraw my support.
    If you wonder why (and don't use Chitika)just Google Chitika for the past two weeks and see how many publishers they have crippled.

38. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Hey guys I did not say Amazon is bad at all.  What I meant to say was more like Kontera is not good for most people, Ebay is hard to even get an account with. 

Amazon is probably good but you need to write a certain type of content and they seem to have a mean cookie length.  Also it is not as good for people outside the US as they don't really offer any great ways of paying - I wish they would let you claim Amazon.co.uk gift cards or just pay into other countries bank accounts in dollars or paypal!  Also I probably am incapable of earning with Amazon.

However basically I welcome any other affiliate programs and seeing as Chitika is quite highly rated I don't see why they should not at least try it here.

39. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Chitika is now out for most of the revenue sharing programs, it seems most people on sites such as she told me are not being re-accepted under that domain.

1. sabrebIade profile image81
      sabrebIadeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think Chitika is in the process of shooting themselves in the foot.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)