At long last payout!

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (81 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

I got my first Google check in the mail today. It was green and for the handsome sum of $107.18. I'm trying not to spend it all in one place. ;->

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congrats!! I'm still working towards my first one! How long you been doing this?

Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Wayne.

Supposedly, I've been doing this for two years, but I had some detours along the way and made some silly mistakes. I could probably have gotten it much earlier, if I had done everything "right" to begin with.

2. Mr Nice profile image77
      Mr Niceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aya,
      How are you & cutie Bow?
      Your first Google check is good news. It is difficult to get the first $100 from Google but I think it gets easier later. I got my first check in Oct/2009 & the second one will arrive in April/2010.
      My income improved because I reorganized & fixed all my hubs.
      Out of hundreds only 177 keywords are making money for me now. I have only 63 hubs but you have 117.
      I think you should fix all your hubs that are not making money. If you fix all I believe you can bring more money faster. I wish you good luck.

Thanks, Mr. Nice. Any tips on which ones need the most fixing?

In some cases, I think, it's just probably the wrong forum to publish in. I mean, the fiction. Even the keyword tool doesn't help there.

1. Mr Nice profile image77
          Mr Niceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aya,
          Your hubs look perfect no problem. I guess you need some Google organic traffic to make more money. I wish you good luck.

Thanks, Mr. Nice. I do get some organic Google traffic -- but it comes and goes!

2. PackSecure profile image59
        PackSecureposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am new to Hub, how does one fix their hubs and keywords?

Packsecure, sorry, I only just now saw your question. Even after two years on Hubpages, I'm not exactly sure. One thing I've learned is to find the appropriate keywords for that particular hub. The Google keyword tool is a good place to start.

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  congrats. spend it on shoes!!!

Justine, thanks! I don't know about shoes, though. Bow is the one with the shoe fixation in this household, and doesn't even need shoes!

4. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great job, Aya! Keep following your unique path-- things keep getting better.

5. Springboard profile image83
      Springboardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm. Sounds tantalizing. smile Congratulations!

6. calicoaster profile image76
      calicoasterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Coooooool...Congratulations!! smile smile smile

7. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Aya!! Congratulations. I'm sure this will be the first of many to come!

2. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Congrats!  I know you have been working for this for some time now.  May the next one come sooner.  smile

Thanks, Ivorwen. I think the next one will be less of a wait!

3. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Congrats!!!!

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Fabulous news! Make sure you celebrate this! Makes life a little sweeter.

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Su-weeeeet!
    Time to open some bubbly eh big_smile

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Awesome, congratulations!

They will continue to come at a quicker frequency now.

7. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!

8. charanjeet kaur profile image59
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya, Sweet are the fruits of patience. Cheers for many more faster adsense cheques.

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

so now, the first paragraph of http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Secret-to-M … -Hubpages, will need a small revision!

Any plans for a book on Bow? I would buy it.

10. lakeerieartists profile image61
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya.  It does feel good.

Thanks, Lakeeerie!

11. Aya Katz profile image84

Thanks, girly-girl, Dan, Kristenblog, Livelonger, Charanjeet Kaur and Sunforged.

We will definitely celebrate today. I'm taking my daughter out to buy Easter chicks.

Sunforged, do I really need to change the hub, or just report the news in the comments?

I'm planning to write a book about Bow, but I'm hoping the musical with Daniel Carter will be done first!

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You dont have to change a thing!

but, Ill have to keep an eye out for the Book and musical launch  information.

A product creator is more likely to be successful than an affiliate.

But, Ill gladly promote the book once it exists!

Do you have a a massive collection of photographs of Bow? I imagine such a unique collection could be monetized, online and off

anyways, congrats...just thinking out loud that writing for adclicks is the least of your abilities

I do have a lot of photos of Bow from over the years, but how would I go about monetizing them? I think people on Hubpages don't really approve of hubs that are almost entirely composed of photos...

12. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Congrats smile And Many wishes for the next one to be even bigger smile

Thanks, Starme! For now, I'll just be happy if the next one comes much sooner.

13. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

YAY!! Aya you made me smile when I read this. Great job!

Thanks, Crazdwriter. Glad to make you smile!

14. The10DollarMark profile image61
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

Congrats.

I only got an amazon payout so far, but that's easy since I chose the gift card option (min $10, instead of 100).

But I actually don't have that many hubs, and most are really geared more toward amazon than adsense, so it's expected.

TenDollarMark, that's really good, the Amazon income, I mean! I haven't had any luck with Amazon yet. Any tips?

1. The10DollarMark profile image61
        The10DollarMarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol I've only made about 15$ from amazon. I wouldn't call that "very good", so I don't think I would have any good advice.

But I have chatted with some squidooers who actually make a decent amount per month (30-100$) and they were kind enough to give me some tips. Like when you pick keywords, pick something that is specific. Because a person googling (for example) "popular toys" may not necessarily be interested in buying, they might just be curious, whereas a person googling "hasbro furreal elephant" obviously knows what they want so they're more likely to have a sale. So even though there'd be less people googling the second term, it's a better keyword product wise, so it's more likely a visitor will actually click to find out more.

There were other tips they gave me, but it'd take way too long to write.

Thanks, TenDollarMark. So basically it's product centered hubs with specific keywords for Amazon income. I think I only have two like that -- one of them about shoes. The other, fanny packs. These are not big ticket items, so it would take a long time to generate income that way.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92

The first time I got one of those I thought it was a scam, and messed it up, losing the whole value. Good lesson, though. sad

15. Money Glitch profile image64
    Money Glitchposted 14 years ago

Congrats to ya! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0065.gif Way to go!

Thanks, Money Glitch! Now I know the secret to those emoticons, thanks to importing your comment!

16. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

Congrats on your first payout! It only gets easier from there, keep up the good work.

For note, it took me 9 months to get my first payout check, then about 3 for the next one, and I get them every other month now.  I'm $10 away from payout for the month of March, so I'm right on track to reach payout on a monthly basis from here on out, provided I publish at least one hub of my standard quality a week.

Yee-haw!

Thanks, Gamergirl! I think it's looking more like another seven months till the next payout for me, based on March income.

17. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I've heard a lot about this "It take about 9 months to get your first payout"

As I have been hear for 9 months, and seem to be about $99 away from my my first payment", should I be calling Adsense?

Thankfully, I am only about $10 away from my first Amazon payout

Despair not, Greek One! Your day will come.

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It took me 8 months to get my first payout.
      Then 4 months to get my second.
      Then 2 months each for the subsequent 3 payouts.
      For the last year or so I've been making $200-300/month. Looks like it's going to be $315 this month, a banner month despite not having published anything!

Persistence does pay off.

1. alexandriaruthk profile image70
        alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this is an inspiration for US

Congrats Aya!

2. Aya Katz profile image84

Livelonger, wow! You are an inspiration to us all. I'll have to take another long look at your hubs to see what you are doing that is so right!

18. Annie May profile image60
    Annie Mayposted 14 years ago

Congratulations - we all know what hard work and sheer determination it takes to get to where you are now. I'm looking forward to the day when I can put the same post up.

Annie May, thanks! May your day come sooner rather than later.

19. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!!! And have fun going out with your daughter for the easter chicks! big_smile

Thanks, Mieka! We already went. My daughter picked out two black chicks and two "red" (actually yellow) ones. They are adorable, and she is thrilled.

20. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Great work, Aya - well deserved after your hard work and tribulations.

I am looking forward to the book about Bow, too big_smile

Hi, Sufi! Good to see you! Thanks for the encouragement.

The question is what sort of book about Bow should I write? Scientific or general? I want the world to know what he can do, but I have a feeling that most people would be more interested in the human interest side of things. I'm torn...

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tough one, but I would go for the general - a bigger market and much easier to sell. You could always follow up with a more scientific one afterwards.

You could probably find a good middle way - think David Attenborough, Carl Sagan, and Stephen Hawking - very informative yet also very readable. With your flowing style of writing, you should be able to write a book that appeals to both levels smile

Appealing to both levels is a good idea -- although somewhat challenging to accomplish! Thanks, Sufi. I think you're right.

21. Aya Katz profile image84

Thanks, Alexandriaruthk and Rochelle Frank!

22. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 14 years ago

That is awesome!  Congratulations!

Thanks, Mutiny!

23. ThePartyAnimal profile image61
    ThePartyAnimalposted 14 years ago

Congrats - it seems like the first payout takes forever and for me it was just that and then I have been making it every month and far exceeding the minimum now. Almost like once it gets going it just builds and builds. Good luck and may it keep coming for you.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92

That's very encouraging Party Animal-- I'm seeing the beginnings, and I know there is mor I could do if I got really serious. (Hard for me to do.)
      Enjoy your party... and thanks, again.

2. Aya Katz profile image84

Wow! I need to follow your example, Party Animal!

24. Lamme profile image56
    Lammeposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!

Thanks, Lamme!

25. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Congrats, Aya - there's nothing quite like the first time! smile

26. Aya Katz profile image84

Thanks, Springboard and Shalini! Now I guess I need to go back to writing hubs, as my traffic has plummeted today. We can never rest on our laurels!

27. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

WTG, Aya! Here's to many, many more!

Thanks, Habee! I hope to keep it up.

28. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Aya congratulations on AdSense payout!  And thanks for starting this thread.  By sharing their own stories and stats, Hubbers have really provided some great perspective! 

From the info in this thread, plus other threads over time, I think I’ve done maybe a little better than average on my AdSense progress.  So here’s my info and stats for anyone who’s interested: 

-I wrote my 1st hub 26 Aug 09, about 7 months ago. 
    -My AdSense acct was approved and set up 11 Nov 09, less than 5 months ago. 
    -I made my first payout 22 Mar 10, (about 2 weeks ago) with about 115 hubs, and around 37,000 total page views. 
    -My Mar AdSense was over $50.  Who knows if that will hold, but if it does, it would put me at payout every other month. 

My hubs are on average 1000+ words, and (I think) well thought out and well written. 

I try to write at least 1 hub on the HubMob topic most weeks.  In this way I write on topics I would not otherwise have thought of or chosen. 

Of my top 10 most viewed hubs right now, 7 are HubMob hubs, with 4 of those also Health Hubs contest hubs.  Two of my current top 10 have been in my top 10, usually my top 5, for months.  They are HubMob topics that I definitely would not have otherwise picked. 

My HubMob hubs also help spike and balance my traffic.  I had great traffic in Feb from 2 hubs on Olympic Women’s Figure Skaters.  Now it’s at about 0, but I’m getting good traffic from a couple of my Health HubMob/contest hubs and a business HubMob hub. 

I’m definitely not super savvy with all of this.  I can’t really tell you which hubs or keywords are getting the clicks.  I have tried to look at AdWords for selecting titles and keywords for the last couple months, trying to be a little more targeted.  I try to pick terms that get on average 1K to 10K searches a month.  Sometimes more, up to 50K, but never huge numbers like 100K or more searches a month.  Sometimes I cross reference with how many returns on terms with Google search, and go with a term with the lowest returns. 

After getting nearly burned out from 28 contest hubs and 4 HubMob roundup hubs in 28 days, I’m going to try to step back from hub addiction, and spend more time doing some of the things sunforged has advised, to improve existing hubs and traffic.

McCrayne, wow, that's a lot of information! You seem to have been doing things all more or less right from the start! I think that the traffic spike I got from reddit early on really threw me off, because it was non-paying readers, so to speak. It's better to have a smaller, steady stream of much more useful readers.

It may be that it's a good idea to spread out to topics that are not what we would normally write about. That seems to work for you. I'll have to consider it...

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Aya.  Guess it's my nature to be long winded.

Not at all. It helps to know these things, and I'm glad you shared your experiences.

1. rmcrayne profile image90
            rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Many of the hubbers participating in sunforged's 60 day challenge have shared their stats, mostly average and total views.  Overall, I was pleased with where I stand, and super motivated to do some backlinking and promoting.  Here's sunforged's hub with links to the participants.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Goals-Planning- … n-HubPages

2. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great stuff !

29. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya!

Thanks, Rafini!

30. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!!  Isn't it such a great feeling of accomplishment?!! smile

The herbivorehippi, thanks! It's halfway between a feeling of accomplishment and one of bemusement!

31. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Congrats Aya!

Thanks, emievil.

32. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

congrats indeed

33. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Way to go, many congrats and heres to the next one. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)