Are you a dark poet?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 64 discussions (100 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MrMidNightposted 14 years ago

Do you think what you write is considered as dark poetry?

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. From when I was a child I always wrote "death" themed poetry. I remember my dad commenting on it, lol.

1. profile image0
        MrMidNightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds interesting WryLilt , i might have to check you out...

2. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definately not !

1. bsscorpio8 profile image58
        bsscorpio8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only when the lights are off.

2. tanzersrose profile image60
        tanzersroseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i hope so smile

3. Michael Leifer profile image60
        Michael Leiferposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's no question

4. PhinalJustice profile image58
        PhinalJusticeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In a sense yes, my recollections are, then again I say darkish lol, for many again show the endurance of dark, but ultimately they are written to inspire those to seek brighter days.

5. Wulf Dreamwalker profile image60
        Wulf Dreamwalkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The definition of dark poetry is all in a persons perspective some see death poetry as dark others seesad poems as dark .I personally write mostly uplifting poems but still have several I call dark

6. Ms.Ruiz profile image61
        Ms.Ruizposted 13 years agoin reply to this

somewhat. I just write based on my emotions. Some can be Good/ written mostly bad smile

7. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes I am

8. SylvieReisdon profile image61
        SylvieReisdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, i've written about death more than once.

9. profile image50
        ?e!posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well if you think most of these are dark poems...

http://www.poems-and-quotes.com/author.html?id=142074

then I am

10. InspiredHippy profile image68
        InspiredHippyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...Many of my poems are very dark with pain...real intense pain that takes my breath away even today when I read them.  Then there is the light side of me that writes about love and friendship.  Pain motivates me more to write so I have many more dark poems...
        Peace and God Bless...
        Becky Jo

3. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

mmmm, maybe at times I am. why?

1. profile image0

I just wanna to post this question see who else had a poetic darkside...

1. PhinalJustice profile image58
          PhinalJusticeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When poetry is raw, unrehearsed, written and then revisited, you can almost see their inner battle, and everyone has an inner battle. Oh the war I've scribbled on pages, dark side indeed, excellent question.

4. saddlerider1 profile image59
      saddlerider1posted 14 years ago

I write both dependent on my mood and temperment at the time.

5. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

you certainly do, and well.

1. saddlerider1 profile image59
        saddlerider1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you my friend, you do as well. Depends how much Red wine I've been sipping and you with your Scotch old son.

1. profile image0

Thats what sometimes defines poetry of all trades, in my perspective anyway, "EMOTION"................

6. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I don't consider myself a poet. wink

1. profile image0

Yeah Riiiiitttttttteeeee..........

7. H.C Porter profile image78
      H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I suppose some of it may be considered somewhat dark- I write the truth of emotions felt throughout my life- and I have had some very dark moments, so...

1. profile image0

Well thats admirable H.C Porter, maybe i'll stop by to give you my perspective on what you write.

8. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 14 years ago

define "dark".......

9. figment profile image76
      figmentposted 14 years ago

most definitely

1. profile image0

Definitely INDEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!
        Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

10. Rafini profile image80
      Rafiniposted 14 years ago

dark...as in dramatic?  or dark...as in death theme?  or dark...as in sad?  or dark...as in emotional?  or dark...as in horrific imagery?

Not sure, but it isn't butterflies and roses.

1. profile image49
        MrDSpadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say I can be a little dark.........  lol

2. profile image0

Yes what Rafini said basically defines what I meant when i posted this.....

MrDSpade, hahaha, yeah i do find what you write to be dark and sometimes humurous....

11. Joy56 profile image68
      Joy56posted 14 years ago

would not know how to be dark, any suggestions,

1. profile image0

Yeah you could read some of my poetry to get your own dark perspective..........

2. Dim Flaxenwick profile image82
        Dim Flaxenwickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For Joy,
                   Anyone with a huge smile and purple hair should not attempt to be ´dark´in any way. It would ruin  your image x

12. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

I think it was Emily Dickinson who said "all poetry is about death."

13. blondepoet profile image69
      blondepoetposted 14 years ago

No I am a blonde one smile

14. CMCastro profile image72
      CMCastroposted 14 years ago

I do write about the truth and the truth is that not everything to write about paints a pretty picture. My best emotional "hangovers" come out poetically and so I heal the best when I write. I always conclude my poetry with how my battle is won spiritually.

15. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image87
      BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

A lot of my poetry is extremely dark. Well, I've been told that anyway. tongue

16. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Nope..... I'm a White Boy Mate! hmm

17. UniqueBeauty profile image60
      UniqueBeautyposted 14 years ago

I think my poetry (none of it is on hubpages yet) is a form of dark poetry. I have written about a variety of issues, divorce, depression, suicide, cutting, perfection.... anything to understand the conflicts of those who suffer with these issues. I just become inspired to write, and I let it pour out. Although most of my poetry starts out pretty bleak, by the end of the poem there is always a ray, a crack or peep of light finding its way in. I believe in the phrase of leaving something (someone) better than when you found it (them).

Peace*

18. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Whenever I write poetry (not on HubPages ever), it's pretty much cornball, and I like it that way.  I don't feel like "having the life sucked out of me" by reading dark poetry.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why "not on HP ever"?

19. Journey * profile image66
      Journey *posted 14 years ago

Some of my poems have sadness in the emotion but I don't think they are dark.

20. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 14 years ago

I do not think so even when I write about bereavement, I think I it is about the sadness of loss rather than about dark hopeless despair. Some of my poems are about looking for the things that brighten life. So no,  if I wrote dark poetry it would be unintentional and in that case I would not share it.

21. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 14 years ago

I am finding it hard to understand this question , What if it is dark? Whats the problem with that , Music , poetry , even photography can be about "dark stuff", anyone who isn't or hasen't written about these phases of life , probably isn't a very interesting read.

22. SilentReed profile image81
      SilentReedposted 14 years ago

I have some "dark" poems which I wrote  when I was in an "inspired depress mood" I think blue poems would be the better discription :-)

23. Inner Harmony profile image61
      Inner Harmonyposted 14 years ago

Great question.

Yes, I write dark poems. It is a way to purge the soul. I occassionally throw in a happy poem now and then smile

Would love to read some of your poetry.

Cindy

24. LunesisMidnight profile image60
      LunesisMidnightposted 14 years ago

Some of my stuff may be considered dark but others may be considered love...it all depends on what im listening to at the time...and my mood lols

25. Underworld-Craft profile image60
      Underworld-Craftposted 14 years ago

Dark is consequential yet subjective and varies from one individual to another. I would consider myself as such SOMETIMES!

26. ohmygoodnessrae profile image60
      ohmygoodnessraeposted 14 years ago

Some of my stuff could be considered dark, but I'm not sure about my poetry. None of it is entirely happy, though.

27. profile image0
      tanamariaposted 14 years ago

Most of my stuff is from my teen-years. I don't know if I consider it "dark", but it definitely took me some time to develop my own style. I'm not a happy-go-lucky writer, that's for sure. I just write from life, and what I'm feeling.

-t

28. Apostle Jack profile image59
      Apostle Jackposted 13 years ago

MY WHOLE life is considered a dark message.This is define in my hub:When I Take Pin in Hand.A poem of perspective visions.

29. Richard Craig profile image61
      Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

I think I have some dark poetry but I have some light stuff as well.  It's good to have a balance.

30. epigramman profile image59
      epigrammanposted 13 years ago

I only write dark poetry if I get to wear my sunglasses ........and if anyone writes darker more creepy poetry than me then I'll let them borrow my sunglasses ......

31. AmaTainted profile image59
      AmaTaintedposted 13 years ago

i do believe everyone has a dark moment, its a part of experiencing life. i generally keep my darker poems to myself but i have found, if one wishes their readers to understand them, they have to show themselves as truthful as possible. so to answer the quesstion, yes...

32. ddsurfsca profile image71
      ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

yes---

Suicidal Tendencies
      Murder at Full Moon
      A Lunatics Insanities
      A Song Without a Tune

A Very Dark and Savage Place
      Full of Rage and Hate
      Where Nothing Really Changes
      Except perhaps the Date
      And Normal is so very Strange
      South of Heaven's Gate

Born but so unsure
      Why we Arrived
      Death is the Given Cure
      Unless we all Survive.

33. Maximum A profile image73
      Maximum Aposted 13 years ago

Sometimes when I think about negative stuff or the horrors of reality...

34. degrassixscene profile image59
      degrassixsceneposted 13 years ago

if something sad happens yes.But other times  i write about love.When it comes to my dark times its really intense sometimes i wonder where the darkness comes from

35. PhoenixPoet profile image53
      PhoenixPoetposted 13 years ago

Yes.  I generally am either writing dark poetry or intimate love poetry.

36. profile image0
      UNLOVED ROHITposted 13 years ago

Well I can't write when all the lights are off its possible for me to write poem only at light so i don't think I am a dark poet hehhe

37. poetvix profile image55
      poetvixposted 13 years ago

Honestly, it really depends on my mood as I like to delve into fantasy at times... but, yes I can be wrapped in an ebony cloud in a heartbeat.
      Death
      ~
      the eternal journey
      the path yet renewed
      the ease of strife
      gleaming in the night
      calling me home
      to begin anew
      spun out from the wheel of time
      to find the purpose mine
      to fight again
      to start and begin
      that which is never done
      dark or light
      eternal night
      calling me home
      kiss me one last time.
      Vix

1. Michael Leifer profile image60
        Michael Leiferposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try my hub about the breaking of teeth, sounds similar.

38. voice in season profile image59
      voice in seasonposted 13 years ago

I think a lot of my poetry comes from painful expiriences and a few of my poems have vague references to death, so if that makes me a dark poet then I am.

39. PhoenixPoet profile image53
      PhoenixPoetposted 13 years ago

I also think that if you write at night it can automatically become dark.  I think the only reason I have any relationship/love/intimate poetry is because it helps get me women AND every band needs a love ballad or two no matter what they play!

40. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 13 years ago

Some dark poems are beautiful. Poe comes to mind immediately, But there are many others. As for me, no--definitely not dark. I would say some my poems are somber, though.

41. Dim Flaxenwick profile image82
      Dim Flaxenwickposted 13 years ago

If you mean ´dark´the way I think you do. Then yes, I right ´dark when my mood is that way.
      I try to not let it get the better of me though.

42. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

I have never heard the term dark poetry, but after reading this thread it is pretty evident that dark means death. I can imagine soldiers writing poems like that but light poems are what I want to hear.

43. profile image0
      ssbrookhaven65posted 13 years ago

I am a dark poet. Yes, my work is dark, surreal, beautiful, sad, and disturbing. Dark poetry is anything that touches with the taboo of the human spirit. Death is only one dimension to an array of endless dimensions. Dark poetry doesn't even have to be scary. Some is quite beautiful. Consider Edgar Allen Poe's " Annabel Lee". It is one of my favorites.

44. CMCastro profile image72
      CMCastroposted 13 years ago

The opposite to dark is light and in order to understand and to create an image of the light is to understand and create an image of the dark. So, as much as I am a "Light " poet, I am, too, a "Dark" Poet.

45. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image60
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago

Most of the poetry I have written is pretty dark.

46. epigramman profile image59
      epigrammanposted 13 years ago

..only when the sun is shining and I just ran over my neighbor's prized roses with my lawnmower when he was gone on a one way trip!

47. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

No, not usually.  It varies with the topic and mood.

48. schoolgirlforreal profile image75
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

no, I don't write about vampires..

49. Jaggedfrost profile image60
      Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

How does one judge the darkness
      unless one assumes
      one is bathed in light
      tis unnerving to find
      the mind gets mixed up
      from time to time
      and they in darkness
      can think it light while
      rejecting all correction
      and casting the rest in blight.

50. torimari profile image69
      torimariposted 13 years ago

I love all things dark since as young as I could recall. Come on - horror hubs, dark art...etc., but never really wrote dark poetry. smile I find a lot of it these days, no matter what age you are, seems to be the musings of an emo teen.

51. Shelly Bryant profile image74
      Shelly Bryantposted 13 years ago

Yes, everyone says my poetry is dark.

1. Wulf Dreamwalker profile image60
        Wulf Dreamwalkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The definition of dark poetry is all in a persons perspective some see death poetry as dark others see sad poems as dark .I personally write mostly uplifting poems but still have several I consider dark i9n nature

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)