The opinions of others on ourselves - why do we care?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)
  1. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

The opinions of others on ourselves - why do we care?

Whilst we can all try to say "I don't care what anyone thinks of me" it's likely to be a lie - we do so! But why? Any answers?

2. SidKemp profile image86
    SidKempposted 10 years ago

I would suggest it is because of what we already believe about ourselves. The average person thinks over 10,000 thoughts per day, and most of them are negative. Whether we admit it or not, we constantly run ourselves down. Then we need the opinions of others to boost ourselves up - or confirm our fears and run us down even further.

There is another way - a path of self-awareness. Please read my hubs on the 7 Habits, on Zen meditation, and on self-evaluation for more. Particularly, you might like "What makes self-evaluation so hard?"

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer as always, Sid.  Voted THIS answer as THE BEST!

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 10 years ago

Sure.  SURVIVAL. 
    If a group becomes convinced that any one member is "not part of them", i.e. "too different", the group tends to become a mob and attempts to destroy the "different" individual.   Herd mentality or whatever.  Keeping that in mind, it only makes sense to care SOME about what others think of you--because if they're thinking of killing you, and you miss the signals, guess who's going to end up dead?

4. marwan asmar profile image66
    marwan asmarposted 10 years ago

Because its human nature. In general we like to be thought of as "good"

5. d.william profile image72
    d.williamposted 10 years ago

Great question.  Most people are insecure for many reasons.  Some stem from T.V. shows that usually only show perfect looking people, some from their perception of themselves that they got from family members that constantly criticize them for whatever reasons.  So, we see ourselves as imperfect in comparison to what we perceive as a 'perfect'  person. 
    If we find we are not the smartest person in our class, we view ourselves as less intelligent than those around us.
    We are constantly reminded of what, or who, is more intelligent or beautiful than we see ourselves.  So we look for confirmations of our worth from others.  When it is positive we are elated and tend to pursue whatever it is that gives us that positive affirmation.  If negative too often it leads to depression, self loathing, and feelings of inadequacy, insecurity, and low self esteem.
    Those who do the criticizing of others have their own defects that they try to overcome by finding fault in others.
    When we realize we are all that we can be,  in a world of such diverse beauty, we may logically conclude that everyone is beautiful in their own way, and that includes us as well.  So when we reach that plateau we can honestly say that the opinions of others matter very little in our lives. 
    But hateful, and spiteful names and comments still hurt even the most 'secure' person.  It is just human nature.

6. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I look at it a bit differently. We are all affected by the thoughts and opinions of others to some degree, but when I say I don't care what others think of me - what i mean by that is that I will continue to be true to myself regardless of what others think of me.  That doesn't mean I don't consider their opinions or value their input for what it shows me, but it means in the end, I decide what is right for me and that I walk my own path authentically.  I can value others opinions without letting them bend me out of shape or cause me to veer from myself to please them etc. 

I spent too many years being a "people pleaser" at all costs and I was miserable. When I became true to myself I found joy smile so it's not that you don't "care" it's that you don't let it change your core self.

1. d.william profile image72
      d.williamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

great reply, it would be the conclusion to my own statement in a perfect world.  You are one of the lucky few.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your answer.  Those who treat others like fools will be the fool in the end.  What goes around, comes around.  What you sow you shall reap.

3. WalterPoon profile image69
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it's an individual's opinion, you shouldn't give too much weight to it. After all, it's just his/her opinion. But if it is that of an organization, e.g. your hubscore... By the way, the more I do, the more my hubscore falls, LOL. It disappoints.

7. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years ago

I like the answer from "Ghost32" best.  It points to the fact of us being a gregarious species, with the survival instincts still very much part of our psyche.

My curiosity is about my Commenter Level, which has been downgraded from VI to V.   I am wondering why?   What have I said?  Did I offend someone?  It does not really matter to me, except that I don't like to offend people.   That is part of my own "survival instinct."   Sure, I want to remain authentic in what I say/write, but a bit of feedback is also part of the pattern of survival.

8. WalterPoon profile image69
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Who say I care? If you call me a genius, it won't make me a genius. If you call me an idiot, I don't become an idiot. But if you treat me with disrespect, I invoke Moses' tooth for tooth, LOL.

9. definitions profile image59
    definitionsposted 10 years ago

People don't think, that's the big secret.  They're too busy thinking about themselves, their jobs, their mortgages, so they're not thinking about other people.  They might say something unkind, but that's really just about them.

1. WalterPoon profile image69

Right, and the next moment, you ask them why they said that, they stare blankly at you and ask, "When did I say it? Don't simply say!", LOL.

2. definitions profile image59
      definitionsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@WalterPoon: Exactly!  They're so busy from one minute to the next, trying to get through their lives.  It's not worth analysing too much, I say.

10. Darksage profile image62
    Darksageposted 10 years ago

Is normal for us humans to want to know what others think about us. Devastating or not, it matters to us even how small it is. I mean other people see us in ways that we don't see ourselves. I may find myself, cool, attractive, but others may not find me that way. So I would ask for their opinions. The thing is don't be afraid of criticisms as they may make you a better a person. But what other people say to you, does not mean that's who you are.

there is an interesting article in the science magazine that sums it all up best:
      http://www.sciencemag.org/content/320/5 … 7.abstract

11. IDONO profile image61
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

First, it's very important to evaluate the source of those opinions and the motivation behind them. They can be constructive or destructive. I don't instantly react to those opinions, but I do consider them. I find it extremely difficult to be objective about myself. Like most people, many times I see myself to be what I wish that I was rather than what I actually am.
        I think that the "I don't care" attitude is a defense mechanism when actually one is saying,"I can't handle the truth." Not caring what others think sounds like an excellent recipe for isolation.
         And you are right. It's a lie. Let's make it simple. If one doesn't care, then why get a haircut? Why wash clothing? Why mow your lawn? These things aren't done because they make one feel warm and fuzzy inside. They are done to project an image in order to bolster the opinion of others, even if they don't know you.
         Opinions of others is what motivates us. The only way other's opinions could mean nothing, would be if we knew EVERYTHING. I don't know anyone like that.

UR point isn't made with ur examples. We mow to keep bugs, snakes & mice away, we cut hair, shower + cause it is health & comfort motivated.opinions do matter, it's the degree they effect us that matters-->constructive criticism-->OK-in

2. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK. Mow designs in ur yard; shower with Axe and get a Mohawk haircut. I've seen manicured yards with the inside of the house being a dump. Ur question implied 0 degree of effect. Not what degree of effect. Can't be both. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

3. d.william profile image72

My point? there R always exceptions 2 every blanket comment about others. Opinions R like rectums, everyone has one & most of them stink. We R all entitled 2 ours - I'm just saying. The ending on my other comment was: insults not so much.

4. IDONO profile image61
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree DWilliams. That's why I began with considering the source. You are right. Insults are useless. I never believed in motivation by demotivation. Constructive criticism only comes from one who cares. The rest are self-serving.

12. Aadom23 profile image59
    Aadom23posted 10 years ago

Its so true many people say they don't care what others think of them but it's surely a lie. Its is a form of being accepted; we tend to care so much of what others think of us that it is very difficult to take in criticism and negative opinions. The only way in which a person can overcome what others think of him/her is if that person has very good confidence in themselves.

1. WalterPoon profile image69

Seems like your first sentence and your last sentence contradict each other.

13. self-counsel profile image60
    self-counselposted 10 years ago

We know ourselves better than someone else. However, in my humble opinion, we should also listen to what other people have to say about us--especially from people we love and trust just like our parents, siblings, and friends. They are the ones who could observe our own self from the outside (behavior, habit, action). Their constructive criticism about us would help in developing a better personality.

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

I think different people have different reasons for caring, but I think the most legitimate reason to care about what others think of us is that people treat us based on what they think of us.    If people can't/don't/won't see (or at least imagine or consider) that there may be a lot more to us than what they see, we're essentially invisible.  Worse, though, we have people talking to us, or treat us, as if their "reality" doesn't even match the "reality of what we are" and know to be true.

That aside, I think there's something respectful of others in at least caring a little bit about some of what they think about us, at least in terms of our wanting to be viewed as being "some basic level of socially acceptable".  That doesn't mean not being who/what we are and instead only worrying about what others think.  It doesn't even mean worrying about what others think much at all.  It just kind of means, maybe, not "making a big, giant, 'statement'" that says, "I don't give a rat's bottom what anyone thinks of me.  I'm going to be as rude, crude and socially unacceptable as I feel like being."  We don't have to give up being who/what we are in order to fit in to one group or another (and we shouldn't).  Still, some basic level of fitting in with the rest of mankind, and some sense of belonging in this world, is normal.

Compared to a lot of people, I'm pretty good with not caring a whole lot about what others think.  Still, I'm the first to admit that I don't want people thinking I'm something less than what I am.  I worked hard building myself into who/what I am as a person, and I like and care about people.  I don't want people thinking less of me when it comes to those things; but also, I don't want anyone thinking more of me (for the reasons I first mentioned above).

When all is said and done, I think most people just want to be respected for the decent, caring (or whatever) people that they are.  If others think less of them that generally means not being respected for what they know is real about them.

15. Acmontero profile image60
    Acmonteroposted 10 years ago

In my personal opinion, no matter how many times we say " we don't care" we really DO care. For example, I will use my work place and an isue i have been having with my boss. He has been really hard on me, disrespectful, and down right mean. I get furious in the heat of the moment and then say "I do not care what he thinks of me". However, deep down I know I care. He is my boss, what he thinks of me will determine where I go in the company. If he thinks bad of me I will be stuck in the same position for a while.

Let us be true to ourselves, hard work does not always pay off now a days. It's who you know, how you get along with them, etc. So I have to stay on his good side if I wanted to grow. Conclusion no matter how many times I say "I do not" I really do.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How true that is.... so honest.  Great comment.  This need is built into us, I believe, maybe an instinct linked to "survival of the fittest."

16. Kyle Briggs profile image60
    Kyle Briggsposted 10 years ago

Some people fear the other people's opinion on them as they fear to be degraged, bullied, outcasted, and what other reasons may be. But some people put significance on the opnions of others as it is a way of improving one's self. In some cases, it takes an extra pair of eyes for us to see things more clearly.

17. Kevin Peter profile image61
    Kevin Peterposted 10 years ago

We live in a society. So we must give consideration for the feelings of other people. As a social being, we must try to live in a manner appealing to others. It doesn't mean we have to do all things to please others but importance has to be given to that too.

18. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 10 years ago

Everyone wants to be accepted so many times we fall into the trap of "conforming" to whomever we're around.  However, the only person we should care about pleasing is our Heavenly Father!  If He is happy with us, we don't have to worry about other peoples' response!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)