What do you believe causes homosexuality?

Jump to Last Post 51-73 of 73 discussions (267 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Jacqui.....OK, I'll add my "beliefs" into the discussion here.  I can appreciate your research.  I don't think it hurts any of us to be exposed to various thoughts, opinions and beliefs to just about everything life throws at us.
    I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with the word, "Causes," but I'll try to work with it.
    IMHO, a human being either IS or is NOT homosexual, bisexual, heterosexual or any other term connected to our HUMAN sexuality.  As dashing said so well (as he always does)  I also do  not recall ever choosing or making a decision to be hetero.  As young as 6 yrs old, I can recall having crushes on BOYS...just boys.   Now, how do you suppose a 6 year old would just NATURALLY be drawn to an attraction to one sex or the other?
    I'd like to say this is quite like asking what caused my brown eyes, my height limit in adulthood and perhaps any inborn talents that I simply HAD without instruction.....How do we explain great artists?  Personally, I can't draw or create a decent-looking stickman!   I'll bet that wasn't DaVinci's problem!
    Simply said in my own words?  We become WHO we are during the development process IN THE WOMB.   It's all there.....we are  "Ready to Exist as We Are"....upon entering the world. DNA-------GENETICS

I wouldn't think of "arguing" with a soul, in terms of their personal opinions.  They are what they are and we are all entitled.  To those who believe that homosexuality is a "choice" made at some point, ANY point....I would only ask a simple question.  "So, let me make sure I understand you please.....It is your opinion that rational, sane & healthy human beings CHOOSE to be homosexual and stand ready, equipped and happy to be ousted, ridiculed, taunted, insulted, berated, damned, shunned & shamed & tied to the back of a truck to be dragged for miles..... by family, friends, strangers, groups, employers, landlords, business owners and CITY CLERKS WHO ISSUE MARRIAGE LICENSES?"   If their answer is "Yes,"  I would smile as I thanked them.  No time nor desire to argue.  WHY would anyone?
    Good luck with your research Jacqui.  I hope you will share your findings with us in a hub.  Peace, Paula

2. profile image0
    thegeckoposted 8 years ago

The same biological mechanism that causes attraction between opposites sexes.

3. ladyguitarpicker profile image74
    ladyguitarpickerposted 8 years ago

Being an older person on HubPages I want to answer this question. Most of you in the site our very blessed. You have the right to be open and live in a time when you can be yourself. I believe you are simply born straight or gay. People don't have a choice it is how they are born. In the 1950 and 1960 years people had no real choice. I have friends that died for such a stupid reason. Marriage was also forced on people and it was wrong. Be grateful you guys are free.You can do what you want.

1. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Stella. I am grateful for the hard work of those before me, who likely suffered for being gay, that paved the way for acceptance on today's society. Without them, we would still be afraid, closeted and living lies. They are appreciated.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Stella, you are so right. We were so brainwashed that we were failures if we weren't at least engaged by the time we left college. Many of us married the first person who asked us and dropped out. Later we became divorced. I finished at age 48.

3. rodrigo sebidos profile image68
      rodrigo sebidosposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're, on the right track RLWalker, as evolution is not a smooth path, there are spikes along its way-"GENETIC Drift" is one, could stay hidden for hundred generations and not expressed another is mutation

4. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 8 years ago

i just (10/8/15) read an article on yahoo that scientists were able to predict with 70% accuracy the sexual orientation of twins based on the action of five sets of genes. i am not surprised. the theory is that genes and the environment in the womb decide sexual orientation. sounds good to me, someone with a strong medical background.

Hmmmm interesting! Thanks for sharing!

5. profile image51
    yenteeb barnabasposted 8 years ago

Females can wound young boys by smothering, criticizing, controlling, and ignoring proper boundaries. Some boys who have experienced such wounding develop unhealthy relationships with women in adulthood in which they either push them too far away or cling too closely to them, disrupting their capacity for opposite-sex attraction.
    Unhealthy childhood relationships with females can distort a man’s view of the female gender, affect how he sees himself in relation to women, damage his sense of masculinity, and prevent the natural development of a sense of genderedness. This can leave the individual without a sense of the opposite sex as complementary and attractive.
    Feeling incongruent with what a man believes his gender requires may create a psychologically unstable situation, resulting in the unconscious mind compensating through fixations or attractions toward males and masculinity.
    In addition to its potential role in conditioning sexual arousal, sexual abuse can create or intensify gender incongruity, disaffiliation from other males, and if the perpetrator is female, fear or hatred of women. It may also create repetitive patterns of compulsive sexual behavior.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yenteeb, thank you, interesting points.
      You have just join the forum. Would you like to tell us the ba kground to you knowledge?

2. jlpark profile image79

Thanks for your answer. I'm also curious as you provided possible causes for gay men but not lesbians.
      Alan - thanks for your interesting question to the poster.

3. profile image0

Thanks Jacqui.  It certainly has got my brain ticking with possibilities -  but self-diagnosis needs a lot of caution.

4. profile image51
      yenteeb barnabasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

am young guy,a high school student and i really like writing and reading

5. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What you say is certainly true; but that doesn't lead to a sexual or romantic  attraction to males if it isn't genetically coded in the first place.  Instead, it just leaves you screwed up emotionally toward females.

6. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

In my many years of education & experience.  Gay men do not HATE women.  They are simply genetically disposed to be sexually attracted to men.  Nor do lesbians HATE men.  Ur complex explanation (opinion) is quite flawed.

6. pratik8307 profile image54
    pratik8307posted 8 years ago

Nothing causes homosexuality. Its purely hormonal. In the womb a baby will be flushed with estrogen or testosterone. If the balance is slightly different it will cause changes in the body structure, or hormone structure.We studied this in Psychology

1. fpherj48 profile image60

pratik...All due respect Sir, "babies are NOT flushed" with hormones in the womb. Also, whatever school you "studied this in Psychology,"  get your money back.  You've been robbed.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Does this mean we can blame homosexuality on the stork?

3. fpherj48 profile image60

LOL, MzB...U crack me up!  I confess, I've cursed out that slippery feathered friend, Mr. Stork, a time or 2.  I saw him last 34 yrs ago, at which time I threatened to shoot his ass if I saw him headed my way ever again!...LOL! good to laugh!

4. profile image0

"Birds of a Feather"  just as funny!

7. Bru Swan profile image80
    Bru Swanposted 8 years ago

Well, i can't say there is a cause that makes someone homosexual. I've always felt that it was an innate feeling we are born with. So in my opinion, i'd have to say there is no cause it's just how nature shuffled your genes.
    Here's a like about that i just read.    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen … story.html

8. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

Whether one feels he/she was "born this way" is not the issue!  It is what IS WRITTEN in His Word!

If one feels homosexuality is "innate," then it's just "a cross one must bear!"  Luke 14:27 says "And WHOEVER doth not bear his cross, and come after me, CANNOT be my disciple."  Therefore, HIS WORD is "where I get my belief!" 

I Corinthians 9:27 says "But I keep under my body, and BRING IT INTO SUBJECTION, lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

Plain as a nose of your face!  "Bring it into subjection" world or cannot be a Disciple of Christ!

1. profile image0

Your religious views are already known Norine.  In my life they are not relevant, never relevant
      I hope  you are not allowed to dominate this thread as you have others.

2. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Alan: Did author ask 1 not to do this? 
      "PLEASE DO NOT DISPARAGE ANYONE'S response!"

Can't  u respect wishes?

3. profile image0

You offend Norine.  Stop doing it, whatever your motive. 
      It is not Christ-like to shove your "message" in the face of others, no matter how passionately you believe it.  Change your attitude or leave, please.

4. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not Christ- like to shove messages into faces but it is often atheist-like to do the same thing smile

5. profile image51

Thanks OZ!

Alan, why do u comment if offended?  You're not "forced" to read or listen to comments fm WORD!   My Bible says "Teach!" (Matt 28:20) which is Christ-like! 

Author writing HUB reqt'd ALL resp & didn't say NO BIBLE!

6. jlpark profile image79

However, you do need to answer the question. Which you did not do. I will give u a chance to answer the actual question. If u cannot, this answer will be removed as it does NOT pertain to the question at hand - u have not discussed cause at all.

7. Oztinato profile image76
      Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Norinne
      I am not agreeing with you! It is wrong to be overly pushy. Just couldn't resist making a witty pertinent comment to JCL.

8. profile image51

Oz: Doesn't matter! Alan "picks" when author asked not but Jn 10:10!!

Jacq" "Innate" n some "traumatic exp" n most! Doesn't matter just a "cross to bear!" "Feelings" irrelevant! Bring body into subjection or "immature" & TRUTH is ignored!

9. jlpark profile image79

It does matter when it's the entire premise of question. I didnt ask 4 gods view or wat should b done, but what causes it. This is NOT the place 4 yr statements unless they directly relate to cause (+they don't). I ask u refrain frm further.

10. profile image51

Oh! Sorry! I missed the "NO BIBLE" request in Question.  Also you mentioned "religion" (which opened door) in Question & biblical response only appropriate!

Sorry for intrusion!  Unfollowing!

11. jlpark profile image79

I welcome religion 2 base your theory of cause on, I didnt ask 4 info as 2why it's wrong. There is big difference. U barely touch on cause, + dive in2 what God would expect. If u'd said 'my faith teaches cause as this..' That wld hv been welcomed

12. krillco profile image85
      krillcoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Norine, your pharisaical approach to Christianity is everything Jesus preached against. You can be pretty sure that you have made God into your own image if you discover God hates all the same kind of people that you do.

13. fpherj48 profile image60

Noreen, I noticed ur comment that U ONLY believe GOD, because "MEN LIE"  So U must include the MEN who wrote your Bible. Oops!  We all KNOW U will comment again, so why the melodramatic, "Unfollow?" (although that would be acceptable)

9. tom bifwoli profile image60
    tom bifwoliposted 8 years ago

Types of food and drug abuse, poor opposite gender relationship

1. profile image0

Pure guess work, Tom.... but welcome to HubPages.
      Although this question about cause(s) can be interesting, ultimately it does not matter.  I am as I am.   Nothing has nor ever will change my sexual interest or orientation.

Tom, thank you for sharing yr answer. I am similar to Alan, none of this applies and still gayer than gay. But I welcome all thoughts on the matter, so thanks!

3. krillco profile image85
      krillcoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

For Alan and Jacqui: As my hero Mr. Rogers used to say: "I like you, just the way you are!"

4. profile image0

Why thank you, Sir.  One of my favorite songs, too!

5. jlpark profile image79

Awww thanks Krillco! The same goes for you!

10. Oscarlites profile image69
    Oscarlitesposted 8 years ago

just one short story for the record, when I was a teenager, I was fairly close to a family where the young mother wasn.t happy with her biological one year old son, and kept dressing him up in girls clothes and kept on telling him he was a girl and kinda forced it into his life in the sense that he not only became feminine minded, he made his mother happy and his world was set for him to become a female gender preference as he grew up.  that being said, you can't tell me, or prove that undue influence like this doesn't exist..  is this just one rare case?

1. profile image0

It might cause him gender confusion later in life...might!... but it would not cause him to be inherently homo- or hetero-sexual.  (In my opinion and understanding).  Parental ego can have other effects on a child's development, too.  Not good.

Thanks for the example, Oscar. I'm not sure it would have bee beneficial for his development but unlikely to change sexuality. however I am not him so I cannot answer that. Thanks for sharing.

3. profile image0

There's one other thought has just occurred to me: that expression "feminine minded."  The term homosexual does not imply effeminate.  Many heterosexual men are apt to cross-dress and act effeminate.  I don't.  Just want to make that clear.

11. TravelDude11 profile image61
    TravelDude11posted 8 years ago

I am bisexual and have been my entire life, however I struggled my entire life with this because of the hate and intolerance. I know from personal experience as well as my studies with psychology and work in the field that we are born this way, sexuality isn't chosen. It is normal and should be accepted as such by everyone.

Thanks for your answer Robby. I particularly agree with your last sentence~

2. profile image52
      peter565posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If Japan conqueror Australia and New Zealand in WW2, it's bad in short run, but good in long run. Japanese are anti-discrimination and would teach it to next gens here, in school. Pro discrimination institution like Catholic church would be outlaw

3. jlpark profile image79

Peter - your comment doesn't seem to fit in this one. NZ is a secular, very accepting country, with multiple cultures, religions etc. Not conquered by Japan and anti-discrimination anyway. Are you sure it was to go with this one?

12. Talers profile image68
    Talersposted 8 years ago

Like every other human attribute, I believe that sexuality is determined by both genetic and environmental factors; I've had friends that always acted a little effeminate, but didn't actually realize they were gay until they were either exposed to certain people which in turn exposed them to different "scenes". San Diego has an active gay community in the "Hillcrest" neighborhood; and I think he realized that this was his sexual preference when he actively started spending weekends up there.
    I believe growing up in areas like the "bible belt" may make it harder for people to feel comfortable realizing this about themselves. Maybe they have a base genetic inclination toward homosexuality, but the repressed atmosphere may lead them never engage this part of their psyche. Idk, I guess these are just my deductions, coupled with some anecdotal evidence.

13. Missy Smith profile image79
    Missy Smithposted 8 years ago

Hmmm...very interesting question about a very controversial and debated subject matter through the years. What do you believe causes homosexuality? Well, is there truly anything that "causes" it, or is it just that we are who we are. We shouldn't really have to analyze that should we?

In another sense though, I do believe for some people conditions may have made them the way they are. For example; a female child who was sexually abused by men. I believe in that situation, it could play a part in why they later turn out homosexual. I actually know someone who was abused as a child, and they are gay, and always have been since they were old enough to choose a partner. I have no issues with it at all, and quite frankly, would probably feel the same way.

Then, there are the ones that just seem to know from childhood that they are more attracted to the same sex. To me, it's no big thing, because the truth is; we are all born with female and male chromosomes. Just because you formed into a girl on the outside, to me, doesn't mean that's the main gene you have on the inside?

I also believe we have all honestly thought about how it would be if we were with the same sex. And some may have even experienced it to find out. I definitely think I'm heterosexual, but I must admit; I have seen a few women that a thought of something different crossed my mind. Does this make me bi-sexual? Heck, I don't know, Maybe? I don't really care.

I do know that up to this point I have only been with and in love with the opposite sex, so if I'm to be placed in a category, I guess I'm straight. However, I would just much rather look at loving someone as just loving someone no matter what gender. And I am definitely all for being yourself no matter what others think.

This subject matter has been a big part of why I say I'm spiritual instead of religious. Excuse me...but no matter what you say, you will never convince me that God will give up on someone and turn them away just because they loved the same sex. It's just not fathomable to me.

14. rodrigo sebidos profile image68
    rodrigo sebidosposted 8 years ago

Hi!  Jacqui, Here's my answer to your Q, confining to academic side only. A man has 46 chromosomes, 44 somatic, 2 sex chromosomes, X, and Y chromosome, X chromosome determines femaleness while the Y chromosome determines maleness, therefore, individuals having XX chromosomes are female while individuals having XY  chromosomes are males. During fertilization, one sex chromosome comes from the father and another comes from the mother to determine the sex of the offspring or progeny, this is the start of sexual orientation, but first consider the equation=P=G + E + GE, P= phenotype- the one you observed  or see, whether Straight or Gay, G (genes =DNA), E=environment (maternal, upbringing,food, education, peers, etc,),GE=interaction( Genetic x Environment).Maternal influence begins at Fertilization, only the male genes enters the egg while the mother provided the E for the developing embryo including maternal mitochondria (have its own genes also). When a man is born he/she is "Tabula Rasa" in latin means "blank slate" or no memory for nature to write experiences vital to his/her development. The brain collect these experiences from our senses(see, hear, feel, etc) into cognitive processes or store this information in the brain cells (have genes also) for future use. It seems that at this early stage, GE interaction is already apparent, if the penetrance of Y genes is low many of the X-linked characters will manifest in the individual even if by birth He is male, remember that the X chromosome came from the mother  and not from the father, we don't really know what happened to the genes in the Y chromosome  (probably mutation due to pre- and post- natal events), At puberty, the genes in the X chromosome start to express as influenced by the brain  significantly  in the phenotype (Sexual Orientation), more female hormone progesterone is produced compared with male hormone testosterone more secondary female characters are expressed and this is further enhanced by E, more female association than males perhaps, the reverse may also apply to Gay women (Lesbian). IN other words Homosexuality in not by choice! but the Product of your G interacting with E (GXE). Therefore, Accept what you are, live free! it's not your fault, BE HAPPY! TY.

15. RLWalker LM profile image60
    RLWalker LMposted 8 years ago

This is a tough question so I wish to tackle it, although do not wish to offend anyone.

I believe what we're talking about is actually a little complicated. As I see it, it involves (A) sexual attraction, (B) emotional affinity and (C) self-identity.

Now there are 2 genders and we have 3 components of the human psyche and physiology so off the bat there should theoretically be 2^3 = 8 different combinations of these three things and so possibly 8 distinct gender types.

As I understand it, heterosexuality consists of A and B oriented towards the opposite gender and C towards the same gender as defined by physical characteristics.

Homosexuality is when A and B are flipped so they are oriented towards the same gender regardless of C.

It would be reasonable to assume that there are multiple different causes for homosexuality. It would seem to me that the most obvious, and probably most common, path to homosexuality, is the development of a self-identity as the opposite sex, and consequently the development of emotional affinity and then sexual attraction towards the gender opposite to your self identity.

I know that this is what I've observed and I'm sure many. Be it man or woman, in most cases a person attracted to the same gender possesses notable attributes of the opposite gender as they see themselves as men or woman regardless of their physical body.

As to what might cause the flip in the development of ones identity, I'm not sure but it seems reasonable to assume that this must happen early in life.

After reading many of the other answers, I tend to disagree with the emphasis on genetics. I don't believe it is purely genetic, nor do I believe personality and self identity are purely genetic. Instinct is wholly genetic but perception of beauty, personal preference, habits, beliefs, likes and dislikes change because they are acquired or developed, not grown like a tree. So do emotions, emotional traits and affinities, empathy and sexual attraction, fetishes, "soulmates".

1. profile image0

A very reasonable response and certainly not boring.  It opens up more thought with the aim of better understanding.  Thank you.

Thanks for your answer - it's more complex than most realise isn't it?

16. AshlyChristen profile image80
    AshlyChristenposted 8 years ago

free will. Each person is different
    its a test for Christians and people of all kinds...it is easier to hate and refuse to understand than it is to love and accept
    this is the perfect test of faith! we lead by example
    to those hating, excluding, mocking, and condemning....your doing it wrong.
    to each his own
    live and let live
    i think its ok to share your views
    but to condemn another for it is wrong
    so, as far as causes of homosexuality....i believe much of it stems to sexual abuse as a child for one, secondly, they like it, thirdly, its taboo. so lets break some rules. and lastly, who understands you best than that of your own sex?

1. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Great thoughts Ashley,  Your last paragraph speaks of predisposing factors that lead to homosexuality, do u think there's more to this? a comment says  why they flip from A-B or vice versa?Will society eventually accept them as part of human evolutio

2. AshlyChristen profile image80
      AshlyChristenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Rodrigo
      I have many friends and family in the gay community. Many if not all of them have been sexually abused. sadly this is a common thing. sometimes it has nothing to do with that, but other factors, perhaps hormones, chromosomes etc,

17. profile image52
    annabaezaposted 8 years ago

in my own opinion i rather think that environment has alot to do with it not only that but rather that it is a unique quality that they as children grow up and discover for themselves, being homosexual is rather who they are baiscally culture and environment and social behavior can cause it

Thanks for you answer Annabeeza.

18. platinumOwl4 profile image72
    platinumOwl4posted 8 years ago

The constant bombardment by media that this is an alternative. Coupled with the mind altering Political Correctness that disallows critical analysis of any subject and any person who can think is pummeled in the submission.

1. profile image0

Sir Owl, I am always open to  critical analysis, even critcism at me personally.  But it needs to be accompanied by fairness.  If that analysis comes from a mind that is already made up, "period," then what would be the benefit of discussion?

2. RLWalker LM profile image60
      RLWalker LMposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're free to think and speak critically here. Your opposition is free to do the same. Speak up.

19. jimburnham profile image59
    jimburnhamposted 8 years ago

"Causes" is a hot-button word and implies someone starts out as heterosexual, is conscious of it, and then somehow changes based on an experience or physical change. It's not like catching a cold. A cold can be cured. But that's a bad analogy because it implies what you are is a bad thing that needs curing. Also, gay men and women do not "recruit" or seek to make people "switch sides". These are myths invented to justify intolerance. You take a certain path because you know you belong on that path. Some "choose" to fight it because they think society will not accept it. Others accept it and the only "choice" they make is to remove themselves from the intolerance or stay and work to change the intolerance. But the good thing is, the world in general is becoming more tolerant with some exceptions.

20. days leaper profile image61
    days leaperposted 8 years ago

a rejection of Christianity and a decision to come and live this way at the spiritual level.

Thanks for sharing days leaper. What about homosexuality in Muslim countries? Or of another faith that disagrees? Still a rejection of faith? I'm not knocking yr answer - I'm curious

21. steveso profile image76
    stevesoposted 8 years ago

There is no cause for homosexuality or heterosexuality. I am gay and that is just who I am. Whether you are gay or straight you just have to be able to feel comfortable being who you are, regardless of what other people may say or think.

Yes, you're right Steve, enjoy life that's yours! no matter what other people may say.

22. johnceccon profile image61
    johncecconposted 8 years ago

I'll probably catch a lot of Krap for this one, but here goes. So far, everything I've seen, heard, and read are best guesses. Sure, there are a ton of studies where they basically take a bunch of gay people, a bunch of straight people, and a bunch of I-don't-know people and watch (oh, sorry....study) how they behave. That's what a study is. Then a bunch of bonehead psychologists decide what it all means. Then, some other equally boneheaded people will run another study that disagrees with the first study. It's dizzying. I read a few articles about biologists who are looking for the gay gene, but they always get around to saying things like “they MAY have found a gay gene”, or then there is the “could possibly be” statement, (doctors, NASA scientists, and miracle weight loss remedies love that one). As of right now, nobody knows. Now, having said that, the following ridiculous opinion is just as valid as anything I've read here so far.

It's a genetic mutation in humans and the other handful of species (there's about 50, google it)on Earth that display this behavior. A blind man can see it from a mile away. Think about it, all animal life on this planet requires a male and a female getting together in order for that species to reproduce. If that doesn't happen, that species goes away. That's like first year biology stuff. In another equally ridiculous analogy, lets say ISIS put something in the water, or the hummus, and it turned all of the men on the planet gay. The human race would be gone in one or two generations. So, that's what I'm going with. As a matter of fact, after I post this, I'm going over to the Blarney Stone Pub by my house and see if I can convince three drunks of my discovery. I'll tell them I'm a doctor or a biologist. I'm an engineer, I know how to sound smart if I have to.

You're correct in your assessment John, mutation do happen in pre-or post-natal pregnancies, hormonal imbalance modified by the environment. Homos are insecure to be called "Evolutionary dead end"  "Les" clinically get impregnated to re-create family

23. chales steel profile image57
    chales steelposted 8 years ago

The answer is very simple that if people not found girl friend or boy friend then they develop different taste and become homosexual. Sometime its mental block, and some time its just simple love like normal...

Chales, you're off tangent, the homos will not accept such kind of reasoning, according to them it's not a matter of choice,  it's inborn! Thanks for dropping by.

2. chales steel profile image57
      chales steelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

what if some one choose it as a profession. will you call it choice or some think as.

3. profile image0

Rodrigo, will you please drop "homo" and "les."  It's crude, ignorant, vulgar, in the same way you might refer to "a nigger."  We are all human beings, supposed to have intelligence and awareness of the bigger picture.  Respect all round, please.

4. rodrigo sebidos profile image68

Alan, sorry if you feel that way, I'll be more cryptic next time. No offense. Nice discussion.

5. profile image0

Thank you Rodrigo.

6. jlpark profile image79

Chales- thanks for your answer.
      Rod - any theory is welcome here even if it is disagreed with.

7. profile image0

I wonder why Chales got banned.   We will never know....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)