I just want to know: Do you agree with same-sex marriage or gay marriage?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 150 discussions (495 posts)
  1. profile image52
    kaylasmusicviewposted 7 years ago

Yes, because love is love, and you cannot control your feelings for someone, same sex or not. You should be able to love who you love, and though the bible says it is an "abomination" I believe (and many others do too) that God believes in love equality. And if you want to get into religious terms, Jesus died on the cross for our sins, therefore if you get married to someone of the same sex, and you believe this, you will be forgiven for it. And people that think same sex marriage are inconsiderate, because someone cannot necessarily control how they feel towards someone, and they should be able to love who they love.

2. thatsprettygood profile image78
    thatsprettygoodposted 7 years ago

How is this trash featured???Where is the content? Holy shit Hubpages.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Cole....Your comment gives away the fact that you're new to HP.  If you think this is trash, you obviously haven't done much roaming through our community neighborhoods.  This is mild, common and ordinary.  Relax, enjoy your time here!  Paula

2. Alexander Mark profile image82
      Alexander Markposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes! How can Hubpages allow people to use cuss words on here! How dare they allow a Hubber to call someone's post or opinion trash. Censor them!

3. dismart profile image60
    dismartposted 7 years ago

The question is a simple one ....Where would we be if GOD had created Adam and Steve instead of Eve? Oh nowhere we wouldn't exist

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Boy oh Boy!  What an answer!   Somewhat missing in the logical sense I perceive.

2. CuAllaidh profile image80
      CuAllaidhposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yawn.... lame and pointless. No one supporting marriage equality is suggesting ONLY homosexual marriages be valid, if they were then you MIGHT have a point. As it is this God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve argument is beyond lame.

3. Say Yes To Life profile image81
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If everyone were straight and reproduced, this Earth would be overpopulated in no time. In fact, we're just about there anyway. We need gay people to keep it from totally exploding.

4. profile image0
      Nudelyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually, if there's a God, a question unto itself, there is a good chance all He created was hydrogen. Do you really believe Garden of Eden, 6-day creation, Noah, Tower of Babel, animal spots and stripes from patterns carved in sticks? Hoo boy!

5. Sam Shepards profile image93
      Sam Shepardsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry David Alexander, it doesn't mean you have to have sex with men or have to watch.

6. Alexander Mark profile image82

Alan (jonnycomelately) - what is not logical in admitting that it takes a man and a woman to make babies? What is not logical in admitting that if the first people on earth indulged in homosexuality, there would be no human race to argue about it?

4. Virginia Allain profile image87
    Virginia Allainposted 7 years ago

Our country is not based on religion (yours, mine, others) or non-religion. Marriage is a legal contract that tidies up the responsibilities of a couple who make a commitment to each other. You can embellish it with religion if you so wish, but many who are non-religious (gay or straight) choose to marry.

Their marriages survive or fall apart based on many factors (economic, personal compatibility, difficult times). I wish them well. I do not expect them to fit your narrowly defined guideline.

5. profile image57
    XarisPapastergiouposted 7 years ago

Well what you are discussing right now its a serious matter that our people and goverments keeps avoiding because they dont really care.My opinion in this matter is that marriage is created to bring two people that love each other together for ever.Why people keep telling each other that gay marriages cant happen?.The only thing that marriage requires is love between two people thats why we humans are getting married.We do it with someone we love and why do we have to care about if we are going to marry a man or a woman.This problem exists because the people dont like the different the criticize it and they are afraid by it so they wont let it happen.

1. Sustainable Sue profile image96
      Sustainable Sueposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wish love was the only reason people marry. I've known LOTS of people who married for other reasons - convenience (I was asked once), citizenship (the first man who asked me), to bear smart/attractive children (my father), money, security, career.

6. Lady Luv profile image74
    Lady Luvposted 7 years ago

"Marriage is sacred" my butt. In my whole life I have seen 3 marriages that didn't end in divorce or separation. And in two of them, it's because they pretty much ignored each other. People crap all over marriages every single day, and nobody is out picketing the courthouse during a divorce.
    This whole "marriage is sacred" argument only ever comes up when people want to suppress and disrespect OTHER people's marriages over arbitrary things like whether their genitals match. It's nonsense, and thin cover for the actual reason people are so against it: They think it's yucky and can't act like adults.

Considering god isn't real, none of this matters and it's just people spewing hatred because they get disgusted thinking about gays. But if you REALLY believe in your "God", then he created humans, and he also created gay ones who want to get married. Only God can create life, after all. And since being gay is NOT a choice, you can't blame it on the devil. So basically you're saying God messed up and you think he's wrong, and if you believe in the part of the bible saying gays are an abomination and should be put to death, you must also believe in the passage that says it's your responsibility to kill them when you see them, or you are EQUALLY DAMNED. But nobody does. Because you'd (RIGHTLY) go to jail, because that's insane. So you cherry pick whatever parts of the bible support your hate without you having to bear any consequences for "following the word" (even though the same book says shortly after the passage about gays that you are to follow ALL his decrees, not the ones you feel like, and NOBODY DOES, and yet "the land" has not vomited them up. Weird huh?)

Basically if you like pork, you're going to hell. Shrimp? Hell. Polyester? Hell. You're a woman who speaks in a room with men? Hell. Ever accidentally saw your sibling/aunt/uncle/mom/dad naked? Hell. Got divorced? Hell. Got remarried? If you're a woman you ought to be killed, AND hell. Husband, if she wasn't a virgin, you gotta stone her to death.

Considering all this crap, you should probably just mind your business and let people exercise their free will in peace, as you do. Because you'll be joining these gay people in hell, only they didn't act like they were righteous and holier than thou while committing sin after sin. Don't be a hypocrite.

May those without sin cast the first stone, and all that.

Good luck.

1. fpherj48 profile image60

Lady Luv.......Yes!  I really like your style.  "Tell it like it is."  There's no other sensible way to dance around certain topics!  It is what it is and you nailed it!......Peace, Paula

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Ecclesiastes 7:20 says it best:
      "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."
      You're right. Every Christian "cherry picks" scriptures that support their bias and ignore those that interfere with (their) desires.

3. tamarawilhite profile image85
      tamarawilhiteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Homosexual behavior is a choice given how many homosexuals have engaged in heterosexual relationships.

4. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Because people are told that heterosexual relationships are normal from the start and get judged if they feel otherwise. Did you choose to be heterosexual?

5. Lady Luv profile image74
      Lady Luvposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tamara, I could choose to become a vegan right now. Doesn't turn me into an herbivore, savvy? Just means I decided to go against my nature. Much like many gay people try to do, so their bigoted, closed-minded families and society don't reject them.

6. fpherj48 profile image60

TW...I'm simply shocked at UR comment in this thread. Other than bi-sexuals, 100% homos never "chose" 2 have hetero rltnshps. But  were forced via fear, shame & pressure. Pls chk stats 4 formerly married gays & lesbians & admissions!

7. cam8510 profile image93
      cam8510posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wish I had written this answer, damnit.  Nicely done, Lady Luv.  Cherry picking through the Bible is what Christians do, in search of principles they would like to see become law.  But they ignore other teachings that would crimp even their style.

7. Ashish Dadgaa profile image45
    Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years ago

Yes. I agree with same-sex marriage or gay marriage. As far as two are totally comfortable and loving each other then there shouldn't be any problem.

8. profile image52
    Katie Ruudposted 7 years ago

Personally, I believe that God created marriage for a man and a woman, but I'm not going to force my beliefs on someone else. I also believe if you wanted to get married to someone of the same sex, you should have the right to. Everyone that is a human should have the same rights, regardless of who they are married to. I also believe that everyone has different opinions, so there are no black and white answers.

1. dianetrotter profile image60
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But when i vote, I vote my conscience.  If they don't want me to vote on it, they shouldn't ask.

2. profile image0

Nice answer, Katie.

9. Bakul Valambhiya profile image60
    Bakul Valambhiyaposted 7 years ago

Marriage has nothing to do with Gender preferance it is a conscious and legal commitment between two individual to stay together and be faithful to each other. For me there is no question of same-sex or gay at all. All are humans and everyone should have his / her choice.

10. CalAllen profile image60
    CalAllenposted 7 years ago

I think it boils down to this,if you needed an organ transplant to live and the only person that had a match was gay you wouldn't just lay down and die, you would take the organ. Straight people tolerate gay people and gay people tolerate us.

11. tamarawilhite profile image85
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

The problem with "they just want to love who they want to love" is that it isn't a libertarian free for all (tolerance) but demand for endorsement. This difference comes out in:
    * anyone can refuse traditional marriage messaging like T-shirts or print jobs as freedom of political speech, but refuse same sex marriage messaging or services, and the government threatens to shut you down with massive fines if you don't comply - this is viewpoint discrimination
    * in the name of protecting the feelings of a protected class, describing marriage as man/woman gets banned in public discourse - an erosion of freedom of speech; the same movement then shows up at conservative events with air horns and violence, attacking private groups for daring to express views they don't like - this is fascism, but because they've branded themselves as peace, love and tolerance, they've given themselves permission to bully and outright act like brownshirts
    * those demanding tolerance and endorsement are deliberately seeking to enroll children at private schools that teach traditional marriage; decline the child of same sex couples and they try to sue, if the refusal stands, they send hate mail and death threats. I know this because it happened at my son's school and several others nationwide. The school wanted to teach traditional marriage at mass and class without creating conflict for dissenting viewpoints, and they get smeared as haters, while the media never covered the death threats to teachers and administrators, the police barely looked into the threat to burn down a K-8 school with the children inside.
    The militant homosexuals aren't fighting for love - it is fascism in the name of feelings, agree with us or we have permission to threaten violence.

12. jasmin101 profile image56
    jasmin101posted 7 years ago

my answer is no..i am not agree on this..because the same sex people can be good friends, share each other secrets, sorrows and happiness..but marriage is not a good option for same sex people..Marriage is a God gift between male & female and we have no right to challenge it..

1. profile image0

Marriage is not set up by your God.  It's a civil contract.

13. Nicole Harmse profile image61
    Nicole Harmseposted 7 years ago

I guess the real question is, do you believe in love? If yes, then totally. Myself personally, I am a divorced, single mother who frankly doesn't believe in romance any more. But for those who do, i say hold on no matter what or who or any other demographic. People should be themselves and everybody deserves to be happy

14. Mercy and poetry profile image62
    Mercy and poetryposted 7 years ago

Personally I don't, but not all people have same destinies, so all are allowed to choose a path according to their own destinies which no one is allowed to judge except God and their conscience. Your conscience may lead you according to your destiny, it does not mean that all things are good, but it means all things maybe permissible according to what your conscience tells you is right. It is therefore up to a person to find out what is good for his destiny and pursue that.

15. profile image52
    KeytGaneposted 7 years ago

My answer is yes, I agree. I don't know why some people are so mean to gay couples, they are normal people who loves each other, it's love. Love is love.

Yeah God created Men and Women to fall in love, but if you fall in love to same sex it's okay, because it's love.

16. GlendaGoodWitch profile image86
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 7 years ago

No. Marriage is between a man and a woman. I have no problem with gay couples having benefits that recognize them as a couple, but, there needs to be separation. Sadly, the left wing has brainwashed the general public into thinking that just because one recognizes the difference between a straight couple and a homosexual couple that we are evil and prejudiced. This whole gay movement is not about equality it is about politics and power.

1. cam8510 profile image93

"There needs to be a separation." An absolute statement based on the previous absolute statement, "Marriage is between a man and a woman." Wow, this sounds authoritative.  Why didn't you included the logic behind the statements. Oh, there isn't any?

17. LLugo profile image75
    LLugoposted 7 years ago

I am a Christian and my job is to preach the word of God.  I just think that marriage is a little too much in my opinion especially when it comes to Christians that eat,  sleep and breath the Bible.  Ian not here to call anyone names or anything like that I am just here to add my answer and if you agree okay and if you disagree that is fine too.

18. Hildy Gloom profile image57
    Hildy Gloomposted 7 years ago

yes of course i do gender doesn't matter when it comes to love!

19. Cynthia Hoover profile image90
    Cynthia Hooverposted 7 years ago

From a Christian and biblical standpoint we have no right to judge. Love the sinner hate the sin and all that. From a personal point how sacred is marriage when the government has a say in it? How sacred are all the marriages than end in divorce? The funny thing is I know more same sex couples that have been together for 30, or 50 years. I don't personally know any heterosexual marriages with those numbers (yes I know they are out there). It boils down to ~ it is none of my business what happens in others lives, marriages or bedrooms. If anyone uses their God and religious affiliations to judge and hate others they maybe need to head back to Sunday school. People are starving, homeless and there are so many horrible things in the world that need attention that I can't understand the energy and hate put into this particular debate. Passing judgement is not for any of us. We should all live our own lives and be the best possible person we can. Who cares what the neighbors do, it does not effect anyone else's life. Compassion goes a long way. Love thy neighbor. If you love someone be with them, love is sacred and fleeting. If anyone finds the one ~ go forth get married and enjoy your time together. Life is to short and after all no one here gets out alive!

20. Connor Madison profile image56
    Connor Madisonposted 7 years ago

I very much disagree with your premise that marriage is sacred because it presupposes the idea that there is a God to begin with (or an even bigger debate that man shaped God in his own image). Even if there were a God (more likely it would be the deist God), then it simply wouldn't care about human interactions and therefore it wouldn't care who we copulate with and who we marry.

Moreover, the only thing we can prove about marriage beyond a reasonable doubt is that it's about love. Love is a natural phenomenon (unlike God I should say) and the arguments that homosexuality is a perversion, is a scapegoat claim that can't be proven wrong and can't be proven right. Religions need to stop. If Christianity and other religions claim to be the moral hierarchy, then they need to act like it. Learn to accept people. Tap into our evolutionary instinct of empathy and compassion and less bible thumping. It's primitive and it's an idea that will more than likely put you on the wrong side of history.

21. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 7 years ago

Best Answer d.william says

I don't usually participate in these inane discussions, but this one really has me rattled. How dare Anyone ask such a question. This is NOT a decision for anyone else to answer, or to pass judgment on. This is not a moral issue. It is an equal rights issue. Religion has no place in society other than divide people of ignorant persuasions. The bible is nothing but a creation of government in the 3rd century to control the minds of simple people who are incapable of thinking or reasoning on their own intellect. This kind of question only proves the ignorance of the vast majority of people in this country.

1. rimbin profile image59
      rimbinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Brother don't get angry.It is above all  religious practices.No one can born in this world by matting with same sex.

2. cam8510 profile image93

Nothing was said in this comment about "matting."  The commenter spoke of marriage.  "Matting" and marriage are not synonymous. Heterosexuals marry all the time with no intentions of having children. They also "matt" all the time w/o getting married.

3. profile image52
      frumpletonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

D. Williams is correct.  The bible was not written during Christ's time.  It was written 2 or 3 centuries later.  It was and still is, political.  Why do you think the Romans embraced Christianity?  For control of the masses.

4. Sgt Prepper profile image59
      Sgt Prepperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Most of the Bible was written long before Jesus was born in a manger. Moses wrote the first 5 books. In it we read the truth about the past, present & future. Jesus said in John 3:3&7 "You must be born again."

5. profile image0
      Rick Myresposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The ignorance you mention is us knowing God and knowing His will. When Jesus said "Father forgive them for they know not what they do" is part of what those who do not know Him are doing now.

22. misterhollywood profile image92
    misterhollywoodposted 7 years ago

Given that I'm gay and married ... Yes. I wonder if you would have posted this same offensive question about interracial marriage?

1. REALfoodie profile image81
      REALfoodieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm giving you a standing ovation for your comment smile

23. Atcelle profile image59
    Atcelleposted 7 years ago

I know and I believe that same sex marriage is wrong, this wayward ways of world is just trying to distorte and manipulate True geninue committed ways and some individuals by trying to inflatrate methods laws and rules that does not in no way identify what and how individuals supposed to be in a true committed sex relationship. It's a turning from good to bad and when that happened something will be done to correct this lucent disturbing and deceitful way.

1. Jwffieshotwell profile image61
      Jwffieshotwellposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I do not agree, but it not my place, nor government's place to tell two consenting people, that they cannot do something. The are not hurting anyone else by doing it, and Uncle Sam needs to keep his nose out of peoples' business. As far as the Bible,

24. bowlins profile image59
    bowlinsposted 7 years ago

I am of the opinion, being a spiritual person myself, that it is not my place to make this judgment.  I respect human beings, regardless of their beliefs, their sexuality or anything else because that is what my God teaches me.  He teaches me that I am to love and respect all, and the He has final judgment.
    It hurts me to see anyone, ever, using their religion as a platform to attack or accuse others.
    What I know is this - the only marriage I need to 'agree' with is my own, and any other marriage is not my business. Period.

25. Tarzo1989V profile image66
    Tarzo1989Vposted 7 years ago

Completely! I don't tell people in the subway queue to not add olives to their sandwich because its not my taste.

26. Author Cheryl profile image81
    Author Cherylposted 7 years ago

I don't think anyone should agree or disagree.  When two people want to get married either straight or gay it is only them that has to worry about it.  No one is paying their bills or living with them.  So people shouldn't have an opinion of right or wrong.  We all will have a judgment day and everyone has to answer.

27. REALfoodie profile image81
    REALfoodieposted 7 years ago

"Legalized marriage" with the use of signed documentation was institutionalized by ancient Romans because women were not viewed as citizens, but rather property.

When a man arranged a marriage for his daughter, a contract was drawn up for the transference of property (the woman) to the other man (the husband). The woman would then take on the husband's name and be a legal part of his family. Her main responsibility was to produce children and in some cases the marriage was not considered to be consummated until the first child was born. This was a strictly monogamous relationship on the woman's part and she was subject to her husband's authority.

Today, women in developed nations are citizens of rights, viewed as autonomous beings. They can choose to marry...or not. Childbearing is no longer an obligation within the marriage but a choice. As humanity continues to progress toward enlightenment, these archaic marriage customs become irrelevant.

Modern marriage is a partnership between two people who love each other and want to create a life together. Since marriage is subject to secular law, all citizens should be afforded the same rights regardless of their sexual orientation.

So, YES, gays should be allowed to marry because they pay the same taxes that you do.

28. CuAllaidh profile image80
    CuAllaidhposted 7 years ago

Should Gay marriage be recognized, yes... should all churches have to recognize and/or perform gay marriages no.

To those saying that homosexuality is unnatural, this is simply untrue. There are countless examples of homosexuality in nature, pretty much every species of animal have been observed as having homosexual behaviours.

To those saying it is against Biblical law. So is eating pork, shellfish, cutting your hair, wearing polyester and cotton in the same outfit, peeling a melon, and so much more.  Beyond that laws should not be based on Biblical morality but rather public safety.

To those that say marriage is for procreation. Do you really believe that sterile people should not be wed? Do you think that if a couple is found to be sterile after they are wed that their marriage should be annulled as invalid since they can't have kids and by your logic should not be eligible for marriage.

I don't intend to ever be in a same sex marriage, but  I see no reason to forbid others because I don't want to do it.

29. Michaela Osiecki profile image69
    Michaela Osieckiposted 7 years ago

Marriage as an institution existed long before Christianity ever did, so why do they get the monopoly on how to define it or who gets to do it?

Basic concept in marriage is to run the world by creating next generation.This is what God deserves

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

God existed way before Christianity and any civilization did, so He gets the monopoly on how to define it who gets to do it, and He says man and woman only.

30. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 7 years ago

I agree.  Same sex marriage is unnatural and not good.  Man and woman were created to be one flesh--you said it.

1. cam8510 profile image93

Are you willing to make that blanket statement and have it apply to every other mature, responsible adult in the world?  Or should they be allowed to make their own choice as you have?

2. Msamante profile image61
      Msamanteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, I do not agree with same-sex marriage. However, I further agree that marriage is sacred, according to the word of God!!! 

Although I have my own experiences with marriage and divorce, I still sense it to be sacred when the anatomy of male an

3. profile image0

Sure, people can make their own choice--that is the freedom that God has given us.  But there are consequences that come with those choices.  You can't always do what feels good.

4. cam8510 profile image93

LoliHey, I appreciate that you are willing to concede that people do have freedom to choose on this matter, not only in respect to your opinion but also in respect to your God and the Bible.  If there are consequences, leave them to Him.

5. profile image0

Of course.

6. Msamante profile image61
      Msamanteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

(LoliHey), I am in total agreement that their is indeed consequences we all as individuals will have to give in account of before God. I also truly believe that God gives us the freedom of choices. - You stated it quite beautifully!!!

7. ms_independent profile image78
      ms_independentposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Except that there are many homosexual, intersex, and gender variant animals in the world. So no, homosexuality is in no way unnatural.

31. Msamante profile image61
    Msamanteposted 7 years ago

No, I do not agree with same-sex marriage. However, I further agree that marriage is sacred, according to the word of God!!! 

Although I have my own experiences with marriage and divorce, I still sense it to be sacred when the anatomy of male and female are joined.  This is not really a hard question. In fact, it is more of an opinionated thought of one’s stance of justifying their individual actions of desires, which have nothing to do with the word of God.

With that said, in all humility, it is not my stance to personally judge ANYONE,  yet my actions, as well as other’s actions, I sense, can be judged - in my opinion. I also believe that individual’s opinions should not be challenged, yet they should be respected at times. I further sense that would be and could be taken as a sign of arrogance of which I pray that I am not coming across as such, which is not the path I seek my words to be, concerning this issue.

Moreover, I pray that my opinion conveys a passionate expression, concerning the dynamics of the opinionated question posed, which in fact could exceed the 2500 characters; therefore, I will end my thoughts with the facts: we all, as individuals, must stand before God and be judged. This I love simply because I would prefer God to judge me on this matter rather than people because I disagree with their justifications, concerning this simple global issue.

Once again, no, I do not agree with same-sex marriage. I agree that MARRIAGE IS SACRED AND GOD CREATED MEN & WOMEN TO BE ONE FLESH!!!

1. herrypaul profile image50
      herrypaulposted 7 years agoin reply to this

that's true! I agree with you!

32. roselinsojan profile image61
    roselinsojanposted 7 years ago

God's will is men&women marry each other so I agree only with it.

you are right...

33. Kace Kason Colder profile image58
    Kace Kason Colderposted 7 years ago

Simple. Marriage originated from religion. Marriage is a religious concept, and thus, any rules or restrictions we make regarding marriage are ludicrous. Why shouldn't gays be able to marry? Only delusional religious fanatics disagree.

1. profile image0

Would you be able to prove marriage originated with religion? Tribal religion? Chinese culture? It is an assumption many of us make, but I don't think anyone can prove.

34. Kengland13 profile image60
    Kengland13posted 7 years ago

I agree. I am a Christian and have been for quite some time. Yes, I may be just 24 years old, but I have formulated this belief upon my own reading of God's Word. It specifically says that marriage is to be between one man and one woman, no exceptions. With this in mind though, the Bible also states that while same-sex marriage is indeed wrong, I am only to hate the sin, yet still love the sinner. If a same-sex couple were to walk into the church where I am the youth director in, I would never refuse them nor belittle them by any means. I would unconditionally accept them, give them visitors cards, and welcome them to our church.

I personally do believe that marriage is sacred and a very serious decision in life to make, therefore it should never be take lightly or be spontaneous.

Again, this is my opinion and my belief.

1. profile image0

Best Answer

Kyle, no congratulations are in order for treating two human beings as human beings if they visit your church. I doubt your church would  be unaffected if a gay couple was welcomed by the youth director. It's the stuff church splits are made of.

3. Kengland13 profile image60
      Kengland13posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree, there may be some that unfortunately would not think kindly of them in our church, and that is very unfortunate. I was in no regard looking for a congrats either, they ought to be treated with the same respect as anyone else who comes.

Well said, Kyle.

5. profile image0

When you come home at an hour when your favorite slave isn't expecting you, and you find he didn't do as you asked, you may beat him with many stripes according to Luke 12:45 ff - - The U.S. says you may not have slaves, but God says it's OK.

35. fireballl profile image61
    fireballlposted 7 years ago

I believe this yes. If it wasn't the natural route a human being should go, then a woman/woman or man/man would be able to conceive children - as this is why God instated the marriage covenant. But - this is not the popular answer. Everyone are entitled to their opinions, until their opinions goes against popularity. But alas, Jesus' commandment is for His followers to love ALL, so I don't agree with people who disagree and get nasty about it. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

1. herrypaul profile image50
      herrypaulposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Gina van Staden! That's true!

2. profile image0

I wonder how people get so hung up on what's natural. Do you shun cool air on a hot summer day because air conditioners aren't natural? Where does this allegiance to "natural" come from? As humans we thrive in artifice. Tang, Jello, Nylon, Duracell..

3. Alexander Mark profile image82

Well Nudely, air conditioning works. Electricity serves a purpose (runs A/Cs for one), however, homosexual acts NEVER creates babies and create unstable relationships and a twisted view on life if homosexuals actually have a long term relationship.

"Hate the sin but not the sinner" is nothing but an insult dressed in honorable clothing.  It is condescending and should be shoved back into the face of the one dishing it out.

36. profile image54
    Sara Finnposted 7 years ago

For me the concept of marriage is more of a social creation than a "godly" one. We wanted to find a way to form lifelong bonds that we thought would feel especially important so our human cultures eventually decided to make marriage the higher form of this relationship.Many pagan religions didn't have a form of permanent marriage making it more of an Abrahamic concept than one of our original ones meaning it's importance changes from person to person. This change being true means marriage is different for us all and no one should have a say to if anyone gets married other than those actually getting married.

1. profile image0

re: "marriage is different for us all and no one should have a say to if anyone gets married other than those actually getting married." It has long been part of vows:  "...if anyone objects to this marriage, speak now, or forever hold your peace"

37. ms_independent profile image78
    ms_independentposted 7 years ago

There's not a point debating something that has nothing to do with you. Don't want to get married to someone of the same gender? Don't. It's really simple.

1. profile image0

Oh my dear girl! Everything, on a scale this large at least, has something to do with you! In USA, your moral sensibilities contribute to the national moral fiber. What I hear from you is that, on this issue, ur ambivalent... that's still a position

2. Alexander Mark profile image82

It's about an opinion. Free speech and the right to express yourself and to have an opinion are not unimportant. What if I said, "who cares if you think murder is wrong, if you disagree with it, don't murder anyone."?

38. Sustainable Sue profile image96
    Sustainable Sueposted 7 years ago

If God created Men and Women to be one flesh, what does it matter which one you marry? A whole person marrying a whole person makes for a healthy relationship, whereas a half person marrying someone who is supposed to "complete" them sets a marriage up for codependence and all the ills that produces.

God created us to be a trinity inside, whole people, with mother/father/child "parts" (as humans define it). Then humans said we have to split those out and only humans with breasts can act out the "mother" part (nurturing, healing), whereas the others can only act out the "father" part (analytic, decision-making). Neither were allowed to act out the "child" part (creative, adventurous), once they'd passed a certain age. This set us all up to monitor and judge one another which, of course, Jesus was totally against.

So I reiterate: A whole person marrying a whole person has a good chance to create a really healthy relationship. And if, as you say, we were made from one flesh, then the gender of each doesn't matter.

1. profile image0

Hmmm... one of the most original takes on the topic... I'll give you that!

39. profile image51
    Faith Graichenposted 7 years ago

I thought I did when it first came up, but, as a Christian, studyiing in the Bible , I had to chsnge my mind.   Deep Bible study has shown me that the Bible IS accurate and IS God's word.   God says it is wrong, so therefore I accept that my thoughts on it were wrong

If you accept the Bible and God's word, then you must accept that it is wrong.

1. profile image0

Interesting! Deep Bible study has shown me that it (the Bible) is preposterous, inaccurate, and is MAN's word, not God's. One needs to study the Bible, not just from within its pages, but study it's veracity as a skeptic too.

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely correct Faith Graichen.... absolutely correct. It is amazing how people are ready to believe God's Word with regard to stealing, hatred, lying, & adultery, but faint in the face of moral laws that demand self-discipline and self denial

40. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 7 years ago

The simple answer is you do whatever you need to do based on your religious principles. 

When it comes to government enforcement, give everyone equal treatment, leave the religion out of it.

And for F**ks sake, don't try and make others live by your religious views.  Just because you do it, doesn't make it right.  It just makes it yours.

1. profile image0

Hmmm... if my religion commands me to 'seek and save the lost,' and I consider you to be lost, am I better off obliging you, a mere human, by not intruding on your day, or am I better served by pleasing my Lord and Savior by thumping you with gospel?

41. profile image52
    Fadia Aubranposted 7 years ago

I agree because the bible said a man should get marry with a woman leave his parents and have his own family. Same sex marriage is a sin.

1. helenstuart profile image60
      helenstuartposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So, if you are no longer "fruitful", you should cover yourself with ashcloth and go live in a cave in isolation? The only reason people unite in marriage, even straight marriage, is to create more people? You must be Catholic, you sound very Papist.

42. Roan Pineda profile image60
    Roan Pinedaposted 7 years ago

I'm from the Philippines. And on my country, people are conservative. they value the sacredness of marriage which is for man and women only. but for me, as long as they love each, wants to commit themselves, devoted to one another, then I can't see any reasons why I should disagree on this kind of marriage.

1. profile image0

You are most beautiful and will make someone a good wife!

43. profile image52
    syed hamzaposted 7 years ago

Same-sex marriage, also known as gay marriage, is marriage between people of the same sex, either as a secular civil ceremony or in a religious setting

1. profile image0

You defined it, but are you for it or against it?

44. Athlyn Green profile image84
    Athlyn Greenposted 7 years ago

The Bible says we are not to judge, so it is not up to humans to judge others' actions regarding marriage but to leave that to God.

Mat 7:1
    Luke 6:37

45. Katia Punta Cana profile image61
    Katia Punta Canaposted 7 years ago

People are free to do what they want to do, God does not force anyone but same sex marriage or gay marriage is a sin against God who does it will face God judgement, inkow who does that does not believe or care about God judgement, and also how can gay marriage get kids?
    As christians we have to love those people but do not agree with what they are doing.

46. MovieMatt profile image34
    MovieMattposted 7 years ago

Marriage existed before any government existed. So to bring the government into the discussion is just silly. Governments have no say in what God does. Governments don't change God's laws. People keep bringing up the divorce, but divorce isn't ordained of God either. So again you're bringing man's ideas and trying to use them as justification for your arguments.  Just because religious people aren't perfect, and don't treat marriage as holy, doesn't mean it's not. Divorce, fornication, adultery, are all things that distance us from our Father. Just because a man (the govt) says that two people are married, doesn't mean that God recognizes that marriage. Just because a man, says that a man can marry a man or a woman to a woman, doesn't change the that God said that it doesn't work that way.

Let people think what they want and "marry" who they want. But if you want to be close to God, you need to think like he does. In the end that's all that really matters. In the end, man's ways will come to an end.

Like Katia and Athlyn point out. We are all sinners, and we can still love those people that choose to sin differently than you or I do.  We can love someone without agreeing with their actions. (God does)

1. profile image0

How could you possibly know when the first tribal "governments" formed?

MM, you said this, "Let people think what they want and "marry" who they want."  That is all anyone is asking.  Can you do that?  You don't have to agree with them, you can even call them sinners, but in you r own words, Let them marry who they want.

3. MovieMatt profile image34
      MovieMattposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not stopping anyone Chris Mills

47. profile image0
    Nudelyposted 7 years ago

Arcanum Divinae (1880) and Casti Connubii (1930) are great documents to look at to see how Holy Mother Church views the history of marriage. In Arcanum, heathens corrupt the whole marriage process while Moses is still kicking. Leo XIII says:

"This form of marriage, however, so excellent and so pre-eminent, began to be corrupted by degrees, and to disappear among the heathen; and became even among the Jewish race clouded in a measure and obscured. For in their midst a common custom was gradually introduced, by which it was accounted as lawful for a man to have more than one wife; and eventually when "by reason of the hardness of their heart," Moses indulgently permitted them to put away their wives, the way was open to divorce."

But Jesus fixed it all:

"Later on [Jesus] brought back matrimony to the nobility of its primeval origin by condemning the customs of the Jews in their abuse of the plurality of wives and of the power of giving bills of divorce; and still more by commanding most strictly that no one should dare to dissolve that union which God Himself had sanctioned by a bond perpetual."

Most interesting, however, is what the church (Pius XI in Casti) said about contraception:

"But no reason, however grave, may be put forward by which anything intrinsically against nature may become conformable to nature and morally good. Since, therefore, the conjugal act is destined primarily by nature for the begetting of children, those who in exercising it deliberately frustrate its natural power and purpose sin against nature and commit a deed which is shameful and intrinsically vicious."

Translation: if you frustrate sperm getting to the egg, you're sinning. If you anaesthetize (un-natural) for pain in child birth (natural) you're deed is shameful.

Big time shameful!!!

If that's the case, then oral sex, butt sex, cleavage sex, same-sex sex, masturbatory sex are all "intrinsically vicious."

At this time I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the Catholic church for helping me feel more comfortable and more at ease LIVING LIFE AS AN ATHEIST!!!

48. Florence Gilliam profile image60
    Florence Gilliamposted 7 years ago

I feel that the way it should be after 50years of marriage that it should be man and women. But again that is me and we live in the USA and we can all have out opinion.  I don't think the ones that made the law many, many, years ago thought that a lot of things that have happened would have happened and this one. I know that I have friends that say they have talked to God and they feel he is fine with it. That is between them and him. I am not going to say it is right or wrong but I believe  it should be man and women.

49. profile image52
    Survivor93posted 7 years ago

Everyone has the right to marry the one they love . If that person happens to be of same sex no big deal. You cannot chose who you love because love just happens. I don't see any problem. Just personal opinion though . ✌

50. Ellen Theo profile image80
    Ellen Theoposted 7 years ago

I believe it is.  But not in the way we believe it is. Only untill we need it to be)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)