BEING IN LOVE A PLUS OR NEGATIVE FOR WRITERS

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (46 posts)
  1. mizzjanique29 profile image59
    mizzjanique29posted 13 years ago

I HAVE NOTICED THAT SOME PEOPLE TELL ME WHEN THEY ARE UPSET, THE FOCUS OF THEIR WRITING IS THROWN OFF BY THEIR EMOTIONS.
    PERSONALLY I DON'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM, IF GET UPSET AT MY FIANCE...I TEN TO JUST TUNE HIM OUT AND WRITE WHICH MAJORITY OF THE TIME IS A GREAT RELAXATION TECHNIQUE.

It seems that mainstream society is telling writers that they have to be lonely or not expressing love on a regular basis in order to become an intelligent writer what do you all think about this?

1. profile image56
      stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strong emotion concerning a subject shows up in the words utilized and the sentence construction.

Topics not cared about shows up with tepid writing.

It all depends on what the purpose of the writing is as to what's effective.

2. swfrank profile image60
      swfrankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being a writer is to write from all experiences and emotions. I find my most creative works, prose or characters are more interesting and relevant when I write from a variety of emotional perspectives. Love and expressing love is one of the most important aspects of my writing and having the reader experience it, too. That is true intelligence and that is what makes a great writer.

3. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Being in love is always a plus! I knowsome people write from pain but there is plenty of that in love too. no?

2. Richard Craig profile image61
    Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

I try to channel whatever emotion into my writing and see what comes out the other end.  It tends to be a bit negative.  I find having music on in the background helps thoughts and emotions flow better as well.

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Have You ALSO Noticed How many of us Also get upset when someone thinks it's OK In the Forums to YELL AT US IN CAPS? hmm

Please...... Do yourself the favor hmm

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

sometimes negative because you don't have time writing, you daydream and your mind to tend to imagine whats next to come...

You are inspired to write more because you want to earn more for dates
    you are happy and it will show in your writings

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is the best time to write poetry, I feel . Your emotions and words gush out , breaking  the dams of  silence and then once again it  gently flows  when the force dies out.

1. profile image56

I never did 'get' poetry although sometimes imagery comes to mind.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I find that anything that effects my emotions , love, anger ,  sadness.....but I have to be calmly contemplative , being in the limbo of love , yes. Been there .

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think any emotion can be a catalyst or deterrent for intelligent writing. It's up to the writer to decide to use the energy or block it. either way can be effective I think.

7. Italmeansumthin profile image60
    Italmeansumthinposted 13 years ago

I think that is BS! What makes us all writers is because we can write about anything, with emotions or without emotions..regardless if we are in love or not. Of course that doesn't mean we are all excellent writers wink But it does mean that writing comes from the heart. And if you are that in tune with your writing and yourself, a relationship isn't going to bias your material.

8. C.A. Johnson profile image69
    C.A. Johnsonposted 13 years ago

I write according to my mood that day. Sometimes it's serious, sometimes it's unbelievably silly, and it is always based on the mood I am in when I wake up. I believe that whatever I write maintains a certain level of intelligence behind it. The ability to write comprehensively in and of itself is a sign of intellect.

Emotion in writing allows you to translate that feeling to the reader. Books, articles, scripts, and anything else that can be read would all be monotonous to read if the people behind them did not feel the emotion needed to my us cry, laugh, get, angry, or be repulsed.

Age old advice is to write what you know, the secret behind that is to write what you feel.

9. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Feelings, thoughts and everything else is a beneficial to a writer. It all builds some sort of inspiration. wink

10. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

When a writer writes whatever emotion they're feeling at the time is going to show through their writing, whether or not they're aware of it.  I would expect a stressful moment of time would be what is required to 'throw off' a writers writing, not merely being in love.  Being in love is a 'happy' state of being, not a negative emotion to be seen in someones writing.

11. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I understand one can pull from any emotion or experience relevant to their lives.  Clearly, if I understand correctly< being in 'love' would not have any more or less effect on a writer comparable to any creative person, and more so, everyone else, I believe, anyways

smile

12. nrasch profile image61
    nraschposted 13 years ago

I believe that ANY experiences can contribute to writing, whether they are being in love, feeling lonely, or going through a particularly difficult time.

13. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

the poetry i get the best comments for are the ones when i am angry about something.  Even is the poem does not reflect my mood, it seems i write better angry than in love, or in a good humour.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anger is a much more intense emotion that others, so I'd imagine when you're angry you're feelings are much more intensified and come out stronger in your writing.

14. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I find I don't write well when I am distraught.  After the fact, though, sometimes years later, when I have a calmer perspective...then, I can use that material in my writing.

When I am distraught, angry, or feeling very unloved, then my writings just become a self-pitying rant.  It is my release but I wouldn't impose that much negativity on other people.  First, I don't think they deserve it, since the wider audience of the internet was not who harmed me to begin with, and second, I really think we want to spread more positivity in our creative lives.  It helps people, I think.

15. Paradise7 profile image68
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I enjoyed reading all these other comments so much.  Everyone seems to express their poiont of view with excellence.  big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

16. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Being in love is good for everybody.... writers, nonwriters, men, women, animals, benches  chairs.............

17. sugz profile image68
    sugzposted 13 years ago

from personal experience.. being in love with someone boosts the amount of creative balance that enables me to write smoothly, yet, when i am upset or not feeling loved or cared about.. or i am annoyed at the world in general, i write my best because my mind hunts out the things that eases those feelings, but also picks up another twist that allows me to write of danger and hurt explicitly.

unfortunately my mind has a mind of it's own and will conjour anything in order to satisfy itself.. love and hate find their way into that creative mind where i just write what it decides.

lol

1. sugz profile image68
      sugzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in reply Rafini and also to my own thought back there..

when i am angry and hurt and feeling at my lowest.. i can write a soppy romance full of love.. but when i am happy and feeling fantastic, i am able to write about hate and violence and destruction..
      i have no idea why this is. and it has always confused me.

(i am so glad i'm not a gemini, i'd be in big trouble)

Interesting, well, I'd say since everyone is different, you are able to channel the opposite of what you're feeling when you're writing. 

For me, I'm discovering that when I write I need to get 'in the zone'.  I can flip flop from characters and emotions or opposing views, but only when I can relax and let everything else disappear.

1. sugz profile image68

fair nough smile
          i guess there's times i get in the zone, words seem to just appear without my thinking.but i write in third person..  first person just doesn't happen for me, although, it has in one short story. i'll find out how well i wrote that later in the year tho as i entered it in a short story competition in the UK.

i was thinking about it earlier how i can write the opposite of my feelings.. i often concentrate on using both sides of my brain (being a horse educator i kind of need to be able to) and can create conversations in both amusing and sad text all in the same chapter. i have no idea how or where it ocmes from.. and yes, we are all different.. hehe you're safe, ya can't catch my weird brain wink

How do you concentrate on using both sides of your brain?  (at the moment I can only remember one side is 'creative'....does that mean the other side is logic?)

lol  I remember when I was young I thought the only people that could use both sides of their brain at the same time had to be ambidextrous.  lol 

But I'm with you, you're lucky you can't catch my brain cuz it isn't any fun. hmm lol

1. sugz profile image68

i haven't always used this to my advantage and unfortunately for me i am ambidextrous, but it's easy for anyone to teach themselves to use both sides of the brain . logic and creative at the same time can be quite fun.
              even animals especially horses are left or right handed and to get the right balance when breaking (educating) them to saddle means they learn to use both sides of their body equally too and not favour one or the other..
              it took many years tor me to learn that i was beign one sided with a lot of things, now, i find it natural and most times, my writing has both the creative and logical mixed together.. also helps being a logical thinkier and being able to see both sides of any situation wink the joys of being a libra... haha

2. profile image56

sugz posted;
            i often concentrate on using both sides of my brain (being a horse educator i kind of need to be able to)

Cue bad visual of sugz at a blackboard in front of 30 stalls....

1. sugz profile image68

hahahahaha

i think if they could be taught by a blackboard.. our schools will go to the dogs...?
              ty for the visual.. i'm scared now haha

1. profile image56

You're welcome.  I've a very off-beat sense of humour and everything is 'grist for the mill.'

Of course, cleaning the classroom afterwards would be errrrr.....aromatic.

Cheers!

18. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

As most writing explores the faults in society - and the nooks and crannies of weird stuff in peoples heads, any emotion is useful and love is no different - except that it is the most 'done' subject in the world.  A love poem is a bit like finding a really good keyword and then finding it has the BIGGEST SEOC competition on the net  big_smile

19. profile image0
    ShotgunChelleposted 13 years ago

I have a tendency to feel more what my characters are experiencing, not the other way around.

20. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

It took me until I was forty to be able to write about my experiences as a young man in love at twenty, and even then doing so was painful.  What came out was, in reality, an actual event couched in a work of fiction.  When completed, there was a certain relief, a cathartic release.   I don't know whether the book was any good, though the woman who perused it to edit it seemed to think it not too bad.

The point I make is I think that when one is too close to an event which has really hit home emotional-wise, we don't have the objectivity to look on it with the amount of dispassion necessary to see the many sides of the picture which would reveal to the reader the way it really happened.   When we 'still in the event' as far as our conscious mind is concerned, we cannot really do it justice.

21. SilentReed profile image82
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

If depression resulting from a broken heart makes me write better then I'm all for LOVE wink

22. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Mainstream society is full of people who don't know what they're talking about and yet who keep talking anyway.   roll

If I'm upset I'm not in the mood to write.  My head has to be clear, and I can't feel all frazzled or sad or whatever.  Generally, I'm not "all upset" or frazzled all that often; so the fact that I sometimes don't write when I am doesn't mean I'm not a writer.

I've actually written more than a few letters to the divorce lawyer in fits of anger, complete with giant red fonts, bad words, and even hand-drawn pictures of things like mean faces (lol ); and, trust me, they wouldn't have made a good Hub.  lol   In fact, I would have been banned by HubPages AND Google.

The way I incorporate/use emotion in my writing is only after I've processed the emotion, "turned it into thoughts" (rather than feelings), and labeled the emotions/feelings with words.  Then I'll call upon my memory in order to "bring back" what I was feeling when I was in a less calm, less reasonable, state.

Why I feel like this works well for me is that I'm in my "logical", word-crafting, skill-based, writing mode; while I have access to the words and feelings that help otherwise "cold" writing be warmed up and seem more real.  For me, this lets me be in my "best-writing" mode while also having those emotions and thoughts associated with them in my "word/feeling" mental-bank or files.  Some of my better writing appears to include a lot of emotion, but in reality it's pretty "cold and calculated" (although genuine and not at all "calculated" in a less than authentic way).

People sometimes mistake the fact that I can be honest about emotions for my feeling emotional by writing; but the truth is I don't share any emotions in writing until they're no longer emotions and are, instead, memories of emotions and "nothing more than thoughts" for me.

Whatever emotions I'm feeling or haven't gotten over, they aren't showing up in my writing at all.  They'll show up later, maybe.

By the way, I'm pretty much one of those people who feels like she's a writer by nature, not just by profession; and I've never been lonely in my life (well, maybe a couple of times after losses, I suppose).  For the most part, I'm a happy-at-the-core person, although, like so many people who are generally happy underneath, these days there are some things that are keeping me from being "perfectly happy" and making me only "generally happy for the most part".  I think if people read some of the things I write they'd never guess that I'm actually reasonably happy.  Then again, if they read some stuff, they'd have no idea about some of the crap I've had in my life at one time or another.  Most of that is "surface stuff", though.  Underneath - neither lonely nor all that unhappy.  smile

To me, all the things in life - good and bad - are things that can make for good writing if we know how to process them and turn them into something other than present and raw emotion.  Grammar rules and raw emotion don't go all that well together.  Neither does forgetting reader and only worrying about what we have to express.  Whether I can always accomplish it or not, I usually aim to "give the reader a little ride" by moving from "straight facts" to a little whimsy to something sobering to "punching them" here or there.  (Not in everything I write, of course, but in a lot of things.)  I aim to let the reader feel (as much as possible) whatever I've felt that went into whatever I'm writing.  If they can't feel what I've felt, I am to at least say something that will "ring a bell" for them.   Once in awhile (more often these days) I'll just write because I feel like writing what I feel like saying.  Usually, though, there's never a time when I'm not thinking of what the impact of my choice of words will be on the reader.   That takes too much thought to be able to effectively do it if I'm not clear-headed and calm.

In answer to the OPs question, I think it depends on the writer and how how, if at all, he uses/processes emotions, and on whether he can separate his emotions from his "writing thinking" when necessary.  Also, there's a difference between whether he writes about,say, auto transmissions or writes about dating or relationships.  I think being in love would have little impact on writing about some things.  Or, the same if the the writer is writing Science Fiction.

23. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

Well being in love serves as an inspiration to write but then I guess I have learned to control my "writing emotions". It's like I focus myself to this thought that "as a writer, I must not be a prisoner of my own emotion".  But there are topics and stories and lines that just pop up from your head and I guess that's one of our gifts...

about the negative effect, this happened to me only once, I guess too much disappointment from someone that I used to love made me lost interest in all things that I love including writing, but then the writing itch never left me, just to pour out emotion i expressed myself thru blogs...

But I am happy now, and writing for me is a pleasure...

24. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Certainly being in love can be a distraction, but only if you let it happen.  Love's a very powerful force, but so is expression.  You just have to set boundaries.

25. profile image0

Love is just another key on the keyboard
    another comma, period or backspace.
    Love is just one more letter in
    the pen that fails ...moving without a trace.
    Love is to small a word to mean
    so much when it matters most.
    Love is just a reason...and who needs
    a reason when love is lost.
    I can write in love ...and I will
    write without it too.
    But mostly love is just love
    And writing is what I do.

26. LSKing profile image68
    LSKingposted 13 years ago

I'm an emotional writer. Sometimes I can write from pain and other times from pleasure. I enjoy the feelings associated with love that flows through my writings when I'm in a great situation, however I  find that more people identify with pain.

People are looking for solutions to stop heartache and redeem love. When I write about those topics, I find that it flows much better.

When I'm in pain I can flow off of this too because my desire is to stop the pain, just like the reader. Since I'm looking for solutions, it makes researching the topic even more fulfilling.

As far as neutral topics (that have nothing to do with love), yes, I find it very hard to get focused.....like today for instance.

27. SilentReed profile image82
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

For Wordsworth, poetry comes from the well of deep emotion we feel, but it only becomes poetry when it is crafted in a moment of calm recollection.

28. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

...on the other hand... Sorry, sugz, but my mother was a Libra, and that was a constant saying around our house wink

I find there are times when events/info/feelings/experiences come in, and are enjoyed, or felt, or wept over, or whatever emotions they elicit, are felt, in their moments.
    Then, this stuff gets stirred around and simmered, and stewed, and filtered, and whatever other processing happens in there takes place.
    Then, when the writing occurs, the filtered/simmered/stewed/stirred around feelings/events/experiences come out.

Sounds like a recipe, kinda big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. sugz profile image68

2 eggs or 3??? hehe
      i know what you mean tho, so much has been going on in my life lately but the funny thing is, none of it has ever ended up in my stories. i write about things (fiction of course) that i've never done, skiing trips, helicopters, astral projection of which i am now studying, much more that i had never read about, tried or even contemplated.. i told ya i have a weird brain! LOL
      and it's amazing how our brains can process so much at once. it really is the most amazing thing ever created.. who would have thought these little computer's in our heads would one day be simulated through a hunk of metal and plastic we would all find fun, irritating, scary and yet occasionally.. so darn satisfying... haha

29. _cheryl_ profile image83
    _cheryl_posted 13 years ago

I guess it can be both. It all depends on how that person allows their positive or negative experience in love to be expressed through their choice of words and style of writing. No doubt that either way it affects a writers thoughts and inspirations, but as with anything how they choose to compose and share their writing is really what matters. Interesting thought. smile

30. profile image0

The roller coaster ride of life , emotion, oppinion, of loves and lives , the secret is just one thing......
    I don't know what it is ....but just one thing.......

31. profile image57
    suscanposted 13 years ago

I find that moods and emotions do affect my writing. Sometimes I am able to put my emotions into my writing for better or worse.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)