The Best country In the world?

Jump to Last Post 1-47 of 47 discussions (149 posts)
  1. shakeelz profile image59
    shakeelzposted 14 years ago

The best country in the world should have good governence, good law and order conditions and independent judiciary.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely the United States, her people are freedom loving, and fond of democratic way of life. She has an organized governance, and, fair and square judiciary.
      And I'm tipping my hat on US and her people. smile

1. dawei888 profile image59
        dawei888posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed 100%! I'm very proud to be American and pledge my allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. That said, I'm also a big fan of N. Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom etc. The Common Wealth countries definitely have a lot of wonderful and attractive aspects.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's been widely reported that Australia survived the GFC better than most other Western countries because of their superior corporate governance.

Also I think taking due care of all one's citizens should be the first sign of a good country - Australia has universal health care and a pension scheme for the disabled and elderly.

1. JonTutor profile image60
          JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

UK/Canada/Australia.... good models for us to learn some lessons. smile

2. LondonGirl profile image82
          LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know nearly as much as you do about it, but Australia's always seemed like a decent place and a good country in which to live.

Mind you, I'm feeling all charitable because of the Lords Test!

2. usmanali81 profile image61
      usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Malysia

1. beautyrose profile image60
        beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

country where there is peace,work, food and love.

1. usmanali81 profile image61

smile Malysia contains all the above mentioned qualities

And also it is a Moslem country wink ... But beware of freemasons lol

3. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question.The criteria you mentioned are the basic
      requirements of a country and the implementation level of these requirements may vary from country to country.On the whole every country of the world is the best to its citizens.

2. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Australia would be up there.

Australia is a good pick too... Powerhouse now in sports and I love your outback very much for she has a lot of diverse animals particularty the marsupials like the koala and kangaroos.

1. emievil profile image66
        emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

GeneralHowitzer, I thought you will give the name of our country. Tsk, tsk. LOL just kidding

Seriously, the best country for me is where you can make a good home for yourself and for your family. It maybe a developing country or a developed country, but as long as you call it (and you like calling it) home, then that's the best country in the world for you.

Sorry emievil, I guess I was so naive about what my true feelings are ... Afraid of being lashed out here with what I'm going to say... Of course I love our country very much. But honestly I can't muster enough courage and strength to say that to the whole world. I'm still new here and what I keep on doing here is to please and trying to be pleasant just to be accepted, but deep inside I want to be accepted just like the other people whose country is far more developed.

From now on I'll take off the mask I'm wearing here in Hubpages and show the whole world that Filipinos and the Philippines can be at par best with the rest. Thanks for teaching me a neat lesson emievil I love you hehehehe...

2. fishmox profile image60
          fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll do it.
          The best country in the world is the PHILIPPINES, and it will be the best country in the world for me UNTIL I become a US Citizen, after which my loyalty, full, undivided, and unswerving will be to the US.

Good governance ?
          Good law and order conditions ?

Don't exist.  It's a utopian dream.

3. SeSharer profile image61
          SeSharerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

100% on point.

2. dodofone profile image61
        dodofoneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tourists from overseas will appreciate for a while alright but for living it depends where you are: too fresh in winter & quite too hot in summer. I am here for jobs.  All is question of your income and guess what? nearly everywhere the same answer in the world.  My standard of living is very simple as a migrant. I don't feel I live in a lucky country:unemployed for months now and I just survive.

Alex(58) from Melbourne.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have always wanted to go to Australia!

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a great country. Our large International cities are the biggest surprise.
        Melbourne is an enormous city covering some 90 X 120 Klms. Our countryside is beautiful with lush forests around our endless coastline. The weather varies from place to place from very cold to very hot.
        I love America too .. for the same reasons mostly.

3. Pamda Man profile image58
      Pamda Manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Qft.

3. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

USA of course.  Yankee go home.  And take me with you.

1. curiozities profile image61
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha!  In a nutshell, I think you've said what IMO is the reason the US is the best country in the world: because everybody wants to come live here.  If it were a bad place, people wouldn't be coming here in droves.  My own parents left a tyrannic country to come here to the US, for which I will be eternally grateful. 

All that said and as much as I love my country, I won't argue with someone else who says their country is better.  I understand that everyone loves their homeland--even if they may not like the government there.

4. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

Any attempt to make a consolidated universal statement is naiveté itself.  Trying to use a few words to describe the best government is painful.  Every society has different needs, and every government has flaws.  I live in the US, and I choose to live here.  Currently I don't plan on fleeing the country because of other options, but I certainly don't believe we have the best government.  We have a generally good government, with some very good policies and some ridiculously bad policies, just like every other government in the world.  Personally, I think many European countries have awesome governments, and if I became dissented with the one in the US, then I wouldn't have a problem going there.  I think flexibility is highly important and a universal statement with a half dozen adjectives hardly accounts for flexibility.

Australia is financially OK at this time, has a stable democratic government as do many countries, but to choose a country as the best would be on too many measures and unknowns.

1. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
        B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure it is.  I didn't intend to leave it out, I just don't know anything about it.  Though I look forward to visiting in Dec 10!

May I extend a warm welcome!

5. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

In terms of governance, low corruption and low cost of doing business my home, New Zealand, usually comes out fairly high on the list. Its beautiful on a good day too - that's the problem - the weather is crap that's why I live in Australia. If you don't live somewhere cold and wet you don't understand - the Irish and the Poms do - that's why they love Australia too!

Australia has way too much government with a 3 tier system of local/state/country and the treatment of aborigines and their lack of self-determination is a disgrace - but the climate is almost perfect here in Perth and the economy is doing OK considering the mess that most of the rest of the world is in.

In the end though I will run my business out of NZ cause the twx system is so much easier to deal with.

I wrote a while ago about [url=http://hubpages.com/hub/Moving-to-Australia]moving to Australia[/a]

6. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."

George Bernard Shaw

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good one!  I was going to say that I've only lived in one country, so I would be a bad judge.

2. packerpack profile image59
      packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And hence India smile

7. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Excellant quote LG and so true.

There are things I love about New Zealand ,its beauty ,her isolation from larger countries and her youth and optimism.,and boldness
    Modern and organised Govt Dept.(wait til ya try another countries ,lol) Free Healthcare.
    Paid Holidays, Maternity Leave,Bereavement Leave. Employment contract agreements.
    (to be fair I am still foreign about many of USA'S work policies yet)

Plus we  are ranked Number 1 in the world in Rugby. smile

(sorry Aussie and South Africa)we love ya ,y'know we do.

Yes Lissie I have family spread throughout Aussie, though having lived in South Carolina(USA) for 6mths now ,Im not sure Id migrate their for the weather..( I like it a little cooler)..then again I never say never ,anymore.

I love the USA for the opposite reasons I love NZ ,Its large ,sprawling cities, variety of foods and condiments,more for your buck, people, all kinds of happy approachable friendly people.Fun ,generous spirit! cheaper  utilities, cheaper cars ,cheaper housing...smile

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Well, I was born in the UK and live in Canada and I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else at the moment.

Of course, most people will say the best country is theirs. In terms of education, Canada is right up there with the best.

I would like to visit New Zealand though, sounds like a great place to live.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh UW , speaking of Canada my very first penpal was from Red Deer Alberta (her family were in NZ, but when she left to return to Canada, we wrote each other for several months) sadly we lost touch-years ago now. And when I was in Pa 2003 ,my son never forgave me for not visiting Canada lol, I was chatting to him on the phone and his words were .
      Mum ,do you relise youre only 4hrs from the  Canadain border ,so much more interesting than the USA ,I dont know how you could not know that ...kids lol (he was 20yrs and not impressed with U.S politics etc. my serious son)...side note
      I was on a greyhound being re-routed because Pres George Bush was in Pittsburgh ,and the driver invited us to leave the bus to go hear him speak , right there on the sidewalk...it was snowing and I was tired we stayed on the bus ,pressed our noses against the window and stuffed our faces with krispy kreme doughnuts lol

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'd measure "best country in the world" by things like general level of peace and safety, general quality of life, opportunities for people, availability of a decent level of education, a government that aims to protect citizens' rights rather than oppress people, and a level of being developed while still having lots of natural beauty.

If I step out of my US citizenship and aim to be objective, I'd say there are a handful of countries, including the US, that could be in the running.  If I stay "removed" from my being American, I have to say that there are things about the US I do think would qualify it as the "winner".  At the same time, among that handful of countries that could be viewed as "in the running", there can be different pros and cons for each; but I think it's reasonable for anyone to prefer any of them over the US.  Then, if I "mentally return" to my living in the US, I have to say I think it's a pretty good country to be living in. ABC's John Stossel did a program on poverty in America, and it was pointed out that America's poor generally have a fairly high standard of living.

Having said all that, any of us living in a country where there's a reasonably standard of living and reasonably decent government should be grateful because our countries are in the minority in this world.

1. Gennifer profile image54
      Genniferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree with these measures of the best country. Frankly speaking, according to these points USA can hardly be called a perfect country. For me the best country I want to live is Italy. I'm sure that the majority will be surprized and say that I'm not a patriot, but Itaaly is a charming country that impressed me greatly. That is the country I want to spend all my life!

10. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

US, Australia, NZ and the other members of the G8, and other industrialized country in the world could easily be nominated for this title.

Although my country is only a David and a dot in the world, I would say that the Philippines is one of the best place to live in. We always have the time here to relax, not worrying too much of how much money we can earn. There are a lot of things that are important that counts most besides good work and income, that is a happy family, neighborhood and friendships, and we Filipinos have that for we are amiable in nature and God fearing.

We have a lot of things to offer to the whole world, we have the talented, highly skilled and brilliant workforce that are in demand in different parts of the globe.

Paraglider's comments about us Filipinos.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Filipinos

We have tourists spots that are indeed fascinating and captivating (pristine white beaches, underground rivers, majestic volcanoes, magnificeint mountains and a lot lot more). We have animals that are endemic only to the Philippines (the majestic Philippine Monkey Eating the second largest in the world, Philippine tarsier the smallest primate in the world, the Visayan Spotted Deer, Tamaraw, and again a lot lot more.

The list will not end there we have the Heritage Park in Vigan, Batanes and the Tubbataha reef.

When it comes to biodiversity of marine life, Philippines ranks first in the world nosing out Indonesia. We have the most numbers of marine specie per given area and this makes our dive sites at par with the best.

We have more than a thousand of festivals around the archipelago making our culture emievil very unique, colorful and truly wonderful.

We have delicious foods (even exotic) and delicacies unique to our country.

We have the best pound for pound boxer in the world and perhaps the greatest in this Century who is Manny Pacquiao. And many more Filipino personalities that shone already in the world stage.

And I have more good to say about us...

Ahhh, yeah your right there emievil, nothing beats home no matter what.

11. fishmox profile image60
    fishmoxposted 14 years ago

Right now, the best country for me is my birth country, the Philippines.
    Fresh fish.  And I mean, fresh.  Tumbling down from the tubs.  Just off the boat kind of fresh.
    When I was younger my cousins and I would go to where the river and the sea meet, just before sunrise, with our bowls of rice and pitchers of "tuba" (coconut wine), and we'd literally spear them six and eight diameter prawns outta the water, heavennnnn!!!!
    I loved to go hunting for wild boar and deer and have this spot where you hack your way through foliage and out into the open and you have the Pacific Ocean right in front of you and to your left a waterfall tumbling down a sheer 150 something cliff into the sea !
    Best country in the world for me.
    Never mind that it's got the crookedest, most corrupt politicians.
    Never mind that its military get hand me downs from Uncle Sam and a pat on the head for being good boys and getting them "terrorists".
    Never mind that I can barely find a region where whatever dialect is spoken is spoken without a danged English word or phrase here and there.
    It's my birth country.
    I love it.
    Until the day when I swear allegiance to this host country of mine, and even beyond.

12. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

The United States however I do have to say that Australia and England are write up there with us. smile I love the U.S. and there isn't any place like home. smile

13. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

hmmm i always thought France was the best place to visit because everyone likes to kiss each other... lol

Nyahaha what do you mean there stunner, FRENCH KISS nyahaha thats wet and sweet... big_smile

14. accofranco profile image78
    accofrancoposted 14 years ago

Switz ofcourse! or Dubai UAE!

1. accofranco profile image78
      accofrancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my dad forgot his briefcase in a shop in Dubai,weeks later it was returned to him,and this brief contained vital things including money.What a beautiful country? Switz hardly engage in wars or suck their ass foreign policies like...? Australia would be a nice choice too.A

Acco I lost my leather "mans" bag off the roof of my car once in Melbourne. I drove to work and a guy was waiting in my office with the bag. It had all the staff wages and some of the takings, all my credit cards, license etc. all intact.
        I was amazed he beat me to my work place!
        I have also lost and recovered my wallet a few times.Nice to live amongst good people.

2. janni321 profile image59
      janni321posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dubai wink

15. Mac Mission profile image61
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

NO you dont get because politics makes everything worst......

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

New Zealand really does shine through here; for all the right reasons, including that only in NZ could a place like Bumble Town exist!!

17. Eaglekiwi profile image73

New Zealand rocks my boat ,where else in the world could you visit, the beach , a rainforest , major shopping mall, ski-field, all on the same day smile

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:yVmJJZv3Q3qZ8M:http://www.spasifikmag.com/images/travel%2520pacific/ARTICLES/niue/18AugNiueTourism.gif

1. andromida profile image56

Yeah. I think you r right.smile

4 million kiwis cant be wrong , so what are ya waiting ..see ya there smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or.... Shot a Stag... Catch a Marlin... Catch a Trout... Have Lunch made up of fresh Seafood... Go Water Skiing... Ride the Rapids on a Rubber Inner Tube... And still have enough day left to go Clubbing (Night) or (Seal) big_smile

Clubbing & Hubbing smile

3. LondonGirl profile image82

Large shopping centres are my idea of hell on earth, but in Israel you can ski and sunbathe on the beach on the same day, too. No rainforests, though!

18. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Ireland, The Irish Charm, The Scenery, Guinness and a warm welcome from the Irish. What more cud ya ask for ? smile

Hey Badco , what more indeed smile

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sunshine ??

Hand-delivered to Badco.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs12/300W/i/2006/334/f/7/Sunshine_by_nandolucas.jpg

1. profile image50

Happy Days because its pissing it down here right now. I think I am going to emmigrate !!

Yea well ,look on the bright side ,thats what keeps Ireland so green n clean smile
              and...
              Its hot n humid here in this part of the states, snake weather

2. Pearldiver profile image67

My ancestors settled in Eire in 1104 bc..
      It took a shit load of sick Irish Spuds and the thought of fresh seafood, followed by a couple of days prospecting to make a move to NZ. big_smile

1. profile image50

smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Yeah sorry about the Blarney big_smile I admit it was AD NOT BC big_smile

1. profile image50

Oh very, very witty smile

19. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Bah..Hey....... Don't forget our wolly mates!!  All 60 million Bleaters.  Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh smile

Lambchops big_smile gravy n peas n spud

Hey Pearl, wee girl from Southland( my hometown) won the Rose Of Tralee ..yayyyyy go Irish Kiwis

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Really? smile You know I always used to ask girls if they had any Irish in them... and if not; did they want some!!! big_smile

Ha ha..you wish lol

20. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Ireland has snakes as well, we call it our Government smile

21. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Canada....

(in the SUMMER)

22. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

The best country in the world is ... drum roll please ... undoubtedly ... UTOPIA!

No one can contest that!

1. andromida profile image56

Yeah,really great country.I am glad to meet someone from Utopia.smile

1. quicksand profile image80
        quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Make sure you visit UTOPIA one day! ... in the future! smile

@Quicksand Good one lol

Thanks! smile

Utopia is a very perfect and blissfull place to live in, its a paradise and according to the scriptures only the meek will inherit that place. I know this is what you mean quicksand.

2. GeneralHowitzer profile image67

Hahaha nice there quicksand but on the second thought Utopia doesnt exist at least on the planet. smile

Hi General! It is a land of the future. Plan your visit right now!

I know where you are up to nyahahaha.

23. profile image56
    Hubtravellerposted 14 years ago

USA has very high crime and murder rates. That should be high on the list of what makes a country a good place to live.

24. Sharing Insight profile image70
    Sharing Insightposted 14 years ago

There are many factors that contribute to a country's  desirability to live in or visit. 

I had the privilege to have lived and experienced private schooling in the Dominican Republic for an 6 amazing years.
    Being born in Ny and then raised in Miami, I can say that the contrasts between countries are astounding.

Here in the US the constant rat race feel or even just keeping up seem to prevail.  This of course is just an immediate generalizaton.  Ultimately it is our own responsibility what kind and quality of life we choose to have no matter where we decide to live.

I can't help but notice however, given my experience in different cultures that in other countries they deem more important the simpler things in life.

When I came across this article summarizing the Top "happiest nations" to live or visit...the Dominican Repulic ranked #2 following Costa Rica at #1.

http://news.aol.com/article/costa-rica- … n%2F556510

I was very happy to learn this and even more proud of my heritage.  smile

25. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

Every country's Constitution should be modled after that of the United States.

No thanks, not the way you interpret it.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do I interpret it?

By attributing this statement to Hitler on the second ammendment hub for one.

"This year will go down in History. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future. - Adolph Hitler, 1935"
          He never said it.

1. profile image0

first you have to prove it which could be difficult, as the man certainly had a lot to say.
            Second that doesn't have anything to do with the Constitution, unless you think by some eronious measure that I believe Hitler wrote it.

No straw man argument is gonna wash with me, your comment and on the forum cited, and as for it's voracity... google it!

1. profile image0

Theres the pot calling the kettle black. you think just because some NAZI wrote an essay in defense of his hero makes it untrue?

No I believe you made a false statement to support your position on gun control.

1. profile image0

Hey, don't blame me, blame the NRA. That quote is all over the place. I realy dont give a crap about gun control, but I know that the second amendment wasn't dictated by the big bad dictater.

26. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Everyone has their own idea about what is the best country.  I do love America, but I can also understand people living in other countries are partial to their own countries.  What I like about the US is the diversity in climates and cultures.  You could choose to live in the Rockies, the bayou, the Pacific North West, or in Hawaii.  We do have some beautiful scenery too.  Those are the things I love about my country.

I concur SweetiePie...but unlike Canada.. not a very cool place if you can't afford health insurance.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I also agree with you about insurance Jon.  We need to get our act together on that one, and I am very cynical of the people who say they do not want universal health care.  Usually they have never had to pay large out of pocket fees either, or they can afford it smile.

Universal health care.... those words seem like a stigma for conservatives... earlier today there was a guy in that health care topic calling all liberals as idiots... anybody who isn't agreeing to those few over there are booted out... those folks are really getting too defensive now that there man isn't in power.... hope Obama fixes the health care problem.... some folks think its a good idea to enrich insurance companies rather than Government...... I admit UK/Canada... much better system.... I almost laugh when some folks become so arrogant about our "superior" country... without having health covered for all.... how did we get so messed up?

By refusing to see what might be working with other countries.  Some Americans have clearly stated they think we should not do anything like anyone else, which might be part of the problem.  It is also the greed of the insurance companies and those who profit from this structure, so in reality universal health care is not an evil demon.  It may not pass because of staunch opposition, but we need to reform the system some how.

We have full free cover in Australia too, at least for the poor. America is a wonderful country, so diverse as stated, but I feel for your poor.

You are right about this earnest.  More and more even people who go to college and work hard barely make it.

I agree that there is amazing and impressive diversity, not only geographically, but also, as you say, culturally.

I couldn't bear living in a country which restricted everything I did because of my gender, though. All those Middle Eastern countries which make women wear black-out curtains, or don't allow them to drive - thanks but no thanks!

27. JonTutor profile image60
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

@SweetiePie Some folks behave like Ostrich.... I dunno when they will wake up and smell the coffee... Do you think the size of our population makes it difficult compared to UK/Canada.

28. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Population may make it difficult, but we will never know until we try you see.  I do not necessarily believe people are acting like ostriches, but they are just not used to looking outside of their linear viewpoints.

Some folks are so arrogant... we are so great because of .... and we don't need any other viewpoints... If we are so great.... why millions have no/little insurance.... how long are we gonna ignore the problem?

Usually people that have good insurance or a stable income are much more likely to call foul against universal health care.  The people who have struggled to pay their medical bills, the doctors, dentists, and even people in the insurance business are sick of the system because they deal with it day to day.

And they call themselves as "good" christians... "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24)

I really hope Obama can do something.

I didn't expect Matthew from you Jon! smile but you are right. It is just plain wrong to leave the poor in the position they are in with health care.

@Earnest I have years of Bible studies.... just don't use it often.... no point when I don't believe in it anymore smile

Same here. I do not have any need for it either.

I respect all religions... but don't respect fundamentalists... who push there narrow views down my throat.... I'm seeking my own individual path.. no more organized religions for me.

1. tksensei profile image59
                    tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure you won't be missing something important that way?

2. andromida profile image56

Cheers!

I'm whole-heartedly in favour, and we earn a very decent income between us. It's nto just about me and my family, though, we are part of a society and a community.

I know you and others in the UK and countries with good health care think more about the community aspect, but here in the US I have noticed many of the conservatives that are opposed to health care have never had to go with out.  I am not advocating all out communism to them, although some think I am, but our health care system is broken and does not serve the best interests of anyone, except those who profit from the insurance industry.

I remember my dentists getting so frustrated because they could not work on the teeth of certain kids because their parents did not have insurance, or limited insurance.  The dental hygenist told me I should be thankful I get proper treatments, so I always was.

1. LondonGirl profile image82

I think it's a matter of being happy to look in the mirror, and sleep well at night.

I don't think you can be content and know that you have a few extra quid in your pocket, but that kids down the road are going short of insulin for diabetes, or being rendered homeless by medical bill bankruptcies.

I really wish more people could see this aspect of the issue.

The first and last time I visited America were twenty five years apart. What I noticed both times was the abject poverty of a lot of people. I traveled a fair bit in America and talked to lot's of people. It seems you have high pressure middle class, a huge working class and the elite. We have the same in Australia, but nowhere near the number of super poor people I saw in the USA. I hope your new government will make changes to social security as soon as possible after it saves the world economy that is!

@Earnestshub US has its share of poverty.... but nicely concealed.... unlike other countries.... The new government has many problems to tackle... hopefully most of them can be worked out. smile

29. LRobbins profile image46
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

Canada!  We have a great education and health care system, spectacular scenery and we're nice (of course being Canadian I'm biased).

30. Tyson Ellis profile image40
    Tyson Ellisposted 14 years ago

I live in the U.S., and wouldn't change it... but back up plans are first Ireland then Australia. Hong Kong would be up there (taxes and business friendliness make up a large part of my decision) but I need a place where everyone speaks English.

31. karhubpages profile image58
    karhubpagesposted 14 years ago

East or West India is the Best.  Look at the facts about India.

India never invaded any country in her last 100000 years of history.

When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)

Chess was invented in India.

Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies, which originated in India.

The 'Place Value System' and the 'Decimal System' were developed in India in 100 B.C.

Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The Father of Medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.

Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus also originated in India.Quadratic Equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C.during the Vedic period.Even today, the largest used number is Terra: 10*12(10 to the power of 12).

Sushruta is regarded as the Father of Surgery. Over2600 years ago Sushrata & his teamconducted complicated surgeries likecataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones, plastic surgery and brain surgeries.

India provides safety for more than 300,000 refugees originally from Sri Lanka, Tibet, Bhutan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh, who escaped to flee religious and political persecution.

Yoga has its origins in India and has existed for over 5,000 years.

Really I am Proud to be an Indian.

1. usmanali81 profile image61

LOL lol lol

32. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

I vote for Swaziland smile

33. Mac Mission profile image61
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

India ........ !!!!!

34. janni321 profile image59
    janni321posted 14 years ago

I don't believe in boundaries, the whole world is one country to me

1. packerpack profile image59
      packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yo .... that was a good one

2. tksensei profile image59

Do you own a passport?

1. janni321 profile image59
        janni321posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi TK how do you do?
        yes, I have a passport and stood up in line for hours to get visa many times, but still I don't believe in boundaries. I also believe that the day come when nobody need a passport and visa to travel across the world.
        God didn't make man divided, the man who divide himself in nations and groups.
        I think most of people in the world agree that there should be no discrimination and restriction of borders

1. tksensei profile image59

He didn't make orchestras or baseball teams either, but we figured out ways to group ourselves for various purposes. He didn't build the walls or the doors of your home but I'll bet you're happy to have them from time to time.

2. tksensei profile image59

Ok, when?

35. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

The greatest country in the world is TEXAS!                 http://www.flagpictures.org/downloads/print/texas1.jpg

Maybe you didn't get the context right... here "COUNTRY" as in Nation not COUNTRYside. lol

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dear JonTutor: Down here in Texas...We tend to think of ourselves as a whole other country...just for fun...but that's how we entered our grand and glorious U.S.A....as our own Nation! big_smile It's a Texas thang'...

Howdy Manlypoetryman smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

lol

36. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Pandaland.

Pandaland is a country and a city. It is the land of the free, as far as I can see. And my post rhymes, see? Has your mind exploded yet?

Panda Man

37. Eaglekiwi profile image73

New Zealand Godzone smile

No poisonous snakes, creatures, or nasty critters (unless ya count politicians)

Beautiful weather

Bountiful oceans filled with fantastic seafood

Lush rainforests

Hospitable friendly beautiful people smile

http://www.breakawaynz.com/common/index01.jpg

38. manlypoetryman profile image81

Good Morning Jon Tutor, Eagle Kiwi, and Pamda Man from Pandaland:

EagleKiwi that picture is a Godzone...that is spectacular! I do know of a place with: Beautiful weather

Bountiful oceans filled with fantastic seafood

Lush rainforests

Hospitable friendly beautiful people...Costa Rica

http://www.tlfq.ulaval.ca/axl/amsudant/images/costa-rica-drap2.gif

ooooo..they have good coffee beans smile

39. manlypoetryman profile image81

Eagle Kiwi: They do have great coffee beans! I love their coffee as well....cool After seeing that pic of New Zealand...I would love to go and see that country, also.

Coffee , oh yes, one of lifes sweetest aroma's.
      have you ever seen them roasting the beans ? its amazing.

You have too manly ,it truly is paradise and soon it will be spring smile whats really amazing is that Aussie is like 3 hrs away by plane and both countries are so different in landscape ,fauna and animals.

If you travel from the Northern Hemisphere you also get more bang for your buck!! exchange rate etc.

Damn why dont the NZ Tourism board just hire me lol

40. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Australia. Just don't tell everyone, they'll all want to come here. lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here, here!

41. manlypoetryman profile image81

big_smile

42. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Hey manlypoetryman you write poems right?

43. manlypoetryman profile image81

S'up...Pamda Man...? [Please Note: This forum is dedicated to the best country in the world]

44. Bredavies profile image61
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

It would have good rules..and actually stick to them and rights

45. adsensesecrets profile image60
    adsensesecretsposted 14 years ago

Canada! free health care. great landscapes.

46. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Vatican City = Zero infant mortality rate.smile

47. Gin Delloway profile image35
    Gin Dellowayposted 14 years ago

After reading posts in this forum I have a strong desire to visit Australia and New Zealand. Some people here have talent to interest in their countries. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)