Hub Awarded Editor's Choice

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I just received an email congratulating me for one of my hubs being selected as "Editor's Choice". It didn't tell me which hub was selected however and I checked my stats and there is no new hub labelled "editor's Choice." Does anyone know how long it takes to show up?

1. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Jodah. I got an email this morning congratulating me on having 10 EC hubs. (No new ones, these are the same ones I've had before.)
      From the blog post, it seems like they will be choosing the HOTDs from the Editor's Choice hubs now. That seems like an improvement in the selection process to me.

2. RachaelOhalloran profile image84
      RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jodah, I also received same "generic" email with no specific hub titles. It says:
      Hi RachaelOhalloran,
      Hats off to you! You've had a Hub selected by our Editors for special treatment, including promotion onsite and via our social media channels. It will also be prominently displayed on HubPages.com. Only a small percentage of Hubs are chosen - nice work! Thanks,HubPages
      I wrote to team@hubpages.com:
      Hello:
      I received a generic email tonight from HubPages Editors and although I am appreciative, I am at a loss as to which hub you selected as Editor's Choice. I already have two Editor's Choice hubs and don't see a third selected with the icon. Can you enlighten me as to which hub you selected? I also received this same generic email on awordlover's account earlier, again with no title to show which hub was selected.
      Thanks, Rache
      Email rec'd at 9:22PM on Wed 1/28/2015 - sent new one to team Hubpages at 9;24PM - No answer as of this writing.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, congrats to everyone who has received the email! Well done on having so many Hubs selected!

The reason you are getting these emails now is that as part of the improvements to the EC Program, we have made the Editor's Choice accolade a numbered one (meaning the Accolade will display the number on your profile when you've reached 1, 5, 10, 25 EC Hubs).

The email doesn't mean you've had a new Hub selected as Editor's Choice necessarily, but we felt that Hubbers who have already reached those milestones deserved to be congratulated as well as new Hubbers just reaching them for the first time. Sorry for any confusion the email has caused!

1. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for replying and clearing this up Christy. It was just a little confusing to get this email out of the blue when your most recent EC was over a year ago. Got me excited for a moment thinking I had a new one.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image84
          RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

me too. lol.  BTW,  I heard back again from Matt at HP and he said the generic email was just to let folks know that that HP had plans in the works for EC hubs with promotions and showcasing on social media sites. Nothing more. 
          I think the main office needs a proofreader before blast emails go out. lol

1. Jodah profile image90

Yes they could at least refurbish their generic emails. They just had to add something at the top saying it referred to existing EC hubs, so it didn't make everyone (well with less than 5) think they'd been awarded a new one.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Good point. I've just updated the emails to make them a bit clearer for Hubbers who receive them in the future.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image77
                CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's disappointing. When I got the email I thought I had a new  EC.  I kept checking for it. big letdown.

2. Jodah profile image90

Thank you Christy, much appreciated.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
        Thelma Albertsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for clarifying this Christy as I have received this kind of email too and I have not seen a new EC hub.

4. Billie Kelpin profile image84
      Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jodah,

I think someone clicked the wrong button!  I got a message as well and tried to reply telling them that I have only one "Editor's Choice" and that has been there forever and I don't see any new labels; therefore, I am assuming this was sent in error.  The "reply" came back as undeliverable, so I think something went wrong on the server or through a hacking job.  I think it was just a wrong click of an "Send to All" button somewhere.

5. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

congrats, go to MY bank, look down your hub list, noticed there is a rectangle box with EDITOR CHOICE

6. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The same thing happened to me.  Not sure if the is a lag in posting the banners or if the emails are a mistake.

I'm also a little concerned about these new rules for EC.  I think they want more people to make their hubs eligible for EC. However, in the past I have had HOTD, facebook and twitter posts by HP all without an EC designation on those hubs.  Are they going to be more liberal with the EC awards or will these boosts in views go away? I've only had two EC awards, but many more HOTD and posts to FB and Twitter.

7. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The same thing happened to me earlier in the week. I had several EC hubs, but never got the accolade for them. I didn't know which hub it was for. I thought maybe they showed it on the first page and logged out to see, but I guess they don't do that.

The odd thing is that all the EC's I have are parts of series, and have several hubs of the same quality and style written as part of that series.. So I've always felt sort of insulted by the whole EC thing.

2. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Same here.
    Do you have any previous EC hubs?
    Maybe the email refers to previously chosen EC hubs to draw attention to the new EC policy announced in the newsletter?
    Weird!

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

It should show up right away, Jodah. Did you check your list of hubs on your 'my account' page? An EC hub will have the icon right on the same line as the title of your hub.

Congratulations, Sir Jodah. I have nominated some of your hubs as I am sure many other hubbers have.  I am happy for you!

1. Jodah profile image90

Thanks Lady  Phyllis, I have nominated some of yours too.

4. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 9 years ago

Jodah - Did you already have one or more Editor Choice hubs? I think the email is just officially recognising the EC hub(s) you already have. That's usually the case. I received an email today congratulating me on 25 EC hubs. They're not newly awarded, though - they've had EC status for at least 6 months. What's new today is the 25 EC hubs accolade on my profile that's now replaced my previous 5 EC hubs accolade.

5. easylearningweb profile image85
    easylearningwebposted 9 years ago

Hey Jodah and Peg, I received an email yesterday congratulating me that one of my hubs was selected for Editor's Choice. I was excited to receive the email. I want you my stats and select the filter to only view status of Editors Choice hubs.

I noticed it was the one that already was Editors Choice for a while, my hub page on gardening and mulching.

I was still happy to receive the email but thought that maybe there was another hose that was selected.

I'm guessing this is a new type of notification for Editors Choice hubs.

Still nice to know, and motivates one to write. So I'll keep writing

6. easylearningweb profile image85

Oops, I just noticed some funny typos in my reply. looks like it will not let me added so excuse the typos!  :-O

7. easylearningweb profile image85

Ah geez, added should be edit. using my phone voice recognition to type.

1. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This voice recognition interpretation made me laugh! smile

1. easylearningweb profile image85
        easylearningwebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You gotta love it! LOL.

2. Jodah profile image90

haha easylearningweb...."hose" was selected, voice recognition is not very accurate is it?

1. easylearningweb profile image85
        easylearningwebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I know what you mean Jodah, voice recognition is awesome when it works correctly, but hoes instead of hub is pretty funny. Guess what, I just recited the previous sentence and this time it got the word hub correct. Go figure! ;-)

8. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Congrats John! That is awesome. If you have not already done so, go under your account and look at your hubs. You should see a banner next to the hub that has been chosen where it normally has the black H next to the hub meaning it is featured. When you have five chosen for EC you will get an accolade on your profile. The HubPages weekly email we received yesterday stated they are implementing a lot of new stuff on the Editor's Choice hubs, so that may be why the delay?

9. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your reply. I read the HP email saying that they were now choosing the HOTD from the Editor's Choice Hubs. Then I received the email congratulating me for having "one" hub chosen for Editor's Choice. I have had three Editor's Choice hubs (the latest over a year old) and I checked my accounts page. Still only the same three. If the email was referring to these you would have thought it would have mentioned three and not one...strange??

1. chasmac profile image91
      chasmacposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You'd think it should, wouldn't you? But it doesn't seem to work that way.

Long after I had around a couple of dozen or so EC Hubs, I got an email congratulating me on having 5.

I said earlier that I received an email today congratulating me on having 25. Actually, I received 2 emails today. The first congratulated me on having 10, the second congratulated me on having 25 -(I've actually got 44. I counted them today for the first time). I can't see any that have been recently EC'd.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image84

Has anyone emailed the staff?  I think if not, I'll try and see what's going on.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Hi Billie, please see my explanation earlier in this thread.

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

I got two congratulatory emails yesterday, with different numbers mentioned in them. The numbers don't match (one is bigger than the other) and together, they still don't add up to the number of EC hubs I already have.  I don't know if they're going through hubs and HP is adding up the ones already designated & then sending an email as various thresholds are reached, or if these are new designations of hubs not previously labeled EC.

11. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

There are levels for each accolade:

Editor's Choice Hubs (1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 300, 500, 1,000)

It looks like HubPages is rolling out the accolades one at a time so you get the pleasure of getting each one you have earned.

1. Jodah profile image90

I wonder how many people have attained 1000?

12. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

I am happy for everyone who has gotten Editor's Choice.
    Congratulations to all.
    That must feel really good! smile

13. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Congrats to everyone for such achievement.

14. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 9 years ago

I thought it was a computer glitch when I didn't find any new EC awards today. I guess we are all "editor's choices". LOL

1. Jodah profile image90

It's a crazy thing to do if you ask me. Another generic computer generated message that is a waste of time me thinks.

15. tlcs profile image61
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Sorry Jodah no idea.

16. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

Jodah,

I sent an email to the team at hubpages and apparently they started sending out notices to ANYONE who has had an Editor's Choice.  I understand that since I think I never did get a notice when I did get an Editor's Choice and wouldn't have known it if I hadn't looked at the list.  So I think it's that the team must have noticed this oversight and is now going to send an email everytime a person gets an Editor's Choice.  So all in all, it refers to the Editor's Choices we already have unless, I suppose, we just got one at the point where they started sending out email announcements. 

Here's the response I received:

"We started sending out notices for Authors with any Editor's Choice Hubs.
    This message was sent for any author who has a Hub that is currently set at EC.
    So in many cases this message went out about Hubs set at EC some time ago."

17. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I received one too John and when I looked at my profile I had an accolade for it which was not there before.

1. Jodah profile image90

Congrats Kevin, you are the exception.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am the exception? I do not understand John.

1. Jodah profile image90

You actually got a new accolade....no one else did.

The Examiner-1.  A member of the hub team staff explains this above:  See Christy Kirwan reply that is highlighted smile

1. Jodah profile image90

I know what Christie said and I understand that Kevin, but you said:
            " when I looked at my profile I had an accolade for it which was not there before." I thought you meant you had been awarded a new Editor's choice" hub. I take it you meant you had a new badge representing the number of Editor's Choice you have received. I misunderstood your post, sorry

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
              The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I should apologize for not explaining it clearly John but that is what I meant. At first I thought I had a new EC until none showed in my stats. That is when I checked my profile and my previous EC received the award but I was still surprised.

18. Dana Tate profile image82
    Dana Tateposted 9 years ago

Congratulations Jodah, you definitely deserve it!

1. Jodah profile image90

Thanks Dana, but I haven't had one for over a year...it wasn't new.

1. Dana Tate profile image82
        Dana Tateposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's okay, I'm sure it was an amazing piece of work. When you find out which one let me know.

19. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 9 years ago

I was just notified of having a certain number of Editor's Choice awards which qualified me for a new little thingy on my profile page.  But I've had that same number of EC articles for over a year.

1. Jodah profile image90

Apparently the new thingy on the profile page i a new concept Cam...so congrats on that.

20. profile image0
    lambservantposted 9 years ago

If you go back and read the notification it was definitely a misleading email. I am glad they have changed further emails for clarification, but this was completely misleading. There is no past tense in the message. The accolade symbols have absolutely no value. They are just there for show. I have had less than 300 views from my editor's choice from a year and a half ago. HP does not seem to value their writers in a tangible way. I don't know if they were deliberately misleading, but it was hurtful and I am angry -the first time in the four years I've written for them.

I hope this will be the last time something like this happens. I love writing for hubpages, but we are their bread and butter and we work so very hard. I feel so let down.

21. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

This isn't really related to the original forum question but this was just posted by Christy Kirwan on one of billybuc's hubs about recognizing poets and creative writers  and I thought it worth sharing:
    "Nice suggestions, Bill. I do think we should do more for our creative writers on the site. We have some incredible talent. Hubs of the Day have to also be EC Hubs now, but I encourage you and other Hubbers to email me the best creative writing Hubs you come across. What I can do is try to work them into our social media channels to give them a bit more exposure. smile
    Thank you Christy.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that is encouraging. I think creative writers give a lot to HubPages with short stories and poems. I have held back on both because we do not get much attention or encouragement to write them. Over time I have removed most of my poems from HP.  Maybe I will start writing more poetry again.

Thanks, Jodah, for sharing this.

Same here, Jodah.  If I have a list, I can link from my website which is based on all aspects of language.  I have linked to pertinent hubs here, but it's hard to keep up with everything.  A list would be nice and help us as a community be synergistic (I don't exactly have a handle on that term, but I love it for what I think it is smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)