Bing is now paying you to use its search engine

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Well, this is interesting.  Bing is offering kickbacks for using its search engine:
    http://www.bing.com/explore/rewards?FOR … PUBL=BNPHP

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They did that promotion several years ago and it's legit.  My husband was able to buy a TV with all the credits he racked up.  I think Bing knows it works, because my husband still uses Bing even now,  more often than he uses Google.

Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good for him!  That is a powerful incentive.  Maybe all of the ex-Bubblews people will just spend their time surfing on Bing all day!

Bing has 10.29% of search market share right now (plus, it powers Yahoo search for another 9.31%, but Yahoo searches are not included in the promotion).  I'll keep an eye on its stats and see how this promotion works for them.

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sweet! Do you or anyone else know how quickly (or slowly) the Bing earnings accumulate compared to Swagbucks? I use Swagbucks to earn points that I trade for Amazon gift cards. I only use Swagbucks for searches, because I can't be bothered to do their silly tasks, like watching videos.

Swagbucks used to be Google-based, but they recently switched over to Yahoo. I am not liking the Yahoo search results, and it seems like it now takes forever to accumulate points. Can anyone out there who has used both recommend one over the other?

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thank you for the heads-up, Writer Fox!  That is interesting for sure and good to know.

3. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is interesting - though the link says it is not available in my country.

4. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have some friends that use the Bing for searches and the earning are real. I keep forgetting to use Bing. - Maybe this is a good reminder. Thanks!

5. SheilaMilne profile image92
      SheilaMilneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's not available in the UK apparently.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have used Bing for a long time. I am not sure if I did sign up for Rewards - but, I am going to go find out. Thanks for the link, Fox.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow !!! I did sign up long ago and have 270 credits. woo hoooo  !!!

1. colorfulone profile image77

Nice surprise for you.
          Phyllis, do you know what 270 credits would translate to in USD?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
            paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

$2.70. And don't call me Phyllis!

1. colorfulone profile image77

What should I call you?

big_smile

7. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I joined some months ago, but the credits disappear every time I shut down my computer. Still, I receive a lot of traffic from Bing and often find better academic and medical research listings through Bing than through Google.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You didn't lose your credits Patty. You just need to log back into your Microsoft account before you do any Bing searches. I've been accumulating Bing rewards for several months now and I have mine set to leave me logged in even when I shut off my computer, but that a personal choice.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89

I did and do lose the credits. I log in for searches and gain credits, and every time I log back in for searches the next time, there are 0 credits from the time before, no matter how many credits I accumulated during the time I remained logged in. Every day the same thing occurs. I gave up on it now, but I still use Bing.

I don't know why this is happening to you Patty. My credits never expire and others in this thread have confirmed that too. Bing even says that your credits never expire.

How are you logging in? If you use Facebook that may be different. I stay logged in to my Microsoft account, the same account I use for Bing Webmaster Tools that I have linked to HubPages to track stats on my hubs.

Thanks for your help, Glenn. I only log in with my Microsoft account,.

That's how I log in too. Something is being missed with what you're doing because you definitely do not lose your Bing Rewards. You are the only one this is happening to. If you ever figure it out, let us know.

I'll wait a few days and try again; will let you know what happens. Thanks.

8. Marie Flint profile image72
      Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is interesting; however, it appears I need to set up an MSN email (hotmail) address. I haven't used that in years, and I've been using Yahoo for so long as my email, I think changing would confuse everyone, especially my PayPal account linked to my Hub Pages payout. Since I'm not a big fan of "prizes and rewards," I'll probably just leave things as they are, but I'll keep this in mind if I feel ambitious enough to go through the hassle of changing my email listing with income-earning sites.

Thank you for the tip, Writer!

Marie, I have a Microsoft account but I don't use the msn email address. You can have the account for other reasons, such as Bing rewards and Onedrive (for storing photos), etc. Nothing will stop you from continuing to use your existing email address as your primary address.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.  To get Bing rewards I just opened a microsoft account, I don't use any services associated with it and did not change any of my online practices. I just take out the points from time to time as Amazon gift cards. The points add up slowly but once earned they never go away.

2. Marie Flint profile image72

Thank you for this reminder, Glenn. I tend to be skittish in creating accounts--I feel like I'm all over the internet sometimes. Maybe I'll get around to a hotmail account to pick up a few bonuses through Bing. Thanks again!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You don't need a new email account to get Bing rewards, just use the one you already have.  The Microsoft account is just a password system.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

Marie, as psycheskinner just said, you do not need to get a hotmail address. I don't have one. But I do use my Microsoft account to access my Bing Webmaster Tools, which I have linked to HubPages just as I do with Google Webmaster Tools. I actually recommend using both since you get more information about your Hub Traffic. The Bing Rewards is just an extra perk.

1. Marie Flint profile image72

That makes it a little better. My HP Notebook originally had MSN as the primary webpage. I've since been using Yahoo, then Google+, now back to Yahoo with the Firefox upgrade. So, I could probably just use my Yahoo email for registering with Microsoft.

All in good time. --Marie  P.S. Thank you for sharing your experience.

9. ESPeck1919 profile image85
      ESPeck1919posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep! I had been using Bing before I was aware of the rewards program, but once I signed up, I've been very happy with the rewards. Those gift cards are pretty awesome.

10. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bummer, it says not available in my country sad

2. Barbara Kay profile image72
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I use search engines for most questions I have and some of my research. Maybe I'll earn a few extra dollars. Thanks.

3. Gina145 profile image71
    Gina145posted 9 years ago

I've known about this for a long time, but it's not available in my country. I check back periodically just in case they change that, but it doesn't look like it's ever going to happen.

Looks like it is only for Americans right now: https://www.bing.com/rewards/faq

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Well, I went and signed up. Maybe I'll score a Burger King hamburger by summer. big_smile

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that your 'kickback' comes in small prizes?

$5 gift cards all over the place. And sweepstakes entries for larger prizes.

They are probably too small to buy anything that you really want, or need. Bing just offers these as promotional items to get new searchers. I looked at Bing and they just made me think of Yahoo! I will stay with Google.

Calculus-geometry's husband got a TV from his earnings on the program.  That's not small change!

Okay, but I tried them a while ago and I do not  remember what it, or they, was/were but something(s) turned me away from it.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I have used them (before they began this 'kickback' thing) but the results that they came up with did not seem equal to Google's.

6. seraphic profile image67
    seraphicposted 9 years ago

Not offered in my Country of Region yet...that sucks...

7. profile image0
    Lorelei Cohenposted 9 years ago

There are quite a few programs that offer points for searching the web. I use Mypoints.com for my searches but there are many other popular programs that pay for searching via them.

1. Gina145 profile image71
      Gina145posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately that one has the same problem - eligibility is restricted to people from the US and Canada sad

8. Hicks Days profile image58
    Hicks Daysposted 9 years ago

thanks for the heads up, i almost forgot this smile

9. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I make money off my mate Dave.  Every time he wants to know something I take a note of it and go down the library.  If I come back with an answer he gives me a biscuit.

10. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

I've used it for quite a while and have lots of points. I need to cash in.
    Other search engines should do this too.

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 9 years ago

Bing just "makes me mean".   I can't stand the way they have things set up or the whole, big, mix of "junk" they blend and connect (if you want to, don't want to, or didn't plan to but ended up with a bunch of stuff you don't want.)  You pretty much couldn't pay me to use Bing (even the name irks me) unless you were REALLY paying me super, super, well (and I have the accounts that are apparently required for the program - and have for years.  I like the way Google presents stuff (whether search or other products.  Between the way they (MSN) present whatever they present and their whole "commercial look" (or something), I just don't even really take them seriously (even though I know that a person can ignore all that other stuff, just search, and make their way to "serious" information).  Maybe it's just because I know Google better, but it just strikes me as being for grown-ups more than Bing does.

12. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I am now the proud owner of $.50. When this thread started, it was $.25. Yep, I know they look like "round" numbers, but it is exactly true. I guess I'm not much of a Bing searcher.

13. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I have been using this for about 8 months and have made about 15 dollars on Amazon, a free month of hulu, and several free large formats photo products.  It probably helps that my job means I run 40-50 searches most weekdays.

14. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

There is high competition in the market; Bing vs Google. Google remains the king.

Thanks for sharing this.

15. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Here's a neat story. Last week my brother and his wife came to visit, and they had their phones with internet connections. So, I asked if they were on Bing Rewards. They never heard of it, but when they searched to find it...they were pleased to see they each had a boat load of credits to redeem for gift cards.
    The end!

16. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Wow! It sounds great. I am using Bing after my nephew changes my browser to MSN last year. I don´t have any idea about this reward. Thanks for the heads up. I´ll check it now.

17. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Ops! It´s not available in Germany. Sigh!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)