OMG! My first $1,000 month on Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 166 discussions (242 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I honestly can't believe it. But I've checked my spreadsheet half a dozen times. Yes, I just hit the $1,000 threshold for November. (There could be an Amazon return or two tommorrow which will ruin the fun, but for now I'm enjoying the digits.)

I'm only running, Amazon, Ebay, and Adsense on hubs now, so I'm pretty sure that this is just HP income. For my level of traffic this is amazing. I'm just over 15,000 google visitors for the last 30 days. (I don't count anything else.)

How? I guessed right on some Holiday trends. And I didn't use a keyword analyzer to find it. I read magazines and listened to people talk at parties - tried to figure out what people wanted this year. Spent a lot of time in Wal-Mart looking at their displays.

Alot of hubs, most of them - old and new contributed to the effort. But the Christmas ebay hubs have played a bigger role.

I also got lucky, some very large purchases ended up on my impression and not Hubpages'. Some purchases were not even related to products on my hubs. And my adsense just took off. (Makes me think I should pay more attention to it.)

And I've written a ton of hubs (some you know about - some you don't) all geared toward attracting people ready to buy. I honestly think that's the biggest part. And I backlink to hubs ALOT like everyday ALOT.

This isn't really to brag - well maybe alittle. But to tell you guys you can make real $$$ here in a relatively short amount of time.

Anyways there really isn't alot more to spill. But here's to a better December for all of us.

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you hehehe...

Noelle... Keep it up... big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. Google Gal profile image62
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, That is totally awesome , as a beginner I hope to get there one day too smile Great for you, keep up the writing obviously your doing something totally right!

3. anglfire693 profile image64
      anglfire693posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is fantastic!  Congrats!  You are my hero!

Any advice for someone just starting out and struggling to figure this all out?  I have hundreds of topic ideas, but haven't had much time to write on only a few so far.  That and being a single mom doesn't leave me much time to do all the research I need to do.  I try to read an article or two on topics revolving around this every day, but honestly it is not enough!  My goal initially was to just get as many articles published as I could and figured the rest would work itself out, but I am a stickler for content, I write on subjects I know, but will double and triple check the facts....and then I read, and re-read over and over again for typo's and grammatical errors and to just simplify to ensure my articles are easily read and easily understood....anyway...I am getting side-tracked...

I was wonder if there were a few good tips you could give someone who is just starting to help them along before they get discouraged?

Thanks!

Dana

4. drwebb profile image61
      drwebbposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Way to go!

5. staciegarza profile image61
      staciegarzaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure exactly how this works. I want to make money also. smile If you don't mind giving some advice.

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to make money on hubpages, then you need to write hubs about things that people will buy, or you need to write hubs about things that are related to adsense ads that people will click on. There are lots of great hubs written about making money on HubPages.

6. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WOW!!! Congratulations!!!

7. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow thats awesome... Good job woman

8. profile image0
      cathinfranceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like very good news. Good for you. Tell me though - I don't understand what backlinking is. And I know I need to know!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Read these two hubs about backlinks:-

http://hubpages.com/hub/Guide-to-Backlinks
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Website-Tra … -earn-from

I also recommend that you learn these two hubs about tagging:-

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Traffic-Use-of-Tags
        http://hubpages.com/hub/tagging

Then look for hubs on the subject of 'Keywords', read a few of them. If you learn this properly then you can make good money, if you dont learn it then you will make nothing but pennies.

2. 20gsxr05 profile image59
        20gsxr05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here is a hub that is all about that subject
        <snipped - no self-promotion in the forums>

9. kcnck profile image60
      kcnckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My hearty Congratulations.

10. profile image0
      BookFlameposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is great!  But I'm curious to know that if you figured out what you made per hour of work invested in the hubs?  That's the rub for me.  I love doing this, but I couold make more money waiting tables or cleaning houses!

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very little work for over $1000 a month beats waiting tables, especially if you have another job.

1. profile image0

I agree Whitney, I don't want to clean houses or wait tables. And if I didn't do this I would go back to the consulting career that I once had. Hubpages is a SMALL part of my affiliate marketing income. And I expect my Hubpages monthly income to double shortly and to continue to increase.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
            livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm lucky that I get to play on HP while I sit waiting for my appointments at City Hall.  Sometimes I have a few hours between appointments.  Thank heavens for Wi-Fi smile

2. xriotdotbiz profile image57
        xriotdotbizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Understandable on an hourly basis, but it builds.  The number of hubs built and the SEO knowledge gets better and better.  That $1,000 a month could be long lasting, where when you stop waiting tables you are not making money.

1. Karina S. profile image60
          Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

True!

11. Metta's iPhone profile image57
      Metta's iPhoneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Congrats!!

3. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Good for you - really, great!  You are avid - and thanks also for sharing the info on how you do it! The more the merrier!

4. caravalhophoto profile image61
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

Gives me hope, congratulations...yeaaaahhhhh!!!

5. Dr23 profile image60
    Dr23posted 14 years ago

Nice job!!!
    I just started using Amazon in addition to AdSense, but I've been slow to get the ball rolling.

Keep up the good work!

6. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

How? Thats a funny question. You are a dedicated hard worker. Congratulations!!!! You certianly deserve the rewards of your labor.  smile

7. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

All right, Nellie! You rock girl!

8. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Thats awesome Nelle, congrats. To get to that stage in just 9 months is astonishing.... I guess the next target is to maintain a 4 figure earning over all 12 months of a year?

1. profile image0

Ryan let's shoot for 5 figures and make this really interesting. When we get to 1,000 hubs....

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
        Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the spirit!

9. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Good for you Nelle. smile

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Great job. big_smile

11. charanjeet kaur profile image61
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

Lol imagine how happy we are for you, by the time i searched a champagne to celebrate there are so many replies.
    http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/g/ge/genildo/1232597_champagne_and_ice_cream.jpgReally happy for you!!!

1. profile image0

Thank you for the wonderful champagne celebration!

12. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

13. profile image0

I actually should thank Maddie Ruud for the inspiration to work hard here. When I first was considering Hubpages, I read her story and that she had reached $1,000 a month with in a year, and that as the deciding factor that made me try Hubpages.

So thank you Maddie for getting me here!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

congrats, Nelle, I hope you celebrate today in some special way!! in such a short time to reach that level is remarkable.
      that's great news for all of us here to see it can be done. It's obvious you follow the plan/do/review method of business!

you can bet you will find increased traffic coming from HP cuz we're going to check out your hubs! big_smile

14. TINA V profile image68
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

Congratulations Nelle!  This would be an inspiration to new hubbers too.

by the way charanjeet, you posted a very nice picture.  I like it.

Have a great week!

15. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Wow Nelle, congratulations!  big_smile

16. Mrs.Nita profile image60
    Mrs.Nitaposted 14 years ago

Wow that's awesome! Great job! Please help me figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong.  I mean of course I've only been on hubpages for three weeks so I definitely have to put some work in, but I'm still confused at how to make money.  I've only made one cent so far.  Anyway, keep up the good work!!

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been here 5 weeks and I also earned 1 cent be cause I only write about education! smile

1. profile image0

Education has some very high paying keywords, some of my highest earning hubs are about education. I suggest that you learn to use the google keyword tool.... you could make some good cash.

17. John Kounoupis profile image60
    John Kounoupisposted 14 years ago

Wow! Congratulations! Really brings hope to all of us! A nice reward for your hard work!

18. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I'm pasting your avatar on my monitor ... you're my new godess. Congrats! smile

1. profile image0

Thank you. I just want people to know that I didn't do anything that we all can't do. HubPages gives us the most awesome tools and traffic. Thank you to Paul, and Larry and Maddie and everyone else for this fantastic ready-made platform.

19. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Congratulations Nelle!  You are an inspiration to me, to do something other than dabble.

20. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Nelle you truly are an inspiration to newer Hubbers.

I have read many a post where people say they read all your hubs.

Those are very smart people.

I personally cant focus my hubs on Amazon and I know you have recently changed your focus as well because of the sessions and so forth.

EBay can be a great earner as you have read in one of my posts and I know you are smarter than putting all your eggs in one basket.

I am very happy for you and you are a great example as to how important and powerful Hubpages can be.

We should all have a race to five figure and I would be willing to bet you would be at the top of the list.

Great work

21. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

This is great.  I still have not mastered the money making aspect of it.

22. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Question, if you have time:  Do you back-link on your own blogs, or on other peoples? 

And, if it is on your own blogs, what kind of articles do you use?

1. profile image0

I have a series of about 20 blogger blogs that I use to create backlinks directly to hubpages. I also have started placing my Hubpages widgets on my "Nelle" websites as I have them grouped in my mind. If you want to see those go to my profile.

I also have lots of other websites, and when appropriate I'll link to my hubs from them. I don't bother other people with my hubs. But I do exchange links with other people and my other websites.

I don't do article marketing, but after reading Dale Mazurek's hubs on them, I'm seriously considering it.

23. Himitsu Shugisha profile image71
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

That is outstanding!!

24. profile image0

Actually I mispoke a little. My traffic is more like 22,000 google visitors per 30 days. (I have a few alter egos that sell as well.) Don't worry they never come to the forums. And their hubs don't start with "Buy and end with Online", so don't bother looking for them! (They might even use pictures.) I really do diversify and experiment like crazy.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is pretty impressive nonetheless. I get around 5 times the visitors, but only 3 times the income. Still - you know some of the why. sad

Good job though. Should keep on growing.

1. profile image0

I'm not so sure, don't know what January will look like. I was so nervous abut the economy and the new credit card rules and health care reform, and tax increases at the local level, that I wasn't sure how much disposable income people would have.

So I really blew the last 3 months work on Christmas exclusively. Decided money in the bank was better than a long term strategy. So now I'm hustling like crazy on winter hubs (is snow shoes one word or two?) and Valentine's day. Oh and don't forget Mother's Day.

Relax - you will find that Christmas actually goes on through end January. smile

Then - ah - that is where the evergreen stuff comes in. Or not - depending lol

2. profile image0

Your Christmas stuff will still be here next year, so there is no excuse for not making $2000 on hubpages next November! And for goodness sake Nelle, look at the positives here, THERE ARE STILL 25 DAYS UNTIL XMAS!!!!! lol

2. anglfire693 profile image64

How on earth do you get so much traffic?  And how do you know the traffic is from google?  I am getting so confused on all of this....

Ugghhh

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle writes quality hubs. Her backlinks are provided by way of blogs that she has and if you look back through her thread she says how and where she places them.

As for traffic - click on 'my account' - top right, and look on the mid upper-left of the screen ... click on 'traffic sources' and that's how Nelle, you, I and everyone else knows where their traffic is coming from.

Before you do the above, if you scroll down the page, you'll see how much traffic you're receiving by day, week, month and overall.

The traffic comes as you add to your portfolio of hubs. The more SEO you apply, the more traffic will come from external sources i.e. search engines smile

1. anglfire693 profile image64

Thanks for your reply!  There is soooo much to learn!  You just introduced yet another term for me to research....SEO.....hopefully someday I will get it all together...

25. profile image0

Relax? have to look that word up in the dictionary.

Well - you already did all the work didn't you? There is nothing you can change now.

Take tomorrow off. wink

1. profile image0

I have Mother's Day hubs to write. Days off sheesh.

No days off = heart attack.

Guaranteed. big_smile

Seriously - they can wait.

26. profile image0

Online peaks earlier Ryan.

1. profile image0

Ok fair enough, but there is still 25 days until Xmas! Seriously though, you are going to have a lot of very mature hubs by next Christmas.... and I bet some of them dont die completely between now and then.... people are adopting stranger and stranger xmas habits..... some people do their xmas shopping in June!

1. profile image0

People don't buy many Christmas ornaments in July, although I do push them as great graduation gifts.

27. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I have to say that you have inspired me.  I think that I'll try to focus on some more seasonal aspects and products.  It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.

28. profile image0

RGraf I'm glad that I inspired you.

So many others Jimmy the Jock, Mark Knowles, Maddie Ruud, have inspired me by talking about their earnings and such. For the first two months on Hubs I kept saying to myself - "If Maddie could do it, I can too."

This is actually the first time I've really particpated in a forum. Usually I just sit on my couch in absolute isolation - and try to explain to my husband how I make money.

29. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

Congrats!

30. profile image0

Mark convinced me to take some time off, so I'm going to meet friends for lunch and play a little. So if I'm not replying that's why. All electronic communication devices will be off for the afternoon. I like to do that once in a while to convince myself I still can.

1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's awesome so in a polite way we would like to say we dont want to see you until tomorrow morning even though we know you will be back tonight.

Have fun

31. Rangerwife profile image60
    Rangerwifeposted 14 years ago

Congrats.  I can't wait to get there.

32. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Congrats, Nelle.  You've made a believer out of me big_smile

33. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Fantastic Nellie, most of my visitors are from HP, I don't get many from Google

34. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Go ahead and brag all you want - you've earned it! Glad you're having such a great season.

35. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed. Got to check out your hubs and see what all the fuss is about! Congratulations!

36. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Cheers to your success Nelle!

37. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 14 years ago

Congratulations!  Way to be *really* great!

38. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

When you get back from your relaxation time, I was wondering if you let me know about the percentage you are getting from ebay. I have not used ebay yet and was wondering if it was really worth it.

39. Journey * profile image68
    Journey *posted 14 years ago

Congrats Nelle. That's fantastic!

40. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

That is awesome Nelle. Enjoy your day!

41. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

far out! good job! I'm really happy for you smilesmilesmile

42. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Bloody well done - utterly fab news and I hope your $1000 soon turns into $2000 and upwards smile

43. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Fantastic Nellie:)
    Well done....and this news on the same day I got my first click! You've given me inspiration!

44. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

Well done, enjoy the celebrations. I did not realise it was possible until I saw your post.

45. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Nellie, I'm so proud of you!  I don't think you realize how much YOU impact many of us, as Maddie has impacted you.  You are a great role model all the way around (in writing & on the forums).  You deserve it!

46. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

It's all been said, congrats!

47. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Fantastic! I wish I had your drive.

48. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Congratulations. But is it also possible to reach those figures if you are not selling stuff. I mean if a hub is a sales catalogue it's going to make more money right?

49. charm_baker profile image56
    charm_bakerposted 14 years ago

Greetings and Congrats!!!

I just want to say I'm totally jealous of Nelle!  i think when you admit it to the person's face, that makes it acceptable and I don't come off as such a hater:)  It's amazing what you have accomplished and I know you have just given hope to a lot of us. 

To some of the new Hubbers (new as in a few weeks old), not to worry.  There are plenty of folks who get off to a really slow start.  I would like to mention to everyone who thinks it's all JUST about what you write, or JUST about your keywords, or JUST about the backlinks.  The reality is, it's not JUST about any ONE, or even two things.  Its' about taking all the good juicy stuff we learn here from one another and making it work for YOU.  But by NO means can we overlook the painful, boring, semi technical stuff.

Gotta go now - I have $999.99 to go so I can catch up with Nelle:) Seriously guys.  Hard work pays off - eventually.

50. Bibowen profile image88
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

Many congrats. You're an example to all of us.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)