Fiction Writers - Please Introduce Yourselves

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 182 discussions (278 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I have come across quite a few promising fiction writers here on HubPages, lately - including many people I didn't know before. Please introduce yourselves, whether new or not. You could also mention what you are currently working on, and whether you are seeking feedback from other writers, etc.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have only written some short and flash fiction.  I love writing genre stuff, especially science-fiction.  I have one pretty good weird western story on line that was inspired by one of my favorite writers, in my youth, Robert D. Howard.  My voice, his genre.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I still have something to learn about literary genres, which are so influential in the world of publishing. Sci-fi and Western fiction sound really interesting; I do know a few people who write in those genres. Look forward to reading some of your work.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
          uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Weird Western is a sub-genre of dark fantasy/supernatural and westerns.  It was a much more common form during the days of pulp fiction.

2. slowpokevoyager profile image63
          slowpokevoyagerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you do anything in the order of: Cowboys vs Aliens? I loved the movie. Or do you stick with a specific genre? Have you thought about mixing and matching? Love story and comedy. Or sci-fi and humor: like Restaurant at the end of the Universe?

1. Mary McShane profile image80
            Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This discussion thread has been moved to http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118695  so that new commenters can network with active HP profiles. Many who have posted to this forum discussion - including Website Examiner - are no longer on HP.  The new thread will be up to date with active profiles. TY

2. B. A. Williams profile image59
      B. A. Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have three books I am working on, one linked to my online game, musical CD and children's book. The other two are different genres, but what I post on Hubpages isn't from my novels, most are short stories, and one mini novelette I have started.

I enjoy people reading my work and curious how they react and if they enjoy the read.

3. donnaisabella profile image73
      donnaisabellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been on Hubpages for two years now. Most of my writing here is non-fiction, something that I have enjoyed doing in the last few years. I have however written a lot of fiction in the past and from time to time I am so drawn to writing more even if I resist it. I came to the forums with the intention of posting a thread to fellow writers (which I will do shortly), but then came across your post. Right now I am reviewing a fiction manuscript I did almost 15 years ago so I can enter a writing contest. I was refreshed by its content when I found it two nights ago and I thought the perspective is still fresh and something that may still benefit many.

4. Ruchira profile image73
      Ruchiraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi WE,

I am still trying to climb the ropes in regards to fiction. Let's see when I reach a plateau where I am confident enough to start venturing out on my own. Cheers!

1. profile image0

Hello Ruchira, how good of you to post here! In my view, the most important part of writing fiction is that it can be so stimulating and enjoyable. Sharing and getting published are secondary, the way I feel about it. But when you are ready to share, I'm sure you'll do just fine - and maybe even better than that!

5. carter06 profile image67
      carter06posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi I'm from Sydney Australia and have been on Hubpages for over a year now. I've just started writing over the last year or so after giving up my day job as a school Counsellor and have written a YA novel that has just gone through it's final edit and will go through a manuscript assessment mid February. Have also written short stories one of which is up on Hubpages - High School Blues. Thanks for your interest.

1. profile image0

Hello Carter, it is very interesting to hear about your project and plans for your novel. Manuscript assessments are a pretty big thing in Australia, and I have the good fortune to be in touch with one of your manuscript consultants. I also have worked with a literary consultant in Britain; both very easy-going and nice people. Even at such an advanced stage, your manuscript can probably benefit from being assessed by a professional, and you as an author will gain valuable new insights. Good luck!

6. dahoglund profile image71
      dahoglundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been writing some fiction on hubpages. Primarily western short short stories. Primarily two series. the first I call the carbons creek tales and the others are the Galvanized Yankee.

7. Sarah Bolluyt profile image59
      Sarah Bolluytposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just joined Hubpages less than a week ago, and I am already hooked on reading all the contributions! 
      I love to write (but I am not published).  My portfolio includes a science-fiction novelette, a multitude of essays, and a few poems.  Most of my current efforts are dedicated to writing an opera libretto; I am collaborating with a fellow composer on the project.

8. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm currently working on a science fiction article.  It's exciting to read comments by writers about writing fiction.  They're so genuine.

9. profile image0
      setarehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone!
      My name's Afsaneh, 18 years old, female, has long hair and a strange sense of humour (or so i've been told)
      I've been working on a novel for the past three months, since school's been out and in the middle when i feel a little annoyed with myself, i write poetry, prose, my dreams (literal dreams, mind you) and have SO many half finished stories i should really publish here on HP.
      All critique is appreciated and i hope to see all of your work too!

10. Barnsey profile image70
      Barnseyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greetings all,
      I am an unpublished author having self published my first trilogy as a self education in writing. Its true you never really know what your writing looks like until you see it in print.
      I have written Four novels since and am currently working on a trilogy of low fantasy/sci fi novels I believe may be deemed as Commercially viable, (If there is any true definition of this term), and am trying to publish another high fantasy novel. I am placing some chapters of a currently lost book which my old laptop ate up on me on my hubs. I was hoping for some feedback on the Cup of Insinuation chapters for inspiration to write it over again.

1. profile image0

You are so modest, yet also so ambitious. I am sure that you have produced some interesting work, and I hope to learn more about your projects.

2. seanorjohn profile image71
        seanorjohnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, do not give up your day job. You do not have the writing skills to write a novel. Honestly, stop now.

1. profile image0

Seanorjohn, what's the problem here? I hope you are feeling all right.

1. seanorjohn profile image71

The problem is, that I am an amazing writer and publishers should be fighting for
            my signature. That is why I do not write too many hubs. I will be published by the real publishers.#####

1. profile image0

I fully respect that. So now you've also introduced yourself, and I thank you for that!

Thanks website and I know you provide  an unbelievably brill service

2. cardelean profile image87
          cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  I say follow your dreams and don't let and anyone tell you otherwise.  Look at all those people who turned down now very famous and rich authors when they submitted their stories.  You never know what the bigger plan is for you.

I agree. I was talking rubbish, Go for it. Sorry.

11. NatalieSack profile image60
      NatalieSackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool idea!  I call myself a fiction writer on good days.  I only have two short stories posted on HP so far, but am considering posting chapters of my novel for feedback.

1. profile image0

You can write, I know that. No reason to be in doubt about your position as a fiction writer, I think. Sounds good about posting some chapters.

12. profile image0
      SAR2811posted 12 years agoin reply to this

HI,
      I'm new. As in just signed up and am navigating still. I write young adult fiction. Just finished the rewrite of my first novel "The Chosen" and am about to send it off to the first on a growing list of agents. I have also been working on the second installment to the series and it's going great!

13. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My name is Tamara Wilhite. I am a science fiction and horror author, in addition to working as a technical writer. I've published several short stories as Hubs, and have several books on Amazon.com.

14. Wizzie Crone profile image61
      Wizzie Croneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I write mostly personal narrative, but I do write fiction and  lots of poetry. I have a published book of personal narrative and an unpublished novel. I love writing fiction, but most of my writing right now tends to be essay. Not sure why, but most of it is related to my small business.

15. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have three short stories here on Hub Pages. These were written some time ago when I was studying Creative Writing. Feedback is always appreciated. I am longing to do more fiction writing, but my back ground is in news, and I seem to be stuck there. I worry about ethics (having worked recently in a job where I was privy to personal and confidential information) and, coming from a small town, I worry about privacy. Too much worrying, not enough writing.

16. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I write fun fiction on Hubpages but Google bodyswerves it. So I think I'll stay to factual Hubs from now on and try my fiction elsewhere.

17. profile image0
      PMann105posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've written and self-published a romance novel called To Get Me To You. It's about a woman who has been abused and takes the first opportunity to escape her home to make a new life for herself far away from everything she's ever known. She keeps the truth about her past a secret, but the longer she lives in this place that is like a fairy-tale she feels the strong desire to confide in someone. That someone is the one person who helps her see the importance of friends and love: two things she tried to avoid.

18. Sassy Mami profile image59
      Sassy Mamiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I'm new here and just getting the hang of this site. I written two stories but they are more fanfiction than fiction. I always wanted to wrtite my own stuff and now I'm ready to give it a go and be original. Just need to find the inspiration. smile

19. Sunny River profile image59
      Sunny Riverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just refound hubpages recently and I've been posting my NaNoWriMo story on here. It's called "A Rock And A Hard Place." I would love any input that anyone would like to give. smile

20. wtaylorjr2001 profile image59
      wtaylorjr2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Everyone,

My name is William, and I'm new to Hubpages. I am starting to enjoy writing science fiction and fantasy stories. I am starting a science fantasy short story collection called Circles Seven, and I would very much appreciate any feedback on my work I can get. I need feedback to improve.

21. tmbridgeland profile image79
      tmbridgelandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am Tom Bridgeland. I just put a new fantasy novel up on Amazon.
      Iron Magic.

22. profile image57
      FJLucenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi everyone!
      I've only recently started posting stuff here on HubPages.  So far, I have only posted poems, but I am planning to add a few fiction works eventually.  I am thinking of posting my first short story right around New Year's.

23. Mary McShane profile image80
      Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The message posted under each comment in this forum says "the post you are replying to is over  to  22 months old. If you have any new information to be added to this conversation, please consider starting a new forum discussion instead.  So I did. Since many former commenters and the original poster Website Examiner are no longer on HP, I started a new thread here - please join us http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118695#post2507795

24. profile image0
      johnmariowposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am a fiction writer.  I love writing short stories. 

I welcome all feedback regarding my short stories!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Me, me, me! Oh wait you already know me. If I can get my first non-fiction book done ... I already know what I'm writing my second book on. Just give me five years... lol

1. profile image0

Wonderful! I edited the opening post to make it clear that everyone is welcome. Glad to have you on board.

3. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

Hello! I've recently completed a 60,000 word Middle Grade fantasy novel, Molly Cheddar's Gauntlet, and am biding my time as I try to get published by a children's magazine such as Highlights. To gain more experience I am also publishing hubs, just recipes for now.

1. profile image0

Hello. Completing a novel is a major achievement. Sounds like a good approach to get into a magazine on the path to getting the novel published.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Vespa, what ever happened with this? What did you do with your book?

4. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

Hello...

I have been on Hubpages for six months and am currently working on Part 8 of a multi-part series called...The Wizard of Reno.  These past six months mark my first exploration into fiction and I must say, I like it!  Thanks for setting up a forum where I can ramble.

1. profile image0

Hello, thoughtful one. It is good to hear from someone who is new to fiction but has taken a bold step into it. I look forward to learning more about your work.

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

I write fiction but not here on HP.  My platform is with screenplays and I posted a few months ago about me getting signed by an agent that is now shopping my last romantic comedy and gave me a go on a psychological thriller that I pitched last month. 

The reason I don't publish my fiction online is because of fear of it getting stolen.  It's one thing to have a product or info hub stolen but to have your very own characters stolen would be like having your children kidnapped... well sort of smile

6. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

I plan to venture in that direction very soon. I hope you might consider me worthy, although I am indeed new.

7. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Hi. W.E.

My new novel is out, but you already know. I'd say what and where, but it would just be too spammy at this point. lol. But I like your encouraging all of us fiction people to find each other and find comfort in knowing that HP is a place where it's not ONLY about writing stuff to appease search algorithms and lure in people with a credit card.

Cheers.

8. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

I have been a member here for four months. Before that, I just read everything for three months. I have only posted one fiction piece and was a nervous wreck over it. It was the first fiction piece that I have ever written. I am working on another, to be 5 or 6 different hubs worth but have not published any of them yet. I am still polishing and changing things daily.

9. Seek-n-Find profile image69
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

I am working on many projects.  Most of my fiction writing is confidential (I write for educational publishing companies) so I tend to do more non-fiction pieces here on Hub Pages, but I have a smattering of different genres represented here so far.  My fiction pieces on HP are mostly poems and allegories.  I have a few fiction things that I'm playing around with but have not posted yet.  One is a children's book--origin tale meets Curious George.  Another is a fantasy story for adolescents.  I want to do a devotional that has scenarios that help people feel like they become a part of the story and are led into spiritual encounter.  These are just a few things.  I get so many ideas going at once, it seems the pieces that are commissioned are the ones that get my most attention because they actually have a deadline.  :-)

10. colpolbear profile image92
    colpolbearposted 12 years ago

I have a few that I'm keeping to myself and a chapter up of something I would like feedback on.  It's still a little pet project and I don't know whether to continue it or not.  It's called "Vehemence of the Sun."  I'm a chapter or two further in it but would like some feedback before I post them or continue writing too much further, so that I can make it better as I go.  Why practice bad habits?  Anyways, it's a sci-fi set after a nuclear apocalypse.  It's still just introducing the characters and general direction though.

1. slowpokevoyager profile image63
      slowpokevoyagerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If got one of those myself. It's far from complete, but I have the basic concept already. I have published some of it on HP, but it didn't go over too well I guess. I didn't get too many hits on it. That's a writers life I guess, try, try, and then try again.

11. profile image0
    timmathisenposted 12 years ago

My interest has always been in non-fiction, but I do write flash fiction and poetry.

For the book writers: Good luck with your marathon-like endeavor!

12. capricornrising profile image61
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

I've been posting a series of personal narratives that I wrote 12-13 years ago, looking at them with a fresh eye and revising them, with the intent of choosing the best and possibly offering them to someone for publication. They comprised some of my best work to date.

Thanks for asking - what a generous forum post!

13. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

I just started a three part short called "Sycamore Street"

14. profile image0
    ScottHoughposted 12 years ago

I'm a fairly new fiction writer; I published a novella and collection of short stories in 2011. I am currently working on a comedy novel, "The Butler Lake Wormhole."

I wrote non-fiction for years (some published); mostly about the stock market. I am also autistic.

HubPages has been a wonderful resource; even the most simple feedback is helpful! All the wonderful comments I have received are more than heartening. Connecting with my readers has brought me more satisfaction than I could have imagined.

I am holding my first book readings in February in Haileybury and Kirkland Lake, Ontario. We are expecting between thirty and sixty people at each: a large audience!

15. cavallo profile image60
    cavalloposted 12 years ago

Just finished a screenplay, took years. But fun. Waiting for feedback. Bin? Probably. Though had to write it. Now working on another. Teenage adventure.

16. profile image0

Thanks for all of the replies. I am reading with strong interest. Am impressed with all the productivity and creative energy flowing here! Each has their own voice, their own approach, it is fascinating.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
      Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glad to meet you.  I've been here about eight months.  My profile has more detail, but I have exerps from two of my novels here on HP and they are available on Amazon.  I write women's fiction, but have had some feedback from men who've enjoyed a look into the female psyche.  Working on a non-fiction about living in Saudi Arabia and have much poetry on my site.  Welcome!

17. JSChams profile image62
    JSChamsposted 12 years ago

Hi there, I am JSChams and I have a story I am working on involving two young people in Scotland and the Fae. Please read and tell me what you think. The first part you should read is called The Past.
    It then goes to Chapter One-Little Bird. They are numbered and in my profile.

18. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Hello, hello! 

I'm currently involved in a collaborative fiction project with some other hubbers.  It's been a lot of fun and a total departure for me.

I've been planning on writing a novel, but recently have changed my mind and decided to write a memoir.  THEN, I changed my mind again and decided to write a novel based on my life - which will be a great deal more fun, I think, especially since I can take quite a few more liberties and avoid offending anyone with whom I've been involved.

big_smile

19. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I have five short stories on here in this account. I posted one of them in my first few weeks here and it was selected for the Hubbernugget list for newbies, did n't win but it helped to give me the confidence to continue writing and sharing my fiction writing.

I now have a web page for my stories and am working on building up the traffic to that. If I ever write a book it will be short stories as I enjoy the challenge of writing and telling a story in a concise way.

1. triciajean profile image65
      triciajeanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, 2eusday. I like your reason for switching back to fiction. I wrote a novel for the same reason--you can't just go telling other people's stories that are their own to tell.

20. profile image0

Thank you for the replies! I hope that this thread will continue, so that those of us who are interested can learn about the fiction projects, books, and authors that are evolving around this site. That was my primary reason for starting the thread. We had something similar in the past, but that was quite awhile ago. I am reading all of the replies with more interest than I am able to express.

21. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

All writers should at least try their hand at fiction occasionally.  It's a pleasant break from sales or other informative type writing, if nothing else.smile

I'm always working on some fiction project or another as all work and no play makes Randy a.......!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope that you aren't referring indirectly to OUR PARTY Mate!  sad

There is Nothing Fictional about the Taxis we have ordered! Is There???? yikes

It Is VERY Important to Plan A Factually Perfect Escape.. Oops.. I mean getaway! smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would never use fiction to describe THE PARTY, PD!  Some things are still sacred to me, believe it or not!  yikes

22. profile image0

Gentlemen, please do not mess up my thread.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, WE!  My apologies!  smile

23. tlpoague profile image83
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

I have posted a few of my short stories here. The latest is my Big Nam series in honor of my dad. (He is also the inspiration behind my Redneck hubs.) I have been nagging on my mother (mljdgulley354) to post a few of her short stories too. In the past, I have dabbled with writing murder mysteries and a ghost story. Eventually I would like to publish them.

24. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

I have written two adult novels, but they never got published.

25. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Hi WE, my first fantasy novel for older kids is currently being polished, edited and fretted over and will be ready to start sending out to some literary agents in the next few weeks.  The second is already written and just needs editing, so need to get on with the third!

26. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I had already sold several fictional mystery stories before joining HP with requests for more of the same from the publisher.  However, I found I didn't like writing the types of plots they required so I haven't continued with the offer.  I try not to write what I do not enjoy.  smile

27. couturepopcafe profile image59
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

If you like a fast police crime mystery.

Much thanks to those who have already purchased these ebooks.

Creekwood and Creekwood2 available here:

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/eleecaleca

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6091346_f248.jpg

28. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

We've already talked, but I think I'll post anyway. I'm Shanna, I'm eighteen and I've been writing fiction stories since I was a kid. I'm working on two different stories right now-- both teen fiction, but in between school and work and social obligations, it's slow going.

I find that my biggest problem is planning ahead and knowing where the story is going and feeling that it's too cliche or overdone for me to even try it.

29. profile image0

I am grateful for all the interesting responses. I had been thinking for awhile about posting this thread, and now I'm glad that I did. Any published works, I will be happy to include them in my online directory, which already has nearly 20 authors. Any unpublished works I will be happy to learn more about.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, W.E.

1. profile image0

You are welcome, Couturepopcafe. They say "don't judge a book by its cover," but in your case I think I'll do just that. A great cover and probably a great set of books.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
          couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, coming from you, that's a nice compliment. I consider yours to be a good critical eye in terms of writing and what I've seen from you.

30. profile image0

Livewithrichard: I fully understand your concerns. I would not recommend publishing one's most important work online, either, except as part of a deliberate promotion of published books and eBooks. It is great to hear that you are going places with your literary works. Good luck!

Homesteadbound: Well, of course! The doors are always open. You can get started on some noteworthy fiction in no time.

Uncorrectedvision: Duly noted, and thank you! I am not a person of the mainstream, and always enjoy things of a more esoteric nature.

Shadesbreath: Indeed! I can say that I was pleased that you decided to go that route. Your novel is available via my online directory, which in turn is available via my profile page. I hope things are working out for you.

Becky Katz: It sounds very exciting, both for you and the readers. Small steps is a good approach. Get some feedback, adjust, and move forward. I look forward to learning more.

Seek-n-Find: It sounds a bit mysterious, and very intriguing. I am glad that you have found good uses for HubPages, as a supplement to your professional writings.

B. A. Williams: You write really well, I think. I am still learning about your works and writing style, but I like everything I've seen so far. Thanks.

Timmathisen: Flash gives a lot of possibilities for those who know to make a point. I consider myself a book writer, primarily, but enjoy shorter formats as well. Thanks for supporting the community.

Capricornrising: So, the time has come to revisit some of your previous works. It may take some time to review and polish so much material, but I hope that it pays off for you. You are most welcome to the thread.

Xenonlit: Thanks, I look forward to learning more. I do like the title.

ScottHough: Novellas and short story collections are attractive formats for many writers. I really enjoy working with novella length manuscripts, which can be done in between other things. Good luck with your novel.

Cavallo: Yes, screenplay. Finding discerning readers for that isn't so easy, I guess, it is a very specialized set of requirements. I hope someone in the HubPages community can help you. There are other screenplay writers around.

Kathleen Cochran: Glad to meet you, too! I will be looking at your work, including your published novels, so as to include them in my directory. I look forward to learning more about your authorship in general.

JSChams: Duly noted, thank you. It may take a little while for me to get to your stories, but I'll get there for sure.

Motown2Chitown: Yes, I vaguely remember something about the collaboration, which seems solid. Changing your mind is fine, as long as it points you in the right direction.

2uesday: Thank you for the information, that is very good to know!

Randy Godwin: I am interested to learn about your work, which I have heard about in passing from time to time. I know you to be a serious fiction writer. Glad to exchange views and comments about editing and such.

Pearldiver: Thanks for contributing your thoughts. Your posts are always original and cutting-edge.

Tlpoague: Thanks for letting me know. I will have to learn more about your work. It is very good if you can gradually inspire your mother to bring her works out for public viewing as well.

Dave Mathews: Interesting. Let's just say that they "never got published, so far."

Donnaisabella: This could be an important period for you, as far as deciding what to do with your work. I wish you luck with it, and thanks for sharing.

Couturepopcafe: Somehow it makes me feel relaxed to know that the works have already been published. Then one can enjoy.

Shanna: We have barely been introduced. I appreciate your openness about your plans. It is natural to be in doubt about some things, and critique can be helpful to answer questions. It is my preference to critique works that have been completed, like a short story, so as to give the writer the time to get some traction.

31. dallas93444 profile image76
    dallas93444posted 12 years ago

I have just completed a book with the title: "Eyes Wide Shut: An Enigma." with a website using the book as the URL.
    I initially used Hubpages to get reader's input on my rough drafts... I encourage others to do so.
    I have learned much. Most important: I have learned what I do not know!
    I have a draft of another book, "Yes Mom, I Do 'Remember" with the first seven chapters in Hubpages...

1. profile image0

All right, Dallas, that is great news, and I do recall something about that. I will look up the title and see if I can get it listed.

32. ifroseswereblue profile image61
    ifroseswereblueposted 12 years ago

I've always been fascinated with writing books so when i read this i was pretty happy to see someone else was interested in fiction writers. I'm continuously  having book ideas so its not a surprise that I'm writing quite a few things at once. There's another site called Wattpad that i have a few of my works, although there are two specific ones I'm working on currently called The Creed and Because It Was Always You (also come to be known as BIWAY). I commonly write Romance/Supernatural Fiction but i tried my hand at realistic fiction with BIWAY. I'm currently working on getting one of my books published.

33. profile image0

Ifroseswereblue, you are clearly very dynamical. It is a good idea to try different genres. Welcome to HubPages; I hope you will find friends and readers here.

34. homesteadbound profile image82
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

I have added a link to this forum in my latest hub luv #13.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your kindness!

2. brittanytodd profile image89
      brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea, Cindy!  This forum is a great way to meet writers that love fiction.  I am having so much fun reading all of these hubbers' work!

35. triciajean profile image65
    triciajeanposted 12 years ago

I have really enjoyed reading the many responses to this topic. Wow! We have a lot of projects here.

I write short stories and have written a novel, presently at work on a novella. I started with non fiction, Sweet Potato Suppers, a memoir of my years living in a hippie village called The Farm. At the end of that book my oldest child was five. My fiction book Gideon's River is a sequel to Sweet Potato Suppers. I just couldn't keep writing about my growing children. So I took the themes of family relationships and the roots of personal confidence that mattered to me and created characters and a story to go with them. Both books were fun and are getting lots of responses.

I'm enjoying this thread. Isn't "Tell me a story" 'bout the oldest request in the world?

36. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

I wrote earlier that I have only published one fiction piece. Mostly, I write about my family and the crazy, funny things that they have done. Light humor. I like to write pieces that bring back memories of your own children. They are feel-good pieces. I would love feedback on them, but I am not sure whether I am ready for an honest, brutal critique.

37. shape_shifter profile image60
    shape_shifterposted 12 years ago

All right! The old one appears to have dried up, but here we are... This sure filled up fast! (I'm not surprised, there is a lot of talent here) I'm in pre release of the sequel to my debut novel, previews of both available right here! Come by and check 'em out.... Well, off to work on part 3!

1. vespawoolf profile image93
      vespawoolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This thread is on fire! I've really enjoyed reading your introductions and look forward to following your work. I'm overwhelmed by all the talent to be found on HP. I have each and every one of you bookmarked. :   ) Yes, writing a novel IS a marathon, which makes the end result that much more satisfying.

38. Mark Pitts profile image65
    Mark Pittsposted 12 years ago

I am currently pposting "First Speaker, Second Voice" on Hub Pages. I intend to do another when it is done (8 more chapters) I am always seeking feedback, and willing to listen. I get off on knowing someone is reading my work.

39. weestro profile image76
    weestroposted 12 years ago

Hello all, I've started writing short stories on HP and it is highly addictive!  I still write other hubs but I'm really enjoying the fictional stuff.  I have a lot to learn but I'm enjoying learning it.

40. profile image0

Triciajean, you definitely have stories to tell, and the knowledge to go with it. Glad that you are enjoying the thread, and thanks for giving your insights.

Becky Katz, it is good to be aware of the difference between informal feedback and critique. At the right time, a critique can help a great deal, but first you should feel confident that you have given it your best shot. Critiquing “works in progress” often doesn't work out so well.

Shape Shifter, yes, I recall that excellent thread that you started, and it went on for quite awhile. Glad to have you participate here.

Vespa Woolf, the first novel is the hardest in some ways. On the other hand, the drive is so strong. Having done it once, you know you can do it again, which may help but also give some complacency.

Dahoglund, I have seen some of your serial posts: Lots of them, and well-received apparently. Western fiction is a genre that continues to fascinate writers and readers, including some new writers.

Britanytodd, that was part of the idea: Giving people an easy point of reference. Thanks for participating.

Mark Pitts, you are posting a lot of fiction, then. I will take a look, and hope you gain many readers.

Weestro, sounds perfect, just the kind of thing we enjoy hearing. Fiction can be addictive, many can attest to that. Good luck!

41. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

I have published a 400 page Law book (Packaging and Labelling Law)and I am just finishing the second edition.

I have written 20,000 words so far of a "weepy" novel for which I will be looking for a commercial publisher.

42. LABrashear profile image59
    LABrashearposted 12 years ago

What a wonderful post!  Thank you for starting it!  I have found so many interesting writers to check out.  I recently pulled out my first novel and started editing.  It's a psychological thriller without a title. ( I have tried several and none seem to fit!) 

As a few here know, I am working on a paranormal investigator piece right now - and have stalled out.  Sorry to those that have asked about it.  We go where the creative river takes us!  I have three other novel ideas started.  I get very excited about an idea and have to at least get it started.  My plans are to prep my thriller and paranormal pieces first.  Then, I will return to the other three ideas.  Of those three, one is a fantasy and two are historical thrillers.

43. Peter Allison profile image78
    Peter Allisonposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this post! Great to see other fiction writers - who I'll be following after I post this! Can't wait to read your stuff. I am following or am familiar with a few of you already and I agree there is a lot of strong writing on HubPages. I just published my novel 'Lockyer Own Storage', a few chapters of which are on HubPages. My local bookstore (small chain) called Books Inc. picked the book up and has invited me to read and sign in late March! I'm psyched as you can imagine. I plan on publishing the book chapter by chapter on HubPages to share with this community and to provide teasers to those who find it. If they want to read the full 336 on their tablet or laptop I hope they go for it, though I'd rather they purchase and save their eyes! Still, I'd love for YOU ALL to go to my profile and read my fiction - critique it, comment, tell me what you think - please!  Let's build the community, do virtual readings, book clubs, whatever. Let's have fun!

44. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I am and I am currently working on two.

45. parrster profile image82
    parrsterposted 12 years ago

I have two completed and two WIP novels for you to read here on hubpages for free, aren't I nice smile

1. Terror's Child - For those that enjoy a a good contemporary Christian drama with a dash of action and romance.

2. Truth to Tell - A deceptively honest tale of a man faced with a horrible dilemma; to confess his most secret sin or lose the life of a loved one.

3. The Azure Ancient - for lovers of fantasy adventure. A tale of an Elfin empire at the crossroads of annihilation.

4.The Prodigal King - An unappreciated birthright cannot always be escaped, and challenges confront he that tries.

46. dadibobs profile image58
    dadibobsposted 12 years ago

I hope this is still active!, if not i am talking to myself lol

I am currently writing a good old fashioned zombie story. This however is set in the UK and Europe, and doesn't follow normal ideas about our hungry friends.

What Went Wrong (link on my profile smile

dadibobs

47. profile image0

Charles James: Very interesting. I found the link via your profile page, and will get your book listed in my directory. Thanks.

LABrashear: You are very welcome! I look forward to learning more about how the editing and other work on completion of your novel is going. Please keep me posted.

Peter Allison: Congratulations on your novel! I will get it listed in my directory. I also think it is good that you welcome feedback and critique from other writers.

AEvans: Sounds great. I hope to learn more.

Parrster: I see. I will check up on your work, thanks.

Sarah Bolluyt: Sounds great about a novelette, and there are other works to look into. I shall do that, thanks.

Dadibobs, I appreciate the comment. I will check out your work, and what may have gone wrong (thus far).

48. Marlin 55 profile image69
    Marlin 55posted 12 years ago

I came to hubpages tow years ago and all I wanted to do was publish my comic strip The Cosmos Frame by Frame. The only problem was that I had to publish an article along with it, so I took some jokes and stuck it with the comic strip. I wasn't allowed to re-publish jokes that already existed on the web. I wrote some crap and then I re-wrote that crap into a little better crap. I decided to get serious on writing and I wrote The Agency and that was my first serious piece of work for for fiction writing. At this moment, I've almost completed my first novel. And I'm glad to have met so many talented writers here on hubpages.

49. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I am, and have been for several months, writing a psychological thriller. I'm still developing my characters and they are taking me to some very dark places. I had no idea that my imagination could be so grim.

50. termaine profile image57
    termaineposted 12 years ago

Termaine Jenkins.
    My specialty is mystery and young detective fiction. 
    Havn't posted yet but will soon,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)