Is it still profitable to write hubs, after the changes at Google

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (39 posts)
  1. hathibelagal profile image68
    hathibelagalposted 12 years ago

I see that hubs are getting ranked a little lower on the search results. Do you guys too see a drop in traffic?

This is my first post in the forums, so please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has also declined, but not by much because I have continued to publish new ones though not at the same rate as before.
      Yeah the site is ranked lower, but it is still ranked, and that makes it worth fighting for.

2. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It can be profitable, or it can be used for ebook content. Smashwords is where Amanda Hocking started. In her first year using Smashwords and Createspace she sold 1 million ebooks and made 4 million dollars. Two million was profit and 2 million was from the book deal she signed.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

My traffic dropped 50% post panda. A lot of my hubs stopped getting views - so all those hubs (over 100) have been moved elsewhere. The trafficked hubs stayed.

1. kiwitom profile image50
      kiwitomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WryLilt, have you re-posted your non-ranking hubs to another 2.0 site, or used them to form niche sites? I have a heap of hubs that are reciving zero views post-panda, however they cover a range of topics and aren't necessarily suited to a niche site so I'm looking for somewhere worthwhile to publish them. My understanding is that most 2.0 sites suffered a similar fate to hubpages when the algo changed?

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually a lot of "content farms" did fine - for example Squidoo. I think Hubpages got slapped because of the huge amount of spam.

You could try sites like xobba, thisisfreelance or excerptz to republish your articles.

Thanks, i didnt know about xobba. I have a couple of articles on excerptz to see how they go... and to help give Ryan a bit of volume. I'll be intrigued to see how he goes.

2. IzzyM profile image87

I would not pull hubs from here to republish on another site. If the hubs gets unpublished then that is another matter.

The sites you mention are new and do not have the authority HP hold, even now. I am surprised at an  'Elite' even suggesting unpublishing content from here to use elsewhere.

1. WryLilt profile image89

Actually I'm getting more views there on those articles than here.

1. habee profile image92
              habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So am I.

2. Dorsi profile image86
            Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I am holding tight. I feel this will pass and HubPages will revive.
            Patience, and more patience!

3. hathibelagal profile image68
          hathibelagalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Hubpages has a sharp dip in Alexa rankings, so very unlike Squidoo. I was wondering if this is the right time to start our own websites instead of relying on these community websites.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes if you know what you are doing and you are in this to make money, now is as good a time as any to start your own websites, but Hubpages has given a lot of us breaks, started us out on the road and for that I will be forever grateful.

As Marissa said, hubs still make money and a lot more than they did two or three years ago. I reckon Panda has only knocked us back six months.

I am continuing to publish but do not discount the possibility of moving non-performing hubs elsewhere, although to be honest as writers it is just as easy for us to re-write new articles for other sites or even our own.

I think HP will recover, though I don't know when, but until then keep publishing both here and other places.

4. DMyhill profile image60
          DMyhillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could also try infobarrel and howto-guidebook.  I have found them both pretty good alternatives for the sort of articles I want to write.

5. viryabo profile image93
          viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thisisfreelance is great and seems to have growing potential.

I write there and have page views that seem to grow steadily.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
            mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, and I am now also publishing on Thisisfreelance, Excerptz and Xobba. Considering how short the time is I have been on these sites, and how few articles I have moved to them, I am amazed that I am already earning from these newer sites, and getting good viewings. Certain Hubs do well here on Hubpages, and I shall no doubt leave them here until that changes. The best part is Xobba, Excerptz and Thisisfreelance were all unaffected by the Panda update. As everyone keeps saying, don't rely on one site, diversify and therefore spread your risk. Putting all 'your eggs in one basket' is rarely a good idea!

3. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

I think judging by the fact that most of the profitable hubbers have left...

1. hathibelagal profile image68
      hathibelagalposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow, so is Hubpages a dying community?

4. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 12 years ago

I have to say that I am HUGELY concerned as well, my hubs are slow and the money has dropped on google and not making it up here at hubpages either....great concern.  Plus, with many leaving, I am not liking that either.  Any help?

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

My hubs or rather my views have increased about 15% overall from about a month ago, however this may be because I have kept publishing a hub per day. My Adsense has declined by 9% and my Hubpages Ads have increased by about 11% for the same time period.

6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Hubpages has dropped from 74th to 247th in Alexa.

7. jasoncox83 profile image60
    jasoncox83posted 12 years ago

To give it a straight forward answer, no it is no longer profitable to write for any 2.0 site (AC,Suite,HP,Bright Hub,Helium etc. Every single one got slapped hard by Google, the only one who seemed to survive was Squidoo but good luck making any money with them lol. Any decent money that is, if it's not within the top 10,000 lens then you will never make money unless it's outside of the site.

Hmm, thats what i thought. Do you have an opinion on the relative value of backlinks from these 2.0 sites? Are they much the same? Or are links from 2.0 sites only really good for traffic generation?

2. WryLilt profile image89

The way to make money from Squidoo is through Amazon. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It didn't work for me sad

1. viryabo profile image93
          viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me neither.

In 2 years, i think i've made $10 from 3 or so from amazon sales. That was all.

Otherwise, Nada!!

I don't particularly like squidoo.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

That's true, to a point. However I think it's worth mentioning that although my Hubs aren't earning as much, they're still earning.

Three years ago, when I started, I would've been delighted with my current income. I had no idea I could earn so much money on my articles!  I'm still earning far more here than at Helium, or any other revenue-sharing site for that matter - so it's all a matter of keeping it in perspective.

8. downpourofwords profile image40
    downpourofwordsposted 12 years ago

There seems to be a general consensus that the Panda change has done more harm than benefit the hubbers. It is true also since 90% of bloggers reported a drop in earnings/page views. Now one thing to be understood is that this change was made by google in order to enable core businesses to prosper. Till now, everyone including bloggers, individual enterprises, ecommerce websites were benefited by Google web crawling and ranking techniques. Now google has harmed us bloggers by coming up with an algorithm which ranks individual enterprises, proprietary businesses above content marketing. This will ensure that they streamline relevant consumers to the right set of producers waiting to sell their products/services. However come what may, there will be scope for improvising the way in which we hubbers/bloggers can try to sneak through the algorithm. I am trying to figure this out with some of my buddies and I will post a hub on this soon. No software code is perfect and bereft of fallacies. There is definitely a reduction in earnings but it hasn't stopped. So lets keep our fingers crossed and wait. I will try to post my hub with some tips pretty soon.

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

That isnt even close to being true.

What is true is that some sites suffered and some sites rose. For years many sites ran by individuals in smaller niches were easily overtaken by large web 2.0 powerhouses, with the Hubpages, eHows and other farms suffering from sort of domain wide devaluation many of the smaller sites have worked there way up the ladder.

This also includes scraper sites, autoblogs and other crap sites that you would expect to be hurt by this "quality" focused algorithm.

It would seem many really big sites arent part of googles vision anymore as previously when they were awarded high trust the searchers became annoyed at the "quality" of search results. Google isnt likely to return that trust anytime soon

One should never move well performing content or unpublish for any reason - if something is unpublished then in many cases you are starting over anyway so its an opportunity to move to your own site or to the sites listed (full disclosure-one of which I am a part of)..any of the high profile article sites of yesteryear are probably pointless and you could do equally well ranking with a brand new site, a little seo knowledge and a lot of hard work - the bonus of course is 100% of the earnings (or 70-90% at the sites listed) and full ability to test different forms of advertising and reader engagement. But poor performing content, hell - spread it around as much as you can to see if it jibes better at other locations.

It may be worth your time to look into guest blog posts also, even though you wont directly earn, if your content is engaging (a much better word then "quality" IMO) then you may attract readers to your own site and gain some link juice along the way.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

Just what I was thinking.

10. Sunnyglitter profile image83
    Sunnyglitterposted 12 years ago

The Google changes killed my earnings.  I think I've made around $25 or $26 total for the last 2 months.  That's $13 a month, not $26 a month.  My Adsense earnings are practically nonexistent and most of my earnings are coming from HubPages AdProgram.  I'm going to stick around, though.  I have other sites where I write for profit.  HubPages is more of a creative outlet for me.  I'm still sad about my earnings, though.

11. jasoncox83 profile image60
    jasoncox83posted 12 years ago

The best way to earn money now is to just start your own website.

12. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 12 years ago

Being on Hubpage is like being in the Stock Market. Your earnings are going to fluctuate up and down based on demands from the users of Google and other search engines. Just like in the Stock Market you have to be in it for the long haul unless you get lucky and to be profitable in Hubpages you must be in it for a while. This is not a get rich quick site. I am writing on Hubpages just to make a little extra, passive income on the side. A few extra dollars can go a long ways when you need it.

13. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

While I was pretty depressed over the whole Panda slap, and my traffic was way down, it is picking up slowly.
    I think that HP has a lot more work to do on getting rid of the rubbish, the 2 sentence long hubs, and spun articles.
    I also think that Google was once a democratic thing, with anyone who is willing to work, create quality articles and links able to succeed. It's a shame to penalize the little guys in favor of businesses and corporations. Just another example of the money people stepping our toes. Robbing from the poor and giving to the rich.

14. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 12 years ago

Hubpages traffic is down about 45%, earnings for Adsense completely bottomed out before I got the HP ad program, but that is now at about 60% what I was getting in Adsense. Amazon was my big earner here, completely bottomed out for two months and now is coming back a bit, maybe I just need to be patient wink. Ebay earns small, but relatively steady.

As for other 2.0 sites...

Epinions (shockingly) up about 30%
    Helium remains steady (I've been writing there for four years, did not see a significant difference with Panda)
    AC dropped by about 40%

And for my own sites, traffic up about 20% but the earnings are right about the same. Working on implementing a new monetization strategy now.

15. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 12 years ago

HUGE DRASTIC SADDENING drop in income!

I have seen an increase for my blogs though...

16. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 12 years ago

I sure hope HubPages recovers.  I really enjoy writing hubs, but also hope to make a bit of income.  Just have to wait it out I guess.

17. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

I use my Google AdSense account for HubPages and also for my own business site. I've noticed less income from HubPages after the Panda changes. But the traffic and income from my own site has not changed. I can understand why. I have a site dedicated to one thing and every page on it relates to that same subject. Whereas HubPages (or any content farm) has many unrelated subjects, some well written and some offering nothing of value. The latter effects all of us. Even though HP staff is hard at work to fix that problem, I still see spam hubs and spam comments in Hubs as they keep coming. It's up to all of us to help fight this by flagging these when we see them.

18. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I am going to jus sit tight n leave my Hubs where they be. I been busy offline but still getting views smile but we should also keep in mind - Panda won't be the 1st algorithm change that will occur - next one may zoom us back up big_smile patience is all I can say for now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)