Does anyone use squidoo?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (60 posts)
  1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

Curious if it is worth your time, I ran across info on it and didn't know if we could benefit from it.

1. spirituality profile image58
      spiritualityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm on squidoo, in fact I'm more active on there than here. For me it's my main 'article' site.

For SEO (google traffic) reasons you should definitely avoid limiting yourself to just one site. Build squidoo lenses to promote your hubs & link from hubs to your squidoo lenses.

Squidoo is less restrictive on links than hubpages. On squidoo a new lensmaster (aka hubber) is limited to 9 links to one domain per lens.

They're a bit less paranoid about links in general. It's quite alright to link to a lens of yours on the squidoo forum for instance. Which makes sense. I mean, I made a hub on SEO (search engine optimization) and can't post it here because my whole response is likely to be deleted. Weird since it's quite on topic to this thread and your question.

Like on hubpages, on squidoo too it's a good idea to not just make pages, but also get into the community a bit. Things of course work slightly different, so you'll get into a learning curve again.

For me, as an international publisher, it's a definite plus that Squidoo takes signing up with Amazon and Ebay out of my hands. They take the money and split it in half and pay out through paypal. Since Amazon refuses to pay out to my Dutch bank account, I've got over $100,- waiting for me to find someone to help me reach it. Totally lame on Amazon's side. Squidoo helps me get around that and still sell stuff.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could this be a solution on Hub Pages for all those of us who have been rejected from eBay? 

Hub Pages could take 100% of the eBay commission in the first instance, and then split any proceeds 50/50 with the hubber in question. 

I've got some hubs that are crying out for an eBay capsule and would really welcome the chance to make money off eBay on here.

1. relache profile image71
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It won't be, because HubPages has made it clear they don't want to have to handle the administrative side of such an arrangement.  That's why they made this site so that users have to independently join the affiliate programs.

1. WryLilt profile image87
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"One idea that we've been kicking around for a while is paying authors directly.  Doing so would mean us collecting a big pile of money from ad networks that aren't normally available to small publishers, dividing that money up based on traffic, and then paying it out periodically." - Paul Deeds

Read full post here:
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/48463

That's a major shift in their policies, potentially, after four years of saying they wouldn't do it.

1. WryLilt profile image87
                WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was surprised when I saw it after seeing people say it would never happen here.

Kind of scary - I hope there's some kind of minimum hubscore or time on hubpages to qualify...

1. profile image0

Yes, how is Hub Pages going to administer the payments?  If the money is collected in a central pool first, how is it going to be divvied up afterwards?  Is each hubber's revenue going to be a reflection of the number of clicks/purchases they personally get, or are other criteria going to be used, such as author/hubscore, number of hubs or traffic?

2. Pcunix profile image90
                  Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you need to worry about hubscore for this.  I'm sure it will be divvied up fairly and appropriately. 

Remember though:  it looks like it will be targeting specific categories.   If you aren't writing in those categories, this wouldn't apply.

2. thisisoli profile image71
          thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem with that is that you are of course paying taxes at a corporate rate on your earnings.

1. profile image0

:scratches head:  Ah, I see what you mean now - Hub Pages would have to pay tax on its earnings at a suitably high rate, a rate which would therefore effectively be passed on to users.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree it's lame of Amazon to have such primitive payout methods - but they will send you a cheque, you know.  It will be in US dollars, and your bank will charge you to bank it - but the charge isn't nearly as much as it used to be.

I've set my Amazon payout threshold to $200, and I'll be charged about $10 to put it in the bank.

2. profile image0
      TanielHoustonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nope but i may  join in the near future.

3. Poetic Elements profile image59
      Poetic Elementsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  Someone does use Squidoo.  I don't really but my website boss has.

2. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 13 years ago

I have quite a few Lenses on Squidoo but took a rest to work on Hubpages - nine months later (and 250+ hubs) I have only written one Lens! I'll probably go back once I feel more creative - Squidoo allows you to be a lot more creative and produce some very attractive pages - but I'm still learning how to use SEO properly and until I do that I won't be that successful on Squidoo - Hubpages for me seems to do a lot of the SEO work for me!

1. snagerries profile image68
      snagerriesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even I have tried squidoo but its quite difficult to promote lens as per my experience..

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
        Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I put just one lens on Squidoo to try it out. I haven't figured out how to even get it to show up in their search. They only list 100 in the search and half of them have nothing to do with the topic you are searching at all and mine didn't show up.

1. profile image0

Ditto!  HubPages' internal search isn't exactly perfect but Squidoo's is total pants LOL.

3. PaulaHenry1 profile image65

Thank you. I just went it on shortly and I am overwhelmed already. Think I'll stick w/ Hub as I am becoming familiar w/ it now! I am feeling overwhelmed by trying to get my Hubs out there, I don't know if doing Bing or Squidoo or tweeter is really worht it? I'm not all that computer smart so it's all too much.

4. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I've been on Squidoo for many years and its been up and down. Things started out slow, but at one point I was making over $100 a month in their shared revenue system. With about the same traffic, I'm making about $20 a month. I have a lot more lenses than hubs, but right now it's looking like my hub traffic will surpass my lens traffic when I've got about 1/4th the number of hubs.

I still occasionally will write a new lens. It's always good to spread out your eggs in different baskets. There was a time a few years ago when Google loved everything from Squidoo. You could build a new lens at it would be top 5 for your desired keyword a couple days later. That stopped about 2 or 3 years ago, and Squidoo has struggled to regain a good reputation with Google since then. Hubpages does far better right now, from what I've seen. Squidoo has been purging A LOT of spam of late, so who knows what the future holds.

5. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I've got multiple accounts on Squidoo, and earn a pretty decent monthly amount from those, but overall, I make more per Hub here and this is where my new content efforts are directed.

1. snagerries profile image68
      snagerriesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it allowed in Squidoo to make multiple accounts in Squidoo???

Obviously, or I wouldn't have done it.

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here.

I've found that with all the new workshop changes at Squidoo that it's a slow process to build a lens. Have you found that? It takes a while to find the right modules, but even longer for each bit to load properly. Meanwhile assembling capsules for a hub is damn quick by comparison.

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
        lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like Squidoo a lot, but my biggest problem is the load time it takes for pages.  This is the worst in the workshop mode, and much less in the public page, but I have been cutting excess widges, etc, out of my Squidoo pages. 

Hubpages seems to be just more straightforward and simple which cuts down on these types of problems.  I also like being able to track my affiliate sales directly through the affiliate company here too.

But Squidoo is a good site, and there is lots of potential there if you are looking for another site to write on.  They also give a lot of money to charity. I just won $99 for a lens that also gave $99 to a charity.

1. Wendy Krick profile image64
          Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's Awesome! Congrats.

6. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I tried Squidoo, but didn't like it. In terms of earnings then it does work for some people, but I would be surprised if the ratio was any more than Hubpages.

7. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I'm not that keen on Squidoo either but I have got a few lenses, which I'm using to backlink to my hubs.

8. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I love Squidoo. I found them first and have over 200 lenses. I make good money with Squidoo but am really enjoying hubpages. They are both very different. I think hubpages is a little more user friendly. But I love them both.

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image77
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I also use that platform, been there a longer time, but seem to come back to Hubpages more often.

10. cocopreme profile image90
    cocopremeposted 13 years ago

I think HubPages and Squidoo each have something to offer.  I am more active here, because I think it is easier to make a hub than a lens.  But my Squidoo earnings have started to increase lately.

11. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I have an account with Squidoo but I don't use it. I love the layout and creativity here on HP. HP system is more easy to use and so much stuff here to track your stats. I just feel HP has more to offer in the long run. smile

12. PaulaHenry1 profile image65

Thanks everyone! May be when I get a little more experienced I will try it again.

13. Christene profile image59
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

I'm on Squidoo and love it there. smile
    It's really not hard once you get the hang of it.

14. profile image0
    MyMoneyTalksposted 13 years ago

I didn't find Squidoo Articles as easy to construct - Maybe I will return to my Squidoo account again in the future! I earn enough here at HP at the moment

15. profile image0
    WillGranderposted 13 years ago

I've wanted to try Squidoo, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Based on some of the comments here, it seems like it might be a good experiment to try.

16. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Tried it. Didn't like it. Earned LOADS more here than there with similar topics and articles. I hated that the earnings were split the way they were. Squidoo wasn't worth my time. I still have a few lenses over there, and get like $7 a month, but on my top paying month, I may have gotten like $75, which is no where near what I'm making here.

Guess I didn't get the hang of the cheesiness that is there. *shrugs*

1. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Best to use it for backlinks.....Squidoo is good like that!

1. viryabo profile image93
        viryaboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to know that.
        I have a few lenses and received my 1st payout(ten dollars) after 18months.
        Don't like it much there, but if they are good for backlinks, maybe i'll revisit.

1. waynet profile image69
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, so long as you keep your lenses updated with a few Rss feeds they will stay afloat the junk, although most of the spam lenses have been cleared, there will be others still hanging around....

2. Christene profile image59
      Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

On Squidoo my lowest month this year was $313.08.

I wish I had more hubs so I can do an even comparison between the two sites for myself. With 171 lenses and only 14 hubs I can't yet.

1. Wendy Krick profile image64
        Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

$318. That's Awesome Christine. smile I can't really compare yet either. I am making just under $100 with Squidoo.

But 2 months ago I started doing more direct linking my Amazon Affiliate link at Squidoo. I went back and updated a bunch of my lenses and started writing more at Hub-pages as well. Linking my Squidoo pages and Hubpages together. My Amazon sales have increased by 75%! I have sold over 80 items on Amazon this month. I can hardly believe it.

It is nice to get 6.5% rather than split the 8% with Squidoo. (I still use the Squidoo Amazon Models as well I just look at is a a bonus.)

So my strategy is to do both. Hubpages is much quicker and easier though.

Now, I just need to get my adsense up....

17. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I started an account a long time ago and put (I think) one thing on there.  I found it a little more of a "big deal" to write there, and (this sounds strange, I know) I ran into too much of the color, orange (red/orange) whatever it is.  I tend to stay away from all orange.   lol  It wasn't just the orange, though.  The whole site is just kind big-letters-and-bold - which "mentally distrubs" me.   lol

18. thefluffanutta profile image59
    thefluffanuttaposted 13 years ago

I'm a long time fan of Squidoo, and built some tools for it. I think it's a great platform for anyone want to learn affiliate marketing for the first time, without having to sign up with any networks. Friendly community too.

I'm also a long time member of HubPages, though I've only built a few lenses. While I find that the Lens format suits my writing style better, I'm learning to adapt it for Hubs too.

What I do love about HubPages is the referral system: I get around $100 each month, almost all of it from people I referred here. smile

19. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

big_smile

20. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I think it is pointless to speculate how it's going to work right now, since it seems that even teh Hubpages team are only discussing the possibility of doing it right now.

21. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Pooled earnings have some benefits and some drawbacks. The pooled and divided earnings is one of the biggest complaints that Squidoo users have.  For instance if you don't use Squidoo, you may not be aware that they have a tier system for paying out ad monies.

On Squidoo no matter how much work you do, no matter how much traffic you get, the top tier (roughly lenses 1-2000) only pays out around $12-$14 per lens.  The next tier down (lenses 2001-10000) pays around a dollar.  The next tier down (goes to about 80,000) pays very small change, and after that, lenses don't get any advertising money.

Here on HubPages, I've had Hubs earn several hundred dollars in a month.  And those Hubs that just earn a little bit are still contributing to my overall whole, not just my top 10%.

1. Christene profile image59

The last payments, with all ads turned on, were:
      $27.68 for Tier 1
      $4.70 for Tier 2
      $0.24 for Tier 3

Lenses below a lensrank of 85,000 can still earn a little from InfoLinks and Chitika Ads. Since some lenses are opted out, lower ranking lenses move up into their place.

And that is before any sales made from your lenses. (For anyone not familiar with Squidoo.)

1. profile image0

Can you elaborate a bit more on that last sentence?  For example, I've got a couple of lenses with eBay capsules not featuring my own eBay items.  Does any revenue from these get absorbed into the tier calculations, or is it treated separately somehow?

PS: I did try looking on Squidoo's own help section for an answer to this, but got precisely nowhere.

Any sales from Amazon or eBay modules do not get put in the ad pool. You are the only one who splits that revenue with Squidoo. Sales will show up right on your dashboard in the pending $$$ column.

1. profile image0

Brilliant - sounds as though it's worthwhile me putting up some more lenses with eBay capsules then.  What's the split between Squidoo and the individual member?

50/50
              Half the commission of every sale.

1. profile image0

OK, cheers!  I think I can see some potential here, always assuming I can work it so that people actually find my lenses LOL...

22. nicregi profile image64
    nicregiposted 13 years ago

Hi there.

I am a Squidoo too but i feel HubPages are better. For the looks, Squidoo is much better of course due to the fancy colour but HubPages is fine for me.

I seems to get more traffic here compared to Squidoo.

Maybe is just me but Squidoo is definitely not my second spot of writing. HubPages is great thou.

I Googled HubPages and Squidoo and basically, both has not much difference. To be frank smile

23. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

I first joined Squidoo but could not figure it out. Maybe I should now start using it for getting backlinks for hubs here.

24. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Thank You all for your input into this question on Squidoo. As new Hubber, all fo this threads are a learning experience for me an I most appreciative for you efforts. Again, To all THANKS!

25. ftclick profile image54
    ftclickposted 13 years ago

same as many here. I used it and have an acct but it does nothing for me. Although, I have seen some squidoo lenses rank well.

26. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

If your application is denied at ebay/amazon plus If you don't get acceptance from adsense at the beginning, in this case Squidoo can perform better than hubpages. All you need to make money is Paypal account and traffic to your lenses.

27. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 13 years ago

I use both Squidoo and Hubpages...I like them both.  Some things are better at Squidoo and other things are better here.  Diversification is very important when earning an income online, especially when writing on sites that you do not personally own.  Anything can happen.  That is why I will continue to write on both sites in addition to my blogs.

28. nicregi profile image64
    nicregiposted 13 years ago

I tried squidoo for some time and yes i still locked with HP.

I feel it is very hard to get my lens to traffic's eyes.

However, it still stuck me hard as the tier payment thingy from squidoo. Sigh

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)