Dog or Cat?

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (59 posts)
  1. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Which do you prefer - Dog or cat? Why?

1. yolanda yvette profile image59
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cat.  I don't really know why, but ever since I got my first cat around twenty years ago, I've just loved them.

Before then, I was more of a dog person.

I currently have a dog and a cat, but I prefer a cat to a dog.

2. Vcize profile image61
      Vcizeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dogs stink up the whole house, have to be walked, have to be taken out to go to the bathroom, etc.

3. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dog.

4. profile image0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dogs for sure. I have a boxer, I'm watching a friend's dog, and I have a cat. The cat is the first nice one we've ever actually had, though it still tears up furniture. The dogs are both trained, don't tear up furniture and don't make messes in the house. Unlike the cat, who carries her litter every where with her and has even slept in her litter box. They can't be trained as easily as dogs, though they are intelligent, I'll give them that. Dogs also have more of a companionship than cats. You can take dogs to do anything! Cats just lay around, eat, sleep, scratch things, and act up a lot of the times.

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

throughout my whole life, i've been a dog person.  however, since itchy died, i promised him that i would never own another dog again, after we had him put to sleep. i owned for 19 years, since i was 10, and now he's gone.  he was more than a pet to me. he was like a second little brother if anything.  that's why if i ever do own another pet, it'll probably be a cat.  i just can't bring myself to owning another dog again...

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Cats...they are easier to take care of, and my cat is very affectionate.

3. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

I do not have a preference and until recently had one of each. Now it is just me and my Lab X, Rusty.

4. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I love all animals...but for a pet I prefer a dog. My dog saved my life---not many cats are able to do that because of their size! But cats are loving creatures and I've had a few in my life!

But...a dog, to me, tends to give more unconditional love and willing to defend his family at all cost--even with his or her life!

Again...I love all animals and my favorite wild animal is the African Male Lion! I find them absolutely beautiful, brave, and strong willed!

5. About-The-Home profile image61
    About-The-Homeposted 13 years ago

Cats are great, give lots of affection (mine does), and are fairly "low maintenance", but you can't take them for walks over the hills.
    I don't have a dog so I guess out of loyalty, I better vote cat.

6. About-The-Home profile image61
    About-The-Homeposted 13 years ago

Wow Libby, I sense a great story there!

1. libby101a profile image59
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I may do a hub on it later. I've got too many other hubs in the working right now. LOL

7. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 13 years ago

I love dogs and cats and have both. The dogs are more outgoing and sociable, but the cats are very affectionate too if they are approached in the right way.

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

i love cats for 10 reasons...

9. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

Dogs, I often look after friends dogs. Work commitments mean we can't keep a dog but my children were desperate for a pet. We got two cats and I am still amazed at how much I love them. I have to say I love cats. They are so fascinating. They now come a very close second to dogs.

10. thegeekgirl profile image60
    thegeekgirlposted 13 years ago

I used to be a dog person--and still love them a lot--but now that I own my two cats, I'm firmly a cat person. The fact that they are so self sufficient is a big plus!

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dogs. They don't ignore me. smile

I'm a glutton for puppy love, dog love, and any kind of love!

11. hubzer profile image61
    hubzerposted 13 years ago

Prefer dogs ,dogs care and cats just don't give a flip.

12. Extinct Soul profile image59
    Extinct Soulposted 13 years ago

Cats were very interesting animal.
    But dogs unconditional love was the best. big_smile

13. Wendy Krick profile image65
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I'm a cat person!

14. Tammy L profile image67
    Tammy Lposted 13 years ago

I've been a cat person since I could walk (and that's been a really long time) but I have also loved a few dogs when I was a kid too.  Prefer cats though and always will.  Cats are more practical for working adults living in smaller apartments.

15. profile image0
    Whikatposted 13 years ago

After having both, I prefer dogs. A dog will always let you know if someone is in the yard or at the door. Cats do nothing to protect humans of danger, nor will they do anything if their owners are in trouble or being attacked.

Also cats never feel guilty for peeing where they should not have. smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually there are stories of cats that have attacked those trying to hurt their owners.

1. profile image0
        Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, Although I have never heard of any cat owner say that a cat saved them from being attacked. I have heard many cat owners complain that their cat had attacked them(scratched or bitten them) for no reason at all. Regardless, I would never put my money on a cat to protect anyone or anything but themselves.

P.S A cat will kill it's own kittens why would anyone believe that it would protect a human? http://www.messybeast.com/kill_kit.htm

16. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I like kitty kats! My spinkie is sweet and sleeps with her head on my chest at night. big_smile

I'd love to get a kitten as I like how they play around, but spinkie is a one cat type. hmm

17. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

I love all furry friends!  I grew up with dogs as my dad was not a "cat person."  I got my first cat when my kids were little, and we had both for a while.

Now that my current hubby and I are heading toward being senior citizens, we have 4 cats, as dogs are a bit too high-maintenance for our current physical abilities.

18. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 13 years ago

Oh I love them both dearly, but I prefer cats because they are more self sufficient.  Working long hours and traveling occasionally makes it difficult to have a pup, but if I had the time I would have both.  My two kitties don't mind if I'm gone a lot during the day as long as I'm home to snuggle most nights smile

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4214238_f248.jpg

1. CarpetDiem profile image72
      CarpetDiemposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great picture!
      Your orange cat looks a lot like our cat Pumpkin. smile
      Since we have a cat, I guess I'll have to vote for CATS!
      Dogs are cool too though, but not the clean-up part.

19. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I don't want any pets, but if I had to, I would live with a cat.  Dogs are too much like Republicans.

1. Jane Bovary profile image85
      Jane Bovaryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only the pit bulls...

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roflmao!

20. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

I hear cats taste just like chicken, so I must be a cat person..  Really, I just could never get over the smell of dogs.  There's nothing like the smell of wet mutt in the mornin'.

I wouldn't trade my cats for anything.. I mean, just look at that face..

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4215339_f248.jpg

21. wilsonallen01 profile image61
    wilsonallen01posted 13 years ago

I will prefer Dog...Dogs are best friends of man.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so are cats if you give them the chance.  Our 4 cats are lovers, and smart.

22. richtwf profile image61
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

I love both for different reasons but one thing I I don't like about cats is that sometimes some of them can seem to look at you with some disdain!

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*Some* of them?  big_smile I thought they all did that..

1. Tammy L profile image67
        Tammy Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL @ Urbane Chaos.  Yeah, mine seems to have mastered the "go to hell" look rather quickly.

23. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

I love both dogs and cats, but dogs are my favorite. I hate litter boxes.

24. matherese profile image59
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

I am dog lover

25. evvy_09 profile image61
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I use to love both but I adopted an evil cat that made me wary of cats forever.  Love dogs and have 3 of them. there is two of them, and you can juuust barely see the little one behind my husband's rott mix.  Only time I can get them to stay still for a picture is to be on the other side of the fence big_smile
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4241470_f248.jpg

The orange and white one is my baby.  My late aunt gave her to me after making the mistake of getting a female puppy when she already had a female grown rottweiler.

26. lovetherain profile image81
    lovetherainposted 13 years ago

dog, for protection and companionship. I do love cats to though. why not both?

27. lindajot profile image66
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

I so love them both!  Glad the cats are pretty independent, but love attention.  Glad the dogs are so devoted and silly.

28. guy1973 profile image56
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

I love dogs, they are lots of fun and great companion, you can take them for a swim, for a run and there's a connection, on the other hand i don't like cats, it seem no matter how much you feed them they are never happy and allow brushing against my leg.

29. Lupozee profile image60
    Lupozeeposted 13 years ago

I love my 3 cats smile so im defo a cat person although have had a jack russel in the past and it was a nightmare he was so active and just chewed everything.

30. lindacee profile image84
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

Dogs rule in my house! Always have, always will. Nothing specific against cats, just don't know much about them. Have never had one, so maybe I don't realize what I'm missing. smile

1. joyfuldesigns profile image70
      joyfuldesignsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tend to prefer cats, I like that they are both independent, yet like cuddle time too.  Sometimes dogs are just too clingy for me.

31. Don Ship profile image75
    Don Shipposted 13 years ago

Both! big_smile

32. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I like both, but I like dogs more. My cats think I'm their servant; my dogs think I'm a god. lol

I've always had lots of animals - I love them. I've never had a cat, however, try to save my life or warn me of danger. My dogs have.

33. Ninjah Kitten profile image61
    Ninjah Kittenposted 13 years ago

I don't really mind either one. But I prefer a cat over a dog

With my experience, dogs tend to bark at everything and be noisy. And you have to walk them and need more attention than a cat.

A cat on the other hand is more independent and can survive without you there for awhile. A cat is also quiet too unless you get one of those cats that like to meow lol.  Sure I have to remember to clean the litter box but its worth having a cute cuddly creature in the house.

34. Time4Travel profile image60
    Time4Travelposted 13 years ago

Both are cute and cuddly. But, I prefer dogs, because you can get a real workout playing with them. Plus, you can take a dog on a walk-- but not a cat.

35. naturegirl7 profile image84
    naturegirl7posted 13 years ago

I like both dogs and cats.  Both have their positives and negatives.

If I had to choose, I'd say cats because they are easier to care for.  Changing Kitty litter is the negative with cats.

I have 2 dogs and four cats.  All were rescued or adopted and each has their own personality.  I love all of them.

36. ravko profile image64
    ravkoposted 13 years ago

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, the cats were great company while we lived in the apartment (the kitty litter not so much), now that we live on property the cats go outside as do the dogs, but with the dogs we can play catch, go for walks, teach them new funny tricks, for example my male dog before he gets a treat has to say please, and if it's just a little woof I just say louder and he really barks louder...I'd say I prefer dogs hands down...

37. Purple Perl profile image50
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Both, but I have 2 dogs at present.

38. nybride710 profile image60
    nybride710posted 13 years ago

Cats.  I have two right now, and have usually had at least one around since childhood.  They suit my personality better.  They are independent, yet playful and affectionate.  They sit on your lap and purr and there is nothing greater than that.  Dogs are too hyper for me.  I can't take the barking, drooling, and butt-sniffing.

39. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Definitely a dog.

Dog-like cats are cool too.

40. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

Both dog and cats...we have special breeds of both, so it is hard to choose between one or the other?

1. profile image52
      traviskrainboltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best is dog, dog can guard our house and protect your self, The cat is only catch rat, I am looking for both Dog and Cat hybrid big_smile

41. Artisina profile image60
    Artisinaposted 13 years ago

I love both but prefer cats. One of mine, Tiger, woke us in the middle of the night because someone was trying to steal our car! My little one always knows when I need comfort and follows me around like a dog. I love all animals. Thanks for the question

42. all-about-orlando profile image61
    all-about-orlandoposted 13 years ago

I love both, but prefer Dogs.  I currently have two dogs Lady and Lucy, who look incredibly alike, but they both come from rescue centres in different parts of the country.  They are both very cute and a huge part of our famil.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)