Christmas has become a secular holiday...

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (112 posts)
  1. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Are you doing anything to make it more Christ centered?  I was thinking of taking out the Christmas tree, the stockings, Santa Claus, the Nutcracker figures.  Heck I didn't realize I had all this stuff.  Maybe I'll have a small tree and just put lights.  I have a Nativity set.  What are your suggestions?

1. profile image58
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been making it a point to say "MERRY CHRISTMAS". Try it, you'll notice that a lot of folks pause or say "Happy Holiday's" When they do, I just say, "It's ok, it's Christmas".

Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

CJ, do you say Merry Christmas to everyone?  If I know they're not Christians, I tend to say Happy Holidays.

1. profile image58

Yep, It's Christmas. I'ts up to them to afirm their own beliefs. If I say "Merry Christmas" and they say "Happy Hanukkah", I reply "Happy Hannaka too".

Good point too CJ.  I think I'll start with a Merry Christmas after all and go from there.

2. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

More Christian aggression.. no, just joshing smile

Yes, it is Xmas, but to many people, that has very little to do with religion any longer. Moreover, why would you say that to a Jew, a Muslim or a Wiccan?

In my opinion, it's a bit insensitive and demonstrates disinterest in others feelings.

On the other hand, if you wish me a Merry Xmas, I'll  wish you one right back.  However, I would never say that to anyone I did not know to be Christian or at least lapsed Christian.  That's because I'm an evil atheist, of course.

If you want to display your cultural bias by insisting upon being inappropriate, please do.  In some ways it helps the rest of us identify people who aren't worth bothering with in other areas.

1. profile image58

I don't have to afirm their faith for them. They must. What I find is that Most Jews and Muslims have NO problem doing this. Only the Christian.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You crack me up.smile

Atheist vs. atheist (or maybe agnostic (me))...

If the recipient is a blatant, freaking Muslim, maybe…

Otherwise, it is “Merry Christmas!” When I accidently have said that to Jews and they object, I just say, “You’ll get over it...”

1. Pcunix profile image90

How nice of you.

As I said, I don't care and will respond in kind, while keeping my opinion of your intelligence to myself in the spirit of the season.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
              paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. Marcus Teague profile image59
                Marcus Teagueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol. As I've said before on a similar discussion, the only offended parties are those people trying to be as neutral as possible and not offend anybody at all. Nobody else really cares all that much.

3. profile image58

The Merry Christmas litmus test eh? That's a good one. You can tell if a person has "worth" based on their attitude towards Christmas. Got it. Merry Christmas.

It doesn't count here.  You already know that I don't care if you say that to me.  It's when you don't know that your stock diminishes in my mind.

Merry Christmas to you, also.  Please note the spelling because I'd expect you could be offended if I spelled it as I usually do.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing offensive about Xmas. X is a long used abbreviation for Christ. Maybe people should start wishing those they know not to be Muslim a Happy Ramadan.

I do say Merry Christmas and I have never met anyone who was offended.

2. profile image58

You are a smart fella that enjoy arguing with and discussing issues. I read your hubs as well. However, you have no power to offend me. Nor does your opinion of me matter to me. Ours is a distant cyber relationship. What I get from you is the "Question". Does C.J. realy believe that?  For that I'm thankfull. You question alot and are certain of your beliefs. That's a good thing.

Well, I have seen people say that "Xmas" offends them and if you insist that the holiday is religious for you, I can see why they would.

No such greeting offends me. It's generally devoid of religious context, so there is no reason that it should. However, I would not want to risk offending someone, so I will usually remember to say "Happy Holidays" if I am unsure.

And yes, I think less of people who insist that they should force that greeting on everyone as a political statement.  It is small minded and wrong.

Lots of people who don't know the origins sometimes get offended.

1. kerryg profile image84
                    kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me!

4. profile image58

You see PC, I don't have to forsake my beliefs to acknowlege theirs. Me first. I'ts just my way. I don't have a lot of needs. I don't lust or covet. So I take care of me and then do the best I can for others in need, if asked. I'ts realy a simple way to live.

It's forsaking your beliefs to not push your religion on others at every opportunity??

What a truly wonderful religion!  I was not previously aware of that saying "Happy Holidays!" meant disavowing your personal beliefs.  My, what minefields you poor Christians have to negotiate!

1. profile image58

That is the same logic you use against "DADT". Ironic. You see, it's ok to be Homosexual, just don't say so. No that's not right. It's ok to be Christian, just don't say so. Yes that's right. Which is it? Using a normal holiday greeting such as "Merry Chrismas" is hardly forcing my religion on anyone.

It's insensitive.  It's that simple.

It's not "Merry Christmas" for Jews, Wiccans. Muslims and many others.

1. profile image58

So an Athiest decides what's offensive to ALL Muslims, Jews and Wiccans. Is that because if your an Athiest American, the Chirstian is your primary agitaitor? Christians are the real problem, arent they? Muslims and Jews are just mis-informed? They simply beilieve in something that doesn't exist? But Christians, Christians are evil, aren't they?
                  I'm not trying to be rude PC, but your animous towards Christians is obvious and well documented.

As I said - and must apparently repeat again - if you wish me a "Merry Xmas", I will wish you the same.

I prefer to avoid any possibility of offense.  I am not "deciding for" anyone.  That's what you are doing though - you are deciding that people MUST know that you celebrate Christmas.

No, most Christians are Christians in name only and may or may not be evil.  Those who really follow the advice purported to be from Jesus can't possibly be evil - deluded, of course, but often very nice people who I can admire.

Most "Christians" don't even come close, so all they have is their delusions and fantasies.  Those things are not going to engender any respect by themselves - quite the opposite, in fact.

5. lrohner profile image67
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...does that mean it's insensitive to wish a Happy New Year to a Chinese person on Jan. 1st? Or Happy Valentine's Day to a single person? Should I check someone's citizenship before wishing them a happy 4th of July or Thanksgiving? As long as something is done with the best intentions and no malice, what's the darn problem?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The point is that if someone wants to say 'happy holidays' just reply with whatever you want.  Don't assume they wanted to say merry Christmas and couldn't as was implied.  People should say what they want and respond how they want and have a nice time....

1. profile image58

"People should say what they want and respond how they want and have a nice time...."

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm implying.

6. Ken Crow profile image61
          Ken Crowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Merry Christmas to all and to all a wonderfully blessed night. I do pray each of your hearts is filled with the true miracle of the most blessed time of the year.

2. Anesidora profile image61
      Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Put a big Santa in your front yard and ditch the creche.

3. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I might try and get an inflatable bible and inflate it to worship as I place the presents underneath it.....Then I will transport a church in my living room and hire a vicar to make the Christmas Dinner.

Only joking I will put up my Christmas tree and do all the usual things, because religion is just a sack of spanners!

4. Me, Steve Walters profile image80
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it is easy to get lost in the secular part of the holiday. One thing for sure...and it is cliche'...but for Christians we have to focus on the real reason for the season. Sometimes I get mad when I can't go all out on presents and fun for Christmas...like I use too when I was younger. Then I realize that all my Christmases have been good whether it was with or without money...or with more responsibilities and bills around this time of year...then those earlier days. Then I can pause and see that some of the best Christmases...have been the most humble and simple smile Merry Christmas, FK and all Hubbers...and May God Bless us...everyone. As it has been said...

Thanks Steve.  It's hard trying not to get lost in it and I've noticed it a lot more as I get older. But maybe that's normal.  Merry Christmas, Steve!

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Steve, Yes Jesus is the reason for the season. Merry Christmas! big_smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For some.  An ever decreasing minority.

Most of the ways people celebrate have absolutely nothing to do with Christ.  Maybe Christians should just stick to the holy days mentioned in the bible, and quit stealing the ones celebrated by other religions.

1. jacque_o profile image58
            jacque_oposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Ron for that reply, I have myself done an in-depth study on this topic.... I found I am with you! Let just stick to those that GOD or his Glorious Son instructed us CLEARLY to keep!!!! But due to satans influence over most churches & the world, they have NO clue about the "Holy Days" or "Feast" we are suppose to keep, but imagine that..... NOT being taught in MOST churches!! I suppose that is why in Revelation 12:9 say's, the WHOLE World will be deceived ..... even Gods very elect if they aren't careful!!!

To know the World is to be as the world, to know God is to know the truth and seperate oursselves from the World beliefs!!

2. Me, Steve Walters profile image80
          Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Merry Christmas to you!

5. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the Atheists don't have any good reason to celebrate a day of their own; yet they have an urge to celebrate one; hence they may resort to declare Christmas or any other religious day as a secular day.

So, if you don't believe in God you are no allowed to celebrate with your family?

1. profile image58

If I were an Athiest, I certainly wouldn't allow Christians to dictate my celebrations. By the same token I won't allow Athiest or peoples of other faiths dictate how I celebrate.

2. Anesidora profile image61
        Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Atheists have the best reason of all to celebrate, actually. And it's not like christians didn't steal the 'holiday' first.

My opinion is that if their whole version of December 25th wasn't based on a bunch of lies then it would have been impossible for us to 'corrupt' 'their' 'holiday'.

But then, why I'm talking to you about Christmas is beyond me.

Happy Ramadan. smile

1. profile image52

Do you mean that the it were the Pauline Christians who first steal it from the Heathens or from Druids or Pagans or who are called Hellenistics? I know that Jesus was a Jew and not a Christian; he never celebrated Christmas or instructed anyone to celebrate it.

1. aka-dj profile image64
            aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1st half WRONG!

2nd part, RIGHT!

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

6. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well given that christmas is pagan in origin anyway...what do you expect?

7. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had to look up what secular meant and I tend to agree now that I think I understand what it means?

Celebrating Jesus birth is like a birthday celebration except the cool part is the birthday boy doesn't get the presents, everyone does! The other cool part is, a lot more people other than the immediate family of the birthday boy all partake in the celebration!

Why I am not sure, each have their own reasons.

Whether it is religious or not it is always an ideal opportunity to participate in the joy of giving, sharing, and loving those who are most dearest to you. If you cannot afford to give gifts often the presence of you and your love is far more priceless than any gift you can purchase.

Well.... that of course is my opinion!

Merry Christmas!

8. Woman Of Courage profile image60

flightkeeper, I usually put up the Christmas tree and some lights around the fireplace. Going to the extreme trying to buy gifts for everyone is not important. Christmas is all about Jesus. Merry chrismas! big_smile

9. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe rent an old movie like the Gift of the Magi, (there are several versions like Gift of Love, etc.)
      It's about a couple who actually sacrifice something precious to them in order to give a gift to each other.
      Or one of the older movies that are actually about the birth of Christ.
      Even Miracle on 34th Street or Scrooge or the Little House on the Prairie films that are about Christmas are movies that tug at the heart, bringing us to think of the true spirit of Christmas....

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Brenda, Great idea, I usually watch a good  Christmas movie with true meaning concerning the birth of Christ.

10. christ4ever profile image66
      christ4everposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree...
      If we take out all of the secular trappings in Christmas and the observance of rituals that are reminiscent of various pagan rites, then we can actually reflect on the true meaning of the Christmas Spirit (the Holy Spirit), which is in cheerful giving without need of a reward, caring for others without need of an incentive, and the greatest gift of all (from our Father God), the gift of salvation through the sacrifice of His son in CHrist Jesus.
      See recent article at:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Tis-the-Season-to-be
      Rev.Ted

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

For some it is, for other's it is not. Do whatever you want.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I always say, “Merry Christmas!” If the recipient has a problem with that… smile

And I’m not a religionist. I just like any holiday that celebrates goodwill and kindness.

You have a good point paradigm.  Saying Merry Christmas is not a bad thing.  If they say they're not Christians, I can always say Happy Holidays.

4. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

I just said Merry Christmas to a Jewish lady the other day, she smiled and wished me a Happy Hanuka.

Its weird that nobody was offended....

That's beautiful Jim.  Too many people take offense so easily nowadays that I tend to be careful but perhaps it's just my own perception.

2. profile image52

What is a Hanuka? Please

1. profile image58

Its Hanukkah for the spelling challenged like myself.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

No one is stopping you from having the Christmas you wish. People choose to be offended or not.

1. profile image58

Tada!!!!

Then why do many get offended when wished Happy Holidays?

1. profile image58

Don't know for sure, but maybe it's because political correctness has reached the point of cramping everyone's style?

6. Marcus Teague profile image59
    Marcus Teagueposted 13 years ago

Oh yes, almost forgot.

While Christmas has some Christian roots, it's in essence a world-wide recognized holiday. Following Christmas as an American tradition is ok, it's not demonizing it. We don't do away with any of it because it isn't Christ-centered despite being Christians. We don't lie to the children telling them Santa Claus is real, but apart from that we do about everything else.

Our job isn't to abstain from other traditions (be IN the world, not of the world, but we are commanded to be in it, not avoid it). For example, you don't not celebrate Fourth of July because you're a Christian; you celebrate it because you are American. We partake in some Hanukkah traditions to celebrate our Jewish ancestry.

My suggestion is not be wasteful with your decorations (some of which may be gifts, I don't know) and hang them up. Apparently, despite them all, you haven't forgotten, so they're not doing you as much harm in forgetting.

Think of it this way. Remember that St. Nicolas ("Santa Claus") was showing Christ's love to others by providing gifts to others, and simply be reminded to follow the example. Take a day or a few minutes out of the celebration to sit down and focus on it. The rest is extra, reminders that God provides for you and blessed you with these things (decorations). If you have too many, donate them.

1. Freeway Flyer profile image83
      Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Over time, holidays take on a life of their own. And just as Christianity co-opted certain pagan traditions - trees, the date of the holiday - and gave them a Christian meaning, modern, more secular traditions have replaced the Christian elements for many Americans. Since materialism is more of a religion for Americans than Christianity, it should not be surprising that Santa has become more of a symbol for the holiday than Jesus.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67

Good suggestions Marcus.  I like your perspective.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Well…, I guess this is as good a time as any…: smile

Merry Christmas Everyone! smile

And I wish the best for all of us this coming year. smile

8. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

People who think there is some "war" on Christmas are delusional. We live in a multi-cultural world. If you want to say "merry Christmas," by all means, but if other people prefer "happy holidays," there is nothing wrong with that... those people are not trying to destroy Christmas!

9. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Christmas is very low key in Greece (although the commercial crap is working its way in), but there are a few greetings that we say. Nobody here gets offended by a few friendly words - I'm with paradigmsearch on that one smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May the Good Lord Bless you and teach you the error of your ways. Hopefully you will one day come to understand the True Meaning of WalMart.big_smile

So incredibly funny that the winter solstice celebration has become secular. lol lol

1. profile image58

LMAO....I knew you'd show up! I'm getting you a cape! You are Athiest Man!

Hmmmmmmm A cape. smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

After many years working in retail, I now have an intense dislike of Christmas commercialism. If I hear that Paul Bloody McCartney Christmas song again, I am going to go into a killing frenzy.*

Now I must go and buy some cheap plastic Chinese crap, some wrapping paper, and some flimsy, tacky Xmas cards. I wouldn't want to let Baby Jesus down by not buying presents for people I dislike smile

*Cue Mark Knowles digging up a YouTube link.

Why do you do it?  We stopped all that gift giving nonsense in 2004.  The season is so relaxing now..

1. Sufidreamer profile image80

We don't do it (HP really could do with a sarcasm smiley!) - I gave up sending presents and cards a long time ago, although my missus sends a card to her son.

However, we do go to the odd party and imbibe copious amounts of alcohol smile

There is little that beats a truly odd party, whatever the season.  We sure have been to some very odd ones now and then.

This time of year is particularly good for drunken parties - most villages have an olive oil festival at this time of year, which involves lots of food, drink, and dance.

@Baileybear - I used to have a happy-clappy teacher who believed that using Xmas crossed out Christ. Not the brightest person I ever met - the lights were on but nobody was home, if you get my drift smile

The Greeks sure know how to celebrate smile)

2. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I gave up sending cards years ago.  We get some presents for our boy.  I've bought a turkey, because we never eat it otherwise - I live outside the US; we don't have thanksgiving (I don't even know what the thanksgiving holiday is for)

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
                Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Giving thanks? Remembering our blessings? Helping others? Another reason to get together? None of the above...

3. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Your celebrations all seem pretty much the same. smile

Any arbor day plans?

I have no idea what that is, but if it is an excuse for drunken revelry, count me in! smile

1. habee profile image93
                  habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, but you have to plant a tree in your drunken stupor, Sufi!!

We don't have room for any more trees - I hope that doesn't stop me from getting drunk smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

It's pretty much a day to plant a tree, but I'm sure the Christians will co-opt it to become a day for placing a large cross on your front lawn and re-name it "our lord day".

Participation of course is mandatory, non-believers will perish in fires fueled by their own arbor day trees.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

After several years working for Dixons, all I can say is, "god bless you Merry Gentlemen." sad

That is a hateful song, too - reminds me of too many school services where they forced us to sing crappy carols.

I used to work next door to a branch of Dixons - what a soul-destroying company they are sad

3. aka-dj profile image64

RE buying crappy pressies (an Australian colloquialism) for people you don't like.

WHY do it?

It's hypocritical.

Just tell 'em. I'm not buying stuff just to prop up the economy, and be done with it. Then let them deal with their expectations of you, their own way.

Hi DJ

Hope that you and the family are keeping well smile

As I mentioned a couple of comments later - I don't bother with it.

We really need a sarcasm smiley  big_smile

1. aka-dj profile image64

Hey suf. Sorry, by the time I read it, my post was fixed.

I became a grandad since we last spoke. And LOVING it!
              Thanks for asking. Hope you and yours are well.

Keep safe through the Season. smile

10. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

I guess all the ones gettin' all worked up about saying "Christ" in Christmas...will be happy to stick to their guns and principles...and show up for work on a scheduled "Christ' mas  holiday...otherwise they would be celebrating a "Christ" mas holiday! All I'm saying...

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Like many families, we have the traditional orgy of gifts, food, spiked eggnog, tacky decorations, etc. Christmas Eve, however, we always read the story of Jesus's birth from the Bible - Luke is my favorite. We also try to stress to the grandkids the joy in helping others, especially at this time of year. On the morning of December 24, we get the grands all dressed up in their holiday duds and take them to visit a local nursing home. Sometimes we give them money to shop for needy kids, too.

1. Freeway Flyer profile image83
      Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good. It's the principles behind the stories that matter anyway.

12. Petra Vlah profile image59
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Christmas has become a business and the "celebration" of it is used to increase sales, so just tell each other "Wish you a great find at a bargan price, my dear"

13. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Christmas derived from 'Christ'and 'Mass' which essentially is the gathering of people who follow Christ.

Other Religions have their own customs, including Wicca's.

What began as an ancient and humble tradition has carried over into what we know today, some Churches  prefering to hold onto the trappings of Religious fervour to, modern born again Christians, community serving fellowships, and then of course theres-

"Hi Welcome to Walmart" and the commercialism that affluent nations are so well known for..

14. damian0000 profile image60
    damian0000posted 13 years ago

I think it is sad that Christmas has become so commercial --- it is almost a competitive thing now to see who can put up the best decorations or give the most expensive presents

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couldnt agree more.

This Christmas we have a recyled tree, and pretty decorations noone wanted any more-looks just as pretty.
      People  must not re-use much anymore or the stores wouldnt be still selling them( I think)

15. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

well its good that it has become more secular than just one religion centric...

16. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Merry Christmas to everyone. smile

Have a Happy Winter Solstice - the actual reason for celebration. May your days become longer with its passing.

Who knows - the sun may even start rising to the heavens after 3 days or so. lol

There was no solstice before Christ.  Read your Bible.

Sorry - forgot. sad

2. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
      Dee aka Nonnaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a great question, Flightkeeper, and an important one.  Someone just recently on one of the socialnetworking sites posted a comment to the effect of---let's do away with Xmas and put Christ back in Christmas.  I personally choose to use a variety of decorations--some secular. some religious, some homemade (by the kids and adults).  Anyone who comes into my home will be comfortable.  If they don't it won't be because I haven't tried.  I have a small nativity scene in ever room---why?  Because it make me happy and reminds me of my childhood.  And beside, we should demonstrate the spirit of Christmas all year long.  Have a joyful, blessed and inspired season.

17. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

A feisty Festivus for all!

lol

Let's move on to the feats of strength...

18. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

Just call it chrismiss and we can all go home. smile

19. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

Christmas is based on a lie, mingled with pagan ceremonies, tree worship and so much unscriptural religiosity.

I do not see any indication that God ever told any OT or NT person to celebrate birthdays. There is not one instance of a birthday celebration. Jesus never told us to celebrate his birthday. We are told to stay away from the traditions of man.

I think as truth seekers we should discover when the date of Jesus birthday truly is and celebrate that, without a tree, tinsel or santa. Sept 11 is a good day for me, i can agree on that date. If it is not exactly correct it is a much more sincere attempt to celebrate Jesus birthday than what constantine says we should.

What fellowship has light with darkness. Christmas is a very dark time of year and needs to be avoided and definitely not to be mingled with.

Once the church rethinks and redesigns some of these old standing misconceptions the church will grow stronger. I believe its participation in false doctrines and false celebrations has created a weaker church than what Christ originally wanted.

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have not seen this bible sinse.
        Do not remember which version it was,  (Not KJV) but I picked up my wife's' grandmothers bible. Published in 1874 , I do remember that much.

But in it when Jesus was speaking about being killed soon, one of the disciples ask him when his birthday was so they could celebrate it after he was gone.
        Jesus told them; do not celebrate when I came into this world, but if they had to celebrate anything, celebrate when he left it.
        It is my understanding that it wasn't until the turn of the twentieth century that the KJV became the most popular version.

And then ..  It began to be translated into many other popular reader friendly versions around the 1950s.
         Now what we have are Many Translations of but one translation???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)