Are you still cooking with vegetable oil?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (139 posts)
  1. Versatile Health profile image60
    Versatile Healthposted 12 years ago

Just want to get a quick tally of how many people on this forum are using vegetable oil to cook with still. I have been doing a lot of research lately about the dangers associated with cooking with these oils and want to see what others opinions are on it...Let me know!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. A vegetable oil is any liquid oil from a plant. I don't know of any danger that applies to everything from olive to peanut oil that doesnt apply to pretty much any food

Versatile Healthposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, the one thing I found that is when these oils are exposed to high heat, they become extremely toxic and/or rancid. This can lead to inflammation of body tissues and cardiovascular problems. Also, the other thing is that all veggie oils are HIGH in Omega 6 fats, this is causing those who use them to become extremely imbalanced within their O3:O6 ratio. I have found that the best oil to use is coconut oil: it remains stable at high temperatures and doesn't turn toxic/rancid. Even olive oil becomes toxic when exposed to high heat...not good for the body. Olive oil is really healthy but only in its raw and uncooked form.

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image73
          R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only thing I really use oil for is french fries in my deep frier.. I dont cook that much. Are you suggesting that I use cocnut oil instead of vegatable oil? (I think i use vegatble oil- it comes in a bottle)

It most likely is vegetable oil you're using. You can use coconut oil for almost anything! It pretty awesome. It has SO many health-promoting qualities. Try it with your fries and lets us know how it works out for ya. We actually recommend NO veggie oils but if you're not using them that often...you should be fine. The key is balance, as is with everything. For the record, Americans in particular have around a 14:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fats in their diet. The best ratio is 1:1. This imbalance is mainly because of the oils we eat and use to cook with... no wonder why heart disease rates are so high these days!

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image73

I will try coconut oil and get back to you.

sounds good man!

keep me posted!

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um, sources?

Because that doesn't exactly sound like a study in the Lancet and received mainstream information to me....

3. theseattlegirl profile image78
          theseattlegirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Coconut oil is great! It's saturated, so less is more, but a TBS or so a day is great for your health. Provided you aren't exceeding all your recommended daily intake of calories, of course.

Round this house, we dropped the vegetable oil in favor of grapeseed, high-quality olive oil (to eat uncooked), and plenty of coconut oil.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I cook with canola oil. It's among the heathiest of cooking oil.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Thanks for sharing the information Versatile. It's hard to say which is true. Webmd.com and other popular sites states that canola and peanut oil is healthy. I have heard that coconut oil is healthy also.

No prob! Thats why we're here! If you have any questions, feel free to shoot us a message anytime!

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Have you ever tried peanut oil? I don't use canola oil often. I bake and grill more to stay away from greasy foods.

1. nell79 profile image79
              nell79posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The reading I've done says that while Peanut oil is higher in saturated fat and has the allergy potential, it can be a good choice for cooking. It has a higher smoking point (450 degrees, compared to 400 degrees for canola). The smoking point is where the risk for cancer comes in.

Interesting, I have never cooked with peanut oil. I love canola because it's low in saturated fat. Too much saturated fat daily is not healthy at all.

3. Trish_M profile image81
        Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have been reading some really negative things about Canola oil. I'll find them and post later.

I am definitely looking forward to it Trish. Thanks for the comment!

3. danielleantosz profile image75
      danielleantoszposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use canola oil and olive oil, try to stay away from vegetable oil

4. Thera Tilmon profile image60
      Thera Tilmonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have gotten away from all oils. I cook with vegetable broth or water on non-stick pans in replace of oil.

5. days leaper profile image59
      days leaperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I use a cooker to cook with.  And empty the contents from the tin into a pan, and put the pan on the stove.
      Am I doing something wrong?

6. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually I use olive or canola oil to cook with.  Sometimes peanut oil.

7. vox vocis profile image83
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always cook with olive oil, but don't use it for frying or baking. Someone in the posts wrote that you should never cook with olive oil, yet, I can't immagine making sauces without it.

8. sanathara profile image61
      sanatharaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use ground nut or sunflower oil...

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I use olive oil a lot, because it used to said that it was good for the heart.  Don't tell me that has all changed now.  I can't keep up with the changing information about food.  I have also spent years not using salt, but the latest information is that putting salt on food is good for you.

Olive oil is good for you but not to cook with. If you want to lightly saute your foods with it you should be fine but no frying and/or heavy cooking. Olive oil turns rancid at high temperatures which can mess up your body big time! And the salt issue is true, it has been casted in a bad light...salt is good for the body if kept within healthy amounts. Try Celtic sea salt...this stuff is really good! But don't be afraid of olive oil, just don't use it to cook with: drizzle it on a salad, foods, etc...stuff like that.

I found some info that you guys may like: it can shed some light on this issue. A quick peek into omega 3 and omega 6 fats...good stuff.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar … 2202002536

2. R.S. Hutchinson profile image73

Seriously??? I gave up salt years ago.. I never eat salt (except at restraunts where they use it). It's hard to stay up with it all because your right it all changes all the time.

Severely decreasing salt intake is NOT GOOD! Doing this can allow people to develop some nasty issues: digestive problems mostly. For clarification, salt contains substances that are responsible for making hydrochloric acid. If a person allows their HCL levels to get too low, it can really affect HOW they digest their foods: not cool! We def need to keep our HCL levels in check. Put it this way, less salt can mean BAD DIGESTION! The only ones recommending for us to cut our intake is the government: when will they learn?

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Hello, Versatile Health

I use two oils almost daily - sunflower oil and olive oil. I use sunflower oil for cooking at higher temperatures and extra virgin olive oil in salads, or olive oil for cooking at lower temperatures.

As you rightly point out, olive oil used for cooking at higher temperatures is dangerous - it has the added drawback of making the food taste disgustingly of bitter, burned olives! smile

I should point out also that I do use full fat butter in cooking where it is required. Certain dishes simply are not the same prepared with vegetable oils. I think that provided it is used in moderation, this is perfectly acceptable. I never, however, use rendered pig fat (lard in the UK - I apologise for misremembering the US name).

I presume your study is in to LDL's, HDL's, the relationship between the hydrogen and carbon atoms and the extent of saturation, etc?

I look forward with interest to reading your findings.

PS - With regard to salt, I use sodium reduced salt. 66% (approx) of the harmful sodium is replaced wioth natural potassium.

Thanks for the comment Gordon! The stuff I came across connects body inflammation to veggie oils. I'm not too sure about sunflower oil: I will read further into it tho and let you know what I find. The saturation of carbon atoms however ARE (from my understanding) connected to more stable forms of fatty acid chains: coconut oil falls into this category. From my understanding, saturated fatty acids are more stable than those found within unsaturated chains.

2. profile image50
      annybizposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's true about the Olive Oil turning rancid at high temps.  I use Walnut Oil.  Much higher smoke temp  and it doesn't seem to have any flavor.  About Sunflower Oil, you can also use it for a body lotion instead of lotions full of parabens.  It is cheap, soaks in quickly so you don't feel oily at all.  I also mix Olive Oil with lotions for the skin.  If it worked for the Romans it should work for us!

4. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 12 years ago

We use very little of it now, preferring real butter sometimes and olive oil for certain things, but coconut oil mostly.  Hope you'll do a hub on this topic.

Very good choice to cook with RTalloni!!! We recommend if using butter to check out some RAW butter: pretty good stuff. I definitely will be doing an article on coconut oil soon, so keep your eyes open. Thanks for the comment!

5. Theresa_Kennedy profile image78
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years ago

You might be interested in watching the movie "Fathead" since it addresses some of the fallacies of vegetable oils. We watched it on Netflix a few months ago at our 15 y/o son's urging. Here's the synopsis:

"A comedian replies to the "Super Size Me" crowd by losing weight on a fast-food diet while demonstrating that almost everything you think you know about the obesity "epidemic" and healthy eating is wrong."

I'd love to see someone write a hub on it, and give me a nudge once it's published.

I have heard about this movie and have been meaning to watch it: thanks for reminding me ; ) Great idea for a hub!

6. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I use Vegetable oil..

Kmackey32: You may want to reconsider your veggie oil use, read this entire thread and maybe give us your input...

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I"m still cooking with olive oil, and would want to see some decent long term studies with proven outcomes before I am convinced to change my thinking. smile
    Apparently if we are to believe the experts there are only about two things we can eat! lol

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is true. One day something's good for you, the next day is bad. I also use Olive oil to coat the pan, but I don't deep fry anything... don't like greasy foods. smile

8. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Come to think of it, the two oldest men I knew worked up until the day they died. One at 92, the other at 98, both ate more fat in a day than most people would in a week, starting off with a huge breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, tomatoes, a sausage and one or two big chops.
    That was still a standard breakfast for one of them at 90 plus, cos he made breakfast for me one morning when in his 90's, and that is what he ate.

He would be planting, harvesting, hoeing all day, and died on the job while asleep at lunch time.
    Two thing they had in common was they were contented and worked hard every day.

9. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

I use olive oil and / or coconut oil.

My grandmother ate a lot of fat ~ from meat ~ and died just before her 100th birthday.

Perfect example!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

huh?
        100 yr old wow !!smile

I know, crazy!!!!!

10. odonnelb profile image60
    odonnelbposted 12 years ago

I use ONLY fresh cold-pressed flax oil that I press myself, though I ma not oposed to hemp, Olive, and coconut oils.  Anything else is junk.

Nice choice, I haven't tried flax yet, will do tho!

1. odonnelb profile image60
        odonnelbposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got a juicer that comes with an oil extractor attachment (Samson).  I use it to make fresh Flax oil.  I sell it in 16oz. blue GLASS bottles for LESS than the "big guys" sell in black PLASTIC bottle!  And I still make a good profit,

Wow! that's awesome! I have to look into getting one one of those...great idea.

11. profile image0
    .josh.posted 12 years ago

I try to cook predominantly with coconut oil, but do still use olive oil at times (though typically with items that don't require cooking at extremely high temperatures). I do find that lighter fish (e.g., tilapia) tastes much better when cooked with olive oil as well.

Any idea on olive oil cooking sprays? Are they also a 'no-no'?

Right on man! Good choice!

12. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I use oil and regardless of what this thread has to say, it wouldn't change a thing. It's use is quite limited to begin with.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guzzle it...lol

lol, I sure hope not!!!!!!!

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tried that for a few years, but had to switch to drinking Coke, because the oil was upsetting my stomach. tongue lol (j/k) wink

2. kmackey32 profile image64

Oh let me tell you Cags. It has a wide range of uses.... Number 1, Its an excellent lubricant...wink

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know even want to know what you would be lubricating. lol lol

LOL

13. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Olive oil for salads and dipping-- anything cold or raw.
    Grapeseed oil for saute-- It has a much higher smoking point temperature. If any oil is heated to the smoking point, it is probably not so good for you. I don't deep fry.

1. kmackey32 profile image64

deep fry.....YUMMY

2. Versatile Health profile image60

Well put Rochelle! Very true...

14. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

I quit using vegetable last year, moved to Olive, but recently learned that while its not all bad ,Coconut and Sesame have been getting better rap..

Going to try Walnut oil ,supposed to be on the 'good list' smile Omega 3 goodies too.

1. profile image0
      .josh.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been pretty interested in the nut oils as well (aside from peanut oil, which I already use for some Asian dishes).

Anyone tried walnut or macadamia oil? I'm currently in Australia, so you would think macadamia oil would be a good option.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have used walnut oil, but these are oils that have specific tastes. You can't use them with everything. The taste clings to the food.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Haven't tried Macadamia myself,but I do remember a friend whose parents made the stuff. She was selling it at work, only reason I didnt buy any, was it was a bit pricey. Anyway her parents were farming in Nelson ,New Zealand so Im sure Oz has some beaut oils too.

It's all about getting that Omega 6:Omega 3 balance. People today are WAYYYYY out of balance with their O6 simply because of the veggie oils they're using to cook with.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Kiwi, I have been using canola oil for several years now. I really don't think any cooking oil is completely healthy.

I am used to Canola actually ,but switched just to try out a few new ones ,new to me that is.
        To be honest ,as much as I value my health,I dont always buy everything I should ,just cant afford too ,but Ive made some really good changes over-all and lost a few pounds as a bonus smile

In New Zealand many of the fast food places have switched to Canola ( I guess as part of the health initiative) but its seems to have stayed, so good for them-

I understand exactly where you're coming from. Congratulations on the bonus of losing a few pounds. smile I think they're still using vegetable oil here in the U.S.A.

2. recommend1 profile image61
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

They have stayed with it because it is unfairly priced through trade restrictions on alternatives - the healthy tag is just marketing.

Yea I figured out the marketing bonus ,but it was also because of public pressure.

People simply would not buy from places who did'nt use Canola, or offered the alternative.

Soybean oil was another popular oil for families as it priced affordably.

15. profile image0

Makes sense, that's certainly the case with peanut oil.

I find coconut oil interesting though, has such a fragrant smell, but very little taste--it's really just like using butter (which is why it makes a fantastic substitute on toast).

I definitely agree, coconut butter is also an awesome choice!

16. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I am not sure what kind of trade name battle is going on here - but any oil or fat that is burned is not good as it has hydrocarbons that are recognised as carcinogenic. 

Arguing about which brand, or type, is best is a bit like adjusting the knot around your neck just as you kick the chair away.

Very true and well put recommend1. The key here is to avoid cooking with oil to begin with as much as one can. But if a person chooses to cook or fry with oil, it's all about choosing the most stable selection.

17. profile image51
    adrian tagliettiposted 12 years ago

We have started using Rapeseed Oil which is a healthy alternative and coming down in price as popularity increases.

Rapeseed oil is pretty much AKA for Canola and def has some hidden dangers associated with its use. Check out the article I have posted below, it's a good piece of information that can give you a little info about it...

http://www.dcnutrition.com/news/Detail. … Number=638

At the bottom of this article is where you will find the scientific references that back it up.

I use canola and olive oil. Both are used sparingly.

I read that article you posted the link for. It also stated that the dangers of canola are overrated. Nothing I read would change the way I do things. If, however, coconut oil is ever less expensive than what I use, I'd be willing to try it. Sorry, but nothing in the media is going to scare me into blowing the family budget. Especially when it's everchanging. Lots of claims of what these things can supposedly cause in a person and I've yet to see a study proving that it does in fact do those things.

Do your best to be healthy, sure. But don't stop using common sense. Moderation would probably be my best advice when talking of diets. smile

Interesting read and food for thought, though I have one small problem with it. I'm not a rat.

Anyway, I did look into coconut oil. It sounds good, though the price compared to other oils is very steep. Not a great thing in these tough economic times....

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
                Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Grapeseed oil is cheaper than olive oil-- at least here in California, where there are a lot of wineries and the grape seeds are a by product of wine making.
                I don't know if the study compared it to other oil-- but it does have a much higher smoke point than olive oil. It has virtually no taste, so I don't use it on a salad, put I will put it in a frying pan.
                It is also significantly higher than olive oil in omega 6, vitamin E and poly unsaturated fat.

There are so many oils out there! I love learning about the pros and cons of each one big_smile

Since you're not a rat nell79, here is a study on humans.

http://www.dldewey.com/columns/canstudy.htm

Okay, it still doesn't say anything that I didn't already know as far as canola goes, and therefore wouldn't make me stop using it. I just need to make sure I don't cook it at 240 degrees or higher, which I don't anyway.

Here's the bottom line from that article:
                  "CONCLUSIONS:

These studies, combined with experimental and epidemiologic findings, suggest that high-temperature wok cooking with unrefined Chinese rapeseed oil may increase lung cancer risk. This study indicates methods that may reduce that risk.

IMPLICATIONS:

The common use of wok cooking in China might be an important but controllable risk factor in the etiology of lung cancer. In the United States, where cooking oils are usually refined for purity, additional studies should be conducted to further quantify the potential risks of such methods of cooking."

This was not a study on the canola oil sold in the US, but on the unrefined rapeseed oil.

Take it as you will...Bottom line is that there is a LARGE amount of evidence against the use of canola oil...I sure wouldn't chance it! Take care and good luck in your health endeavors! Thanks for your involvement in this thread!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might want to check this-- but I believe rapeseed is the same as canola.

yup, you are 100% correct

18. profile image0

recommend1... we're not discussing brands of oil, we're discussing types of oil, which are distinctly different from one another. Some can withstand high cooking temperatures (e.g., coconut oil), while others are degraded and potentially become toxic at high temperatures (e.g., vegetable oils).

Eaglekiwi... they're big on their macadamia oil over here as well (macadamia's are originally from Australia--not Hawaii, as is often believed), though I think it's used more for salads than cooking. I haven't actually tried it yet, but will have to give it a shot before I head back home.

Cool ,let us know how ya like it etc.

My fav nuts are Cashews,oh wonder if they have an oil for that one too!...tongue

Hey write a Hub about it even wink

19. profile image0

Not a bad idea, eagle. I might just do that.

(And yes, there is cashew oil as well...)

20. GarunaLiu profile image59
    GarunaLiuposted 12 years ago

I am the one cooking with vegetable oil. I have more deeper to choose the cooking oil.

21. kmackey32 profile image64

I just deep fryed some Chicken Wings in Vegetable Oil...

22. Trish_M profile image81

I said that I would look up what I read about Canola oil (I hadn't actually heard of it ~ it's just called rapeseed oil here, I think).

This is what Jessica K Black says, in 'The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book':
    "Canola oil ... is poisonous to many living things. It is used as an insect repellent and was the source of the chemical warfare agent mustard gas .... studies of the effects of canola oil on lab animals show problems related to heart, adrenals, kidneys and thyroid."

(Apparently a Mr. Lynn suggested the mustard connection.)

However, on Dr Mercola's website, Dr Mary G. Enig writes:

".... mustard gas .. chemically has absolutely no relationship to mustard oil or any other mustard plant. Mustard gas ... received its name because of the yellowish color of the gas and the sulfur odor. Canola and regular rapeseed oils are extracted from the seeds of several of the brassica plants - the same family of plants from which we get vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, and several other vegetables."
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … a-oil.aspx

But, Dr Mercola writes:
    "Omega-6 fatty acids accelerate the growth of human prostate tumors. .... Omega-6 fatty acids are found in vegetable oils, including: Corn, Canola, Soybean, Sunflower"
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic … rowth.aspx

Canola is high in omega-3's too. Which is a good thing. Also, for more information and some backstory on the bad internet press canola has been getting along with some truths, go here:
      http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

23. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 12 years ago

It's important to get a good balance of Omega-6 and Omega-3. And actually, the recommended ratios, whichever expert you go by, does show a greater need for Omega-6 than Omega-3. The problem is that so many people who eat the fast foods and processed foods are getting more Omega-6 than they need, and not enough Omega-3. Does that make Canola oil the bad guy? No, especially since it's one of the few that also contains the beneficial Omega-3s and is lowest in saturated fats.

http://www.optimal-heart-health.com/omega_3.html

Bottom line? As I mentioned before. Moderation and healthy diet are key to staying healthy. So don't fry everything and fill up your diet with processed foods, eat some fish and nuts occasionally (assuming you're not allergic haha)--or take some fish oil supplements, and you should be fine (not withstanding other causes of death).

Oh yeah, and stay away from those high temperatures!

wink

nell, I try to include Omega -3 in my diet daily. Thanks for reminding about the high temperature. smile

24. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

If there were meat oil, I'd check it out...J/K.  Umm, there is so much cr*p out there it's awfully hard to know what to do.  Canola?  Grapeseed?  Olive?  Corn?  There are negatives everywhere.
    Not to be jaded or anything! wink

Exactly. smile

25. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 12 years ago

So I was looking online for prices on coconut oil and found a two pack of 54 ounce jars of organic coconut oil for about $35. Is that pretty comparable to what I'd find in the stores?

Wow! That's way over my budget.

Way over my budget too! lol I'm laughing, but I'm not kidding smile

26. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If olive oil is killing people it is a very incompetent assassin.  People who follow a traditional Italian diet full of olive oil have some of the longest lifespans on the planet.

27. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

I use canola oil and also Pam to make foods not stick. I only use olive oil for eating. Too msny warnings appear for too many foods. coffee, diet pop, french fries, salad greens, baby food, etc etc. I do believe in not eating high fructose corn syrup or anything with aspartame.

28. Versatile Health profile image60
    Versatile Healthposted 12 years ago

To address everybody on this thread: I really appreciate your involvement with this discussion...it has been quite fun ; ) I will leave you with this: We all have different views and opinions when it comes to health and wellness...as you can see, this thread has displayed many different views. At Versatile Health, we are all about exposing the UNEXPOSED and breaking away from mainstream living...there are too many sick people walking around today: something is wrong! We are BIG on researching and getting the facts to share with YOU...simply put. In the end, you must ask yourself: "Would you rather pay organic farmers or hospitals?" Truly, this is how EVERYBODY should look at health and wellness.

1. Mike Dale profile image61
      Mike Daleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does Versatile Health recommend a oil to cook with then? Preferably one that does not make my food taste like something it's not, and is a healthy alternative to vegetable and canola.

Coconut coconut coconut...All day long! I actually use a high quality selection that leaves NO coconut taste! It's pretty awesome!

1. Mike Dale profile image61
          Mike Daleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

29. profile image53
    Bernard15posted 12 years ago

No i leave vegetables oil for cooking and now i use simple cooking oil because some times we boiled beef and then we feel some smell in beef. If you have any good oil for cooking in your mind then tell me please.

30. odonnelb profile image60
    odonnelbposted 12 years ago

My top 3 are Flax, Hemp, and coconut. coconut has the obvious coconut flavor, but several health benefits.  Hemp has a woody flavor, but is high in Omega 3s and 6s. and Flax is somewhat nuetral in flavor, and high in omega 3s.  I press my own Flax oil here at home for freshness.

31. Trish_M profile image81

I use coconut oil now. It did have a bad press, at one time, but must be better than all of the artificial rubbish that is touted as healthy and wholesome. I think that organic butter is better for us than those.

32. profile image51
    adrian tagliettiposted 12 years ago

gonna gice Coconut oil a go me thinks..

33. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

I haven't used vegetable oil in years, I use peanut oil, which isn't the greatest, but I like the way it does. I purchased coconut oil and found myself using it more for skin care than anything else, the stuff is pretty amazing.

For the most part, I like to use as little oil as possible in cooking, just enough to keep the food from sticking.

Most vegetable oils are just soybean oil and with all the soy-health nonsense, many believe that it's actually healthy.

Perfectly said fit2day: right on the money.

34. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I haven't read through all the posts on this thread, but I saw on page 1 you said olive oil turned kinda toxic, or maybe it turned to omega 6 when heated.
    I know olive oil is rubbish for chips, (crisps to you across the Pond) because it can't really get hot enough to do the job.
    I have huge problems on the home front. My boyfriend is a psycho...thinking of the words...no, we'll stop there. He's a psycho.

He really believes olive oil is our saviour. There have been times in our 6 year history where we couldn't afford food, but he still bought olive oil, citing it as a necessity.

When I look out my window, all I see are olive groves, but that doesn't make it any cheaper!

He fries everything. Or deep fries it. He is so bad I have banned him from the kitchen because I am fed up with wiping the grease off the walls. Actually when he cooks, it's off the cooker, and the worktops, and the floors too.

He tells me this is healthy diet???
    Healthy my arse! I admit to using olive oil in cooking, but I seldom fry foods.

Tell me more about the toxic effects of overheated olive oil...

1. profile image0
      fit2dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Olive oil is a good oil to use in non-cooking purposes, you especially have to stop him from frying in olive oil. Food fried in olive oil is carcinogenic. It's about as healthy as a pack of cigarettes. Olive oil, however is great when not cooked, I use it on my sandwiches along with garlic as a mayo substitute.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is fascinating to know, thanks! I must feed him even more olive oil, fried of course big_smile

2. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oops fit2day, I didn't read you before responding.  We said the same thing! smile

35. kmackey32 profile image64

lol Thats funny you banned him.........

36. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 12 years ago

Olive Oil is great provided it's not heated.  Once it's heated the structure of it changes and unfortunately becomes toxic and changes the structure of our cells.

BUT Olive Oil is very very good not heated - ie in your salads.  The Mediterranean is known to be very good for you.  I am now using it with my porridge - just a little.  It's fine.

The best oils that will not change structure when cooking and is not toxic is Sunflower oil and Peanut oil.  Sesame oil is also good but more on the expensive side.

Don't give up your vegetable oil, just pick the right one for the right job.

A little oil in your diet is a good thing, moderation works especially if you're dieting.

37. jean2011 profile image61
    jean2011posted 12 years ago

I use vegetable oil every now and then, even though the healthy choice is olive oil.

38. talfonso profile image85
    talfonsoposted 12 years ago

Sometimes with cooking spray, sometimes with vegetable oil. But the latter I use considerably less.

39. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

as you already know, vegetable oil is "dangerous" for the most part. it is easy to research what heat index an oil can take before it "turns". most are around 375 degrees. the high heat oils are important if you health minded. cocunut is the best as we have heard a couple of times. we also use grapeseed oil over olive oil as you suggested, is best over salads.

canaola oil was originally called "Canada Oil". it is made from the rapeseed plant and originally used as engine oil and not food-grade. it is rumored the FDA was paid $30 million back in the day to bring this toxic "food" into the states. use at your own risk.  smile

we all need salt. morton table salt is not what i call salt. you are also informed that celtic salt is ideal, sea salt next. this will help you in many ways besides taste.

most are misinformed about fats. again, you are correct, the little old ladies who are using lard that is 50 years old, (who also use a iron skillet, a great source for iron over stainless steal or teflon)there are many monosaturated fats that are not only great for us, they help break down the fats we have. if you could do only one thing? stop ingesting HFCS products. high fructose corn syrup is GMO food that the body cannot break down and stores in brown fat to protect itself, and is making you fat. too much sugar, hard glycemic index, and likely to root of diabetes (type 2) for most these days. it is why your kids are fat too, not from video playing.

my last fast food meal was around 1996. my children are on a healthy diet and approaching the end of their teen years, have not been sick a day in their lives. good water also makes a difference. if you can find "live" water, stick with it!

1. talfonso profile image85
      talfonsoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing that it has been 15 years since your last fast food meal! I wonder what your kids' BMI was like - normal?

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
        DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, you can see a photo of them at 11 and 12 on my site, and yes, because we raised all our meats that are steroid and hormone free, no antibiotics, grass fed too, they went through puberty much later than all the other kids. they have never eaten at mcdonalds or  any of the other chains. they have been dairy free too. most do not know, dairy cannot be broken down in your stomach, but does in the colon. we are also gluten free too. my wife is the driving force behind the health thing, but i sat on the Board of the WNHO for some years and was exposed to amazing health info that is quite advanced. we do not eat any GMO foods as well. it forced a little creativity on our parts in the kitchen, you would be surpised how well we eat with a wide variety, only drawback? it costs quite a bit more to be organic and gluten free.

40. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

The thing is, that people spend their whole lives doing everything they can to be healthy, in order to gain a few extra months of life.  For years, the healthy people have not touched salt, now though recent research suggests that people who do so are at a higher risk of strokes, which is the complete opposite to what the "experts" had previously "proven."  We were all encouraged to cook with olive oil a few years ago, now we are informed that this is toxic. 

The point is though, that even if we only ate what was considered healthy, we will still become ill and die.  And the amount we may (and it is a big may) add to our lifespan is very small.  Wouldn't it be better to enjoy food and everything that life on this planet provides for those of us lucky enough to live in a part of the world where starvation isn't a possibility.

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image36
      DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

great points. with TV, genetics, and commerce was the start of these "do this" stuff which 20 years later we find was not true. in the end, we have choices of either quantity of life, quality of life, both. i personally do not worry about any of these things. they told me 35 years ago i would be dead from type 1 diabetes, (their mismanagement of it and lack of knowledge then supports their statements) and if not dead, amputated, on dialysis, having heart attacks and strokes, and of course, blind. just the opposite is true, i found a way to clean my arteries out, reverse some insulin resistance, and have lowered my insulin intake by 30% and still maintain the same diet/exercise and have healthy blood sugars. i am sure scientists or food specialists will soon come out with a super food of some sort we can all take to "balance" things out.
      i get your comments about all of us being fed. neither you are i are running the world, and still that may be best.
      i cook with olive oil still, i make sure i keep the heat under 300. i love the flavor as well.

1. jseven profile image76
        jsevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I go with the Weston Price foundation and stick with organic coconut, organic ghee, butter or palm oil.  Canola is one of the worst, that's why FDA and manufacturers use it so much, cheap and not good for us. Whatever FDA says, I do the opposite. Good stuff here, Versatile Health.

Awesome comment jseven! We are also HUGE fans of the Weston Price foundation. Glad to here that others are as well. Make sure to stay tuned and check out our website when you can...we have lots of great stuff to talk about.

1. jseven profile image76
            jsevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I will do and follow you. smile

41. kerlynb profile image87
    kerlynbposted 12 years ago

Nope. I use:

- coconut oil,
    - olive oil, or
    - canola oil

Coconut oil is the healthiest among the three. In fact, coconut is arguably the healthiest oil.  It also has no known side effects.

42. classicalgeek profile image79
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I use a huge variety of oils: coconut, tree nut, olive, grapeseed, avocado, etc. I also use only cast-iron or glass pans and baking dishes (no plastic anywhere in my house, except the electronics where I have little choice). I've even written several hubs about different kinds of oils and their uses.

Of course, I also eat a wide variety of foods, use a wide variety of flours, and a wide variety of spices (I have a system of storing the spices) and I try to include at least 1 non-standard oil, 1 non-wheat or -corn flour, and at least 5 different herbs or spices at each meal (not the same 5 at every meal, so at least 15 different per day). I firmly believe in eating seasonally and having a hugely varied diet to take advantage of micronutrients. I also eat a lot of nonstandard vegetables such as lovage and sorrel.

43. wilson51288 profile image58
    wilson51288posted 12 years ago

I make sure whatever kind of food i eat does not include saturated fat. Since saturated fat are bad for health i prefer going for boil food and salads. I have stopped intake of vegetable oil due to its unhealthy nature.

44. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

It works great in my car!!! Who needs diesel??

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)