Who here has tried writing a novel?

Jump to Last Post 51-99 of 99 discussions (208 posts)
  1. Steele Fields profile image69
    Steele Fieldsposted 12 years ago

Middle aged female.  One novel.  Five years.  Completely obsessed.  Seventeen books on how to write a novel.  Six months of background research.  351 pages. 96,000 words. Typing "The End," was a religious experience.  For six months afterwards, I felt like I had lost my best friend.  And that was the easy part. 

Seventy five submissions, query letters later and I only made it up to the "g's" in the Agent's Directory. Going on two years now, it's rotting away in my bottom desk drawer.   I figure it will sell once I kick the bucket.  At least maybe my kids will get paid.

1. Jason Marovich profile image89
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I bet it's good.  Find a way to get it read!

Steele Fieldsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ok, so what are you doing for the next few days?  lol

2. Benoitsmidget profile image73
    Benoitsmidgetposted 12 years ago

I have about 750 ideas, 250 titles and not a word written. I get a paragraph done and then have no idea what I'm doing.

It's ok.  It's a process, not an event.  I had no idea what I was doing either.  It's like jumping in an ocean then teaching yourself to swim.  But use those ideas-- they're probably good ones.  I used to get so many, I'd have to dash them down in the car at red lights and stop signs.  Those ideas turned out to be the jewels I tucked in between the rest of it.  And those titles you're coming up with probably reflect some type of subconscious theme or message you're tapping into and don't even know it yet.    See if you can find a common thread amongst the many titles, and once you discover your  true purpose,  go from there.  Just a thought...

3. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

I have written 9 novels but still not published. smile

4. Loi-Renee profile image71
    Loi-Reneeposted 12 years ago

Nine novels is a lot Calpol25, I have been working on some. I will start and half way through I get an idea for another and it never gets completed. big_smile

1. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its taken me years to get there but each knock back makes me more determined x smile

You will get there, all you need is discipline, focus and a good note book and pen write everything down that comes in to your head until nothing left and then sort through them and use them all for one book smile

That's exactly right.  Good advice.

5. Miss M profile image60
    Miss Mposted 12 years ago

I'm halfway through my novel and can't wait to get published one day! And the majorly good parts are yet to be written - but that's what makes it exciting!

6. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 12 years ago

I've written several novels.  The first I began when aged nineteen; that was some time ago now...! 

I'm currently working on the third draft of the third novel in a Dark Fantasy series set in Liverpool, and on the first draft of the fourth in the same series.  The first in the series, "Tamsin", is now published.

The trick to writing novels is to get that first draft finished without fussing over trying to make the text perfect.  Set a daily word count and try, as much as is possible, to keep to it.  Leave editing and re-writing for later drafts.

7. workingmomwm profile image80
    workingmomwmposted 12 years ago

I've finished one and self-published it. Haven't sold many copies, but that wasn't really the goal. The goal was just to finish it and have it in book form, which I've done. I was just too impatient to see it in print to actually last long through the whole agent/editor submission process. :-)

Currently, I've got about 10,000 words of another novel and part of the ending scene from a sequel to my self-published novel.

The trick to actually completing a novel, I've found, is to look at it as your job. Sometimes you don't feel like writing. I don't particularly feel like working on my novel today. That's why I'm spending some time writing this post. ;-)

You have to do it anyway. I've forced myself to write about 126 words. Hopefully I'll get a lot more done before the day is out.

Oh, and it does help to have some idea of where your novel is headed. That way you can skip around when you lose motivation to a more exciting plot point, and then work your way backward or forward. Eventually, you'll tie all the pieces together. You won't be able to help it!

8. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I tried with the Motivation of NaNoWriMo a few years ago, but could only manage 15,000 words.  I needed 50,000.

You might want to give it a go this November.
    National Novel Writing Month - it's very motivational.

I think I better stick to writing articles. smile

9. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

i've got one to the 80% point,... and one roughly 50% outlined,.... i return to them when it hits me,... i'm like a fickle lover you might say,...  so yes, it has been a work in progress for several years now,... the childrens short stories i complete rather quickly and the satire is fun and absorbs me until its finished,... but the novel,.... oh that dreaded novel,..... it teases me from the top corner of my roll top desk,.... it taunts me,... lures me in,... then tells me,... no.

10. Hypersapien profile image43
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

I've self-published my first two books over about the past 4 months or so, but haven't been doing a lot of marketing so I suppose I've no right to complain about the small number of sales.  Still, I enjoy it, and the fact that I've sold soemthing indicates that there may be a market for my work.  I've got about three others partially written on paper (although fully written in my head), but have been too busy with other projects to finish them.

11. profile image58
    Lindaannemposted 12 years ago

I've completed my novel already. It took me 6 years to have it done. I'm now currently in the final edit. It's a pain, but if you stick through it you'll get it done. I've sent a couple of pages to agents, but getting rejected. It's my dream, so have to stick with it, but it's not easy. Good Luck. I'm sure you'll get it done.

12. brielise profile image60
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

I have never really had a desire to write a novel but recently I had an idea pop into my head. I decided that since I don't have a job right now I might as well do something constructive, so I started writing. I haven't gotten too far and am a little concerned that I'm a little over my head. I chose a historical topic and want to become more familiar with the topic so that I can be accurate in my account. This will probably take some time and there's a good chance I'll give up at some point, but my boyfriend has been very supportive. He says I give up on myself too easily, so I guess I'll just try to prove him wrong!

13. Tara Anderton profile image60
    Tara Andertonposted 12 years ago

I like the fact that you can see you have matured and changed as a writer. I have written 2 novels and am writing my 3rd now. I have been gioven the oppertunity to publish my second novel. It is getting edited as I type. It is a wonderful process but it was a long journey. I had alot of no's before finally a yes. Keep at it and write as much as you can. And always stay positive, if you want it enough - it will be yours!
    Good luck with everything x

1. profile image0
      setarehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've almost finished my first, Tara!
      Congratulations on your recent success - i'm sure you worked hard and deserved it!
      Thank you for the advice!!

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Satareh, I admire your approach. The openness, this successful discussion, and of course your progress on your first novel. I hope it goes smoothly from here.

14. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

40,000 words. A bit lost with the characters but writing the bare bones and I'm enjoying the plot. When completed, I will edit, edit, edit.

15. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I thought I was writting one in 2008. I started and finished within a month and found it to only be about 40 pages. On the plus side I was told by a friend of mine who is a literary professor that it is a great un-polished gem and that if I could flesh it out a bit, it would make a best seller. So that's promising. I however have done not awhole lot with it. I can't seem to flesh any part of it out too much. hmm

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it just needs to be a little more descriptive. People, rooms, atmosphere etc. I don't know, I'm just guessing.

16. Nickalooch profile image59
    Nickaloochposted 12 years ago

Almost done my 2nd novel as of now. My third novel is in planning stages, as in I am just beginning to think about the characters and the plot. I'm not published yet as I literally burnt my first novel. I hated it, it was awful but it was a learning experience.

1. profile image0

Oh my! You burnt it?!
      My first novel . . . well i wrote it when i was 16 and going through some horrible things so even though i finished, it was a really morbid and depressing one with such a sad ending that i never want anyone to read it. It's buried among folders and scraps of paper. I don't quite know what to do with it.

1. profile image0

Hold onto it. If you get something else published, you will have an editor to discuss it with. Maybe they can use it.

2. Nickalooch profile image59
        Nickaloochposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I wrote it when I was pretty sick, so it just was all over the place. I just made things up as I went. Looking back, I guess at the time it was more therapeutic above all else. I was sick my junior year of high school to the point where I missed over 100 days of school. In that time, I realized I want to be a writer.

3. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, dig it up and re-work it - teens are morbid and depressed!  look at the Twilight series -  you could just add some action and it might be a hit -  I started a kind of serial novel here on hubpages - stopped midway when I realized I should have finished the whole thing before publishing any of it because there were huge mistakes, holes, gaps in my brain I guess.  I doubt if I will ever finish it, but it was fun.  I might try a new one someday.  I still like the idea of series or trilogies or something like that.  Just haven't had new ideas for much of anything, and I doubt Hubpages is really the place for my fiction anyhow.  Writing is not as much fun when you're trying to make ad money from it, that's what I've discovered.  It was fun when I could ignore the revenue aspect, but for some reason I guess I've lost my innocence.

17. profile image0
    AfterAzriaposted 12 years ago

When I first began writing, that was me, too. I would start strong, write a chapter or two, and then just stop. I had no idea what to do with it, where to go with it, anything. I've still got about six or seven unfinished books on my computer. The best thing I can suggest is starting with an outline - it's tedious, but it really helps wonders when you lose your focus. Good luck!

18. profile image0
    setarehposted 12 years ago

@Website Examiner - perhaps when i find it doesn't hurt so much to read it, then maybe i can objectively analyse it or get someone else to. It's really why i haven't gotten rid of it, actually. There's a 'just in case' in my head that won't quite go away.
    @Nickalooch - It was clearly worth it then if through that, you realised you wanted to be a writer! I realised when i started penning down thoughts in order to vent. Before that it was cutting up paper! haha!
    @Mega1 - Do you think i could let loose some mythical creatures and see how it goes? Soemthing that feeds of depression would be nice! But i'm not so creative, i think i shall stick with humans. Emotions are complex enough for me!
    @AfterAzria - I have a couple of unfinished ones too. Whenever i get a little tired of my current WIP then i flit over to another, actually they're coming along by an infinitesimal amount each week but still . . . it's something!

I love ALL your replies by the way!

19. Voronwe profile image60
    Voronweposted 12 years ago

This is a great forum! Enjoyed reading through the posts and the various experiences. What calpol25 said about writing everything down and then using the sorted ideas for one book actually works.
    Don't get rid of your old projects - you'll be surprised at how they'll return to your current work in some essence or the other. I had written many unfinished stories as a teenager and then at 17, I stopped everything because an unconscious plan of a story had started to grow. A lot of research, dreaming and plotting went into it but the writing of it wasn't until after two years. It still isn't finished and I have quite unfortunately, realized that I have grown too attached to the characters - the 500 page novel I couldn't imagine sharing with anyone...absolutely no one! My brother had his writing easy...his very second attempt was extremely successful.
    As of now, I've just started with another story but I still know that I should probably return to the old one and publish it with courage.
    So yeah...don't EVER EVER fall in love with your own characters (the experience can be both sad and magical) and keep all your old work since it's important to observe how you've developed as a person and writer. A lot of my first works wormed their way into my novel in the form of dreams, short poems, lyrics, delusions etc. And even if you don't yet have an outline or direction, it's very important to write something...anything everyday - that way, you learn how to refine the characters themselves, plots and above all, how to best use the perspectives or point-of-views.

voronwe:  your comment about falling in love with your own characters really hit home with me.  I had the same experience when I wrote my first and only novel ( took me 5 years)  and although I felt a sense of profound loss when the novel was finished, I must admit, being in love with my main character was probably more of an asset to the final product, rather than a liability.  Was wondering if you agree?  .Also, I'm with you about the way other pieces of writing in other genres somehow manage to worm their way into the novel, except in my case, things in novel wormed their way out - a chapter here became a short story there, several narrative passages transformed themselves into poems, etc.  All in all, it was a long, strange trip...

1. Voronwe profile image60
        Voronweposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh...wow! Steele Fields, I'm so glad you shared this experience. I had always wanted to meet someone who had fallen in love with their own creations! It's the most wonderful thing. And yes, I totally agree about this beautiful madness being an asset to the final product rather than a liability. Though I'll never be able to share the story or my main characters with anyone...I don't mind it at all. It's like some sort of secret enlightenment or pleasure that only you are privy to, something that never turns ordinary or colorless.

All the heartbreaks(the literal emotion-overload kind), wonder and love - I don't think anybody could ever forget. I twice saw my main character in my dreams, very briefly...should have been impossible but there he was! Alive and real...usually he's in the dark or somewhere behind. Okay...sorry, dunno why I'm telling you all this! But it was beyond overwhelming...

Anyways, what you said about things worming out of the book; right again. I only recently stopped working on this novel but everytime I have to think for a new poem or story, I unconsciously anchor it to 'that one'.
        And with you, I think it's because the whole journey...the long strange trip, as you expressed could be the most reflective moving experience of your own doing. I guess the story and it's deep connection isn't entirely gone from your mind. I read your previous posts...please don't give up trying to get your book published. A sincere piece of work of such an enormous effort should be acknowledged.
        All the best!

And to you, my new hub pages friend!

1. profile image0

Any progress for anyone?
            Mine is coming along pretty well smile

Afsaneh

1. readytoescape profile image62
              readytoescapeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Novel 'THE SHOPKEEPER' in it's paperback edition was released on Amazon today.

1. profile image0

Congratulations!! I'm incredibly happy for you (not just jealous, I swear!)
                I'll take a look at the synopsis now.

Here is an Author interveiw you might want to check out as well

<snipped - no promotional links in the forums>

1. profile image0

</snipped>

I have no idea what that means . . . snipped?

Can you message the link to me or something?
                    Christ, I feel so absurd!
                    Thank you!

20. readytoescape profile image62
    readytoescapeposted 12 years ago

I just got an email today from the publisher telling me the printer just shipped the proofs of my novel for approval.

1. Joy56 profile image68
      Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am so impressed, could not write a novel, too impatient..... a short story maybe. o

21. Hubpage Gal profile image58
    Hubpage Galposted 12 years ago

I have written two books on LuLu.com complete with a free ISBN.  Writing a book is difficult to do without walking away and then coming back anew and refreshed.  Quality takes time so I would suggest that you don't just stop but continue and write the book in phases. I  hope this helps.

22. leni sands profile image66
    leni sandsposted 12 years ago

I starting writing an autobiographical novel some years ago.  I have a synopsis and a couple of chapters fairly finished, the rest of it is still in my head waiting for the right 'streaming' moment.  My synopsis is here on hubpages...

23. profile image0
    starsofeightposted 12 years ago

I wrote a novel back in the 90's. Did a little every evening after work. Had nothing else to do but feed the cats. What helped me was an extensive outline. It was so extensive, each character had an individual psychological profile. Although I tackled the work with linear intent, I could have gone to any point in the story at any time, using the outline. It also helped that I really enjoyed each character. I was, in fact, drawn into each one in a way that permitted me to live the story as I penned it.

24. PaulStaley1 profile image70
    PaulStaley1posted 12 years ago

I want to be a renowned, rich author, writing about fighting fires and international travel.  First I have to read a few books on time management!

25. vespawoolf profile image92
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

Wow! There's a lot of novel writing in this community! I recently finished my debut middle grade novel. It took me nearly a decade to complete it. I changed it too many times and finally, about a year ago, decided which direction to take it. I did a year's worth of marathon writing, editing, editing and more editing and now I finally have my first novel under my belt. :  )

1. profile image0

You must be so proud! AH, how i'm jealous! But still incredibly happy for you, i can't imagine a feeling quite like it smile

26. vespawoolf profile image92
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

I have to say that even if we never get published, at least we can say we've written a novel. I encourage anyone who has an unfinished manuscript languishing on the shelf to get it out, dust it off and finish it!

1. profile image0

That's definitely the right attitude!

27. Jason Marovich profile image89
    Jason Marovichposted 12 years ago

So far, the people I've talked to that wrote and published e-books are still waiting to sell their tenth copy.  I was just telling my wife yesterday (she's thinking about writing one) that e-books would be perfect for her because she excels at promotion, and she has seemingly limitless energy (two qualities I don't possess lol).  But, I'm still thinking about trying it, like everyone says, why not?  What's to lose?

28. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Ah, but the question is, how many of those authors who are still waiting to sell their tenth copy have several years of experience learning online marketing, how to drive traffic and get content found?

All these online articles we write serve a very useful purpose: we're learning by trial and error how to attract readers.

1. Jason Marovich profile image89
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you know as well as I, that getting a novel writer interested about marketing is no mean feat tongue

29. readytoescape profile image62

I would encourage the other Authors here that have Ebooks to participate in Operation EBook Drop as well. Our Troops can always use a distraction and they are always looking for good reading material.

Its good for them and it can be good for you as well. Besides it is the right thing to do.

Check their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/OperationEbookDrop

30. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 12 years ago

I wrote a novel. smile It is isn't easy to do because there are road blocks along the way. You have to keep going though. Taking a break from writing it is good too. But don't stop. You will get there in the end.

1. profile image0

Sounds great! The creative process is most fascinating, I think.

31. carter06 profile image68
    carter06posted 12 years ago

Have just finished a final edit of my first novel and having a manuscript assessment this week . Whew what an accomplishment!!!  Here's hoping for publication. smile

Congratulations,,Good Luck

1. carter06 profile image68
        carter06posted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks so much!!

2. profile image0

*Fingers crossed*
      Wishing you the best of luck!
      Do drop by to share the good news!

1. carter06 profile image68
        carter06posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much setareh, you are very kind and I will drop by and to read your hubs.

32. readytoescape profile image62

EXAMINER, did you ever download the copy I sent to you? If you haven’t send me another email for a new code. You might want to do that anyway, we discovered some “printers’ errors” in the other copy and uploaded a re-edited Edition that is available now.

1. profile image0

Readytoescape, I downloaded the book over a week ago. Thanks.

33. transcriptioncity profile image60
    transcriptioncityposted 12 years ago

I have always wanted to write a novel. I would imagine that it takes a lot of skill and patience to finish one.

1. profile image0

Anything worth doing needs patience, i think. And i'd love to say skill isn't needed but that would be an insult to all our budding novelists, now wouldn't it?!
      I think you get all the skill you neeed to write from living, from reading and from feeling.
      Just my humble opinion, of course.

34. Baphamett profile image58
    Baphamettposted 12 years ago

then...perhaps a compilation of all yo' attempts & call it memoirsof a wanna be novelist....hmmm...

1. profile image0

It would certainly be something many people could relate to!

35. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

Do you have trouble balancing writing your novel and being active on HubPages?  I find when I'm working on my book, my HP following falls off.

1. profile image0

Absolutely, Kathleen!
      I've been a member for five months and don't even have 20 hubs yet. Some people can churn out one a day and that's great for them but I just don't have the strength to manage both a novel and original hubs.
      Although we've got a progressing story here in the forums -
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/93211
      Since my hubs are mainly poems, I find that I only really need half an hour or so collectively to write one. Articles would drive me crazy!
      Still, I'm afloat!
      I just checked your profile . . . Christ, you're successful!

36. Anishpat profile image77
    Anishpatposted 12 years ago

I would post a link but I'm afraid I'd get flagged for posting promotional material!

If you truly want to finish your novel... I would suggest reading up a bit on story structure and coming up with a strong outline for your story (although you might have already done that)... This way you have a rough map as to where you need to end up...

1. profile image0

That is probably exactly what would have happened.

2. profile image0

I saw one on you profile, is that the same one? Yes, best not to post it as W.E. said!

Thank you for the advice; I make it a habit to outline before I start. As for structure, I tend to invent my own . . . not sure if that is good or bad!

37. Anishpat profile image77
    Anishpatposted 12 years ago

Yes that's the one!

Inventing your structure, that’s a very good thing... In fact one should let the story guide the structure... But it  helps to know how others do it or what successful writers have to say about structure, character development etc. I love to read "how to" books on writing but the best quote about writing that I have read is: 'There are only three rules to writing a good novel, and nobody knows what they are!' smile

1. profile image0

Well, i'll see how it goes! If nothing else, at least I'm being my own person.
      I tried reading those books but in the end i just thought that telling a person how to write is like telling them how to feel . . . it can't be forced.

As for that quote, were it a question instead of a statement, I'd say you only need heart, soul and patience.

38. readytoescape profile image62

Also for anyone interested, I am paying an 11% commission for promoting my Novel in E-book format. Email me through the hubpages system for more information.

39. GingerBell profile image61
    GingerBellposted 12 years ago

I have written two novels but haven't got the heart to publish it yet. I guess I'm too scared to take on competition

1. profile image0

At least, most of the work has been done. Sounds good!

1. GingerBell profile image61
        GingerBellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you wink

2. profile image0

When you're ready, I'm sure you will take them on. And then, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate when it's a success! big_smile

3. readytoescape profile image62

Fear is useless. If your novels are ready, publish them. Your readers may well appreciate your efforts, but there is only one way to find out.

40. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Yes, my novel (based on much of my own life so far) is 99% finished, and I am getting a cover designed for it! And looking forward to self-publishing on the web and selling and earning dosh from it! LOL!

1. profile image0

So that'll be published very soon, yes?
      Do come back here and let us know how it does, won't you?!
      Congratulations!!

41. readytoescape profile image62

WE: I was just reading about your Hubpages Fiction Readers Club, is it still active?

<snipped - no promotional links in the forums>

1. profile image0

Thanks. I did send out a newsletter about one month ago, but received very little response. So the project is currently dormant.

Well if you resuscitate it, let me know and I will provide you free digital copies of my book to distribute to your members if you would like.

I’m giving away 10,000 copies to anyone that is active duty Military throughout the month of March so what’s a few more.

If you know anyone serving that might be interested in receiving a digital copy have them email a request through my site from their military email address.

42. profile image0
    ctbrown7posted 12 years ago

Writing a novel is hard work, there is no doubt about that.  I think writing an outline of the entire novel is helpful in making it through the process.  I recently had my first book published, "Influencing Destiny: Poetry and Prose".  It's not a novel, but it's a good start.  Don't give up trying to write your novel.

1. profile image0

Outlines are definitely useful! I started with one and found that along the way, It changed more times than I can care to count! Still, I need a guideline for when I work!
      Congratulations!!
      I love hearing that so many people have had their dreams come true or are on the track! It really helps me stay optimistic!

2. profile image0

What sort of book is this, if you don't mind my asking?

43. readytoescape profile image62

Pretty sure there wasn’t any e-commerce happening. Announcing that your book is newly published and available in a thread discussing hub members that are writing, or have written a novel, isn’t exactly a sales pitch.

Nor is directing someone that is participating, who inquires about the book to a location to provide the information they requested.

They also cut the link I posted to your Fiction Readers Club too. Something I think is also worthy of mention in this thread and fully within the scope of the discussion.

1. profile image0

This is an interesting issue worthy of its own forum thread, I think. I am not saying there was any e-commerce going on. But without rules, this thread and others like it would soon be flooded with links, and others would stop posting their opinions.

A self-promotion forum would solve a lot of problems, if it were feasible.

To that point I would agree, but I certianly did not see a violation of those rules with either of the links that were posted, niether the one to your hub nor the one to Pat Bertram's site.

1. profile image0

I don't know what make the moderators "tick" or "snip." I see your point, and thank you for the attention to my hub. After the link to the interview was snipped, I easily located the post based on your description. A good interview.

Thank you very much WE that was quite nice. I would also like to extend my thanks for the placement of my novel at your bookstore as well. I'm flattered.

44. readytoescape profile image62

I think your Fiction Readers Club is great idea, terrific way for someone with your skills and abilities to share with and encourage other members and way for authors and readers to interact.

1. profile image0

Thank you very much.

45. smzclark profile image59
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

I wrote a novel a while back. Before I put any effort into editing or publishing I had my husband read it. His reaction told me to push it to one side (even though he said it was good... we all know when the ones we love are lying).

1. profile image0

Such a decision should be based on the story's potential, so you may want to have someone else take a look.

2. readytoescape profile image62

I’d suggest that you request at least ten people to read it, with the gentle instruction of reading not editing. Have them doing nothing but concentrate on the story line, characters and pace as they read. Then once they have finished don’t just ask their opinion, but ask direct questions about the three items above. Like the casting couch questions, “if this story were a movie who would you cast as the leading character?

The answer to this will let you know if you have developed your character to the depth that you want the reader to comprehend. Only you really know what your character is supposed to be, the question will help you to know if you got the likeness across.

With this information you can then flesh out the manuscript and see through the "kindness".

1. profile image0

That's a very good idea - If all you need are some unbiased opinions then this could be a huge help!

46. ashleeosborn profile image61
    ashleeosbornposted 12 years ago

I've tried before, even got one completely finished and in an angry, self doubting fit I deleted the whole thing. I'm working on one now that hopefully will work out better. I'll have to try the stopping when I know what I'm going to write next, though I'm thinking it'll probably keep me up all night having all those thoughts going through my head.

1. profile image0

I'd written a whole one too, it was years ago and I deleted it. Mainly because it had just been a way for me to vent. I may however have snippets of it left somewhere.
      Sleepless nights, are for me, a regular occurence-my brain kills me with overthinking!
      I hope this one you're working one survives and goes well!

47. Eric Calderwood profile image78
    Eric Calderwoodposted 12 years ago

I've written a manuscript for a fiction book, but am hung up on the submission process.  Writing the story was fun and even revising it was fun, but following all the guidelines and format rules for a proper submission package just seems like so much work to me.  I've got to discipline myself to get into the business side of writing.

48. Amaya31 profile image56
    Amaya31posted 12 years ago

I tried once but I can't finish it. I need new ideas. I need to travel. I need new experiences and new things to inspire me to write. Novel is too long to write and it really needs effort and brains. smile. I can only write short stories. We'll I'm hoping that someday I can finish what I have started.

49. Virginia Lea profile image73
    Virginia Leaposted 11 years ago

I actually JUST published my first book. It's very short though and geared towards teenage girls. I am currently working on three others at the moment. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)