Put your hands up if you are tired of all the negativity in the forum

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (116 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I'm trying to stay out of the political forum until at least after Christmas. I am also resolving to not give in to negativity in the new year. Life is much too short for fussing and fighting my friend... Now if only I could block seeing the topic headings.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a good idea for all of us.  It's not the season for negativity, not with Santa watching us! smile

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ten thousand applauses.    Life is indeed too short and there are so many more taxing issues in the world such as homelessness, unemployment, abused children, and hungry people througout the world and in  the United States to be thinking about this.   To each his/her own as long as no one gets hurt in the process.

2. midget38 profile image86
        midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but it isn't just the forums where you see this type of thing.  Once in awhile comments can get pretty nasty, too!  What a waste of time for all involved!

3. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about the war on Christmas? smile

1. Joseph041167 profile image61
        Joseph041167posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@LiamBean- I am an Atheist who celebrates Christmas, not warring Christmas, I have no problem with that or Yule. I would prefer that it stay off of gov't property. I just have too many other more important issues on my plate. If you have relationships and money, then, holidays are wonderful, I am all bah humbug for entirely differant reasons. There is nothing wrong with pretty colors, lights, songs, and Santa Clause. It does not matter what religion or culture you belong to, this is global. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you and all, Happy Yule, and New Years, and peace out.

1. ritsukakunx profile image62
          ritsukakunxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. You have to remember other cultures celebrate Christmas, too, even though that aren't predominately Christian! I believe it is more than just a religious holiday, at least to a lot of people! Christmas is a time of year for everyone who wants to celebrate it!

1. A Thousand Words profile image66
            A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. I'm no christian but I love me some Christmas. I here Jesus was born some time in the fall anyway. wink

4. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should have been here before the election!
      The hatred and negativity for Romney was off the charts!

1. LiamBean profile image80

For Romney? How about Barack Obama?

Sometimes I think we are on the verge of a whole new civil war, except the word "civil" should probably be excluded because some posters are anything but.

I've participated in some really good debates, but it only takes one cretin to ruin the whole thing. These forums would be much better served if the person who starts the topic had the power to remove derogatory content.

1. Repairguy47 profile image59
          Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Civil war, hmm. Maybe.

2. stayingalivemoma profile image84
          stayingalivemomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you Liam.

1. profile image0
            Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which is why I wrote the series Civil War 2012... smile

5. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rise above it all uninvited.  Some people just like to spread their nastiness and negativity.  Sometimes, it seems, that all the fun of hub pages just gets sucked out by a few miserable so and so's.  But there are plenty of really funny talented people out there.  And of course Mark Knowles who cracks me up, no matter how negative he gets. big_smile

6. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5417243_f248.jpg

7. rfmoran profile image71
      rfmoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My hand's up, can you see it? I agree. I think political battles are wonderful, but not on HP, which is designed as a "community." There are endless forums on the Internet where you can slug it out with your opponents to your heart's content.

8. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I try to avoid negativity, but I don't always succeed, especially when responding to certain political trolls.

9. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly why I left the forums a year ago! To much negativity and rather be around more positive people. smile

10. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, you're not seeing it as a wonderful opportunity to laugh at those who are fighting and fussing over politics. Sometimes, one can pretend they're just talking a stroll through Hyde Park, if you get my drift. wink

Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many would fit right into Speakers Corner smile

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

Exactly. Highly entertaining. A laugh a minute.

11. wba108@yahoo.com profile image76
      wba108@yahoo.composted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think almost all of can agree with you! Of course its human nature to see ourselves with rose colored glasses and see the faults of others with magnifying glasses!

12. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good idea uninvitedwriter , seeings how most of the negativety is yours!

That is not true, please list negative threads I have started...  Boy, you always attack when anyone disagrees with you on another thread don't you?

But, I'm not playing into the negativity you and repairguy have brought to this thread. And the others. I will still be as positive as I can today, despite the terrible shooting that happened.

2. snakeslane profile image81

I beg to differ. I've always found Uninvited Writer to be helpful and courteous.

1. kathleenkat profile image84
          kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Helpful? I don't know how anyone is particularly helpful in these forums, outside of forum sections intended for users to get help about writing hubs.

I don't see how engaging in meaningless discussion and debates is at all helpful. If you post a topic about something, and someone posts and opinion, whether in agreement or disagreement, it's not helpful. The only thing I can see as remotely being helpful is perhaps entertaining us for five or so minutes. And the posts that disagree? Why even bother? In all likelihood, it pisses off the topic-starter. Best case scenario, it gets ignored. Likely scenario? It fuels the fire of debate.

So no, these forums and their users aren't "helpful." In fact, here I am, fueling the fire of debate. Awesome. But these "helpful" comments is what fuels the negativity here.

Perhaps people need to be more mindful of how there is no need to share your opinion just because you happen to have one. It doesn't matter how "courteous" you are with what you say to people, it can (and will) still piss them off. Some people come on here just to vent, and it doesn't matter how nicely (or rudely) you say something; you're still saying it.

Lets all go outside and play.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Me, too. I can only think of someone else even more so the esteemed, gentlemanly Quilligrapher.

1. snakeslane profile image81

Thanks, I looked him up, and I see why he would be so well regarded. Will watch for his posts.

She smile

Quilligrapher is a woman? Sorry Q. ed: Nope, that's not it.
                OK, I think I see where the confusion is coming from UW, another poster earlier referred to You as a 'he', now with this comment tagged on to my previous comment, looks like I was referring to you. The ink is so light on the 'replied to' section, hard to see.

Oops, sorry. I thought you were talking about me smile Lol. what an ego I must have smile

Hey, maybe not ego. Ralph Deeds put you in the same esteemed company as Quilligrapher earlier in the thread.Enjoy!

3. A Troubled Man profile image57

That is entirely false and you know it.

13. Jenn-Anne profile image74
      Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish we could filter the forums so we only see the topics we want to see. I would ALWAYS filter out the religious and political forums. I find many of the topic headings to be offensive. I respect that people are free to say and discuss what they wish. I'd just prefer not to have to see it.

14. tandaa profile image60
      tandaaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can you imagine how life would be if everything and everyone around us was all positive?

15. Don Fairchild profile image71
      Don Fairchildposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good heavens, did everyone miss the title of this post?  Why does it always have to revert to something negative.  Oh and yes the posting author can "deny" a response on their question if they want to, I have done it when the reply was off content or offensive.

Now then on to pleasantries,  lately the only shows watched on TV are comedies or Christmas singing and stories,  sports are a good choice too.   
      We are back to reading books and magazines that promote art or hobbies,  my latest hobby being beer making is quite refreshing...
      When friends or relatives ask about what is going on with the government, just like in the 1950's and 60's we just state that we don't talk about politics or religion.  But we have some good food recipes to discuss.

So, have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year, also note any cynical postings will be ignored and deleted.

2. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I have been on Hubpages only for a few months. At the beginning, I was willing to jump in pretty much any kind of debate, especially those on topics that sometimes infuriated me. I guess with time I have acquired some badly needed wisdom, as I have come to the conclusion that debating, like any other human activity, is not for everybody. It takes a special open mind to tolerate that others might think differently (and accept it!). It takes humility to recognise that whatever our opinion might be on anything, we may ultimately be wrong. It takes vision to accept that some subjects will not be resolved in our lifetime, if ever (hunger, poverty, religion, abortion, etc...) So, I restrained myself, and it wasn't easy. As much as the world and its people interest me, I have become more selective with what I wish to debate about and who I want to do it with. There are enough people on a mission here on HP, and I am not and will not be one of them. But in the end, and concentrating on the positivity, this is a great community of all kinds of writers whose creativity and talent never ceases to amaze me. So as Wilderness righfully pointed out, Santa is watching and we don't want to find nothing under the tree on Christmas morning, so we better behave! Happy Holidays to all in the Hubpages community.

1. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So well put  :-)

1. austinhealy profile image73
        austinhealyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Kaili. As you may have noticed, this thread, which started very mildly and on a positive note has already veered into the gutter. Hopeless!

2. stayingalivemoma profile image84

Amen to that, austinhealy!

3. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

I have said this before:

It would be good if Hub Pages would put the more volatile and personal topics, like politics and religion  out of the main feed! The other negative posts, especially complaints about Hub Pages, are part of a healthy forum. They at least address topics that apply to business here.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They actually need to be abolished completely. I suspect that the only reason they keep them is to keep the forums active because that affects the traffic in some ways.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

I agree UW, It is high time to let positive thoughts, love and encouragement be the rule! I have learned from many in which I disagree, but we can learn nothing from one another when close-minded hate speech rules the forums. Negativity never leads to progress or solutions.

What do you consider hate speech?

1. tammybarnette profile image61
        tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hate speech is fighting and calling names, acting like a child, offering no proof or solutions, only creating negative energy...Stating negative, biased opinions and representing such as facts,etc, etc....I have seen a lot of that, but mostly during the election.

Thats what I thought you would say, anything you disagree with is hate speech.

No, completely untrue...I can have disagreements with people and still learn from them. I do not believe I know everything there is to know, nor ever will, and I enjoy the journey of learning along the way...I am also able to disagree with someone by using facts and never stuping to being hateful, or calling names:)

Like your fact concerning bank deregulation?

Check back on the other forum where you can read that answer...

I already know the answer.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
                Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You could learn something from Tammy, Repairguy. She never launches insults, she's too bright to label a whole bunch of people as either libs, or repubs- She's a thinker, often underestimates herself whilst giving the benefit of the doubt to people who couldn't lay a glove on her intellectually. And then, she gets chased by uneducated, foolish trolls who work for 50c a post.

Still, sure you know that anyway.

smile

2. LiamBean profile image80

Repairguy47: What she's is basically saying is telling lies and calling people names for insisting on the truth. So yes, in that she disagrees with lies and childish behavior and calls that hate speech.

I have a simpler definition. Presenting yourself as better than others based on your gender, skin color, or political affiliation OR promoting denying others the very rights you have based on these three conditions, and expressing your views as right or fact, makes you a hate speaker.

Now I've read your posts before Repairguy so I already knew you met this definition.

How hateful and negative of you! lollollollollollol Way to raise the dialogue to a higher standard! Typical.

1. profile image0

Yawn.  This is a thread about being tired of negativity. Yawn, either your being a bit horrid or I've just developed narcolepsy.

You've been here sixteen months and written precisely one hub. Since you are obviously not a writer I have to ask; why are you here?

My guess is to stir up excrement since you spend so much of your time doing that.

1. profile image0

How many repairguys does it take to change a light bulb? big_smile big_smile

I'm quite certain Repairguy47 is a proficient professional. In many ways however, he's no better than the caged primate in the monkey house, flinging excrement out of anger and boredom.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

They'd have to work out what a light bulb is first! lol

2. austinhealy profile image73

Ouch! smile

1. austinhealy profile image73

Unfortunately, not attacking others will not allways prevent some others from attacking you, as the problem doesn't lie with responsible, open minded people, bust most often with self righteous, narrow minded individuals.

3. stayingalivemoma profile image84

You guessed it Liam - too busy not writing because of always sleezing through the forums looking to start a fight. I know from experience. Trust me, he's not worth the effort of punching the keys on your keyboard.

4. A Thousand Words profile image66
                  A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Joseph041167 profile image61
        Joseph041167posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@repairguy47--any liberal democrate who follows Obama. wink lol!! you asked what do i consider hate speech, lol, wink

5. Li Galo profile image74
    Li Galoposted 11 years ago

I prefer to voice my thoughts without attacking others.  I think respect is the name of the game.  If someone is unhappy or needs guidance with HP and there's a real issue, that's worth discussing and addressing.  If it's just a personal political fight, that belongs elsewhere and hurts the community when it's here in the main feed.  I like to be positive minded.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

This be one of those days, I wish I was an octopus lol I'd raise all eight 'hands' in support. I hope you have some awesome and safe Holidays too smile

1. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like respect for fellow hubbers and great discussions with acceptance of all opinions.

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I would raise my hand, but I need both to type my scathing rebuttals.
    lol
    Seriously, philosophically I totally agree with you, UW.
    Civility and kindness are great goals for all in 2013.
    Practically speaking, if you withdraw, there goes 60 percent of our argument!
    Pleez... don't leave us! We need you!!!!
    smile

8. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

What I did on G+ today was create a futurist community for a post-labor economy. It comprises futurists, social scientists, and people who aren't so interested in politics and whose side is where. It's a whole new ball game - and it works!

9. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

That's why I kind of quit. I'll log into this site a couple times a week to check my articles, but that's it.

The forums drove me away. Too easy to get pissed off or be pissed off at others.

Then I was banned randomly for 3 days, and a week later I managed to get a vague response from staff saying it was a "personal attack," though no indication as to what post was particularly "against the rules" (I don't recall intending to 'personally attack' anyone, by the way).

So yeah, negativity in the forums, plus the staff, drove me away. Funny how I managed to stay at a "90" with such little activity over the past weeks, too >_>

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

See?  I'd like to put this post under the noses of staff to demonstrate why the HubPages-related forums should be separated from the Topic forums.  When I first joined HubPages, they were separate and I enjoyed the forums blissfully unaware of the political and religious sections. 

Today, even though I've made a resolution not to visit them, the threads are so "in your face" it's sometimes hard to resist the temptation - and I always regret it.  I wish there was an easy way to block them out.

Yeah. I made it a point to ignore my feed all together, and 'unsubscribe' from all forum posts. I just logged in, checked the right side for new comments, and left.

This forum topic, however, was right on the top. And I felt I had to reply. It seems I am not the only one who has gotten a bad taste in their mouth because of the forum. The forum is just...not worth the time. Already I feel like I've wasted 5 minutes replying here, but hopefully the staff will see my posts and others' and make some changes. Hell, it was enough to drive me, a fairly successful and established user, away. Imagine how many others are being driven off?

1. profile image0
          mariexotoniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You didn't have to reply is the thing (if it was really a waste of 5 of your minutes, don't bother- it's easy). I actually appreciate this man's opinion. It's refreshing to see number the people who agree.

What gave you the impression to felt that I was forced to reply? I stated that I felt spending time responding to the negative posts was a waste of time, and, clearly it is. By the way, I agree with many of the posts in this forum as well.

But seeing as the spirit of this "anti-negative-debate" thread is full of debate, I'll just click 'unfollow' and quit responding. Happy? Perhaps someone else would be glad to debate wink

10. Joseph041167 profile image61
    Joseph041167posted 11 years ago

Speed reading is not the word for it when I come to these long marathon chats. I think it had something to do with all the negativity going on. Fortunately, I have not been dragged down into it yet. This last year, Facebook, FB for short, bottomed out, went sour on me. Actually, I was banned off of Atheist Nexus first. This is not the first time I have been rejected by my own people. I am one of Christendom's rejects. In the process of time, I could not get along with, okay, I am going to keep it somewhat mild here, but whole demographic groups, and I could not get along with anyone. I was getting into trouble on FB, recieving threat letters, and getting put on 24 hour blocks. I am in danger of losing FB permanantly, and planning to shut it down. I really wanted to intentionally make HubPages, HP for short, go a lot better. This is professional here, business. I cannot lose this. I also got a Linked In place, and decided, that is strictly lawyer professional behavior. I tend to be an on line partier, I like to get wild, but I also get dragged into the undertow of all the drama-trauma. I have strong political beliefs that are very unpopular these days. I am an odd ball who does not fit in any where, storie of my life. Well, I want to not get into all of that on HP, fortuantely have not gotten dragged into the undertow yet. I am a professional writer on here. Not sure how to salvage FB and my other online personages. But when you go HP, you go public, you are out there on Google. Google yourself and see what pops up, you are out there for millions globally to see. So, there is a fine line between drama-trauma, getting wild, partieing, and pretending lawyer, journalist, professional, writer or whatever.  And there is probably going to be a fine line about presenting a lot of important issues I need to get out there which are all very unpopular. Well, enough here, good night, all. Happy Holidays, Merrry Christmas, Hannaukah, New years, Blessed Yule, one and all, blessed be, and peace out I am outta here.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Yes, HP should implement a forum filter in which we can block topics, threads.  It would be nice.

On the other hand, I don't let the negativity get to me.  Some threads I simply won't open if I see that particularly negative posters started the thread.  I know there will be no real discussion because they're started to instigate rather than debate or discuss.  That's child's play.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I just found a nice site, looks like it has possibilities

http://positiveatmosphere.com/

1. profile image0

I should like it, I really should but all that positivity made me reel twitchy.  Do you think I've been here too long?

I'll let you know how long I last there smile

13. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

Well, the wonderful news is that my Futurist Trend community on G+ has completely removed us from left and right politics and we can just examine what is happening and how to move on. As we've all got a fair amount of knowledge and we're all rational thinkers using analysis, it's an exubertant experience. When something isn't logical, we can point out the errors, and instead of being told we're stupid, liberal, GOP, or any other name calling, we can just adjust and get on with figuring out new systems of government. It's great! smile

So I guess I've found my niche and won't be involved in the ugly political forums over here anymore. smile

14. bat115 profile image78
    bat115posted 11 years ago

Can't we all just... get along?

Apparently not. hmm

1. bat115 profile image78
        bat115posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sad to see that still going on after the three years I've been here.

Yah, I just use the forums for help, advice, and clarification on Hub Pages related stuff, or getting to know the community. Reasonable debate is always interesting, but the trolls are everywhere.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I should have known better, I have tried this before and always gotten attacked for it.

KathleenKat, this is twice you have told me that "there is no need to share your opinion"

I just want to be able to ignore the negative political and religious threads... on all sides of the political spectrum but I guess since you can't do it here. I'll just try to avoid looking at the forum thread titles.

1. profile image0
      mariexotoniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad people like you share your opinions- as opposed to the junk people are willing to post in forums.

It's kind of sad to be attacked for posting a "live and let live" sentiment. Your detractors have to make a special effort to find this, read it (sort of), and then besmirch you for your stand.

I simply have to acknowledge the fact that it gives me perverse pleasure to respond in kind.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60

I'm glad you share your opinion too, UV, HP is enriched for it. You know, when someone wants to silence you, it's usually because they can't produce an effective counter argument- or, they're just arguing for the sake of it. That's their problem- NOT yours. smile

4. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Isn't expressing opinions what one does on discussion forums?

Only if you are a "know it all" Republican.

5. kathleenkat profile image84

My post wasn't directed specifically at you, rather, in response to Snakeslane's post, about the general attitude in these forums (and my theory as to what causes it).

If you wan't to avoid negativity, don't personally mention me, or anyone else, in your posts. It makes the person you are 'making an example of' react negatively wink

My post was in reply to the OP:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5417243_f248.jpg

16. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Uhhhh , put your hand up if you're trolling for trouble to start with .......Jees!

17. LiamBean profile image80
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

Back after a three day ban. Wow, I wonder who I upset. I can't imagine who it might have been.

First time for everything I suppose. I've been here almost five years and that's the first time I've been banned. And I didn't even use four letter words.

I've decided that I will limit my forum participation to rooting out and getting rid of trolls. You know, the kind that publish one hub and spend all their time stirring up everyone else in the forums.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

I can't imagine why you would have been banned. My understanding is that for the most part one isn't likely to be banned unless somebody rats you out. The moderators don't have time to read all the comments looking for personal attacks. I've been called names several times by someone who's never, to my knowledge, been banned, I assume because I haven't bothered to report him. I agree with HP's objective of encouraging fact-based, intelligent, respectful discussion.

big_smile

18. Joseph041167 profile image61
    Joseph041167posted 11 years ago

I got banned on FB for 24 hours, had several posts and comments removed, and threats for shut down, mutually and reciprocal. When your a conservative republican, nobody likes you, and when your also an Atheist, nobody likes you, and if your both, God help you, wink "God help you", lol, because, "we do not have a prayer," wink lol, "God help us we do not even have a prayer" lol or a snowballs chance in Hell, Merry Christmas yaw'll. P.S. I got absolutely zero friends, I live all alone in a godless universe, and it is getting pretty cold out here.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Don't feel bad, I've been banned three times, and I'm a liberal Democrat.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd say that means you're intended to be friends.  big_smile  No more living alone in a godless universe for Joseph.

19. LiamBean profile image80
    LiamBeanposted 11 years ago

Actually Festivus appeals to me. The airing of grievances and feats of strength are appealing.

20. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

My second post stated that I (personally) had always found the OP to be helpful and courteous in the forums.

21. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Okay, I have broken my pledge already and gotten caught up in gun debates. But nothing is ever solved and people keep a conversation going because they must have the last word. I am just as much to blame for that. Anyway, I seriously have to take time away from this forum for a while.

Things like what happened in Newtown shows me that society has to change and to me part of that must be to start caring more about people we don't know and working towards the change we want to see. Petty political arguments are just that... petty, useless and a waste of energy. Like Buffalo Springfield said " paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep, it starts when your always afraid, step out of line the man come and take you away." I will not live like that.  I know... let's all sing Kumbaya...

22. jamesbali profile image60
    jamesbaliposted 11 years ago

Yes, that's a good idea!

23. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"Put your hands up if you are tired of all the negativity in the forum"

There's negativity on the forums!?! I had no idea... big_smile

Seriously, I have an Avoid-Like-the-Plague list for all things negative.

Number one is Do-Not-Watch-the Evening-News.

Number two is stay the hell out of the R & P forums. I periodically fail at this one, but I keep trying.

1. Don Fairchild profile image71
      Don Fairchildposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't watch the news!  Isn't it a shame that multi billion dollar industries like news media are constantly looking for more and more sensationalistic bad news issues so that you will go and watch their news channel. 
      Which of course makes us more depressed and cynical.   Back before TV started to overload us with bad news, we were content with only what was going on in our small local world.

Bad news and sensationalism draws eyes. More watchers means more advertisers get their ads seen. More views means more ad dollars to the broadcaster. What's the best way to get more viewers?

Social media needs to come into play. Viewers need to insist on less speculation and more factual reporting. Stop the wild speculation and innuendo. It helps no one and the constant stress is taking its toll on all of us.

24. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 11 years ago

@ Paradigmsearch - How about do not watch the news!....any time of day smile

Not Exactly Wisdom Speaking!

25. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 11 years ago

Not Entertaining Without Sadness

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)