Has Anyone Hub Hopped Lately?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (102 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I started hub hopping tonight after taking a long break from it. I like to be encouraging and usually go light on people, but some of these hubs were so bad that I couldn't help but mark them down. There were about 5 awful ones and just 2 good ones. By then, I had enough and quit reading them.

I suggest that we all need to take turns hopping hubs. This garbage is going to drag all of our traffic down. I couldn't believe it. Some of them were only about 200 words long and just garbage.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's been a question I've been meaning to ask....  MTurk raters essentially use the hopper to rate.  I know that there are "control" hubs in our hopper that are specifically meant to be horrible to see if we'll catch it.  I wonder if those are in the HP hopper as well.

Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I should apply at MTurk. It doesn't sound like they pay very much money though. I don't think I could handle reading terrible hubs all day either.

They aren't all terrible.  Most are average.  There are actually quite a few that I would even call wonderful.  The bad ones can be entertaining as well, I've actually called hubby in for a few really unfortunate spinning word combinations.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I went and did some. Just for you. big_smile

Thanks paradigmsearch.

3. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am just amazed at some of these "Hubs".  Some are only published for advertisement purposes for a company.  Yes, some are very short and meaningless. 
      I would say I flag 2 out of 5 that I read for obvious reasons.

4. keirnanholland profile image60
      keirnanhollandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Someone needs to turn this thing into a solarsystem  interface like that iPad app for viewing music collections.. Lets see in proportion what each website is worth by the size of their planetoid..

http://mcjonline.com/www/hubpages.com

I'm sure there are better SEO assessment tools around, this site only ranks itself at like 300,000.. Hubpages is at like rank 350.. Which makes me wonder what the distribution of traffic is like among the top 500 sites.. Are we like the 1% or are we like .1%..

Hubpages is in berkeley?

For the record, 99 designs is like half the ad revenue rank as hub pages..
      But Pinterest is like 10 times hubpages.. Google is 8 billion dollars (or about 400 times the ad revenue of Hubpages) .. I wish I could find out which part of google is doing well.

5. Jenn-Anne profile image75
      Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I was pretty appalled. One half-decent hub for every five or six awful ones. Most of the bad ones I read appeared to have used translators or were spun - the wording was just really, really off. And one hub was three links to other sites and nothing more. Ouch!  Hopefully most of this stuff is getting caught and NOT getting published.

6. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Barbara Kay! Thanks so much for Hub Hopping! I cannot tell you how much this means to us.

IMPORTANT: Please do not go light on people, and don't go heavy either. Our Hopper tool regularly tests your accuracy with benchmark Hubs to see if we can actually trust/use your ratings, so the more honest/accurate you are, the more helpful your Hopping becomes.

Thanks again for doing this. We need all the Hub Hopping we can get!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone - quick question - does the Classic hopper have a tool like that (to tell if we are too hard, too soft, or just right, as in the Three Bears)?  Or is that only in the slider version?

I rarely use the slider - without an idea of what the system is looking for, I'm grading based on how I'd grade a term paper.  And, since I'm usually on the iPad, I just don't like the interface on that version. 

When I'm in the classic Hopper - I flag frequently, try to leave supportive comments for good hubs, and am fairly neutral if they're not great but not horrible enough to flag.  I mostly see it as a tool to flag low-quality work, because there's so much of it in any given ride there.

7. rfmoran profile image70
      rfmoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right Barbara. We should all hop a few hubs, at least until we get too nauseous to continue

8. Louise Lately profile image60
      Louise Latelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Barbara,
      I have hub hopped and it's sad to see so many mediocre hubs out there - although most hubs I come across amongst my community are brilliant, there just seems to be an abundance of crap out there.

9. Asp52 profile image78
      Asp52posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just hub hopped Three articles, Of the three, one of them was a rather interesting take on society and was written in a unique style I rather enjoyed. As for the other two ,I had to report them, the first one was plainly over promotional and a mass of text. The second one I reported was 49 words in length with a poll and a photograph and it was NOT creative writing or a Haiku - I was shocked by it! I have sent text messages longer! Maybe we should have a minimum word count for hubs that are not creative writing.

2. lindalou1963 profile image60
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

I just hopped about 20 hubs and some of them were ridiculous!

1. keirnanholland profile image60

I think it would be better if there was a way to somehow make it so people could suggest changes to an article, maybe annotate them.. Telling someone their article sucks doesn't really help them.. But if you know why it sucks, it might help them to redevelop the content.. I can only imagine that the crowd-sourcing model that is borrowed from 99 designs of criting people is only attracting people to the site that like to pick on others.. Is there a pattern here? Is this not unlike "hazing" or "cyber-bullying"?
      Cyber-bullying as a business model, what a concept..

Now you know why there are trolls..

I'm thinking about combining those sites where you say who is mo0re ugly, and combine it with Xhamster so we can really reduce people's self- esteem.. Hey maybe, we can get people to stop posting nude pictures of themselves.. I think that would be a great vehicle.. It would go right up there with my idea of using 512 MB of memory as bitmap to selectively black-list IP addresses.. Pretty soon the Internet becomes disconnected because server's are selectively approving of IP addresses to listen to..

2. MelissaBarrett profile image57

You can always comment on other peoples hubs.  Let them know all the problems that you find with them.  That would be really helpful.  Let me know how it works out for you.

1. Simone Smith profile image86

Hear hear! I'm glad you brought that up, MelissaBarrett!

2. keirnanholland profile image60

I sense sarcasm, but that may be because you are the one I had the fight the other night with..

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're correct to sense sarcasm.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do believe you're right.  Melissa can be a mean 'un, and I wanna grow up to be just like her.

1. profile image0

She's one of my heroes 'round these parts, that's for sure.  smile  I often wish I could speak my mind as plainly as she does.  I wonder sometimes if I possess a gift for diplomacy or the curse of cowardice.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
                  Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read posts more than write them, but normally find Melissa's comments to be on the mark. I hop now and then to get a picture of what people are writing about at the time, to make sure I'm not writing about something that's been covered to death. Also, I have seen hubs that are pretty good, but only about 200 words. I usually compliment the person and try to encourage them to expand on their thoughts a little more. I am surprised at the ones with terribly broken English. If people are not familiar with written English, isn't there a program to translate for them? Or I suppose that would not be so accurate. Women with relationship issues should be banned, unless they have learned something useful from said relationship. The "I was in love with him for one month, now I"m pregnant and homeless, and he acts like he doesn't care." That sort of thing. And then other women jump on in and commiserate with this misguided person with terrible judgment. We all make mistakes, but a writer's site isn't the place to discuss them unless it adds meaningful information we can learn from.

1. profile image0

OH.....Amen to that one!  I get tired of those sorts of things myself.  I think that's why I have such a hard time with poetry.  So much of it is a pouring out of one's soul over their latest lost love.  The good poetry on HubPages stands out in stark contrast to the crap, but there just isn't enough of it to excite me.

2. janshares profile image92
                    jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here, here. +1

I'm not mean. I like to think of it as verbal conciseness.

But we have a problem because I wanna grow up to be like you...

It will be a paradox.  It will rip time and space. 

Bah, I'm going to bed.  I can't even be clever right now.

wink

3. Paul Maplesden profile image76
        Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If I spot a hub when hopping that can be redeemed, I do leave comments and feedback to help the author out; you can only do this with the 'Classic' hopper though, the new one doesn't have access to the comments whilst hopping.

You do realize there's a pretty good chance that's eventually going to get you cussed out... right?

It goes with the territory, if someone cusses me out I just cuss back.. Look if you want flame wars, there is this very popular forum system for that called Usenet, it's the oldest digital and still active social network in the world, flame wars dating back into the 70s.. If you want flame wars, go there, if you want to learn something, write an  article, you always learn new  things writing articles for others. If people had flame wars on Usenet before the web, there is nothing that will prevent them from occuring elsewhere, as sure as Jerry Springer was a mayor at one time.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a … g-the-fold

1.  I wasn't talking to you.
              2.  I didn't say anything about a flame war.
              3.  I have no idea why Usenet is relevant.
              4.  I have no idea why pirating is relevant.
              5.  I'm not actually going to click on a link you post.  Ever.
              6.  What the hell does Jerry Springer have to do with anything?

I realize that you post stream of consciousness but seriously no one needs that much insight into your thought processes.

I need to find a firefox greasemonkey script that removes your postings from pages I find in hubpages so I don't get caught replying to them..

1. profile image0

You don't come across as very personable.  I don't say that to insult you, but you're quick to point things out about how others behave toward you, but it appears that you give little thought to how you behave toward others. 

I appreciate that you're new here - but apparently, you have quite a long history of internet forum use.  While this is a forum, it's also a community.  We try to be respectful to each other, no matter how passionate a discussion might get.

You seem to be way more concerned with just talking and talking without actually showing any interest in what anyone else might have to say.  Maybe an actual conversation with someone would help you feel more comfortable here?

Look, its only been a week, last night I raised a topic about being anti-abortion and she came out jumping on me as if I was a rapist, and it seems no matter where she is, you are, I've mind to think you are both the same person, how easy would that be? And even the fact that it seems I see so few people in forums, it leads me to believe this site isn't worth 20 million dollars, or why there is so few in forums is those trolling the forums have pissed off the ten thousand others that would be contributing if people were nicer to the guests.. This forum is like something out of serenity, Sorry if it seems like I'm outright attacking you but I have been rubbed very wrong here and you are the only two that come to mind. I don't like the tone that certain more senior members seem to pick on others like they have the right (eg. How many hubs you hopped? "I hopped 20, 18 really sucked, boy that must be weighing this site down." Note, the total content of HP is likely no more than a terrabyte, you could probably run the site from a single Xeon server.. I've yet to feel the immensity of this site, and people here act like its not worth their time.. Maybe I'm not seeing it right but that's my impression, so if Microsoft doesn't come along and dig this company out of debt, its no wonder. All this website has is its community, they leave and its no more valuable than a free mirror of Wikipedia and equally lame in its tenure of valuable volunteers errr moderators).    BY THE WAY people, if you want to make the real money get a box of puppies, videotape them for ten hours and throw it up on youtube, monetize it, you'll have better luck on that than any amount of knowledge that anyone can contribute here.

BTW if you have a problem with clicking on links you must be using Windows... I never have problems clicking on links in Linux..
                I feel sorry for the world that has to be concerned about clicking on links..

3. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I do hop hubs. Some of them are shocking. I flagged one today written in a different language. Isn't that clearly against the rules? I'm beginning to think that the really bad ones are controls like MelissaBarrett said about the mturk program. There's no way they are real.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Looks like I got lucky; about half was garbage (including one with four links but nothing else)  but everything else was quite good.  Not much in between.

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why doesn't HP have a garbage filter at outset so the really bad ones don't go to the Hopper/Mturk? Surely that would make sense. It is a waste of every one's time doing these - what is there to lose from this approach (a software test)?

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Why and how would a hub get past first base not written in English? Unless of course it's a contol. But you're right, janderson, our time is very valuable.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most of what I flagged was extremely short - 200 words or less - and it would seem that those could be caught by software easy enough.  Yes, there would have to be a built in exception for poetry and such, but that shouldn't be too hard.  Should it?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of poetry - there can be crap poetry, too. Usually I ignore poetry, but I have flagged a few (very few) for their painfully obvious efforts to sound intellectual or artistic through liberal (and often inappropriate) uses of obscure words.  Those poems read like class assignments in a poetry course.

Another thing I see often are term papers that have been converted to hubs.  I know those are good candidates for future hubs, but they're too often written like a report, and very often loaded into HP with either no photo, or only one photo, and only one text capsule.  Many need to be massaged before they're going to be good hubs.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
              FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a big fan of poetry in general...so I usually skip right over poetry hubs, but on the rare occasion that I don't, most of what I do read makes me want to stick a fork in my eye.

+1

I'm probably going to get slammed for this but I'm going to say it anyway.

I won a ton of poetry competitions when I was younger (teens and twenties).  It took me four years of college to realize that I sucked.  The people judging those contests sucked equally. I could likely still write poems that would still win competitions.  I know I could write crap that would get published in the "literary" journals that are listed (usually for only a year or two) in the Writer's Market.  My five month old could get published on the poetry sites online by slamming his rattle off the keyboard a few times.

1.  I believe that vampire erotica poetry can be well-written by exactly one person in this world.  I have no idea who that person would be, but I'm fairly certain they don't write on HP.

2.  I have a cat.  I don't even like my own cat, I surely don't want to read a two-hundred word epic poem (rhyming of course) about Mr. Fluffy.  Robert Frost couldn't pull that off.  There is ONE poet on HP who is high caliber enough to try.  They haven't yet.

3.  Yes I know Jesus saves.  He apparently saves over and over and over again.  I LOVE religious poetry.  I have no idea why but I always have...  BUT the "Jesus reached out his hand and touched my heart" thing is cliche.  Really.

4.  Haiku isn't just counting syllables.  If you think that 5-7-5 is all there is to it then don't write it.  Period.  It's not Haiku.  Any idiot can count out 17 syllables. Hint: Your cat and/or vampires REALLY shouldn't be involved here.  Jesus shouldn't be either.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
                  DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was slammed in a question just for mentioning that poetry is not a good income earner. I can imagine the anger your great comment is causing among the poetry cadre here on HP.

1. mattforte profile image87
                    mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry DrMark. I get slammed on an almost daily basis for making that same statement. But I keep on truckin, this isn't LiveJournal....and the more Google sees HP as a content farm, the less us "earners" will make.

Anybody that slams people for writing needs to play videogames, I get more frustrated over losing in a videogame than I do over things like football, gun control or people's fine points about writing.. I guess whatever you feel more strongly about is where your groin is, sooner or later someone is going to kick it and it may be someone who really didn't even realize you were sensitive there.. I've found that writing articles in forums here is like a minefield, pretty soon someone is going to take you serriously.. People get your psych meds,  I only have this much trouble around people with bipolar. It's like one can do no right.. But actually, writing anything in the forums is futile unless you are trying to make friends.. Being an introvert, I prefer to just write hubs more.. At least I don't get chewed out there.. And even if I did, I don't have to permit someone to have their post being seen.. I'm used to having people post whatever they want on youtube, it doesn't make for productive conversation, but  if I want to I can always be an ass and turn off ratings and comments per posting..  Note, youtube has no forums area does it? If there is I never noticed..

2. mattforte profile image87

+1

You just made my day.

5. EsmeSanBona profile image96
    EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years ago

I haven't hub hopped in a few weeks, but good grief, I know what you mean.  I, too, try to be generous but some of these hubs are either incoherent, blatant self-promos, spam, and some a just written in jibbersih.  Even the ones that were coherent were just as you said a couple hundred word or so or just not up to standard--and I try to keep my standards fair and not neo-nazish.

6. daisydayz profile image85
    daisydayzposted 11 years ago

I did a few a while ago, but had the same problem there were just so many rubbish ones. I actually didn't get approved on the Mturk! I was too harsh on them I think. Ill go have a nise at a few now for you!!

7. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

I "hop" from time to time. I will admit that it gives me a certain amount of sadistic pleasure when I flag a crap Hub.

8. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

I was hopping today and there were a LOT of articles that had a decent first paragraph, but the rest of the article was spun. One was on baby cries and had complete gibberish in the explanatory text. Another was on pre-nups and had the following sample text:  "If you ruminate that writing up details on how your assets and wealth will be divided will be a be magnetic when you are in love..."

Honestly, so many were spun garbage. I haven't hopped in a while and it was sort of depressing. I often use the hopper to flag really bad hubs (spun articles, purely personal, etc) and I prefer the classic hopper for that purpose. I don't want to "rate" the hub if it's pure garbage - I just want to flag it, submit a text sample from the hub, and move on.

9. LauraD093 profile image72
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

When I hop I try to be fair. I did  5 yesterday and the topics (3 of 5 were medical) were not something I would normally read i.e. How the kidney functions.They weren't bad but boring regardless 2 had really excellent organization and grammar. I myself am trying to improve the organization of some of my former hubs and the best way to see how to do it really well or truly terrible is to hub-hop.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This highlights how subjective any rating will be. I do not believe any rating system will be truly objective. It will always mirror the prejudices and ignorance that will inevitably be found among the raters. I use the terms ignorance and prejudice, because nobody today can be a truly renaissance human being with an active interest in and knowledge of all subjects.

Some people find medical hubs boring, but if written properly these require a lot of knowledge, research and the ability to make technical language understandable to ordinary people.

I personally find the most boring subjects to read about include paeans glorifying brain-dead celebrities, fatuous "inspirational" or "motivational" drivel written by unemployed life coaches, and doggerel that shows no understanding of the principles or rhyme and metre, let alone any aesthetic sensibility.

Doctors reading medical hubs best be spending their time getting CME credit than hanging out reading articles on this site or they'll get slammed with a malpractice suit someday and whatever they thought was their career is toast.

By the way , To understand what sells you only need to pay a visit to your local supermarket, the way the store is structured  speaks volumes about  what people prefer and buy. I was employed by a dot-com a decade ago, the focus was information sales, about.com was a block down the street from us, it got 24 million funding from VC's, i checked back a year after I left and their primary market was phone sex and psychic help hotlines.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ahem, if you had read what you quoted from me, I wrote:
          "Some people find medical hubs boring, but if written properly these require a lot of knowledge, research and the ability to make technical language understandable to ordinary people ."

Ergo, I was referring to hubs written by people who understand medical jargon for the purpose of clarifying medical topics to lay people who do not understand the jargon.

And before you ask, no I am not a doctor, nor do I make any claims to being one. I do however have a PhD in biomedicine, a postgraduate diploma in information studies and many years experience of dealing with and producing medically-related information. I therefore deal with the underlying knowledge concerning certain medical topics, summarise the state of the art as recorded in the medical journal literature, and do not make any statements or recommendations concerning diagnosis and/or treatment of individual cases.

10. heidithorne profile image92
    heidithorneposted 11 years ago

I just Hub Hopped a few days ago to see what it was all about. Dear God, were some of them bad! Some were pointless posts that read like a Yellow Pages listing. But there were a few that were fantastically organized and written.

Like hilariously inappropriate and awkward spam comments on my blog (that, thankfully, Akismet plugin catches), I'll be Hub Hopping for just the comedic entertainment value.

That being said, there does need to be enough oversight so that HP doesn't get a reputation as a junk content farm. Since I'm relatively new to HP (used to be on another content site), I love the business model and am looking forward to working more with it in the future.

11. RolyRetro profile image72
    RolyRetroposted 11 years ago

I quite enjoy hopping, like FatFreddie there is a sadistic joy in flagging the true crap, the spammers, the blatant affiliate marketeers hawking their tawdry wares...  We should all do it and help keep hubpages a better place to be.  When I spend so much time and effort on my hubs, why should these muppets benefit?

12. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 11 years ago

I love to hop, though I haven't done one since after Christmas. But it is obvious that most of those hubs are just for promotional purposes. Most lack clarity of message, while some are just pure porn. They don't belong here on HP. So, yeah I do flag those. It's like spring cleaning, of to the garbage if it's not useful content.

13. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Come on Get Hopping!

http://www.a1niches.com/hopping.jpg

14. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

This is the kind of hub that is now rated as 'quality' on HP:

http://jackiewilliam.hubpages.com/hub/t … ollection2

Go rate it up.  Magically for a writing site, you can even create one of these without using words.

1. Relationshipc profile image88
      Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How does that page even have a page rank? That is ridiculous.

2. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ratings:
      1-2  too light
      3-perfect hub
      4-10 way too heavy

So CMHpno, I guess this one was rated at a 3...

A 3 is perfect? That's what I rated some bad ones. I guess I didn't do such a good job.

1. profile image0

Barbara, I was taking a jab at the system. Maybe a bit unfairly, but maybe with a tad of truth.

3. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't resist:  unbelievable!

4. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

CMHypno.......Had I stumbled upon this Hub (?) right after getting out of bed.....I'd have realized I was sleep-walking, and gone back to my bed.   Good one.

1. profile image0

Ha!smile Where do you tend to sleepwalk.

2. vocalcoach profile image93
        vocalcoachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just flagged this.  Holy moly !

1. fpherj48 profile image59
          fpherj48posted 11 years agoin reply to this

HI Audrey!!   Is the "Holy Moly," for the Hub or this kid's BODY?   LOL!   I may be old, but' I'm not yet dead.    However, this is a "lay-out," or portfolio...NOT a hub!

15. bizarrett81 profile image69
    bizarrett81posted 11 years ago

That is "quality"?? Well, there goes a bit of my hope that I could be taken seriously on here, knowing that other people can just take a bunch of images that belong to someone else and make a "quality" hub.  And the men are not even that good looking lol.

16. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I agree that the weedy adolescents featured do not even give a smidgeon of viewing pleasure!

I used to flag loads of hubs like that for low quality. Most of them were not taken down.

Now that HP staff have explained that flagging only removes hubs that break ToS, but does not affect low quality ones, I understand why my efforts at flagging often had no results.

Still, it gives me more time to do other things instead now smile

1. bizarrett81 profile image69
      bizarrett81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

haha "weedy adolescents featured do not even give a smidgeon of viewing pleasure"
      that is so funny and perfect.

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Hey WriteAngled!

Just to be clear, we checked to see what happens with the Hubs you flag, and it looks like your flags *are* quite effective.

We also wanted to make it clear that moderators take action on many of the low quality reports Hubbers submit (44% in the past 11 days), so the effort of those who are familiar with our ToS (much like yourself, apparently) is not wasted. smile

17. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

I hub hop every few days and find some good ones I enjoy and leave comments on - Vote them up etc ,  I don't read any thay I am not interested in.

18. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Oh, that's good to know, Simone!

I got very demotivated on the flagging issue. Perhaps it was taking longer than I assumed for flags to be processed.

19. Gail Meyers profile image63
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

I have been hub hopping tonight and reading to very good hubs.

20. Gail Meyers profile image63
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

That would be "reading some very good hubs."

21. SylviaSky profile image94
    SylviaSkyposted 11 years ago

I have just come from Hub hopping and agree with Jean, that there are too many articles on certain subjects, usually relationships and religion, which require no research to write and present no facts, only anecdotes. What happened to HubPages' requirement to write "content-rich" articles? Choosing to allow "creative writing" was not a good decision for HubPages, either. About 50 percent of new Hubs are creative writing and I can't imagine any of them at #1 on Google.

+1

I've been going on about this forever, and get into arguments about it daily. About time people who agree finally start coming out of the woodwork.

1. Gail Meyers profile image63
        Gail Meyersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First of all, I agree there are some really low quality hubs and some of what I would consider silly titles.  However, I have also read many excellent hubs on many topics.  Having said that, not everyone gets online to read research paper style hubs.  I do not assume that since a hub is not of interest to me or even if I disagree with the content, that it fails to be "content-rich" and start complaining about it.  Secondly, what in the world would cause someone to state that a hub on relationships or religion necessarily requires no research?  Do people hold degrees in psychiatry, psychology, theology, philosophy, etc., because the topics are worthless to the human race and should not even be allowed to exist on HP?  Relationship issues and religion are huge, huge factors in many people's lives.  Thirdly, many do, but not everyone writes in order to rank #1 on Google.  Some write because they enjoy writing.

And that is what Livejournal is for.

HP is a monetization website. There is a reason hubs go "idle" - it is because those "low quality" hubs (And by low quality, I mean things people don't and won't search for..not just hubs that are poorly ranked) drag down the overall authority of the domain, causing Google to see us as a "content farm" which hurts those of us who DO want to make money here.

Box of puppies on youtube will make you more money.

I'm sure I could sell more in Funny quotes about HP to idle members of HP than make money on this site. Consider that as a way to win over community members, it worked for Texas A&M with all its  aggie jokes. How many HP users does it take to screw in a light bulb? 2, one to attempt it and the other to turn the stool.

3. Gail Meyers profile image63

You built a strawman just to knock him down.  My point is that you are assuming that writing on relationships or religion makes HP a "content farm."  That is an unfounded assumption.  Writing on relationships or religion does not necessarily mean a hub is low quality, did not require research or does not receive traffic.  There are forums dedicated to both topics, too.  So it appears HP realizes there are many well researched, well written hubs on both topics, as well as plenty of traffic.  I know several hubbers who write exclusively on these topics.  Their writer scores are in the 90's, their hubs rank well and they receive plenty of traffic.

4. Gail Meyers profile image63

I guess following that reasoning then gardening hubs belong in gardening magazines instead of on HP, hubs on health or medical conditions belong in medical journals instead of on HP, etc.  LOL  If you want to complain, complain about low quality hubs without labeling entire topics based on nothing other than your own bias.

That response makes no sense in relevance to the comment. People in this community get so worked up when their relevance is questioned!
              There was a time when I wrote things on HP that weren't "searched for" topics as well. Rather than getting offended by the honest criticism of the content that my work fell I to...I learned, and now I make far more here than I expected to be making in this timeframe. It isn't bias, it is simple knowledge about how the internet works and how it has evolved since the days of GeoCities and animated GIFs.
              I have sense moved my other work to other places, where it is more relevant and doesn't risk bringing down my sub domain, or contribute to lowering the quality of the HP domain as a whole wink

It's called drama, its why women read romance novels. Note the highly monetized information sources you can find near the cash register of any super market, it is gossip and romance.. Now religion is controversial, but  what I said above, you likely won't find it selling in a supermarket, maybe on the outside.

22. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

Lately Iv'e been flagging more hubs than ever before.  One hub had a short opening paragraph and the entire page had about14 pictures all in a row. I, too, found one  written in a different language. Interesting.  Wondering where some of these come from?

Wow.  Once in a while when I hop hubs I run into several that make me think...hmmm...lol.  Overall, I have read some very good ones.

23. Asp52 profile image78
    Asp52posted 11 years ago

I had also found one written entirely in a different language to English, it puzzled me a bit!

24. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

When you say hub hop, do you just mean going into explore, clicking on hubs and then just looking at any hub that interests you or is there another way? When you say vote down, do you mean the thumbs down sign?

Hub hopping is using the "hub hopper."  Hubs in the hub hopper are newly published.  You will see the option when you first sign on or at least that is when I see it.  Voting down is the thumbs down icon.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I tried a few, I didn't really enjoy it. hmm

25. heidithorne profile image92
    heidithorneposted 11 years ago

Hello Beth37! On your account page near the top, you'll see a link for Hop Some Hubs. It's different than wandering around the Hub-universe. Typically the posts in the Hub Hop feature are anonymous so that you can evaluate them objectively. It's pretty interesting. Do try it out.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks! smile

26. xionnguyen profile image60
    xionnguyenposted 11 years ago

I hop around the hub sometime whenever i have spare minutes to do critic

27. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the correction.  And I'm all "laid out" after " the viewing - twice"  smile  Gee, it's hot in here!  Does that make me a cougar? Pant-pant.

28. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

People in this community get so worked up when their relevance is questioned!

haha, Im pretty sure that's more a human thing than a HP's thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)