Have you gained weight since writing on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (62 posts)
  1. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

I can only speak for myself but I think I've got a case of the Hubpages Spread! What's that you say? The Hubpages spread is the 10 lbs you put on after spending super long hours writing and posting hubs- plus editing old ones. I've developed the baaaaaad habit of scarfing down food while at my work desk.

Oh I'm not complaining. I do love it here! But I need to do a better job of building in self-care time. Winters coming and I don't want my spread to turn into a Macy's day float!

So ... have you bloated out?

smile

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

misterhollywood,
      (my political style of answer) . . .Well, now I can answer that one or two ways. It depends on what you mean by bloating, or was it boating? I guess I can
      answer, some, and in the summer, the heat mixed with the stress of
      trying to hit my pay-out, well, I lose some poundage then.
      Next question.
      Yes, you in the University of Michigan sweater.

misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is a total riot! I am wearing a mega-sweater now! LOL

2. lady rain profile image92
      lady rainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was battling with a few kilos during my first year with Hubpages. I was able to save up my HP earnings for a few months and got myself an elliptical trainer machine. It has helped shed off the extra kilos. Best thing I've ever bought with my Hubpages income. cool

I should use my HP money to buy some cardio equipment. That is a good idea!

3. relache profile image74
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  I'm about thirty pounds lighter now.

4. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I follow the Royal Canadian Air Force Eleven Minute Exercise Plan. It really does take only eleven minutes a day, and keeps me in perfect shape no matter how sedentary my activities. I like to do it in the evening before dinner. I don't diet, but I drink plenty of water, and have two planned snacks of an apple between meals.

5. gaymuscleandlove profile image78
      gaymuscleandloveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh I have gained weight but it's not all from HP. Most of it has to do with my addiction to chocolate cake and bon bons!

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

MrH - must you expose our little hubber secrets - really !  LOL  lol  I do not like to go there, but since you pried .... I mean tried to start a conversation, yes, I have gained a little weight, sad  but only a little. 

Now, I must take some scheduled breaks to walk and get some fresh air.  Only problem is, we do not have fresh air with the California wild fire that hopped up into the Tahoe National Forest ... our valley is full of smoke.  I guess I can walk around my apartment a few times a day.

7. Lissa Ree profile image60
      Lissa Reeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Winter is coming!! (:

I just joined HubPages two days ago. I'm still sort of aimlessly floating around but I am confident I will like it here. As long as the 10lbs goes right to my chest, I won't mind the extra weight. Plus winter is cold, dude; I could really use the insulation.

When Dunkin Doughnuts starts delivering, that is when I will require an intervention.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
        LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol. Welcome to hp Lissa.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
          tirelesstravelerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great comment, I must remember winter is cold and extra insulation is good.

8. Tuan Tran Anh profile image35
      Tuan Tran Anhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nice day for you! thank you for sharing! I like this post!

9. Thomas Swan profile image97
      Thomas Swanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what Hubpages Spread tastes like on a sandwich..

Cheesey in flavor and sometimes sour:)

10. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Totally. I've exercised my mind while filling my body full of alcoholic drinks.

2. pateluday profile image51
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

As a content writer and seo I spend long hours on PC. Writing and editing hubs means long hours. Take a break in between to save your eyes and back.

I do painting in between, there are other things that could be done. Snacking is okay if you spend considerable time in preparation. You spend energy in the process,

3. Michael Kismet profile image90
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

I know exactly what you're talking about, I just finished my 41st hub, while snacking, AND watching television..it's only been 11 weeks, and I'm gaining a couple of pounds. I like to get up every 15-20 minutes and just stretch, do some push ups, sitting too long is 'no bueno'. That would be a good idea for a hub, "How to Mitigate Weight Gain as a Hubber"  You should write that, Hollywood.

I might just do that!!! Thanks for idea.smile

4. Jodah profile image93
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I started to put on a little weight Mr Hollywood, but I have a son who is a personal trainer so he put me on a program and I've lost the extra few pounds.

Does your son blog on HP - maybe he can offer us some tips!!! smile

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I was a chunky monkey long before I came to HP....

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I ♥ Chunky Monkey!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11779280.jpg

I swear I JUST picked this up from the store. Yum!! LOL

2. Cardisa profile image86
        Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMG, I have to try that if I can find it in my local supermarket!

6. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 9 years ago

I don't need to worry about gaining weight because of all the time I spend sitting in front of a computer writing hubs and doing other stuff. That is because I write hubs about building muscle and losing fat. Dieting, exercising and relaxing are part of my research.

Since I started writing hubs I became taller, gave myself a broader back, flattened my belly, increased the size of my forearms, etc. The only problem is that it can take a really long time to finish the research. Currently for research I am doing a workout routine to see how good it is for increasing the size of my triceps and shoulders.

Sometimes I let myself gain fat or lose muscle on purpose. I can't test to see if something works well for losing fat unless I have extra fat to lose.

7. CassandraCae profile image83
    CassandraCaeposted 9 years ago

i gain weight in winter and lose it in summer

I can be seasonal too - darn, fall is here!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We can all keep a bowl of apples and pears by the computer. But will we eat them?

8. LisaMarieGabriel profile image85
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years ago

I can totally see where you are coming from with this question smile In my own case I broke my ankle at the end of April and only very recently was able to walk again without crutches. I expected to gain weight like crazy as I am usually fairly active (apart from writing time on the computer) but the trade off for immobility was that I couldn't snack and at home I am a grazer when working. Other people were cooking too which meant healthy food and smaller portions as they knew I was worried about my weight. I have gone down two sizes on my waist and hips since then. So I guess the moral is, break a leg and you won't suffer from Hubbers' Waist!

9. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Yes, I have gained weight. It is not much only 3 kilos but I still want to get rid of it.

I don't like to get crumbs in the keyboard. But I do admit to taking ice cream breaks when I write at night. Hmm, come to think of it, what happened to my exercise routine?

I love what you wrote Jean! LOL!!!!

2. MarieLB profile image74
      MarieLBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It would take me forever and a day to get rid of 3 kgs.  Obviously you are far more strong willed than I am!

10. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

Well, I certainly haven't LOST any.  When I'm searching for an idea, I look for it in the frig!  I did try writing standing up which they say is a way to burn calories. I started putting the laptop on top of the kitchen "island" and trying to type that way.That lasted a few days until I laid the computer on a wet sink.

I try to sit on "my seat" sideways so that the muscles on the left side and on the right side get a little firm. I also try that old fashioned isotonic or whatever they called tightening your muscles internally "back in the day". 

Fidgeting helps, I hear.  So while I'm typing I try to become a little ADHD and giggle my foot or open or close a desk drawer or three.  It's a scene right out of some slapstick silent comedy right here in my 400 sq ft. RV which, by the way, rocks back and forth when I DO get restless - an added fat-burning feature, I figure.

11. MarieLB profile image74
    MarieLBposted 9 years ago

So long as yuo have enjoyed the chockies, misterhollywood, then all's well.  Chocolate is good for you.  It is made from a plant (vegetables see?!)

Yes - and they have flavonoids! I'm starting to see the light!!! smile

1. MarieLB profile image74

That sounds a positive thought to me. . . .Ha!Ha!!

12. Maggie.L profile image84
    Maggie.Lposted 9 years ago

I don't think I've gained weight, but I'm definitely less fit. I try to take a break now from Hubpages about midday and go for a run or do a workout.

I need to do a better job of taking breaks on a regular basis!

13. tirelesstraveler profile image59
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

When I first started with HP I was at the gym 4 days a week. I don't get there nearly so often anymore.  I gained weight then found out I was gluten intolerant and lost it.  I have also lost weight this summer, but I haven't been writing because I have been adventuring all summer. I should say I have been doing research smile  Yes weight gain is definitely a hazard of writing.

Have you switched now to GF? Hoes that been? Did it help?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image59
        tirelesstravelerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

GF sucks.  I watched my husband eat the most delectable turkey, ham and  Swiss cheese sandwich on sourdough bread this afternoon.  I had a wonderful salad, but I surely miss sourdough bread.                     I itch when I get gluten and it's everywhere.
        Drink lots of water and eat good quality protein to curb the munchies while writing before going GF.

14. Elderberry Arts profile image93
    Elderberry Artsposted 9 years ago

I am a snacker while I write as well :-/ defiantly a few extra pounds gone on especially now I am not doing the school run twice a day either.

15. profile image0
    mothersofnationsposted 9 years ago

I've lost weight but it wasn't weight I wanted to lose lol I guess I become so indulged in reading and writing that I don't think about eating hmm
    God bless!

Gee!, I wish my body reacted that way to stress.  Poor me, oh woe me!!  My body just cries for comfort - comfort food that is! 

Lucky you.

16. Adventuretravels profile image87
    Adventuretravelsposted 9 years ago

I have written a hub about walking! I try to go for an hour's walk as many times as possible during the week. Sometimes I manage 3 times sometimes I can't go at all -but it certainly helps with this spreading computer bum!! Try it!

Walking is a cheap and easy way to keep in shape, good cardio. I see a lot of Ben and Jerry's here. They have a line of Frozen yogurt in a few flavors, like my fave Cherry Garcia. I wish they would make it in more flavors, it tastes great. It has half the fat, so you can eat twice as much and try to rationalize it away.

Walking is a great way to stay fit. It also helps to clear the mind a bit as a break from writing.

17. MarieLB profile image74
    MarieLBposted 9 years ago

Seems to me that most Hubbers have a choice in this, but I do not seem to.  I have no choice but to fit many more tasks during the day apart from sitting at the keyboard.

I have no choice but to care for the house and garden, clean the car (which seems to positively attract dirt), take care of my lovely dog Goldie, take her and the neighboring dog for walks [not enough], respond to the neighbors' calls when they need to have a chat . . .

I have long worked out that if I alternate the sitting jobs with the activity tasks, it would be better for my body.

But, what am I going on about here?  Am I saying that clever me has beaten the bulge?  Ha!Ha!!  No way.  Despite all the above, I still have a problem with dipping into the yoghurt, the icecream, and the fruit that is always so handy!  And believe me, even lo-fat yoghurt and fresh fruit can put on weight, if you indulge too much!!lol

There is one good thing I get from this conversation.  I am not alone in this!  Thank you all for sharing! smile

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on the fresh fruit! Everyone is raving about fresh coconut, and rarely does anyone mention how much fat it has. And papaya. And passion fruit. And bananas, watermelon, grapes, guava, pineapple, açerola cherries, etc, etc.
      All that dog walking does not seem to matter.

I Ned to keep more fresh fruit around!

I eat fruit because I like it.  I am not too keen on vegies when cooked.  But #misterhollywood you will need to read what #DrMark1961 has said about fruit.

It is healthier than icecream or doughnuts, but it also puts on weight!  Don't I know it!!  smile

18. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

In my case any weight gain is offset by the hair loss from pulling it out in the angst of writing.  It's my process.

19. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

The Hubpages Spread is a result of anyone who works on the computer for a living...I guess we can also call it
    "The Writers Spread"... or we can try using the treadmill desk
    wink

Hi #Stacie L.  Treadmill desk huh!  So I can wfige - Oh sorry, I meant  'write' - while running on the xpof- just a typo there.  Meant 'spot'.

Yes, I can see it is the way for very interesting articles. . .hee! hee!!  smile

2. misterhollywood profile image91

I'm tired of looking at my spread:) lol

20. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 9 years ago

haha that's funny, I thought of getting one of those treadmill things , however i have found x box connect to be an awesome way to exercise and have fun at the same time. So for me , I take breaks from the internet and play games , works out really well smile

Lucky you.  Sounds like Fun Unlimited for you then! smile

21. KarenTBTEN profile image75
    KarenTBTENposted 9 years ago

No, it hasn't. I have to be careful about doing the wrong sort of nibbling, but not because of weight. The activity on Hubpages and the forums prompted me to consume a number of chocolate covered expresso beans a short time ago... but being as how I'm me, it's my teeth I have to be concerned about.

I need to think of my choppers too! Good point.

22. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

Hey everyone,

This was such a hot topic, I decided to create a hub about it. Hope you enjoy!

<link snipped>

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)