If you could magically change one thing about your writing ...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. misterhollywood profile image92
    misterhollywoodposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12563443.jpg
    If you held in the palm of your hand one magic wish that could only be used to change one thing about your writing, what would it be?

Abracadabra - poof!!

1. MichalWrotter profile image60
      MichalWrotterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It would be my grammar. It sucks! lol

1. Pam Morris profile image80
        Pam Morrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you not happy with your grammar it a lot of software, that will assist you with your grammar. Invest in yourself and enjoy writing. Bad grammar poof be gone, better writing

2. misterhollywood profile image92
        misterhollywoodposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would pick grammar too!

2. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A change in my writing would be a change in me. It's my voice you're talking about. So I'd wish for the ability to understand exactly how my writing makes an average reader think and feel as I'm writing it.

Then I could change my writing until it came as close to making my readers think and feel what I'm trying to get across as possible.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85
        Billie Kelpinposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kylyssa,  You might know that I'm a writer who barely reads, so I haven't read your hubs.  BUT  first of all, I simply love your view of life that I glean on the questions/answers section of hubpages.  Second of all,   I just ran over to your hubs and clicked on Chapter 2 of your science fiction.  I picked the science fiction because that's where I think voice shows up the most and where the average reader "feels" something.  Just  from reading a few paragraphs, this is what THIS reader thinks and feels.  I felt a great comedic sense to your tone in this story.  It made me smile. At the same time,, there is a very intellectual tone to your writing in the few paragrahs I read.  Your writing is smart, logical with a playful element.  I LOVE it.  BTW, did you put all your homeless articles into an ebook?  On a brief glance, it seems to me that you might get even a wider audience (you can't get a higher score !!!) with an ebook.  Of course, the science friction episodes easily become a book. ( At one point, I emailed the staff and I THOUGHT they told be that once you publish here, you can publish under different formats like ebooks, etc.  I should check that out again.)  I love your writing and your thinking.  I'm not a professional, but I say, "Don't change a thing! "

1. Kylyssa profile image90
          Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow. Thank you for your insight. You've given me much to think about and really brightened my mood.

2. misterhollywood profile image92

I love the deep thoughts here - truly. At its core, change in us is the "magic"

3. erorantes profile image52
      erorantesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My wish will be to know exactly the perfect topic for my hubs that absolutely, no one else know.

Oh God I would love that wish too! Actually, my wish would be that all of my hubs went viral. Ha

4. Bredavies profile image62
      Bredaviesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My actual signature. It honestly sucks. haha

I love that you wrote this!

5. classicalgeek profile image83
      classicalgeekposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My wish would be that as soon as I think of an article or ebook topic, it would be magically written for me. I could cross hundreds of things off my to-do list.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

"I notice that you use plain, simple language, short words and brief sentences. That is the way to write English - it is the modern way and the best way. Stick to it; don't let fluff and flowers and verbosity creep in. When you catch an adjective, kill it. No, I don't mean utterly, but kill most of them - then the rest will be valuable. They weaken when they are close together. They give strength when they are wide apart. An adjective habit, or a wordy, diffuse, flowery habit, once fastened upon a person, is as hard to get rid of as any other vice."
    - Mark Twain in a Letter to D. W. Bowser, 20 March 1880

I will stand by Twain's thoughts here, since I tend to get too "flowery" at times. Good question Mr.H.

I love this Phyliss - great quote!

3. Glenis Rix profile image94
    Glenis Rixposted 8 years ago

I try to avoid using too many adverbs - as advised by the tutor on a creative writing course. Also, I try to avoid conjunctions, such as and, which tend to make my sentences too long.

Adverb :-  a word or phrase that modifies the meaning of an adjective, verb, or other adverb, expressing manner, place, time, or degree (e.g. gently, here, now, very ). Some adverbs, for example sentence adverbs, can also be used to modify whole sentences.

I can relate to what you said about adverbs and conjunctions big time!

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Stephen King has said to delete any word that ends in ly. They would all be adverbs.

4. Pam Morris profile image80
    Pam Morrisposted 8 years ago

Interesting question, If I had magical abilities to change one thing about my writing it would be writers block. At times, I get writers block and it hard for me to put my writing into words or write fascinating articles. I would say writers block poof be gone to exist no more. I would be able to enjoy doing what I love to do, and that write interesting articles without struggling to come up with the words.

Pam I wish I had several wishes so I could pick the writer' block one too! Horrible when it sets in!

I know I go through it off and on and sometimes it gives me the blues

5. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I wish my writing was more complex and technically stronger. In some aspects, a simpler language is more accessible but it's quite limiting. I really should keep a thesaurus handy at all times.

Chris, do you think it will improve over time? I am thinking it might with more articles/hubs on those types of topics.

6. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

Why wish for things one can get with practice or by analyzing and editing one's writing? If you have a magical wish, why not go for something that requires magic or something that requires immense effort?

Well, we need to have some kind of fun. Ha:)

7. firstcookbooklady profile image83
    firstcookbookladyposted 8 years ago

If I HAD a palm full of magic dust and I had ONE wish... I would wish for MORE DUST

yeah.. but that's me....

Lol, well thought out.  You will have more than one wish, wise choice.

8. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

Thank you for this question.  It helps us define what we really want in our writing.  Since I prefer personal essay and short story writing, I wish I could magically change my mind to come up with metaphors and figurative language faster.  I'm in love with language.  My dream would be to write the perfect quotable quote within my writing.  "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield..."  "sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care..." "the quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as a gentle rain from heaven upon the earth beneath"  "he who has a why to his existence can bear with almost any how". "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity..." "it is a tale told my an idiot, signifying nothing.   I adore, absolutely ADORE that kind of juxtaposition of words.  There, I said it, I just want to be like the giants of literature (That's all).
    I wish, wish, wish my mind would work faster AND I'd also love to be able to write comedically - again wishing for a faster mind. 
    I don't like writing the journalistic type article at all - so I don't write often here and when I do; it's like pulling out my own teeth.  But I come here for the statistics and stay for the camaraderie.

Hi, Billie,

I really enjoyed reading this response. I can tell it resonated with you on some level.

PS I love your writings!

9. bwhite062007 profile image89
    bwhite062007posted 8 years ago

If I could magically change one thing about my writing it would be...that I had more time to do it!!

Not that I don't have grammar issues, or the all too common writer's block etc...because I most certainly do. It's just that my biggest issue is that I would love more time to dedicate to my writing, editing, proofreading,  and publishing to get my work out there. Bring on the magic dust!

Hi, BW,

Ah yes - more time. Oh I wish I had that too. There is only so much we can "time manage" so to speak in order to have enough time to actually do it.

I love the magic dust picture myself. Ha!

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would learn how to be a better fiction writer. I've been looking into courses. I might still write about Astrology, but have tried a few pieces with fictional characters and put them in situations that someone of their sign might be likely to find themselves in. I want to develop them better.

I love this idea! I'm sure you would be great at it Jean! Actually those kinds of stories could help people a lot!

10. NatNat34 profile image76
    NatNat34posted 8 years ago

I wish that I would take a little time each day to write...get into the habit more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)