What's the meaning of your username?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Ahmed Med profile image60
    Ahmed Medposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7436268_f248.jpg
    Ahmed: is an Arabic name which means 'the praised for good character and conduct' also' the thankful to God (Allah)'.
    Med: i study medicine .
    what about you?

1. studentsage profile image61
      studentsageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, for this site, I just chose something that related to what I was going to post and wasn't already taken.

On the other hand, on a different site, my username is PinkiedPurple. I have minor circulation problems, and my hands get cold sometimes.

My pinkies turn purple.

2. thesingernurse profile image75
      thesingernurseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"thesingernurse" is my Hubpages username.

While I'm a nurse by profession, I'm a singer-songwriter by heart and craft. smile

3. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lybrah is another way to spell Libra, as in the astrological sign. Back in the day, when I signed up, Libra was already taken and I didn't want to be Libra2345, so I changed the spelling.

4. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For some reason it didn't occur to me to figure out a user name other than my real name. If I had browsed the site more before I signed up I might have noticed that most people have more creative names.

2. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

I chose to go with my name. That's because I'd rather people connect to the real me. I find it very hard to get to know people via the internet if they are something other than their name as their user names. I think being real is important even online. Otherwise the internet can be a little impersonal don't you think?

3. SoundNFury profile image82
    SoundNFuryposted 11 years ago

I took mine from Shakespeare "Life is a tale told by an idiot -- full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

I really love music and I like the combo of sound and fury big_smile

4. profile image0
    flagostomosposted 11 years ago

I thought that was the name of those things you put in fish tanks to clean them out. Plycostomos? Or something I don't remember.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Mine describes me perfectly.

6. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I use my nickname with 'share' because when I write, I'm always sharing a part of myself, regardless of the topic. To me, it's an exercise in giving my readers something substantial, not just imparting information.

7. profile image0
    thechroniclerposted 11 years ago

Saint Nestor the Chronicler was a Russian monk and writer who authored several works on the history and people of Kiev in what's now the Ukraine. He and his fellow monks were tasked with gathering facts, details and reports on what the higher-ups ( i e the royalty and ruling class) deemed important. It occurred to me early on that what I was doing was similar in terms of gathering information from various Internet sources and creating something new out of the information. This particularly applied when I was writing for content companies where I did not pick the topic and was given instructions based on what someone else deemed most important. I still write for them, just not quite as frequently as in the past.

Apparently Nestor the original Chronicler did such a good job that the Russian Orthodox Church canonized him after he died around the year 1114. I don't have any Russian heritage (that I know of anyway); I just liked the story and the concept. So that's how I picked my HubPages name, the name of my main blog, the name of my YouTube channel and just about any username I have on various other sites. That's more a matter of convenience now because I don't have to think of anything new and I want to keep my real name making minimal appearances on the web. I guess I almost could have created a whole hub about this LOL Thank you for reading!

8. Quilligrapher profile image72
    Quilligrapherposted 11 years ago

A scribe dipping into an aging inkwell to share ancient memories with a new age.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

9. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

My name is officially registered in the Book of Heraldry along with my own device (crest).  I used to be a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anacronism, the largest privately owned army in the world) and was a champion rapier fighter.  We had to come up with a unique name and device (crest).  I'm registered with the FBI under this a/k/a.  Sarra was my daughters name (she passed as a baby) and Garrett means 'unfinished room under a roof' in other words an attic. 

I used to have an online store called Sarra's Attic.  I also made historically accurate cloth dolls from the renaissance period and sold them at the wars we had under Sarra's Garrett.  Hence my official name of Sarra Garrett.  See my hub about What your name means. 

It was a blast to research for my official renaissance name as no name in the Book of Heraldry can be duplicated however the spellings were very important for the period you were 'living'.

1. lindalou1963 profile image60
      lindalou1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra... this is very interesting, thanks for sharing!!

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you are very welcome

10. Any Other Voice profile image59
    Any Other Voiceposted 11 years ago

The importance of speaking up, and the power of an unfamiliar voice.

11. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I have good and bad patches. In every area of life and work.

12. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

My first name (because I'm apparently very vain and I like the sound of my own name) and 11 because Shanna was already taken, and I graduated high school in 2011.

It's really a boring story. tongue I need to spice it up a little.

1. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
      Kathryn Stratfordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shanna is a pretty name, so it is ok to like the sound smile

13. lindalou1963 profile image60
    lindalou1963posted 11 years ago

linda is my real name, however lou is not my middle name, it's just what everyone calls me... so I adapted it as my 'pen name'. 1963  is the year I was born. smile

14. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

My real name is Lisa. Hollie is my daughter's name and Thomas my sons.

15. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

A few things. My name is Brian, yet some friends just call me Bri for short...There's Bri.

The next two is I am a Man and I like Candy. So put the three together. Brimancandy.

I have also been called man candy. That has a little to do with it as well. LOL!!

16. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

My username is actually a sort of acronym for my real name

Cardisa =
    Car - Carolee
    Di - Diane
    Sa - Samuda

I started a company some years ago and registered Cardisam Ltd. but for HP I dropped the "m" because Cardisa sounded more natural, like a real name.

17. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 11 years ago

I like mythology from all over the world and throughout history whether I believe in it or not. Norns are Norse beings who rule over destiny. When I made my Hubpages account, I was feeling warm and fortunate... so, "Norn's Mercy" just popped into my head and BAM.

big_smile

18. misstoughcookie97 profile image60
    misstoughcookie97posted 11 years ago

My username is misstoughcookie97.

I've been doing karate for over 10 years now. I was never one of the 'big kids' yet I'm strong and smart. At training, I fight guys in their 20s and 30s who are 6"+. I've developed the name misstoughvookie through that.
    97 is my birth year.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow... that really is tough!  Especially coming from a 15 year old on HP roll

I am sure though that you are not the only girl who has grappled with 6 inch men!  yikes

I know my sister used to always complain that 3 inch men who used to always try to 'flip her' she said!  sad

But most short guys often just give up when they are attacked by a larger woman, don't they?  smile

1. Any Other Voice profile image59
        Any Other Voiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha.

19. JimTxMiller profile image76
    JimTxMillerposted 11 years ago

My username is my brand identity, my given name and surname with my birth state in the middle. I use this username for everything online; Linkedin, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, WordPress, Blogger and here at the Hub. Makes me easier to find, and I can type it in my sleep now!

20. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

The Eternal September, the day the Internet both died and rose anew.

1. eternals3ptember profile image60
      eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or less specifically, month, or even year, take a pic.

21. seanorjohn profile image73
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

My user name is Seanorjohn . Sean is the name I go by. Sean is Irish for John. My birth certificate says John and so does my passport. However most of my documents such as Bank cards Driving Licence etc are registered in the name Sean. This is what happens when you are born to an English father and Irish mother. It has caused me a few difficulties on occasion. Almost missed aflight because of booking in the name of Sean and turning up with passport saying Sean.

22. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I bought this ID off someone who was already on HubPages.  They said and I quote "I'm pulling 4 g's a week with this ID but I have to leave the country".

I negotiated him down to $2,500 dollars for the name plus articles.

No sooner had the money left my account then I log in to find he deleted all the good stuff and left me with a load of crap about stickmen.

1. seanorjohn profile image73
      seanorjohnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That explains everything. Thanks for being so honest. A rare thing in the internet age. I have just set up a new Hub account called "stickman". Perhaps I can make my fortune through this monicker.

23. UnnamedHarald profile image91
    UnnamedHaraldposted 11 years ago

When the company I worked at was a good place to work, we used the company's LAN to play a lot of first-person shooters and so the employees could destroy each other over lunch. I had a habit of not signing in and so the games assigned me the name of "UNNAMED SOLDIER". The other players gave me a raft of s#!t and started calling me "Unnamed" during work hours. I decided that was okay, but it needed something more identifying, more unique. It so happens I have an uncle named Harold who was on the (London) Metropolitan police force years ago and I've always thought the Nordic "Harald" was cool. You can Google "David Hunt" till Doomsday and never find me, but Google "UnnamedHarald" and I'm all over that first page.

24. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/27722/990225-fatfr_cat_large.jpg

"Fat Freddy's Cat" is a character in my all time favorite underground comic book series, "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" by Gilbert Shelton. The Cat is sort of like a hippie "Garfield" and he serves as the voice of reason in the strip, as he is way more intelligent than the three stoners he lives with.  I'd been using "FatFreddysCat" as an online alias on various internet forums and bulletin boards for years, so when I joined HubPages I saw no reason not to continue the tradition.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
      A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I saw the Zaps in the day. I would be Mr. Natural, except that it isn't even close to an original thought.

25. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

It means I drive by and make a relevant quip. If your response interests me, I may stay and elaborate on the subject or banter incessantly . . . the choice is yours.

1. brimancandy profile image80
      brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds very much like a line from "The Big Bang Theory." TV show.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
        A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right. Not quite.

26. mary615 profile image84
    mary615posted 11 years ago

Well, my real name is Mary, and I can't divulge what the 615 means.  One of my pet peeves are Hubbers who choose user names that are 4 or 5 syllables long and hard to type.  When I respond to a comment, I like to "call" the Hubber by their user name.

1. JimTxMiller profile image76
      JimTxMillerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree totally, Mary, about the multisyllable thing and even curse myself at times when I have to type my username! Feel free to type me Jim! ;0)

27. Scottie Futch profile image66
    Scottie Futchposted 11 years ago

I just used my real name for this site. I'm all over the place on the net now anyway, so might as well be real.

28. fastfreta profile image76
    fastfretaposted 11 years ago

My name is Alfreta, aka, Freta, and I've been known to do things very fast. So my friends have called me, over the years,  fastfreta,  the name has taken on a life of it's own, so I adopted it for this site.

1. Abbyfitz profile image73
      Abbyfitzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I was a girl I liked to draw. I would always draw this one girl and I named her Abby fitzsimmons. I eventually started signing all my drawings Abby Fitzsimmons. When I joined hubpages I considered this another creative outlet so I stuck with the same name but shortened it to fitz.

29. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I teach and compete in dog agility.  In American Kennel Club agility, the highest title you can get is the Master Agility CHampionship title (MACH), and one of my shelties has four of these titles.  Another is 1/2 way to getting his MACH.  I use "Agilitymach" on a few other sites including youtube.

I also write about dog agility and dogs in general, so my name is descriptive to my main writing topics.

30. ptosis profile image69
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

ptosis means "droopy'. My grandma had ptosis of the eye, (upper eyelid hanging over pupil) - mostly in Asian folks even though she is all German.

My full net name is ptosis theseus as in sleepy eyed wrestler like in the saga of Beowulf fighting Grendel who pretended to be asleep so that the monster would come close enough for Beowulf to grab and twist the arm off from the shoulder socket since Grendel was protected with spells from edge of iron.

BTW Theseus is the guy who took a knife, (given by the witch Ariadne), into the maze of the Minotaur - basically - cheating at the wrestling match.

hehehehehehe

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7524485_f248.jpg

31. Saloca profile image87
    Salocaposted 11 years ago

My username is an acronym for my actual name smile

32. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

We are traveling Australia and love to free camp wherever possible ! Soon we will be exploring Europe/Britain/USA /Canada and still hope to do some free camping as we are on a budget !
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3217428.jpg

1. freecampingaussie profile image62
      freecampingaussieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We did a lot of free camping around Europe and the UK + Ireland .Now in Spain!

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12213929_f248.jpg

33. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 11 years ago

The meaning of my user name Astra Nomik was not planned - it was initially to respond to a word astronomic. (It refers to Astronomy or something immense or of enormous magnitude.)  It is something that friends used to ascribe to some of my poems and writing when I was in school. I didn't think anything of it, except smiled at it, and I was never called never called Astra, though it's a nice name.

I also wanted to ensure that I came first in Search Engines in any look-ups for that word. LOL.

34. JyurriOukan profile image60
    JyurriOukanposted 11 years ago

Jyurri Is a translation of my name in another language. And Oukan is the meaning of my last name translated in that same language.

35. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I was supposed to used my pen name I was using when I was still a child thinking of being a writer, but I changed my mind and used my real name instead because I was thinking that I´m sharing my real me.

36. Anaydena profile image82
    Anaydenaposted 11 years ago

My username, Anaydena, is a combination of all three of my children's names (Anaya, Ayden, and Layla). My username use to be Anayamama - when it was just my daughter, then it became Anaydena for my daughter, Anaya, and my son, Ayden. When my youngest was born I tagged an 'a' at the end to create Anaydena. Every since my youngest was born in 2008 my username, no matter what site I am on, has been Anaydena. You can even search Anaydena and find me everywhere. I have made a brand name for myself online and it helps to keep my username constant.

37. profile image0
    Aleister888posted 11 years ago

Personally i am a Musician, and "Aleister Solandris" is my stage name in my local band, so i tend to use the variation Aleister888  for gaming and things like that.

Where did the "idea come from" ... the top of my head smile

Very interesting to hear the back story of peoples names on the boards ^_^ keep the tales coming.

38. ct92 profile image67
    ct92posted 11 years ago

It's pretty much just my initials and birth year. Not very fancy wink

39. Ivan Ivanov profile image60
    Ivan Ivanovposted 11 years ago

Ivan = Bulgarian (russian) version of John big_smile

It means the one who is closer to god, or something like that .. smile

40. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

The name most people know me by is Tom.   I have long been an oral storyteller, telling my tales to live audiences as well as writing stories.  Some time back a fellow, whose group I had addressed many times, began to refer to me as Tusitala Tom.   He told me that the word meant 'Storyteller' in Polynesian; that the great Robert Louis Stevenson was known by this name.

He continued to introduce me to his group as a Tusitala so, eventually, when I discovered Hubpages, I decided to use the name - hence Tusitala Tom.

41. Theophanes profile image90
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

I traced the history of my given name (Typhani/Tiffany) as far back as I could and came up with its masculine ancestor. I felt I often wrote in a masculine tone so my moniker should match.

42. livewirez profile image70
    livewirezposted 11 years ago

The meaning of my username which is "Livewirez" is energetic person.

43. Sphinxs Sanctum profile image60
    Sphinxs Sanctumposted 11 years ago

The Sphinx of Greek Mythology was known as "The Great Riddler," which I identified with because I tend to write poetry where most readers would need to think about the meaning of the words for themselves.  I also quite enjoy the strength & image that the Sphinx gives as she was said to have the head and breasts of a woman, the wings of an eagle, and the body and feet of a lion.  (I'm a Leo.)  She was a beast; a demon of arcane wisdom. I should only hope to someday possess some degree of wisdom, but like the Sphinx, I am made of many parts; as we all are. Wouldn’t it be a wondrous thing to have the physical power of the lion, the mystery of a woman and the ability to fly?

Writing takes me to a safe, secure, inviolable place; hence the second half of the pseudonym “Sanctum.” When I asked myself what would the Sanctum for the Sphinx be, my answer was, it would have been a safe haven which contained an atmosphere, a barrier – preventing anyone from ever guessing the correct answers to her riddles.  For if they correctly guessed the answer, she would die.  When Oedipus correctly answered her riddle, she threw herself from her perch to her death.  Anyhow, I felt a connection in many ways to the Sphinx.

44. profile image0
    Timothy Andersonposted 8 years ago

Test?

45. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

Mine is my name. When I came back to HP after several years, I forgot that spaces count. Hence Bronwyn Joy Ellio (Bronwyn Joy Elliott)

46. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Phyllis is of Greek origin and means 'greenery', 'idealized country lass'.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)